PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Else Go Through Phases?

Talon167
11-25-14, 11:30
By 'phases' I mean, this is my favorite pistol/platform. I know I do. For all intents and purposes, HK is my favorite pistol company. I always used them c&l but about a year ago I started converting to Lite LEM. It doesn't really matter what day of the month, if you offered me a million dollars for all my guns except one, I'd be keeping a P30 V1.

That being said, I seem to go in phases as to which is my favorite gun and it usually lasts a couple weeks. HK, Sig, and Glock are my three go-tos but sometimes I'll grab my M&P Pro, or 92FS. Anyway, this round seems to go to Sig. Just took my 226 Combat to the - static, indoor unfortunately - range and couldn't miss. I was getting along quite well with her today, and a lesser man would have bought the M11-A1 they had there on the way out... but I'd rather buy ammo for my current at this point. Doing what I could at the range: accuracy drills, box drills, DA/SA (of course), double taps, etc.

I'm on a high with Sigs right now. In a couple weeks I might be back to my HKs, Glocks, or maybe even my 1911. Am I alone here, or are most of you guys one-platform types?

bowietx
11-25-14, 11:35
My phases of trying to find a handgun that I really and truly could believe in and stop searching for something else ended with the VP9. This is the only gun that comes out of the safe to shoot at this point. Before that I would alternate back and forth between several. That said my P226 will never leave my possession, it is always a welcome sight and pleasure to shoot!!

Uni-Vibe
11-25-14, 16:15
I suppose so. I got into 1911s in the late 1970s. Them and the Hi-Power. And my primary carry gun is a 1911 now.

Psalms144.1
11-25-14, 16:19
I've done this since I bought my first firearm (an HK91) way back in 1987. ALWAYS looking for the next best thing. Oddly enough, I always end up back at the G19, even though I find it the least accurate platform for me, and I'm in the accuracy trumps everything (except reliability) camp. It's just that the G19's package of shootability, reliability, and size efficiency always drag me back from more accurate platforms that are larger, heavier, have significantly reduced capacity, or a combination of any of those factors...

Early in 2014, I made myself a vow that I would shoot NOTHING but the Glock platform, primarily the G19 (a little G23, G26, and G30S thrown in). I initially realized a measurable accuracy and performance improvement, but that plateaued about April. Since then, I've been shaving hundredths of seconds off draw, split, and reload times, but my accuracy is still significantly short of what I can accomplish with my HKs, Sigs, or 1911s.

Regards,

Kevin

RHINOWSO
11-25-14, 17:55
Weekly? Ah, no.

Uni-Vibe
11-25-14, 18:04
Maybe the same story as with guitar players. Some of them are always buying, trading and selling guitars and amps, looking for the magic mojo.

And then there's Uni-Vibe. Les Paul and Marshalls from forever. Just like 1911 and Hi-Power. No phases here.

Come to think of it, there are more parallels. Internet guitarists are looking for that forty year old tube to put in their amp, or some kind of magic capacitor in their guitar, in the hope that it'll make them sound like a real guitar player. They don't know --i.e. won't admit--that the tone's in the hands and ya gotta have Talent. The real guitar players that play in bands don't worry about "new old stock" tubes. They plug in and rock. Same for shooters. They'll worry about the minutiae, real or imagined, in the latest hi-tech bullet. Guys that are more concerned about street survival get a load that works, and go shoot.

ritepath
11-25-14, 18:34
For me I try and avoid trendy anything....I work to buy things my shooting friends don't have. I don't have interest in buying two of any type normally, but after buying my first CZ I'm finding the need for others. I just picked up a P-09, and while I really don't have reason for any other CC firearms (shield & LCP) I find myself interested in the P-07 in 40 for woods work (plus I have a set of unused 40 dies). I don't have an all steel 9mm so I need a 75 for sure.

Kain
11-25-14, 18:38
Yeah. There will be one gun that I end up playing with, shooting, and taking to the range all the time, and then I'll start playing with something else. Happens. Hell, been dragging an old Bushmaster AR out lately to the range and just screw with it with just the standard carry handle and quite enjoying the rifle. A month before I was runnign the shit out of one of my BCMs. Last year I was shooting my 92 a lot, this year been focusing mostly on Glock. It happens.

WickedWillis
11-25-14, 18:40
I do this mostly with guns I don't own, or what I am planning to purchase next. It changes per week with me of the gun I have to have in my mind. Lately I am bouncing all of the place trying to decide if I am going to buy a Tavor, Build an AR SBR, or build a SB15 build pistol. It changes so much for me. I think what I need to do is buy an Arsenal AK for the 900rds of 7.62 I am not using. It's a constant struggle for me man, and it doesn't help that I get my yearly bonus in two weeks so I will be able to afford something. As far as guns that I own, I love my G19 and my Shield and I switch them up depending on what I am wearing. I agree with the OP though, usually I am an HK, Glock, Sig guy, but I love the handling and reliability of that Shield, and it's the only non Glock or HK handgun that I own. HK is my favorite firearms manufacturer, there rifles just tend to be out of my realistic budget unless I save for the next year...

Bayern
11-25-14, 18:45
Got my first gun when I was about 11 yrs old. It was my Grandfathers .22. My first gun I purchased was a few years later. It was a J. C Higgins 16 ga bolt action shot gun. Been hooked ever since. Now is seems I have more guns then brains.

HKGuns
11-25-14, 19:35
Maybe the same story as with guitar players. Some of them are always buying, trading and selling guitars and amps, looking for the magic mojo.

And then there's Uni-Vibe. Les Paul and Marshalls from forever. Just like 1911 and Hi-Power. No phases here.

Come to think of it, there are more parallels. Internet guitarists are looking for that forty year old tube to put in their amp, or some kind of magic capacitor in their guitar, in the hope that it'll make them sound like a real guitar player. They don't know --i.e. won't admit--that the tone's in the hands and ya gotta have Talent. The real guitar players that play in bands don't worry about "new old stock" tubes. They plug in and rock. Same for shooters. They'll worry about the minutiae, real or imagined, in the latest hi-tech bullet. Guys that are more concerned about street survival get a load that works, and go shoot.

Hmmmmmm......I go through phases.....Guns - Guitars - Amps - Guns - Guitars - Amps

There are at least a couple of universal constants when it comes to tone......Pre '69 Fender Tube amps, with few exceptions are universally full of tone.

Just a small sample of another of my obsessions.

'66 Pro Reverb
http://api.zenfolio.com/cdn/pub/lfqo0zoxzuzt/0/null/mh/rbndedpf6ow409_2n5rv/s11/v3/p176083136-4.jpg?sn=5&tk=w9LTTuPzJB4zFQUvR1_5NKnqxCWH27FJeu8EmgV8V2M=

'61 6BQ5 Tremolux
http://api.zenfolio.com/cdn/pub/lfqo0zoxzuzt/0/null/mh/x2lzw6gmdpps-pkbu5xo/s9/v2/p374309493-4.jpg?sn=5&tk=ySma7ZpdUj1X3qQn9K-8IRk7Zwa5PHY2pBvPo5B6KuQ=

buckshot1220
11-25-14, 19:54
I bounce back and forth between HKs w/ LEM triggers and Glocks. Right now I am solidly locked up in Glock because that's what I've started shooting in IDPA. I'm waiting to see if HK comes out with a VP9L, VP9SK or some .45 VP variant before investing in any more HK products. I went through about a month long phase where I rented several different M&Ps at some local ranges. They feel great in my hand, but I could never manage to get them even remotely close to my Glock and HK groups. I have no doubt the gun can do it, but I guess something just doesn't jive with me even though I wanted it to.

From time to time I become fascinated with 1911's and older Sigs. I've always managed to hang on to my money, though one day soon I know I'll cave. I'm dying to add a nice steel framed gun with some beautiful wood grips to the collection.
\

MountainRaven
11-25-14, 20:31
I've done this since I bought my first firearm (an HK91) way back in 1987. ALWAYS looking for the next best thing. Oddly enough, I always end up back at the G19, even though I find it the least accurate platform for me, and I'm in the accuracy trumps everything (except reliability) camp. It's just that the G19's package of shootability, reliability, and size efficiency always drag me back from more accurate platforms that are larger, heavier, have significantly reduced capacity, or a combination of any of those factors...

Early in 2014, I made myself a vow that I would shoot NOTHING but the Glock platform, primarily the G19 (a little G23, G26, and G30S thrown in). I initially realized a measurable accuracy and performance improvement, but that plateaued about April. Since then, I've been shaving hundredths of seconds off draw, split, and reload times, but my accuracy is still significantly short of what I can accomplish with my HKs, Sigs, or 1911s.

Regards,

Kevin

Have you thought about getting somebody to drop a Bar-Sto or maybe a Wilson into your Glock?

Psalms144.1
11-25-14, 20:47
Have you thought about getting somebody to drop a Bar-Sto or maybe a Wilson into your Glock?I tried a KKM drop in with very minimal improvement in accuracy, and HUGE decrease in reliability (2-3 FTF per magazine at a minimum). I've thought about going for a fitted barrel, but not sure I want to invest half the price of the pistol on a barrel that might not "fix" it...

Do you have anyone you'd recommend for a fitted barrel?

SkiDevil
11-25-14, 22:51
Phase over 20 years: Glock, to SIG, and Finally HK.

I can't wrong you on the choice of a SIG 226, because it is still one of my favorites. I currently own three and still use them regularly, but primarily shoot and carry HKs in 9mm and .45 ACP.

I am currently bouncing between a HK USP 9mm compact and an two HK 45 models. The reason I have found myself gravitating towards the HKs is because of the reliability and lower frequency of maintenance and parts replacement.

July Johnson
11-25-14, 22:54
My fav is my Glock 21. It shoots great and never jammed.

nate89
11-25-14, 23:08
I went through a phase where I just wanted to try one of everything. Sadly I never really shot many of them enough to truly know if I liked it. That was before I started handloading, and before I had gone to any classes, and honestly sucked pretty bad when it came to shooting. After getting into competition and more regular practice, I bought a 226 and have stuck with it for about 6 months and 3-4000 rounds. I am by no means an expert, but am a much better shooter now than I was a couple of years ago. I will be shooting a Glock and an M&P that belong to a friend next year and will hopefully decide which I prefer, then stick with it.

Omega Man
11-26-14, 01:09

Regards,

Kevin

This basically describes me except i have mostly settled on the VP9. I can't seem to stay completely away from Glock though, even though the VP9 smokes Glock in accuracy.

badness
11-26-14, 06:36
i don't go through phases. I spent a lot of money in years past buying this gun and that gun.....but that was only because I was new to firearms and didn't really know what I liked until I had tried out a dozen different handguns. I came to the conclusion that I like HK's and 1911's. HK's because they're one of the few manufacturers out there that make a DA/SA with a safety on it to allow me to keep it condition 1 cocked and locked. That being said, it's pretty obvious why I like 1911's because of practically the same reason. That's just what I am comfortable with. I love the way 1911's look and love the way they shoot. HK's are also damn reliable and its finish on the slide and barrel are damn near corrosion proof.

Uni-Vibe
11-26-14, 09:32
Hmmmmmm......I go through phases.....Guns - Guitars - Amps - Guns - Guitars - Amps

There are at least a couple of universal constants when it comes to tone......Pre '69 Fender Tube amps, with few exceptions are universally full of tone.

'66 Pro Reverb
http://api.zenfolio.com/cdn/pub/lfqo0zoxzuzt/0/null/mh/rbndedpf6ow409_2n5rv/s11/v3/p176083136-4.jpg?sn=5&tk=w9LTTuPzJB4zFQUvR1_5NKnqxCWH27FJeu8EmgV8V2M=

'61 6BQ5 Tremolux
http://api.zenfolio.com/cdn/pub/lfqo0zoxzuzt/0/null/mh/x2lzw6gmdpps-pkbu5xo/s9/v2/p374309493-4.jpg?sn=5&tk=ySma7ZpdUj1X3qQn9K-8IRk7Zwa5PHY2pBvPo5B6KuQ=

How 'bout this for a "constant?"

Surf
11-26-14, 12:28
I don't really go through phases of what I think is better as I think I have it pretty worked out. However, I am a gun guy in the sense that I like a wide variety of firearms and I don't adhere to the I am only going to shoot one platform and caliber, because of the BS slogan of "fear the man with only one gun". Having said that, I know what my critical use weapons are train heavily with them, but I very much enjoy purchasing other weapons and shooting them for my enjoyment of the hobby. I will add that I am not rigid or brand loyal so I am most definitely always searching for that better weapon or set up to replace or improve my go to weapons / gear.

CAVDOC
11-26-14, 18:09
I went through lots of phases- old classic then modern tactical then back any so on. I find I sway back and forth less as I age and stick with the classics 1911's and smith revolvers. Do have a couple glocks but all my other modern tactical stuff is gone( I kept the gocks as opposed to the beretta hk sigs etc due to shooting gssf matches) over several decades have found my self reverting to the old stand bys. I do not get caught up in the flavor of the week stuff anymore. Good enough is good enough. Not much left to market that is any giant leap over what we already have and are used to

Stengun
11-26-14, 19:21
Howdy,

I've been through phases too.

Started with 1911A1s at age 12.

Switched to Glock 20 10mm at age 29

Switched to a Glock 23 at age 42.

At age 50 I still have all of them and my edc is the G23

Paul

jmp45
11-26-14, 19:54

'66 Pro Reverb

'61 6BQ5 Tremolux

The Pro is a beauty... Phases here too, less range time this year, more guitar playing. I've been updating my pedal boards lately..

http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff386/bfmcgee/board1200_201412_zps6faced39.jpg

Studio..

http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff386/bfmcgee/img_1031b_zpsc39b8900.jpg

The Guitarists Thread..

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?96399-Guitarists

MegademiC
11-26-14, 20:18
I'm at the "I'll get good with whatever" phase. I chose a CZ first to start cause I thought the gun mattered a lot. Then I realized how bad I was and the CZ had no support, so I got an M&P(and its more accurate, even though the cz had an SAO trigger). Theres a lot of guns I "want" but I don't think it would really matter in terms of performance.

I went through phases of "what I want/need" before I really got into shooting. I thought grip angle was a big deal(and that I liked straight grips, but I've come to prefer angled grips like glock), and recoil, and comfort. I used to handle guns that felt good and REALLY wanted them(its how I ended up with a CZ). After getting decent with the M&P, I had an opportunity to shoot some of them, and realized my performance didn't magically skyrocket.

To see the gun make a difference, I believe you either have to be fairly mediocre, or REALLY good. I'm not at that latter level yet.

Again though, I could see the "I like this gun" feeling changing on occasion, but for a go-to? No.

wildcard600
11-27-14, 02:21
I've been through a couple of pistol phases, most last a couple of years. Back in the 90's i was all about DA revolvers which eventually led me to DA/SA autos. Around 2004 i thought striker fired pistols were hot shit, then lost interest and got heavy into 1911's in 2008, and have migrated back to DA/SA since about 2010. DA/SA autos just seems to work best for me over the largest range of uses, but i still kept most of the other pistols as i enjoy shooting them.

danasaki
11-27-14, 11:02
Pistol phases, yes. Shotgun phases too. Rifle, not so much.

Pistol was rotating between 1911 (Kimber and Colt) and my G17. Now I have sold all my 1911's (waiting to get a Les Baer) I am torn between G17 and my newly acquired VP9. However, throw into the mix the Sig I am planning on Black Fridaying and I will really have a competition going. I still have a love for the 5" steel 1911 and it will certainly have its place as I shoot it best and it carries most comfortably, but I have an interest in the 9mms too as they serve their role very well. I own and have trained with an M&P9 extensively as well, it just does not have that "personal touch" for lack of better description that the other pistols have with me.