PDA

View Full Version : angled 45 degree sights

urmaker45
11-25-14, 15:29
Im looking for a set of angled 45 degree backup irons I'm putting a scope on the rifle and don't want to pay 150 -200 for them anybody know of any decent ones like maybe 50-75 bucks?

GH41
11-25-14, 16:26
Please tell us why you want offset backups??

urmaker45
11-25-14, 17:00
If you read my post I'm putting a scope on it that's why a 2.5 to 10 power. Does anybody have good imput?

LightningFast
11-25-14, 17:07
Nothing in your price range. Gotta pay to play, unfortunately.

Not sure why you need BUIS on a rifle set up like that though. Other than for online operator status.

GrahamKAC
11-25-14, 17:15
MBUS pros are recently available in offset backups. Probably your most cost effective version vs the KAC offering. Your still looking around $150 depending on where you find them.

Jwknutson17
11-25-14, 17:25
You could try something like this. Just a quick search and amazon has these... http://www.amazon.com/American-Degree-Offset-Transition-Backup/dp/B00I4ES4TI/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1416957840&sr=8-5&keywords=off+set+sights

Anything quality will be in the 200+ dollar range though.

Hope that helps..

GH41
11-25-14, 17:31
If you read my post I'm putting a scope on it that's why a 2.5 to 10 power. Does anybody have good imput?

Please answer the question. Why do you want offset backup sights? Why do you need them? It's really an easy question.

GH41
11-25-14, 17:34
MBUS pros are recently available in offset backups. Probably your most cost effective version vs the KAC offering. Your still looking around $150 depending on where you find them.

Where do you find these for $150??

urmaker45
11-25-14, 17:45
Please answer the question. Why do you want offset backup sights? Why do you need them? It's really an easy question.
Cause this is not a bench gun will be used duty use and If I need to engage at close range or if the scope is damaged most importantly Ill have back up sights that can be immediately used .

Long Range Trigger Monkey
11-25-14, 17:53
You could buy the cheap offset sights off of Amazon but honestly you probably won't be happy with them. I've shot with a few guys that have them and just about every one of them has complained that they rattle, especially the rear sight, and one guy even put epoxy on the windage screw after he zeroed it to make sure it didn't move.

If this is going to be for duty use I would spring for a quality set. Griffin Armament makes a nice quality set of offset irons for under $200, the new Magpul's are under $200 also so that's not too bad for piece of mind knowing that they'll always be zeroed and secured to the gun.

Jwknutson17
11-25-14, 18:27
You could buy the cheap offset sights off of Amazon but honestly you probably won't be happy with them. I've shot with a few guys that have them and just about every one of them has complained that they rattle, especially the rear sight, and one guy even put epoxy on the windage screw after he zeroed it to make sure it didn't move.

If this is going to be for duty use I would spring for a quality set. Griffin Armament makes a nice quality set of offset irons for under $200, the new Magpul's are under $200 also so that's not too bad for piece of mind knowing that they'll always be zeroed and secured to the gun.

I agree that the options under 180 dollars are not good. Eat PBJ's and save your pennies for a month, and buy some KAC offsets.

GrahamKAC
11-25-14, 19:37
Where do you find these for $150??

Retail is the same as the standard pro sights. Those can be had for around the $150 range. I'd imagine somebody is going too have a Black Friday special, or we will see prices come down in the future to where the original pros are now.

I've got a set of regular pros and kac flip ups and much prefer the kac. Depends on the purpose of the gun. If we're talking duty guns where lives can be on the line, why worry about an extra $30?

Iraqgunz
11-25-14, 19:53
Well since you stated it's going to be a "duty gun" maybe it would be a good idea to get some good sights.

Cause this is not a bench gun will be used duty use and If I need to engage at close range or if the scope is damaged most importantly Ill have back up sights that can be immediately used .

GH41
11-25-14, 19:55
Retail is the same as the standard pro sights. Those can be had for around the $150 range. I'd imagine somebody is going too have a Black Friday special, or we will see prices come down in the future to where the original pros are now.

I've got a set of regular pros and kac flip ups and much prefer the kac. Depends on the purpose of the gun. If we're talking duty guns where lives can be on the line, why worry about an extra $30?

In other words you are blowing smoke up the OP's ass.

GH41
11-25-14, 20:13

In other words you want to get the cheapest sights possible for a weapon that you may have to depend on to save your ass. I hope your "duty" doesn't include protecting my ass. Why would you want to cheap out on gear as important as backup sights?

VIP3R 237
11-25-14, 20:22
I have a set of the Griffin Armament ones on my 3-gun rifle and they are very solid and high quality, however they do stick out a bit so if I was setting up a duty rifle I would prefer a set of fold down models instead as these have a high snag factor.

VFgunrunners has the Mbus pro fold down 45's for close to $150 shipped.

kevN
11-25-14, 20:32
I think there are at least 4 viable options and maybe more:

Dueck Defense / Surefire RTS (I've had a set for more than 2 years and like them).
Troy Folding 45 degree (recently hit the market, and I put a pair on a new recce, but I haven't had a chance to shake them out)
KAC Folding 45 (been around for a few years, and by all accounts excellent)
MBUS Pro offset (Just landed a little bit after the Troy's, but look to be a good option and may come in a little cheaper than some other options)

There are other options out there to:
Anything that's a chinese cheap copy seems to be dicey.
The XS offset sights aren't in favor.
The JP setup has been around in 3 gun, but doesn't seem super practical to me personally. I don't have first hand experience with them.
The Diamondback sights are just as expensive as the other options, but I think the way they spin out is kind of hokey and I never have been a fan
of their apertures.
GG&G has a set, but I haven't really heard too much about them.

One thing I noticed about the Troy's that I didn't have on the DD RTS I had before was that they need more clearance forward of the charging handle so if you have a cantilever/scope mount that's sitting farther back on the rail you may have to adjust some things. I *ALMOST* had to slide my scope back in the mount and move the whole thing forward but I was OK by 1 pic rail slot.

Long Range Trigger Monkey
11-25-14, 20:50
I run the Griffin sights too and they actually stick out about the same distance as my Surefire G2 in a VTAC mount mounted to the 12 o'clock rail. I don't see them as anymore of a snag hazard as a weaponlight would be.

The issue of having to provide more room for the fold down sights that kevN mentioned is also the primary reason I'm going to stick with fixed offset sights. With those I can leave my magnified optic in place and zeroed while I attach the offset sights and only have to zero those at the range.

GrahamKAC
11-25-14, 20:54
In other words you are blowing smoke up the OP's ass.

I was trying to suggest an option for OP. Simply making an assumption that there will be deals on them also. My LGS has Pros for $150 a set, and is offering the new style for the same price. I'd happily send them more business should OP be interested.

Here's the price the regulars have fallen too:

http://www.amazon.com/Magpul-Industries-Back-Up-Sight-Front/dp/B00F17RS70

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F17RTT2/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_2?pf_rd_p=1944687522&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00F17RS70&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1B0B121NQBX1TS9T8WW1

Not quite the $150 I was hoping for, but $138.78 will have to do.

There are cheaper sources, but come on, who doesn't love free two day shipping?

No smoke to be blown here.

Steve-0-
11-25-14, 21:10
Saw this thread and i'd have to say the XS option is pretty legit and fast for up close and dirty work. Only thing ive found is that you need to mount them fairly close together (Ie: both on the rail) to get a sight picture.

TacticalMark
11-25-14, 21:29
What mount are you going to use for your Vortex? If you buy a ADM QD you could have the option of running regular BUIS.

urmaker45
11-25-14, 21:33
What mount are you going to use for your Vortex? If you buy a ADM QD you could have the option of running regular BUIS.

Right now I have a larue qd lt120 that I have mounted a scope off my bolt gun I plan to switch back and forth til I'm able to get the vortex then I'm going to put it in a larue lt104 but I dunno if it will be high enough for regular buis. I know the lt120 isn't with mbuis

GrahamKAC
11-25-14, 22:00
I've got a Larue LT104 setup with a Viper PST and it clears both the KAC and MBUS pro rear sights just fine.

I think that the LT104 would be the way to go. If your in the situation where backup sights need to be deployed, the time saved to flip up both front and rear offset sights can't be much different than unlocking the Larue QD levers and ditching the main optic before flipping up standard backup sights.

Also OP, assuming you are some type of LEO, Godspeed to you and yours during this shitstorm we're currently facing. Too many out there don't take the time to appreciate th sacrifices involved. Be safe out there.