PDA

View Full Version : Smith & Wesson/General Dynamics team up for Modular Handgun System

Slater
11-26-14, 04:43
Looks like industry has started to position itself for this latest go-round:

http://www.gd-ots.com/news_release/2014/GDOTS-SW_OTS-11-24-14.pdf

Big A
11-26-14, 06:39
I hope they get it but I doubt they will.

I'd much rather see U.S. manufacturers suppling our military instead of foregin companies.

Grand58742
11-26-14, 06:47
I hope they get it but I doubt they will.

I'd much rather see U.S. manufacturers suppling our military instead of foregin companies.

They still have to produce it in the US. I don't mind a foreign company winning the comp as long as it's the best pistol the military can get.

Big A
11-26-14, 07:19
They still have to produce it in the US. I don't mind a foreign company winning the comp as long as it's the best pistol the military can get.

I know. It's just my Patriotism organ would rather see S&W suppling the guns as opposed to Beretta. I'm not knocking Beretta or the other foregin gun makers. It's just, you know, 'Merica!

I'm just hoping they make something that meets our soldiers needs and works extreemely well to recapture some of the glory and maybe make our allied soldiers from other countries go "I wish we had those."

Slater
11-26-14, 07:31
"News Release, 21 June 2015: In what many regard as a surprise selection in the Modular Handun Competition, Beretta's 92A1 was named the winner. The new pistol is expected to be designated M9A2, and Beretta and the Army tout the savings to be gained in training and parts commonality with existing M9 weapons. Deliveries are expected to begin in the first quarter of 2017"

Wouldn't that be some crap? :D

TiroFijo
11-26-14, 07:48
What does GD brings in? Deep pockets and political influence?

TAZ
11-26-14, 10:23
What does GD brings in? Deep pockets and political influence?

Maybe a couple of engineers that can figure out how to make an MP9 shoot straight. Lol. Couldn't resist. For the record I did own 2 MP9 that were not the limit ling factor to my accuracy.

Big A
11-26-14, 10:37
"News Release, 21 June 2015: In what many regard as a surprise selection in the Modular Handun Competition, Beretta's 92A1 was named the winner. The new pistol is expected to be designated M9A2, and Beretta and the Army tout the savings to be gained in training and parts commonality with existing M9 weapons. Deliveries are expected to begin in the first quarter of 2017"

Wouldn't that be some crap? :D

Honestly I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if that happened. Or they just decide to keep the M9...

TiroFijo
11-26-14, 10:49
Maybe a couple of engineers that can figure out how to make an MP9 shoot straight. Lol. Couldn't resist. For the record I did own 2 MP9 that were not the limit ling factor to my accuracy.

:D I have the feeling that S&W have lots of engineers and resources to solve the accuracy issue, and that makes me wonder why did it took (or still takes?) so long to solve it. Make it right or make $$$?

Sadly, same could be said of almost any maker.

Slater
11-26-14, 10:52
With General Dynamics on board, S&W has a partner to shoulder some of the cost (presumably) of the competition. And someone with extensive experience with government contracts.

Averageman
11-26-14, 15:49
With General Dynamics on board, S&W has a partner to shoulder some of the cost (presumably) of the competition. And someone with extensive experience with government contracts.

That's a good team, I'm rather surprised that GD didn't jump on Colt when they were in trouble.

TiroFijo
11-27-14, 14:46
That's a good team, I'm rather surprised that GD didn't jump on Colt when they were in trouble.

Well, they are in trouble NOW...

FromMyColdDeadHand
11-27-14, 17:30
I'm picturing a swing wing handgun....

trinydex
11-28-14, 16:41
why isn't this in handgun discussion?

Sensei
11-28-14, 23:23
The Army’s draft MHS solicitation identifies design and performance requirements for a new modular handgun system that can be easily adjusted to fit all hand sizes and is optimized for improved gun, ammunition and magazine performance. The Army’s stated plan is to commence the competition in January 2015, with delivery of the first new handgun systems in 2017.

Umm...I'm confused. So, S&W is going to team-up with GD to design a new modular handgun that will be tested sometime in the next 12.5 months? Riiiiight.

Maybe I'm wrong and the S&W fairy godmother can wave her wand a pull a new M&P spin-off pistol out of Chris Costa's ass, but didn't it take HK almost 4 years to design the VP9?

In addition, the letter mentions the M&P pistol, why does S&W need GD for a pistol that already exists?

BVickery
11-29-14, 09:29
Umm...I'm confused. So, S&W is going to team-up with GD to design a new modular handgun that will be tested sometime in the next 12.5 months? Riiiiight.

Maybe I'm wrong and the S&W fairy godmother can wave her wand a pull a new M&P spin-off pistol out of Chris Costa's ass, but didn't it take HK almost 4 years to design the VP9?

In addition, the letter mentions the M&P pistol, why does S&W need GD for a pistol that already exists?

Well, if they are designing it based around the M&P, there is a lot of R&D work done right there. I am also willing to bet that GD and S&W have been working on this for a bit longer than the press release has indicated.

El Cid
11-29-14, 09:48
Well, if they are designing it based around the M&P, there is a lot of R&D work done right there. I am also willing to bet that GD and S&W have been working on this for a bit longer than the press release has indicated.

Or as was mentioned the piece GD brings to the table is expertise and lobbyists for government contracts.

I just checked the GD site... They are heavily into the arms industry beyond just aircraft systems.
http://www.gd-ots.com/productsbycategory.html

And holy crap! They make gatling guns in 50 cal? Not sure it's that practical but I'd love to give one a go!
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=X1VMHQzwDwc