PDA

View Full Version : Otis Gun cleaning kits?

Mojo58
09-22-06, 03:07
I would like to hear some of your opinions about Otis cleaning kits. What you think of their CLP? And generally if any of you are using their products and your experiences. I've been using Kleen Bore's Formula 3 and their TW25B on my USP40 and USP45 Tactical and had good experiences with it but recently discovered this Otis gear.

BetaMO
09-22-06, 10:33
I bought one of the Otis kits when I got my first AR, but I didn't like the pull-through wire device, it was a pain (literally) because I had to wrap it around my hand to get it through the barrel! I also didn't like to have to use their special cleaning patches which were hard to find and pricey.

For field cleaning, I use a Bore-Snake and I like M-Pro 7 cleaning solutions. There is no smell and it does a great job. They have a CLP that I've been using for years and it does a good job.

M-Pro 7 (http://www.mp7.com/)

PS: You can also find it as Hoppe's Elite (http://www.uncle-mikes.com/adtemplate.asp?invky=2416651)

SuicideHz
09-22-06, 11:33
Hell, you can use regular patches. It's just your typical brass jag.

Also, most kits come with a brass screw in adaptor for the other end with a hole in it. Included in the kit should be a brass rod that goes through the hole so you can pull like starting a lawnmower.

The round $28 kits come with this stuff, maybe not the GI buttstock style.

Nitrox
09-22-06, 11:39
They are a good Field expedient kit but that is all.

UVvis
09-22-06, 15:48
Have to agree with what has been said. They are a decent field kit.

I found them much harder and slower to use than a standard rod/jag/patch set up. They are also far less versatile, and is hard to give the chamber a good cleaning with one.

They aren't to bad for cleaning pistols though.

Harv
09-22-06, 16:02
The Most overrated and over marketed cleaning kit the gun world has ever seen.... try getting a stuck casing out of the chamber with a coil or boresnake?

Try cleaning the chamber? or the lugs in the barrel extension?

It's primary purpose is to clean the bore... which is the least important thing on an AR to clean. You can run Beau Coup rds thru a barrel and never touch it.

Know what the Important parts of the AR are to keep clean and use the gear that's targeted to accomplish that task...

Heres all you need.. Minus the carbon scraper...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/harv24/IMG_1089.jpg

STLRN
09-22-06, 19:59
I have to agree with Harv. I got one issued to me and I used it in the field, but the most important parts of the weapon that actually need to the most attention when cleaning it doesn't really work on.

Bill Alexander
09-23-06, 17:06
The quality/utility of the Otis equipment is based on your form of reference. If you have access to benches, cleaning rods, brushes, jags, patches and compressed air guns, the Otis kit is a poor choice as it is much slower and more fiddly to use. In the situation where you must drag your cleaning equipment with you in the field the Otis equipment is the absolute best, but you must be specific about what you need the kit to do and not just opt for the standard "do everything" set. Unlike the bore snakes, the kit will clean more than the barrel and the dirty patches are thrown away so do not drag abrasive back into the gun each time. Equally the kit packs down small and does not rattle like the multi piece rod can. My biggest critisism is that it still uses patches so these need to be stored in a zip lock as do the brushes.

For the M16/AR15 the kit must include the chamber/barrel extension brush, together with a two piece fixed rod and T handle to allow the brush to be used easily. Always get the "tooth" brush and if you ask they will make up a brush for the internal of the carrier and the cam pin slot.

For stuck case/round removal there is a solid brass tip that also doubles as another T handle. Admitedly the pull through is not as easy to use as a single piece rod but is beats standing looking at the weapon and trying to come up with something to poke down the barrel. It is also suprisingly ridgid in compression once it is supported by the barrel so you can beat even very stuck cases out.

Finally for those rifles that are required to engage at longer ranges, you will need to spec in a few things to clean the lenses. A fold away lens brush is invaluable in the dust, preventing scratches from sand/silt.

The CLP in the kit is the same as the issue stuff, just a smaller bottle. It does have a screw top but can still leak

If someone can come up with a flexible oil bottle that will not split, crack or leak out into the rest up the kit, wasting oil that would be a huge step forward.

Bill Alexander

VA_Dinger
09-23-06, 21:08
I have an Otis kit for every single weapon I own. I would be hard pressed to name a better cleaning kit off the top of my head.

I don't use their lube though. Breakfree has always treated me well.

macman37
09-25-06, 21:20
I have one and like it.

It won't replace a one piece coated cleaning rod but it is a good kit.

I use regular CLP with mine.

mark5pt56
09-25-06, 21:41
I see that alot with the bore snakes, people don't clean the chamber and wonder why the thing doesn't work. They're great for revolvers, lever guns, etc .

Shihan
11-16-08, 02:57
I use it for everything and like it :D

Frens
11-16-08, 05:22
I have three of their military kits :D

- buttstock cleaning system ( <--- all you need for the AR15)
- 762/556 sniper cleaning system
- deluxe military cleaning system

IMO, Otis are hard to beat...
once you learn how to use their proprietary patches you can easily use any other patches the same way

Bob
11-16-08, 09:48
I tore the threaded brass 'end' off the cable many moons ago. Granted, I can get pretty 'enraged ape'-like at times, but still, that sort of put me off of Otis kits. This was years ago, though, so maybe they are sturdier now?

Boresnakes for the quick and dirty and (I'm gonna get it for this) USGI kit for detail cleanings every now and again. I cracked a tipton rod not long after my Otis experience and decided screw it, I'm sticking with USGI.