PDA

View Full Version : Magpul Industries shifts HQ to Austin; execs cite Colorado laws as reason for

austinN4
11-28-14, 06:28
I find it ironic that they picked the most liberal city by far in Texas, but glad to have them here.

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/blog/real-estate/2014/11/gun-accessories-company-shifts-hq-to-austin-execs.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+bizj_austin+%28Austin+Business+Journal%29

Edited to add: Here is the brochure on the building - http://oxco.reapplications.com/filecabinet/Trans/004746/8226%20Bee%20Caves_Flyer.pdf
For those that know the area, it is west of 360 near Barton Creek.

Singlestack Wonder
11-28-14, 07:20
I was recently in Austin and I agree on the liberal part. It was almost like being in San Francisco.

austinN4
11-28-14, 07:26
It was almost like being in San Francisco.
Both are sanctuary cities by city policy.

Averageman
11-28-14, 07:56
Should have moved North 25 miles and avoided the traffic and never ending road construction.

Alex V
11-28-14, 08:34
The wife and I loved Austin when we were there for the F1 race. Compare to NJ its conservaive lol. It was at least a step in the right direction lol

So the Magpul HQ is in Tx bud didn't the manufacturing go elsewhere?

SomeOtherGuy
11-28-14, 08:58
I believe some part of the manufacturing moved to Cheyenne, WY a couple months ago.

austinN4
11-28-14, 09:04
I believe some part of the manufacturing moved to Cheyenne, WY a couple months ago.
All of it, I believe.

Pilot1
11-28-14, 09:40
As a former Coloradan, I respect Magpul's decision to leave over some very misguided, and unenforceable laws, that hopefully will be repealed. They put their money where their mouth is, and Beretta, and several others are doing the same thing.

SeriousStudent
11-28-14, 15:12
Interesting. It's probably due to Franklin's BBQ being in Austin.

Who could resist?

Whiskey_Bravo
11-28-14, 15:25

Who could resist?

Franklin's does pull a lot of weight in a decision making process. Not sure I would have picked Austin, maybe north of Austin(Liberty Hill area or similar) but at least they are in Texas.

montanadave
11-28-14, 15:44

Who could resist?

Not I.

Mmmmmm. Brisket.

austinN4
11-28-14, 16:46
I'll thow another one out there - their new building is very very close to Barton Creek Resort & Spa and Golf Course, and the high end residential neighborhoods that surround Barton Creek Resort.

http://www.omnihotels.com/hotels/austin-barton-creek

williejc
11-28-14, 18:20
Welcome to Texas. Some suggestions for surviving Austin: Avoid telling HOMO jokes; don't drop your soap; and don't tell soap on a rope jokes.

TXBK
11-28-14, 19:49
I was going to crack a "steers and queers" joke, but thought that it might be inappropriate.....oh wait. Welcome to The Lone Star State. By the way, don't mess with Texas. :)

FromMyColdDeadHand
11-28-14, 20:52
If they were smart, they kept their warehouse space to lease out to pot growers. Supposedly, there is little to no empty warehouse space in CO, especially around Denver, due to the demand for facilities to grow pot. People are being kicked out of leases because the pot growers literally don't care how much per sqft the rent is compared to normal business uses.

SeriousStudent
11-28-14, 21:45
Not I.

Mmmmmm. Brisket.

Yeah, their brisket is pretty awesome.

Helpful hint - call it in as a "to go" order, and beat the line. I took the minions to Austin one day on a high-speed road trip, and it was worth the drive.

Moose-Knuckle
11-29-14, 17:16
Austin?!

I guess they wanted to be reminded of home (CO), smelly hippies, pot heads, et al.

Naxet1959
11-30-14, 05:32
Maybe they are part of the plan to retake Austin for the good guys... :neo:

Jer
11-30-14, 13:41
Maybe they are part of the plan to retake Austin for the good guys... :neo:

Like they did in Colorado?

tylerw02
11-30-14, 22:34
Seems magpul is kinda liberal, culturally except they dislike gun control. The leadership seems to be rather hipster so of course they will pick a libtard city.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scoutfsu99
11-30-14, 22:47
Lol. Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

Moose-Knuckle
12-01-14, 02:36
Lol. Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

Nah, its more like they are moving away from CO due to the liberal effects of gun control only to end up in the most liberal city in TX. I think we're all exited to have them here.

brickboy240
12-01-14, 11:42
The inner city of Austin might indeed be a very liberal place but the suburbs and outlying areas are redder than red.

This is the same for all big cities in Texas like San Antonio, Dallas and Houston. Inner city areas are left leaning and have been that way for decades while the outlying ares are very red.

Magpul is still tons better off here in Texas than in any part of CO.

RichFitz
12-01-14, 18:24
Seems magpul is kinda liberal, culturally except they dislike gun control. The leadership seems to be rather hipster so of course they will pick a libtard city.

As a company we are libertarian not liberal. We do prefer being the counter culture as it allows us to be ambassadors for personal responsibility and individual freedoms.

As for me personally, I am a former active duty Marine with a shaved head, no beard, no tattoos and I don't own a bicycle. No way in hell would I be confused with a hipster.

tylerw02
12-01-14, 19:28
As a company we are libertarian not liberal. We do prefer being the counter culture as it allows us to be ambassadors for personal responsibility and individual freedoms.

As for me personally, I am a former active duty Marine with a shaved head, no beard, no tattoos and I don't own a bicycle. No way in hell would I be confused with a hipster.

Libertarian and liberal mean the same thing ;)

TXBK
12-01-14, 19:34

Nice clarification, there. So, which one of you had drinks with Perry in the Governor's Mansion while he was trying to woo you to come to Texas?

montanadave
12-01-14, 19:36

Let's keep that on the DL, shall we?

:secret:

tylerw02
12-01-14, 19:39
Let's keep that on the DL, shall we?

:secret:

If only the progressives hadn't hijacked the word, huh?

SeriousStudent
12-01-14, 20:25

We are glad to have you here in Texas. I hope your stay here is enjoyable. If we can be of any assistance, let us know.

I have relatives in Cheyenne, and they were delighted to see your folks up there as well.

SOWT
12-01-14, 22:08

Welcome to Texas.
Austin can be interesting, but no more so then Boulder.
You guys hiring office help?;)

RichFitz
12-01-14, 23:45

The words "Happy" and "Gay" technically mean the same thing but modern interpretation of the word makes them very different.

Libertarian is still associated with laissez-faire capitalism, individual freedoms, personal property rights along with Ayn Rand economics.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libertarianism

Liberalism in the US today is used to exclusively describe "Social Liberalism" which is pro big government welfare-state programs and left wing, Keynesian economics.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberalism

TehLlama
12-02-14, 00:55
If they were smart, they kept their warehouse space to lease out to pot growers. Supposedly, there is little to no empty warehouse space in CO, especially around Denver, due to the demand for facilities to grow pot. People are being kicked out of leases because the pot growers literally don't care how much per sqft the rent is compared to normal business uses.

... and it takes a special flavor of retard to try and take stuff from a building with Magpul propaganda on it.

austinN4
12-02-14, 05:56
Libertarian is still associated with laissez-faire capitalism, individual freedoms, personal property rights along with Ayn Rand economics.
We need more like this in Austin. Glad you are here!

brickboy240
12-02-14, 10:26
It is not as if there are NO other gun related industries in Central Texas.

LaRue, STI, Texas Weapon Systems, Dawson Precision and others call Central Texas home.

Still..oh yes...we are VERY glad Magpul is here in Texas.

Don't let the tattooed, pierced bike riding hipsters scare you...they're pretty much harmless. LOL Texas is much more than those morons...come on now!

-brickboy240

tylerw02
12-02-14, 10:44
I sure hope Texas never turns blue...

Also, I sure hope magpul execs literally said, "you can go to hell, I'm going to Texas" to CO's government. LOL

brickboy240
12-02-14, 11:50
Despite what some say...Texas is still a very long way from going blue.

Oh it could happen...but it will take decades IF it ever happens.

Sure...the influx of Latino immigrants means maybe more democrat voters but I don't think the Latinos are like the blacks and vote en masse for the left every time.

I know many Latinos that love their guns and pickup trucks and big SUVs and are pretty conservative. They are big on family, serious Catholics and are not cool with abortion or gay marriage. It is not a guarantee that all Latinos will always vote left...I would not hang my hat on that...sorry.

Some of the most conservative people I know here are immigrants from Cuba or Argentina....seriously.

SPQR476
12-02-14, 12:09
Austin is also the Capital of Texas. After our experiences in CO, it makes sense to be close to those who make policy. The building is West of Austin, and outside the congestion, at least to some extent.

Plus, the Libertarian thing is at least partially accurate. We're big on freedom to do your thing, period, and the personal responsibility to do it without messing with someone else or their freedom to do their thing, even if you don't agree with it. The Liberal thing, at least in its current usage, is NOT.

brickboy240
12-02-14, 14:12
Welcome to our state! I have tons of your products and love them.

I welcome any and all gun related companies to this state - we will take them all in...thank you!

I would bet that since Gregg Abbott and Dan Patrick take office next term....you will NOT be spending much time in the Capitol pleading your case. Neither of them is remotely close to Hickenlooper.

TXBK
12-02-14, 14:29
Austin is also the Capital of Texas. After our experiences in CO, it makes sense to be close to those who make policy.

Y'all definitely know that as well or better than anyone. Austin does have an outstanding music scene, night life, and tons of outdoor related activities nearby which pretty much cancel out all of the weird, stinky hippies.

Onyx Z
12-02-14, 14:37
Does that mean we have to start paying tax if ordered direct? :fie:

Welcome to Texas!

Moose-Knuckle
12-02-14, 14:45

Austin is also the Capital of Texas. After our experiences in CO, it makes sense to be close to those who make policy. The building is West of Austin, and outside the congestion, at least to some extent.

Plus, the Libertarian thing is at least partially accurate. We're big on freedom to do your thing, period, and the personal responsibility to do it without messing with someone else or their freedom to do their thing, even if you don't agree with it. The Liberal thing, at least in its current usage, is NOT.

Welcome to T E X A S gentlemen, we're glad to have you! :cool:

tylerw02
12-02-14, 15:03
Y'all definitely know that as well or better than anyone. Austin does have an outstanding music scene, night life, and tons of outdoor related activities nearby which pretty much cancel out all of the weird, stinky hippies.

Best concert I've been to was Austin. REK, Wade Bowen, Band of Heathens, and Randy Rogers Band on New Year's Eve.

brickboy240
12-02-14, 16:05
I agree!

The live music, kayaking on Town Lake, mt. biking on one of the many trails close by, hunting the hill country, the many outdoor dining places in the city....all of that out-weighs a few stinky hippies! LOL

I live in Houston but spend quite a bit of time in Austin.

For live music, hit the Austin City Limits Theater, The Continental Club on S. Congress or maybe Stubb's Barbecue's outdoor stage.

Moose-Knuckle
12-02-14, 16:08
The live music, kayaking on Town Lake, mt. biking on one of the many trails close by, hunting the hill country, the many outdoor dining places in the city....all of that out-weighs a few stinky hippies! LOL

Don't forget Hippy Hollow, the only state park that is a swingers paradise oops I mean nudist colony lol.

I live in Houston but spend quite a bit of time in Austin.

We love the Hill Country, we never stay in Ausin proper. Always west out in the rural hills.

tylerw02
12-04-14, 18:03
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/12/04/austin-police-chiefs-remarks-about-gun-enthusiasts-will-likely-have-some-gun-owners-a-little-on-edge/

Oh boy...

jpmuscle
12-04-14, 18:10
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/12/04/austin-police-chiefs-remarks-about-gun-enthusiasts-will-likely-have-some-gun-owners-a-little-on-edge/

Oh boy...

Is that Texas or down state NY? I can't tell.

Austin still doesn't make a lot of relocation sense IMO.

austinN4
12-04-14, 18:38
Is that Texas or down state NY?
He is the CoP in Austin, not the CLEO of Texas. And he is very anti-gun. This is not the first time.
He also will not allow illegals to be held for referral. Also not surprising since Austin is a City Council proclamated sactuary city.
He is also came from California. Surprised?

jpmuscle
12-04-14, 18:39
He is the CoP in Austin, not the CLEO of Texas. And he is very anti-gun. This is not the first time.
He also will not allow illegals to be held for referral. Also not surprising since Austin is a City Council proclamated sactuary city.
He is also came from California. Surprised?
Obviously he's not the CLEO of Texas lol. I was being facetious.

austinN4
12-04-14, 18:47
On a more serious note, I wonder if the Austin area M4C members will get invited to an open house at the HQ?
Hint, hint.

Moose-Knuckle
12-04-14, 19:02

Oh boy...

“And that’s why it’s important for us as Americans to know our neighbors, know our families — tell somebody,” Austin Police Chief Art Acevedo said Monday. “If you know somebody that is acting with a lot of hatred towards any particular group- especially if it’s somebody you know is a gun enthusiast or is armed with these type of firearms and they’re showing any kind of propensity for hatred- it doesn’t mean we’re going to take them to jail, but we might want to vet these people.”

I wonder if this applies to those who could pass for Obama's sons wielding assault hammers?