PDA

View Full Version : recommend a .308 lower

W.E.G.
06-25-08, 17:01
I'm considering buying a .308 lower to serve as a foundation for a future build.

If you were buying just the lower for now, what lower would you recommend, and what are the best choices for sources?

thmpr
06-25-08, 17:05
Armalite vs DPMS is what you should be asking yourself.

Buck
06-25-08, 17:46
Noveske...

W.E.G.
06-25-08, 22:21
C'mon guys, give me a little more to chew on than just reciting the brand-names. I've gotten that far on my own.

Tell me why one rates better than the other. Or if there is really no difference tell me that.

Where to buy?

gishooter
06-25-08, 23:10
I have a DPMS LR308 that I like alot, no problems at all, solid fit, great gun. Same mags as SR25. But if you have big pockects, Noveske. John builds high quality stuff.

Impact
06-25-08, 23:22
I'm going with Noveske N6 "AR10" style myself :D

Buck
06-25-08, 23:53
C'mon guys, give me a little more to chew on than just reciting the brand-names. I've gotten that far on my own.

Tell me why one rates better than the other. Or if there is really no difference tell me that.

Where to buy?

Noveske manufactures a better quality receiver than DPMS or Eagle (Armalite)... They have much higher quality control... There is a difference...

Buy one directly from Noveske...

B

deltaARman
06-28-08, 20:13
I have a armalite ar10 (T) and the gun is great, but if price doesn't matter I would go with a stoner (KAC). I don't have one but a friend of mine has one and I have shot it numerous times I fell in love with it the first time. Noveske makes some great things to (I've heard, no personal experience with the weapon though)

W.E.G.
06-28-08, 21:23
Do the various .308 lowers have generic compatibility with uppers from other manufacturers?

thmpr
06-28-08, 21:30
Noveske---> Armalite Compatible
Fulton---> DPMS Compatible
ASA---> I believe its Armalite since it takes M14 Mags
Hesse---> Armalite
POF----> DPMS
CenterMass---> Both (Need to specify which platform you need)
KW Mfg---> DPMS
JP---> DPMS (They do not sell the lower unit, need to buy complete)

Armalite upper with a DPMS lower can be modified to work but it sure looks ugly!!!

W.E.G.
06-28-08, 22:00
nice chart

thanks!

Impact
06-28-08, 22:24
KAC has a .308 as well.

thmpr
06-28-08, 22:44
KAC has a .308 as well.

I didnt include KAC due to it's cost and availability. KAC is made to fit DPMS mags but not compatible with DPMS uppers.

deltaARman
06-29-08, 00:33
KAC mags are designed like H&K mags, I didn't think they were capatible with DPMS? I could be wrong never really took the time to look at a DPMS mag. Just a thought.

thmpr
06-29-08, 00:35
Mine fits the DPMS mags...

deltaARman
06-29-08, 00:36
I stand corrected ;) Thats pretty cool being KAC ar 10 mags are what like 120 bucks(somethin like that)

LonghunterCO
06-29-08, 19:52
I didnt include KAC due to it's cost and availability. KAC is made to fit DPMS mags but not compatible with DPMS uppers.

KAC was building/selling .308 weapons before DPMS was. So the DPMS mags are copy of the KAC not the other way around.

thmpr
06-29-08, 21:40
My statement is: The DPMS uppers will not fit on a KAC lower. Everyone knows KAC was in the 308 ball game before DPMS (Well I hope everyone does).

FromMyColdDeadHand
06-30-08, 03:25
I think it is interesting that GAP will build-up AR10 or DPMS receivers for their semi-auto rifle. Same price for either also. I emailed and asked which system they prefer, and I got an answer back that addressed some of my other points, but not the AR10vsDPMS point. I guess they want to stay out of that discussion.

It seems the biggest differences are that the DPMS lower is a billet, the upper is extruded. The AR10 upper and lower are forged.

I like the billet part, not the extruded part. (Extruded sounds like making sausage or plastic parts). The whole forged vs billet thing really confuses me. It does seem that the DPMS mags can be had for cheaper. I worry that the AR10 mags are just compromised M14 mags, while I assume DPMS mags being KAC type mags are purpose engineered, plus C Products has a Stainless steel version.

It also seems that the list price for the DPMS lower way high at $400+, and in the $250 range seems.

I too am just looking at lowers to put away for a rainy day project to build up. I'd love to hear what you decide.

FMCDH