PDA

View Full Version : Value of pre-ban Oly Arms CAR-15, best way to go about selling it?

greywolf2112
11-29-14, 16:53
Been out of the game WAY too long so I apologize for not being up on the latest trends, prices, etc. A CAR-15 Olympic Arms that was built in 1993 has come into my possession. Very good condition, has the 11" barrel and 5.5" permanently welded flash suppressor, CAR stock, A-1 carry handle and sights, bayonet lug.

Is it true that these can command a decent $$ from buyers in states like CT or others that have AWB laws in place?

Any idea as to the best way to sell this rifle? BTW - I live in FL.

July4th
11-29-14, 17:23
I'd go to ban state forums and see what they say. I'm in Florida too and I rarely see pre-ban stuff.

greywolf2112
11-29-14, 18:04
Good idea - I just joined the CT gun owners forum - are there any other states where this rifle might get more attention due to laws?

The_War_Wagon
11-29-14, 18:32
I bought one of those EXACT same models in TX in 1996 - allegedly, part of the last shipment of pre-ban Oly's EVER! Sold it years ago in WV for about double what I paid for it (years BEFORE the 2004 sunset). I'd be curious to see what it goes for now, too!

mass-diver
11-29-14, 19:38
Probably worth between $1-1.5k. You can check out www.northeastshooters.com

markm
11-29-14, 19:50
Oly is one of the worst commonly found AR15 manufacturers ever. I'd have SERIOUS ethical issues with trying to sell one of those turds for a premium to someone behind enemy lines.

It'd be one thing if, at least, their lowers were decent, but that is very often not the case.

Sticks
11-30-14, 09:04
11.5" barrel with a 5.5" flash hider?

Novelty?

rocket 442
11-30-14, 09:25
Put it on Gunbroker.

nimdabew
11-30-14, 11:21
Oly is one of the worst commonly found AR15 manufacturers ever. I'd have SERIOUS ethical issues with trying to sell one of those turds for a premium to someone behind enemy lines.

It'd be one thing if, at least, their lowers were decent, but that is very often not the case.

Things are worth what people pay for them. If someone thinks it is worth $1500, and they pay that much, then that is what it is worth.

I usually draw a parallel with wages. People think thier work is worth way more than they actually get, and I ask why they don't get someone to psy that much. It usually shuts them up or they start making excuses why they are where they are for the time being.

justin_247
11-30-14, 11:49

Novelty?

It's a pretty common config amongst older ARs, especially ones from the 90s. I know a person with a Bushmaster that has a configuration like that... it's a really silly gun.

BUT, it did have a nicely staked semi-auto bolt carrier and actually ran pretty well. It has yet to malfunction. I think Bushmaster QC may have been a little better back then.

HackerF15E
11-30-14, 18:43

Novelty?

Mimics the XM177E2 configuration.

Like an A2X gets a 14.5" barrel to the 16" legal length, the 5.5" moderator/flash hider (longer than the stock 4.25" one on the CAR-15) gets you out to the 16" length.

blade_68
11-30-14, 19:02
It's as HackerF15E said
XM177 mimic and Olympic been doing from 80s. Mine is from 80's I've been offered over $1200 in ban years. I'm going to keep my unicorn one. :) it's been a odd bird of reliability.
As Markm said they are the POS of AR's compared with what is available now. Back in 80's they was what available..... Colt was not as pro citizen owned AR.

greywolf2112
11-30-14, 19:46

Novelty?

Sorry, meant 10.5" barrel

Tomac
11-30-14, 21:15

So, could someone in a ban state purchase it and replace everything but the pre-ban lower receiver?
Tomac

^Rb
11-30-14, 21:29
So, could someone in a ban state purchase it and replace everything but the pre-ban lower receiver?
Tomac

Yes..

LoveAR
11-30-14, 21:33

Agree...put that turd on GB.

July4th
11-30-14, 22:03
Tomac
After the sunset of the AWB in 2004 a lot of guys sold their pre-bans for crazy prices to folks behind enemy lines in ban states and turned around and picked up a new production model. Most of the pre-ban stuff in free states has dried up because of the crazy money it can fetch.

I wasn't nearly as savy about weapon buying back then unfortunately. As I grew wiser I found out the train has left the station, at least in Florida.

mark5pt56
12-02-14, 05:58
You guys also remember, at one time Oly set up for you to send in the old "preban" "Stop Sign" cast lowers and they sent you a forged, same serial number lower back.

Bushmaster was a big name back then, remember it was called Bushmaster, Quality Parts Corporation. Comparison to others now, we all know the stories.

In my opinion, two things made the AR what it is today-The sunset of the "Assault Weapons" Ban and the War on Terror.

Alex V
12-02-14, 10:13
Not sure how many states allow Pre-Bans anymore. In NY its a no-go since the SAFE Act, it was never a go in NJ. Maybe CT?

Seems like an auction site is the best bet. Things are only worth what people are willing to pay, an auction is the best way to find that number.

RazorBurn
12-02-14, 10:22
Put it on Gunbroker.

That's exactly what I would do. Even though it's a POS compared to what's available today, it's still a pre-ban and in the commie states it will be a high demand item. Put it on Gunbroker, sit back, enjoy the ride, and get paid.

RussB
12-02-14, 14:03
I'm a CT resident. Pre-ban AR's (along with other firearms) are indeed legal to purchase.

That said, it makes me lose respect for my "brothers" in the gun community who can't wait to charge a shit-ton of money for an otherwise cheap ass AR. No wonder "we" can't come together and make a difference, because there is so much "what's in it for me & screw the next guy to make a buck."

ryantx23
12-02-14, 14:20
I'm a CT resident. Pre-ban AR's (along with other firearms) are indeed legal to purchase.

That said, it makes me lose respect for my "brothers" in the gun community who can't wait to charge a shit-ton of money for an otherwise cheap ass AR. No wonder "we" can't come together and make a difference, because there is so much "what's in it for me & screw the next guy to make a buck."

True statement... Profiteering has hurt our community almost as much as politicians have. I'm sure .22LR is plentiful up in CT right? You know, for $50+ per brick / bulk pack....:mad:

wildcard600
12-02-14, 14:47

Well, i don't believe CT has made it illegal for you to move out of the state, and i really dont see how someone selling you a AR is going to bring anyone together and get rid of the worthless politicians in your state.

Some of us living in "free" states/regions have made many hard life decisions and sacrifices to live in these areas, so to hear someone complain that we are not helping those in the "ban" states smacks a bit of self-righteousness.

Dont like the price ? dont pay it.
Blame the fools buying the pre-ban junk for outrageous prices. supply and demand and all that.

IMO

RussB
12-02-14, 14:50
Well, i don't believe CT has made it illegal for you to move out of the state, and i really dont see how someone selling you a AR is going to bring anyone together and get rid of the worthless politicians in your state.

Some of us living in "free" states/regions have made many hard life decisions and sacrifices to live in these areas, so to hear someone complain that we are not helping those in the "ban" states smacks a bit of self-righteousness.

IMO

I didn't say or ask for any help. Nor did I ask to be bent over either. Maybe we're all just just one big gun related tragedy away from massive gun bans?

wildcard600
12-02-14, 14:56
I didn't say or ask for any help. Nor did I ask to be bent over either. Maybe we're all just just one big gun related tragedy away from massive gun bans?

I guess i did not understand your "come together and make a difference" comment then.

as i said in my edited post, the item is worth what people will pay for it.

have a nice day.

RazorBurn
12-02-14, 15:03
I have no problem with someone making money. It's the American dream. The people who will dictate the price will be those that live in commie states, so the anger shouldn't be directed at a person selling his wares. It's all supply and demand, and yes the price will be well above what a POS Olympic deserves. The potential seller isn't doing anything wrong in selling it. His buyers will set the price and pay it because they have limited options. That's not really his or my problem. This has nothing to do with the "brotherhood". If you want an pre-ban AR you will pay whatever you inherently think it is worth to you, therefore you set the price on your "brothers" not the seller.

Pretty much like the rare and antique guitar market. Trust me, none of my guitar playing "brothers" are going to give me a smoking deal on a Pre-Pro Charvel, or a '74 Les Paul Deluxe Gold Top, or a '56 Strat either... :fie:

TMS951
12-02-14, 15:09
I once lived in a ban state. I purchased a couple pre-ban lowers while I lived there. I think it is fair to mark them up, as there are a finite number of them.

That said you must be honest about what you have. I'd say you have about a 500$ rifle, I think it would be fair to mark it up another 400$ for being pre-ban and complete. So 900$ seems fair to me.

Any one purchasing this should be purchasing it with the intent to strip it down to a bare receiver and rebuild a real gun on it. There is value in the gun being complete, and sold as such when transferring a "pre-ban" gun. I would prefer have the paper work for having bought a full gun and not just a lower.

Singlestack Wonder
12-02-14, 15:12
+10 for putting it on gunbroker. Just as there are people who still by deltron, dpms, rra, etc., someone will buy your oly.

The_War_Wagon
12-02-14, 16:17
Tomac

Yep! Crazy, ain't it?! :rolleyes:

The_War_Wagon
12-02-14, 16:22

CLEARLY, you AREN'T thinking this through.

PAY the higher price, and take the difference off your taxes. :cool:

Call it your, "Gov. Malloy/Sen. Murphy/Sen. Blumenthal" credit. ;)

Cuda444
12-02-14, 16:53
CLEARLY, you AREN'T thinking this through.

PAY the higher price, and take the difference off your taxes. :cool:

Call it your, "Gov. Malloy/Sen. Murphy/Sen. Blumenthal" credit. ;)

You said exactly what I was thinking! I too, live in a ban state... but my job exempts me from that aspect of things. But I feel both sides of the argument personally. That said, anyone need a cherry, vintage PWA commando pre-ban lower? :cool: (seriously, though... PM me if you want it.)

henschman
12-03-14, 10:32
Yes, Gunbroker is the way to go for that type of item. It is hard to assign a value number to it, being that so much of its value stems from its rarity and the artificially restricted markets in the more oppressed lands, but is mitigated by the generally poor quality of those models... the best thing to do IMO is just to put it up for auction and see what value the market assigns to it. There is no more effective or fairer way of determining fair market value than an auction.

That is what I did earlier this year when I received a pre-ban Oly A2 HBAR as payment for legal fees. I ended up getting $960 for it FYI. Since yours is a little "cooler" setup being a carbine, and having the more desirable collapsible stock, I would expect it would bring a little more than mine. When I was selling mine, it looked like the pre-ban carbines were bidding a little higher than the A2 setups.

If I lived in one of those states, I simply wouldn't comply. I didn't during the '94 national AWB, and I won't for any such future law either.

^Rb
12-03-14, 16:08
True statement... Profiteering has hurt our community almost as much as politicians have.

You are smoking crack if you believe this to be true.

Free-market economics. If you don't like it, don't buy it. If you can't buy it, talk to your politicians -- don't blame somebody trying to match supply with demand and/or had the foresight to not get screwed.

ryantx23
12-03-14, 16:16
You are smoking crack if you believe this to be true.

Free-market economics. If you don't like it, don't buy it. If you can't buy it, talk to your politicians -- don't blame somebody trying to match supply with demand and/or had the foresight to not get screwed.

Sure man, whatever you say. I don't have any issues with "needing" anything, I have plenty. I do have a problem with the dudes who troll Academy and Walmart everyday and buy up all the .22 shells. Tell me that doesn't cause problems for the community.

^Rb
12-03-14, 16:20
I do have a problem with the dudes who troll Academy and Walmart everyday and buy up all the .22 shells. Tell me that doesn't cause problems for the community.

I don't do this, but I see your point.

It is what it is, I suppose.

wildcard600
12-03-14, 17:17
Sure man, whatever you say. I don't have any issues with "needing" anything, I have plenty. I do have a problem with the dudes who troll Academy and Walmart everyday and buy up all the .22 shells. Tell me that doesn't cause problems for the community.

And why are they doing that ? cause people will still buy them at inflated prices ? if people would stop paying stupid prices, things like this would not happen.