PDA

View Full Version : 9mm out of a 3.5 bbl

sportyr1200
06-25-08, 20:14
Hey guys,

I have decided to dump my PowR Ball ammo. I tend to carry my ammo for about 1-2 years before getting rid of it and buying new but I do not trust this ammo full heartedly. So my question to you is...(I have looked for the research but cant find what I was looking for so that is why I am asking)

I carry a Kahr P9 and it has a 3.5 inch barrel on it. I am thinking of going back to a 147gr round or maybe a 124gr. With it being a 3.5 inch barrel do I need to carry a +P round in order to get proper expansion or should I be looking into the new Short Barrel Personal Defense line from Speer? I was thinking about the Gold Dots anyways.

Thanks guys and sorry for the redundant question.

Oscar 319
06-25-08, 20:59
The Gold Dot is a good bullet, but in my opinion the GDHP-SB (short barrel) is not neccesary out of a 3.5". The standard will do.

The 135 grn Federal Tactical (+P) always performed well in my 3.5" S&W 6906. It is what all my 9's are loaded with. On the otherhand, it is what I've been issued for years.

Check out the Federal HST line.

The 147's will probably get the nod for better terminal performance.

With any of the bullets, shootablity and reliability should be the most concern. If your gun runs well with the +P and you can handle the stiffer recoil and muzzle flip, then stick with it. If not, the Gold Dots or HST's will not let you down in the standard pressure loadings.

Good choice on getting rid of the PowR ball.

Just my opinion.

ToddG
06-26-08, 07:45
To echo Oscar, I don't think the difference between the 4" test standard and your 3.5" barrel is worth worrying about.

Personally I happen to choose the mid-weight loads. Federal 124gr +p HST is what's in my gun at present. Both the Speer 124gr +p Gold Dot and Winchester 127gr +p+ Ranger are on my "just as good as" list.

And another +1 for 86'ing the Powerball stuff.

sportyr1200
06-26-08, 07:56
To echo Oscar, I don't think the difference between the 4" test standard and your 3.5" barrel is worth worrying about.

Personally I happen to choose the mid-weight loads. Federal 124gr +p HST is what's in my gun at present. Both the Speer 124gr +p Gold Dot and Winchester 127gr +p+ Ranger are on my "just as good as" list.

And another +1 for 86'ing the Powerball stuff.

Yeah I think I am going the Federal HST route or Gold Dots if I cant find any HST's within the week.

Does anyone know where all the hype came from in relation to the PowR Ball ammo? Was it just from the expansion with the polymer ball? I admit I was totally sold when I bought the stuff but then again I was in need since I had shot up all of my Hydra Shoks 147gr by accident.

Thanks for the info guys

ToddG
06-26-08, 08:03
Does anyone know where all the hype came from in relation to the PowR Ball ammo?

The manufacturer, and the mouth-breathing lemmings that believe what they read on the internet.

(which of course raises the philosophical issue of whether you should believe me when I say you shouldn't believe what you read on the internet ...)

sportyr1200
06-26-08, 08:47
(which of course raises the philosophical issue of whether you should believe me when I say you shouldn't believe what you read on the internet ...)

What is the internet?....:D

The dealer was the convincing source this time...not the internet in my case for once.

markm
06-26-08, 11:50
+P is going to raise all velocities across the board. The velocity curve might change some, but in my example you might get 1175 fps out of the 4.5" barrel and 1110 out of the 3.5" barrel. (just as an example - not real data)

+P should get you increased velocity over a standard load, all things equal. Now of course, all things equal, we all want the fasted bullet possible.

Fail-Safe
06-29-08, 12:23
I couldnt care less how fast the bullet is going, so long as I get adequate penetration and robust expansion.

Speed guarantees neither.

My choice is still the 147gr Winchester Ranger Talon(RA9T), and will continue to be until I see evidence to the contrary.

RD62
06-29-08, 13:06
Yeah I think I am going the Federal HST route or Gold Dots if I cant find any HST's within the week.

Check out AMMO-TO-GO that's where I have gotten my HST in both .45 and 9mm from. Fast turn around, good prices, etc every time I have ordered. I've yet to have an issue.

-RD62

Abraxas
06-29-08, 13:15

Does anyone know where all the hype came from in relation to the PowR Ball ammo? Was it just from the expansion with the polymer ball? I admit I was totally sold when I bought the stuff but then again I was in need since I had shot up all of my Hydra Shoks 147gr by accident.

Thanks for the info guys

Streichers is where I get my HST. Here is the page http://www.streichers.com/ProductList.aspx?catalog=Guns+and+Ammo&category=AMMO_DHAND

markm
06-30-08, 08:20
I couldnt care less how fast the bullet is going, so long as I get adequate penetration and robust expansion.

Speed guarantees neither.

True. But lack of velocity guarantees you will achieve neither as well.

Fail-Safe
06-30-08, 11:04
True. But lack of velocity guarantees you will achieve neither as well.

We can go back and forth on this issue, all I'm simply saying is that velocity isnt the most critical thing needed in a pistol round. You stated all things being equal we want the fastest round. The quality 147gr JHPs will have more penetration than midweight JHPs, even when bumped up to +P or +P+, and in many cases, the expanded diameter will be slightly larger. So I'll ask, why do I want the fastest bullet if I gain nothing over a slower bullet?

markm
06-30-08, 11:12
We can go back and forth on this issue, all I'm simply saying is that velocity isnt the most critical thing needed in a pistol round. You stated all things being equal we want the fastest round. The quality 147gr JHPs will have more penetration than midweight JHPs, even when bumped up to +P or +P+, and in many cases, the expanded diameter will be slightly larger. So I'll ask, why do I want the fastest bullet if I gain nothing over a slower bullet?

I think we basically agree. I'm stating that "ALL THINGS EQUAL", but you're comparing 147 to midweight rounds. That's not all things being equal. ;)

Hypothetically, If I could get a 147 grain JHP to go 2500 fps out of a pistol with no side affects, I'd take that over a standard load.