PDA

View Full Version : First AR

Enoch
11-29-14, 23:14
Just bought a Colt 6720 from PSA for $799. This will probably be my only AR for quite some time. I considered a DDM Mid, was actually my favorite choice but couldn't justify the extra $$ for my needs.

Actually, I had to have a few drinks before I could hit the BUY button on this because I have a 3 yr old, he is my life, and I feel guilty if I spend money on myself and not on him.
I feel so guilty but I'm so excited.

I'd like to add a light, a red dot, and a sling in the near future. I'd appreciate any comments or recommendations for that set up. Also, I'm pretty much a plinker and recreational shooter. I plan on buying 1000+ rounds of 55 gain FMJ to learn the rifle, but this will also probably be my go to SHTF choice over my AK.

What do you guys prefer for SD ammo?

Carpetcop617
11-29-14, 23:41
Excellent choice of rifles first and foremost. Next, I too have a three year old (the youngest of 4), so I can appreciate where you are coming from financially speaking. Look at it this way... You bought a quality rifle that will one day be his. It will be used to introduce him to firearms safety, is likely to become a great investment in the future, will be used to keep him safe from the threats modern society poses, and depending upon the laws of your state... He might even bag his first deer with it.
As for accesorizing, I recommend getting that first 1,000 rounds down range before changing anything. When the time comes to add stuff, you will have developed a better idea of what you want. Me personally, I like the Inforce lights, the Magpul MS3 sling with Magpul ASAP ambi sling plate, and the Aimpoint PRO for an optic. As for ammo, I run whatever for target shooting/practice and like Gold Dot for defense although there are a TON of great choices of defensive ammo for the AR.
Congrats on your purchase. I nearly picked one up myself, but my preference remains the LE6920. I'm sure you will love it.

3 AE
11-29-14, 23:41
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mKD-CmX4zQ

HD ammo. Black Hills 50 Gr. TSX, 55 Gr. TSX, 62 Gr. TSX, Gold Dot 55 Gr. JSP, Gold Dot 64 Gr. JSP

Airhasz
11-29-14, 23:50
Nice choice of AR and great price also. Stop reading this fourm now or you will be in the poor house and your children will go hungry :sarcastic:

Enoch
11-29-14, 23:57
Funny, I know that's true. Thanks for the recommendations. I feel a little more confident that I'm on the right path. I actually did a lot of research a couple years ago, then prices went crazy, then my son was born and priorities changed, then I forgot some things, then I saw prices were good again and decided to buy before I reoriented myself and missed the discounts. I'm not a noob to shooting but a definite noob to the AR platform. I'm 43 but I feel like a kid waiting for my present from Santa, lol

D53
11-29-14, 23:59
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mKD-CmX4zQ

Good info in that video and a little person plug in there :D. I think you made a good choice with a reputable company.

dramabeats
11-30-14, 00:48
Primary Arms red dot
Blue Force Gear sling
streamlight

ScottsBad
11-30-14, 01:59
Primary Arms red dot
Blue Force Gear sling
streamlight

These ^ are good value choices. But you might just want to start off with ammo and magazines. Just get out and shoot before buying anything else. You made a very good choice in rifles, and you will be happy you bought a quality blaster.

Another thought, stay with iron sights until you can save up for an Aimpoint PRO instead of spending some now on a good, but not "bet your life on it" good Primary Arms. If you cannot wait for an Aimpoint then Primary Arms makes a hell of a micro red dot for the money.

As far as ammo, buy 1000 rounds of M193 (Federal, CBC, PMC, Etc.) and practice with that. It is a good inexpensive quasi-Military spec ammo and could be used for HD. If you want you can always buy three or four boxes of more expensive HD ammo just for HD use, and use the M193 for practice.

turnburglar
11-30-14, 02:54
In my experience:

Just bite the bullet and buy a surefire. I've had both pelican and inforce fail me whilst abroad. My surefire x300 just never stops.

For a sling I like the magpul ms3 but a sling is kinda hard to screw up. You could probably even make one half decent.

I have used aimpoint comp m4,and they are the business. However you could grab a pro for half the price. For my money I might pick up the new mepro tru dot, as I like the features.

To me a bullet is a bullet, and shot placement trumps all. The m193 has excellent wounding mechanisms inside of 150 yards. When I was in the force we didn't even have a choice and happily stuffed green tips in the mags. I'd much prefer more training time vs the formula 1 of bullets.

3ACR_Scout
11-30-14, 02:54
I certainly understand the need to budget for a growing family - I have two little ones myself. I also have a strong desire to protect my family, so I factor that into my budget too. I don't buy frivolous things, and I put a lot of thought and research into picking the best accessories that fit my needs before spending my money. Having said that, this is also a good time of year to buy on a budget, with all the Black Friday and holiday sales. There are plenty of deals out there on magazines, for example - PMAGs for around $9 each, or package deals with free shipping. I'd keep an eye out for those deals to buy those basic items you need. With money being tight, I'd stick with iron sights for now while buying a light, sling, magazines, and ammo. You can upgrade to a red dot later as your budget allows.

On the subject of SD ammo, I like what I've seen about the performance of Gold Dots, but they've been really hard to find for the past year or so. I may have to switch to a different brand that's easier to find and stockpile.

Dave

Sticks
11-30-14, 08:59
TAKE A CLASS!!!

Or two.

Find an Appleseed shoot in your area first, then an actual AR class.

I'd agree with saving the money for an Aimpoint PRO.

Streamlight or Surefire - both good lights.

10+ mags.

1000 rounds of M193 or M855 in inventory at all times, 60 rounds of SD if you so choose (why get SD when standard ball fragments and tumbles as it is).

JackFanToM
11-30-14, 11:33
Botach has 12 pmags for $99.99 ( it was 13 for same price for a while). It's an inexpensive way to get quite a few mags. Red dot either eotech or aimpoint if you really only plan to buy one. Primary arms and vortex make some sub $200 options. Flashlight... I like the mini scout due to options and size, but there are a few good options. I prefer 2 point slings so I have a huskey and a vtac. I recommend shooting a while, try a few options and decide what fits you. I have changed my preferences quite a bit over time based on how I choose to shoot and train. Started with a 3x9 leupold vxr, went to an eotech, built my own lower grabbed an aimpoint for that rifle, now I have 1 rifle with an eotech and magnifier and one with an aimpoint...considering losing the eotech and magnifier for a 1x4 vortex, as I said shoot for a bit before you leap. You may make a wrong leap at significant cost (I have found you can recoup at least 75% of initial expenditure on resale)

bowietx
11-30-14, 17:26
You will love the rifle and it will lead to good times with your child in the future. As far as equipment goes, handle some of the different options at gun stores or through friends etc. Once you have a feel for them decide which ones suit you the best. You can wait for sales at some of the reputable online stores and watch the online for sale boards for some good deals on used equipment. Many people buy new items, try them, don't like them and then sell for a discount. Training is essential, you can check out some online videos for the cheapest option or watch for some DVDs to come available online. Get the fundamentals down and then attend a quality training course. Alias training courses run $525 and that is a great deal for a quality instructor. Most of all be safe, have fun and get some!!

Beat Trash
11-30-14, 18:41
A great Red Dot Sight is the Aimpoint PRO. Bomb proof.

LAPolicegear.com has them in stock, and they currently have a 15% off sale, bring the optic down from $415 to $353 shipped.

DSG had a ten pack of gen3 PMAGs on sale this weekend for 79.99.

A sling, and a white light are also top on the list of things you should look at. I like the BFG VCAS slings, and have been having good luck with the Inforce WML's. A cheap and effective way to mount the light is to get a MagPul hand guard and a polymer cantilever rail.

The Colt 6720 is an excellent first time carbine. You chose well.

I remember when my kids were 3 years old. A magical time as a father, but there is also a lot of worrying about the future involved as well. Finances are always on your mind as a newer father. The thought of spending money on a gun with a young child is a valid concern.

But having the ability to protect your child should your corner of the world suddenly turn ugly is also a legitimate concern. Just look at recent events in Ferguson Mo. Bad things happen. Ferguson Mo was not the first city to see civil unrest. It won't be the last. A responsible person should be prepared, just in case.

Your new 6720 was a good investment into the safety of your child. Get some basic gear for it such as a light, sling, a few reliable magazines and some ammo. Get a RDO if you can swing it. Learn how to use it well. Get some training if it's an option.

seb5
11-30-14, 18:44
Start checking out friends rifles and how they're set up. Read these forums, there is a wealth of information here. Stay away from BARF-COM! There many ways to set them up and many right ways. The reality is that you need experience, information, and probably instruction to really make good personal choices. You got a smoking deal on a quality rifle. Once you decide what you need to properly set up your new blaster, start looking through the equipment exchange. There are many great deals there. Buy once cry once! Right now you need 4 mags and 1,000 rounds of ammo. Being new to AR's you need to get the manipulation down. Lots of drills, lots of dry fire. After you feel reasonably comfortable with the platform then look to a good 2 point sling, light, another case of ammo, and 8 more mags. After that an Aimpoint PRO, possibly some gear for your mags and you've got everything you need.

Enoch
11-30-14, 19:37
Thanks for all the advice and recommendations! Much appreciated!

I have 5 new PMAGS that have been sitting in my safe for a couple years, will definitely add a few more as I go. I think initially I'll switch out the handguard for a magpul and I think I like the VCAS 2 point sling. Then it's ammo and range time. After the holidays I'll add a light, maybe the M300. Red dot will come later and haven't fully investigated all the options but leaning towards the aimpoint pro.

Now I have to sneak it into the house and put it in the safe, and pretend like it's always been there, lol.

Beat Trash
12-01-14, 10:41
You're on the right track.

Before you add something or modify your gun, make sure you are able to answer a couple of questions.

Why am I adding/modifying...?

What benefit will I get by add/modifying...?

The MagPul hand guard is a nice start. It is a cheap and effective way to mount things like a light. If you don't like it, you can always return the gun back to it's stock hand guards.

silviacrazed
12-01-14, 11:01
I run an Aimpoint PRO on my duty rifle. If you want to put a light on your rifle, you could look into a bored Elzetta Bravo with a Malkoff drop in. Costs less than a surefire scout light, high lumen output and with it bored you can recharge instead of eating up costly CR123's. I run an Elzetta on my duty gun. I'm with everyone else though, buy ammo first and get used to it and then make your choices.

sevenhelmet
12-01-14, 11:16
A decent red dot for an economical price is a Vortex SPARC. It's a 2 MOA red dot that runs about $200, and mine seems to hold zero pretty well.

ex95B10
12-01-14, 11:23
This is coming from someone that no longer has little kids around the house, they're all grown up and living their own lives.
You have a life that you need to live and I'm sure you can find a common ground where you're not taking from the kids and vice a versa the kids are not taking away from you.
Great purchase and great choice by the way.
I would save up your nickels and dimes and either buy an Aimpoint PRO or an EOTech EXPS3.
Then go to Ammoseek.com and look for federal 55 grain which I'm sure you'll find is averaging about less than $.30 per round at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone 4s and posted via Tapatalk.

RVTMaverick
12-01-14, 13:41
DSG had a ten pack of gen3 PMAGs on sale this weekend for 79.99.

The Colt 6720 is an excellent first time carbine. You chose well.

Your new 6720 was a good investment into the safety of your child. Get some basic gear for it such as a light, sling, a few reliable magazines and some ammo. Get a RDO if you can swing it. Learn how to use it well. Get some training if it's an option.

Hey Beat Trash, what is RDO please?

PLUS: A Question for ALL Who have had some "Sling" imput here;
Do all of You guys "Always" use,..... meaning, Do You ALL have Your SLING(s) installed on Your PDW's<--->just for Home Defense Rifle?

The reason I am asking is because, for My "Home Defense" PDW 15... I don't think I will ever KEEP my Sling installed on her, or am I missing something about a Sling for a HD rifle....?
I can understand doing ALOT of things with a Sling on a rifle.... but waking UP to Glass/Door being SMASHED in at OH-DARK-30.... Jumping out of bed and Sling on a Sling...:cool:

IF I am missing a major part of "HD" by not wearing a sling, I'd love to know... NOT to HY-Jack your Thread Enoch... Hopefully this is something to Help You out Too...?;)

And Enoch,
As You have already heard and KNOW (;)) Great choice in a PDW for HD of You and your Family!
Plus don't forget, chances are, 1 day you will go shooting with your son when he gets older too, so IMHO: You are Not taking away anything money wise from your family, not to mention,
I think this WILL be a Great tool, for keeping your family together!

Peace Jeff

ghostsup
12-01-14, 14:25
RDO = Red Dot Optic.

RVTMaverick
12-01-14, 14:46
RDO = Red Dot Optic.

OPPS! LOL... Picture Homer Simpson... YEP... that's Me D-OH :o LOL

Thanks for not rubbing it in ghostsup..:)

Jeff

ex95B10
12-01-14, 16:43
Do all of You guys "Always" use,..... meaning, Do You ALL have Your SLING(s) installed on Your PDW's<--->just for Home Defense Rifle?
Peace JeffI have a sling but it is not kept on my weapon 99% of the time, a sling in my opinion is for carrying your weapon long distances.
Some guys use their sling to stabilize their weapon while shooting but most of those guys are former Marines.
There is also some competitions/classes that require the sling as a way of switching between your primary and secondary weapons.
For everyday home defense I don't see any practical use for having my sling attached to my weapon at all times.
If you do use a sling you'll then want to consider whether it should be single point or not…

Beat Trash
12-01-14, 17:31
If I had a carbine that was used for home defense, and I did not plan on taking it outside of the house, I would consider leaving a long off of the gun.

Other than that, all of my carbines have slings (VCAS).

A sling is to an AR is like a holster is to a pistol.

seb5
12-01-14, 17:42
Hey Beat Trash, what is RDO please?

The reason I am asking is because, for My "Home Defense" PDW 15... I don't think I will ever KEEP my Sling installed on her, or am I missing something about a Sling for a HD rifle....?
I can understand doing ALOT of things with a Sling on a rifle.... but waking UP to Glass/Door being SMASHED in at OH-DARK-30.... Jumping out of bed and Sling on a Sling...:cool:

IF I am missing a major part of "HD" by not wearing a sling, I'd love to know... NOT to HY-Jack your Thread Enoch... Hopefully this is something to Help You out Too...?;)

And Enoch,
As You have already heard and KNOW (;)) Great choice in a PDW for HD of You and your Family!
Plus don't forget, chances are, 1 day you will go shooting with your son when he gets older too, so IMHO: You are Not taking away anything money wise from your family, not to mention,
I think this WILL be a Great tool, for keeping your family together!

Peace Jeff

RDO is a red dot optic.............For me a sling comes before a RDO. It gives you the ability to use your hands if you need to. It's a great retention tool for a weapon. It gives you the ability to use your hands without grounding your weapon. Too many advantages for me vs. no disadvantages. YMMV.

blade_68
12-01-14, 18:24
Seb5 and I are in total agreement. On a sling before RDO.
If it came with factory sling that can and has worked for a long time, otherwise a low cost standard sling is $10-25. I was "making" single point slings for M-16s out of issue slings and 550 cord in 90s. Keep it simple. Everybody started making every kind of slings to the point of needing a manual for their use. It's a way of not leaving it on the ground and to have your hand(s) freed up to use them. Nothing more or less. I have few high end slings that I have tried, modified or tossed in box. No need over thinking that.
One thing that has not been mentioned a good cleaning kit and lubricant for AR. Remington or wd40 don't cut it. But you probably know that by now.

jbjh
12-01-14, 18:49
As another dad of little ones, I'll say that I buy a lot of gently used items. It gets me where I'm trying to go without all of the expense.

I also make sure to budget for gun stuff with a special savings account (my allowance). My wife and I both have them so we aren't spending the family's money on our toys. Coupled with 529s and brokerage accounts for each kid, and I have less guilt about piling guns up in the safe.

Sent from 80ms in the future
Much peace
Jimmy

turnburglar
12-02-14, 02:38
A sling is neccesary for a HD rifle for the simple fact that it lets you actually use both hands and have immediate access to your rifle. It also aids in weapon retention. A light is also MANDATORY for a HD rifle, imo. Honestly you can get away without a red dot, as most shooters can point shoot at the max distance you will find in most houses.

Iraqgunz
12-02-14, 02:53
Nothing in this discussion is groundbreaking or hasn't been covered before.

You do not need a red dot. If money is tight, put it on the back burner. Get a good sling and a light. Surefire X300 can be found for 199.00. Whatever light you choose, make sure that it is going to be mounted in such a way that it can be used.

Right now is the time to get extra magazines and ammo. Prices are rock bottom. NHMTG mags for 7.99 each. 5.56 ammo online even in small quantities can be had.

Outlander Systems
12-02-14, 03:59
#Gospel

Add Bolts, BCGs, and stripped lowers to the mix. I have never seen prices as low, and availability as high for AR parts.

I'd advise anyone with foresight to take advantage of this. I think a lot of it is a wave of production overlapping the last several years of increased demand. Now would be a good time to seize the opportunity the manufacturing "boxcar effect" that is occurring at the moment.

Right now is the time to get extra magazines and ammo. Prices are rock bottom. NHMTG mags for 7.99 each. 5.56 ammo online even in small quantities can be had.

Carpetcop617
12-02-14, 09:56
A sling is absolutely necessary. I have spent the last 14 years of my life as an LEO and can attest to the utility of a sling. Think about it. You present your rifle and suddenly bad guy becomes compliant... Might need a free hand to use a phone, manipulate doors, etc. Let's say bad guy has no weapon but tries to take yours... Its awful nice to have it attached to your body as just an added level of security/retention. For me, it is pretty tough to handcuff a guy with both hands occupied.
As for a light... Also a necessity. You can't hit what you can't see, and it is extremely important that you positively identify your target before firing. It also provides the tactical advantage of reducing a target's ability to see and creates disorientation in darkness.
Mags, ammo, sling, light. These are needed for an HD carbine. A red dot is nice but not needed. You should practice with your go-to weapon enough that fast accurate shots are instinctive at in house distances.
Buy a good rifle, get a pile of mags and ammo, a sling and a light. Then, hit the range often. You will determine what (if anything) else you desire based upon experience.