PDA

View Full Version : PMAG magazines

Bayern
11-30-14, 06:55
Being somewhat new to the game (ARs) do you have to clean PMAGS? Like, that out the spring, follower, etc like I had to do WAY BACK when the M-16 first came out. If so, how? Thanks for any replies that help.

eodinert
11-30-14, 07:18
Disassemble, inspect, push a clean dry rag through the mag body with a section of cleaning rod (just to get the dust out), reassemble.

I don't do it very often, unless I've been in a dusty environment.

sevenhelmet
11-30-14, 07:24
Yes, you still have to clean them. They are very easy to take apart.

I also recommend using the dust covers if you have them. I store mine with the dust covers installed to keep things out of there that might hang up the follower.

BufordTJustice
11-30-14, 08:34
Unless they've been rained/snowed on, been dropped in the mud, or been exposed to something like sand or dust, I don't clean mine. They are wear items.

You'll cause a little more rattle by disassembly, too.....if that's an operational consideration for you. You're not going to do any harm, but there's just no reason to disassemble outside of the circumstances listed above.

The gen 3 PMAGs and the Lancer AWM mags are my all time favorites. The PMAGs are excellent and can be had for less than the lancers.

markm
11-30-14, 09:31
I've never cleaned one. I suppose if I had a really wet bolt, was shooting suppressed, and then got a bunch of dust in the mag, I'd clean it. If you can hear grit, maybe. Other than that, no.

indawire
11-30-14, 11:10
Unless I've dropped them in the mud lips down, I just hit em with the air hose one in a blue moon.

3 AE
11-30-14, 11:51
Very simple procedure to disassemble/reassemble a Magpul Pmag.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7U1LuxQoYI

hotrodder636
11-30-14, 12:00
No need so long as the magazine was not dropped in mud, sand, dirt, etc. But in the case it is needed, very easy to disassemble, clean and reassemble.

Bayern
11-30-14, 13:10
Now I get it. Thanks for all your replies.

Iraqgunz
11-30-14, 19:04
The mags that I shoot when shooting suppressed usually get nasty and need to be disassembled and cleaned more so than the standard ones.

plouffedaddy
11-30-14, 20:50
If you shoot a lot of suppressed rounds through your ARs using PMAGs they do get pretty dirty. But, a simple wipe out and they're good to go.

GrahamKAC
11-30-14, 23:39
Never cleaned any of mine other than a wipe down on the outside. I seperate train/throw in mud mags from duty/go to hell mags though. It's easy too see how dirty a suppressed gun can be when using FDE mags. Whole top 2" of the mag is BLACK.

dangrullon87
12-01-14, 07:23
The mags that I shoot when shooting suppressed usually get nasty and need to be disassembled and cleaned more so than the standard ones.

This a million times this. Pmags honestly are easier to clean than GI mags, not sure but something about that metal cuts me every single time.

Beat Trash
12-01-14, 10:36
I had a couple that took a mud bath.

Easy to take apart. By the time I had a chance to clean them, the mud had dried. I just used a rag, some soapy water and an old toothbrush. I wiped everything down with a rag and let them air dry.

I don't shoot suppressed. I took a couple of my training PMAGs apart just out of curiosity. They really didn't need cleaning.

BBossman
12-02-14, 11:56
Sometimes when I remember to, I turn my mags upside down and give them a few strokes with a Kleen Bore mag brush/

http://i444.photobucket.com/albums/qq169/bbossman1/86a30048-5a19-40b7-8566-78400c0f3695_zpsb93517fb.jpg