PDA

View Full Version : Best place to Start collecting AR tools

meirvin
11-30-14, 12:07
Is Brownells the best place to buy tools, want to give suggestions for xmas and start buying some tools

Thanks

hotrodder636
11-30-14, 12:08
I have gotten my tools from Brownells, Midway and quite a few from Amazon (just know what you are looking for and getting).

Hmac
11-30-14, 12:15
I don't think so. I think you'd be better off buying from AR specialty sites like BCM, SKD Tactical, etc. I'm sure I've bought more firearms related stuff off Amazon than from Brownell's or Midway.

Grizz12
11-30-14, 12:29
is the tapco multi tool any good?

Hmac
11-30-14, 13:13
is the tapco multi tool any good?

Hammerhead tool.

http://www.amazon.com/Hammerhead-Rifle-Tool-wrench-medium/dp/B0096EG41U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1417374737&sr=8-1&keywords=hammerhead+rifle+tool

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41L3mUOaqVL.jpg

skipper49
11-30-14, 13:19
I like Brownells.

Skip

RussB
11-30-14, 14:08
Best is all relative, but Brownell's does have an excellent selection of AR and general gunsmithing tools. They stand behind all their products with a great no BS guarantee

Iraqgunz
11-30-14, 14:14
Brownells is one of my number one places for tools and I tell this to my students. One of the main reasons is that they have a 100% return policy and that includes punches or other tools that get damaged. I have sent hundreds of dollars in stuff back for replacement.

Slvr Surfr
12-01-14, 02:20
+1 on Brownell's. Anything else they don't carry, I buy where I can.

556BlackRifle
12-01-14, 10:06
Brownells and Midway are the places I like to shop. Invest in the best wrench you can afford. (The new Magpul wrench looks interesting but I haven't used one yet so I can't vouch for it. https://store.magpul.com/product/MAG535/misc ) A barrel vice, reaction rod, good quality torque wrench, armorers hammer and punch set would be a good start.

n517rv
12-01-14, 10:22
+1 on Brownells and the Hammerhead Tool.

With Brownells the only issue I've every had is paying a higher price for shipping of items, but they have lowered their shipping down to a more reasonable level now.

LRRPF52
12-01-14, 16:41
You won't find a selection of AR15 armorer tools like Brownell's has. Pretty much all of my AR15 tools have come from them.

* Armorer's wrench/combo tool
* Receiver vice block
* T handle upper insert (prevents crushing of the receiver)
* Bolt disassembly tool (get the AR15/AR10 combo tool)
* Carrier key Staking tool
* FSB pin removal block ( I heavily modified mine to actually fit the circulars, HG cap, & deal with lo-pro blocks.)
* Reciever face lapping tool-one of the most over-looked, yet accuracy and longevity enhancing tools on the market
* Delrin punches
* Blind pins for FCG, mainly trigger/disconnector installation
* AR15 specific bolt catch roll pin punch

I have a 560lb 1 1/8" thick steel workbench suspended by 6" tube steel legs, custom-built from the ground up, with a rounded steel lip base welded to the bench for my old US made Craftsman vice, so I have all kinds of working room to turn and access the upper receiver. Punches go without saying, as does a brass hammer, small files, calipers, rotary tool, bits, drivers, torque drivers, the list goes on. If you get into AR's and acquire BRD, you will start to accumulate tools over the years.

coontz74
12-01-14, 21:27
Brownell's, Midway and give Sinclair International a look as well - they are a sister company to Brownell's