PDA

View Full Version : Infuriating Glock Issue

okie john
11-30-14, 13:46
A short while ago, I picked up a Gen4 G17 for T&E. I’ve tried to install aftermarket sights, but the oval front sight recess is so big that the front sight can swing 10-15 degrees off of the gun target line. I tried this with five or six different front sight posts, to include a Glock OEM night sight. They all did the same thing.

Shifted left.
http://i.imgur.com/yCuGjG0.jpg (http://imgur.com/yCuGjG0)

Shifted right.
http://i.imgur.com/fowN6CL.jpg (http://imgur.com/fowN6CL)

The result is a sight picture that includes part of the side of the front sight blade, and groups that string horizontally. I've shot some exceptionally good groups with this pistol, so I’d like to keep it IF this can be fixed.

Has anyone else had this problem? If so, how did you fix it?

Also, I'd like to keep this repair at the user level if possible. If not, I'd be willing to have a gunsmith fix it. Absolute last on the list is sending the pistol back to Glock. I sent one back to them for a sighting issue a few years ago, but it was a total waste of several weeks and a bunch of money for shipping.

What do you think?

Okie John

sasage
11-30-14, 13:58
How did the OEM fs fit? What brands are you testing now? Do you have another gen 4 to compare front sight openings to?

okie john
11-30-14, 14:03
How did the OEM fs fit? What brands are you testing now? Do you have another gen 4 to compare front sight openings to?

The OEMs were plastic so they're a total No Go, but they were tight.

I've tried an OEM Glock night sight post, a couple of Trijicon HD posts, two Ameriglo posts, and a Sevigny post.

I don't have another Gen4 G17 on hand, but all of these posts have worked just fine on Gen3 pistols.

Okie John

MountainRaven
11-30-14, 14:14
According to 10-8's website, their front sights are intentionally oversized. You might try one of them.

Maiden3.16
11-30-14, 14:15
The OEMs were plastic so they're a total No Go, but they were tight.

I've tried an OEM Glock night sight post, a couple of Trijicon HD posts, two Ameriglo posts, and a Sevigny post.

I don't have another Gen4 G17 on hand, but all of these posts have worked just fine on Gen3 pistols.

Okie John

I don't know if you're opposed to using red loctite but that's what I do with no issues.

hk_shootr
11-30-14, 14:41
It's a aftermarket sight problem......not a Glock problem.
Focus your frustration in the right direction.

Surf
11-30-14, 14:43
Use a metal type gap filler that has good heat resistance properties. Loctite and other brands out there. Set the sight straight and allow to cure for the suggested time. Some people have pretty good success with standard red Loctite, but for larger gaps there are better options besides simple red Loctite threadlocker.

DreadPirateMoyer
11-30-14, 15:03
It's a aftermarket sight problem......not a Glock problem.
Focus your frustration in the right direction.

It's happening with Glock sights too. It's a Glock problem.

OP: I used to own nothing but multiple Glocks. I switched away when all of them were BTFing, but that said, all of my front sights did this as well, whether Glock or aftermarket. Green Loctite and really wrenching the front sight down (may take multiple tries to get it lined up properly) did the trick for me on all of them.

While I won't say this is a common problem, all of the Glocks I've ever had included this "feature."

hk_shootr
11-30-14, 15:14
I used to own a crap load of them. Started selling them off and went to 1911s. Have one 2nd Gen and one 3rd Gen.
the Gen 4 models are garbage.

If a Glock front sight is installed properly, the "issue" the OP is having will not be a problem. Most sight manufacturers will have you degrease the sight slot. Apply thread locker to the slot, insert the sight, then the screw. Snug the screw, align the front sight then tighten the screw. Then leave it alone for 24 hours. If you follow directions, the sight will be straight and VERY secure.

I would suspect the OP is not reading directions or skipping a step or two.

**Forgot to add,....the gel thread lockers work much better than the liquid for installing these front sights on Glocks.

dmaxfireman
11-30-14, 15:25
My gen3 19 does the same with any and all front sights. Just took my time and set it straight with some lock tite and it has been fine through 5-6k rounds normal carry and two 2day pistol classes. FWIW My gen4 19 and my gen3 26 and 17 do not have this problem.

teutonicpolymer
11-30-14, 17:30
Tape it in place while turning screw then hold the front sight while tightening screw. Loctite is key.

Talon167
11-30-14, 19:20
My Gen4 G27 is the same way with some TFOs. They fit fine in my Gen3 G17. I don't want to add red Loctite because I will eventually get rid of them (don't really like them), but they're better than the stocks. Anyway, I haven't really figured out a way to stop it and am afraid this will happen with all aftermarket sights.

mizer67
11-30-14, 19:32
All of mine do this to some degree.

I don't even bother with red Loctite any longer. I have a larger handled Glock front sight tool and with sufficient leverage, it's easy just to crank them down enough they stay put without any special gap filling adhesives. I have a Gen 4 G17 with >30K through it and that front sight has never moved with only a friction fit. Blue Loctite on the FS set screw is more than enough, but if you're worried about it even standard thin superglue will fill in the gap and set hard if you let it cure.

Voodoo_Man
11-30-14, 19:55
My gen 4 edc g19 does that. It's a pain in the ass, until you get the sights lined up properly (they'll be offset a little) and then it's fine. None of my other glocks do it (mostly gen 4's some g3's)

Failure2Stop
11-30-14, 20:37
I just keep the sight from over rotating with my thumb while I crank down on the front sight screw.

Joe R.
11-30-14, 22:20
I usually place the front sight in a padded vice while tightening the nut. Just keep the slide parallel with the vice jaws and your front sight will be straight. And absolutely use blue locktite.

tonyxcom
12-01-14, 00:53
I don't think I have a Glock that doesn't require some form of front sight clocking.

I use one of these Loctite Sticks (http://smile.amazon.com/LOCTITE-37643-Medium-Strength-Threadlocker/dp/B0053ZNMDE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1417416496&sr=8-1&keywords=loctite+stick) to mud the part of the front sight that goes into the slide.

Once dry it helps to keep it from twisting and I have't had one twist on me that I have noticed.

However, if you have a front sight that when tightened still twists by hand then you might need to file the bottom of the sight as the screw is bottoming out before its tight - OR - you have a bad screw where the threads aren't cut all the way to the hex causing a similar problem. I've had both problems with Ameriglo Pro Idot front sights in the past year - I'm guessing this is your problem as it doesn't take much screw torque to secure the front sight.

woods
12-01-14, 05:48
So the factory sights are plastic so they are a no go. You do know the frame is plastic so why not a no go ? The OEM sights are actually pretty good, but you know the internet, one keyboard commando says something now it is a fact. I have seen people buy new sights before even trying the factory sights. Really?

DreadPirateMoyer
12-01-14, 06:16
So the factory sights are plastic so they are a no go. You do know the frame is plastic so why not a no go ? The OEM sights are actually pretty good, but you know the internet, one keyboard commando says something now it is a fact. I have seen people buy new sights before even trying the factory sights. Really?

This is a joke, right?

Alpha Sierra
12-01-14, 06:57
This is a joke, right?
I don't see it as a joke. I see it as a valid point.

DBZ220
12-01-14, 07:52

I've had stock factory plastic sights break off, get squished, etc etc. I also need night sights. So, really, the factory sights do suck in my experience.

Voodoo_Man
12-01-14, 09:01
Ive ripped factory plastic sights off during training. Broken front sight posts clean off and had them explode off the gun after hard use.

Factory trijicons are not too shabby, they work well enough but lack a certain awesome factory HD sights have or other types.

I have had excellent expiration with ameriglo defoor sights. No thrills, no nothing. They just work.

samuse
12-01-14, 12:24
The new plastic fronts have a screw that goes all the way through. I think they're pretty tough. The old staked in fronts truly sucked.

I've installed probably a hundred Glock fronts and they're all loose. It's a design for idiots with no tools and the slide is really too thin in front for anything else.

You just have to hold it straight and use lots of Locktite.

okie john
12-01-14, 13:05

Glock OEM sights are well designed, and they're good when executed in steel. But as people have noted, the plastic ones have problems. Both front and rear sights are known to fall off with great suddenness, and the rear ones are easily moved in their slots, so they don't stay zeroed if you bump them into things. When I worked on commercial ranges, I saw plenty of each go south with very little provocation. Glock has added a screw to the front ones, but they're still building on sand with plastic sights. It's an utter mystery to me, since they make steel sights that are identical to the plastic ones and could easily put them on all of their pistols...

I agree that buying sights before you try the factory ones is a bad idea. Most aftermarket sights are about the same height as OEM sights, but the POI of stock Glock pistols is often wildly unrealistic. Any time you get a new Glock pistol, you should shoot it with the OEM sights to check POI before you replace them. If your pistol has POI issues (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?94640-Trijicon-HD-Sight-POI-Question&highlight=Trijicon) then you'll see it with the factory sights and there's no point in fitting a set of expensive aftermarket sights that will only duplicate the problem and have to be discarded. Shoot it with the originals to determine how tall your new front sight needs to be, then order aftermarket sights that will put the POI where it should be.

Plastic OEM sights are also great for experimenting with different notch widths since you can cut them with a pocket knife. Most gun stores will have a pile of them lying around and will give them to you if you ask. Drift out the old one and insert a new one (with the useless white stuff facing forward) then slowly widen the notch as you shoot drills over a timer and find the sweet spot for your eyes. Then you'll know which aftermarket sights to order.

Okie John

Ron3
12-01-14, 23:31
I haven't had a problem installing front sights but I do use plenty red loctite after applying alcohol and drying. It can be removed, just takes some direct heat.

sidewaysil80
12-01-14, 23:52
This is first I'm hearing/reading of this issue with aftermarket front sights. If they are clocked/installed properly will they continue to loosen and become off center?

mballz23
12-02-14, 00:00
My gen 4 19 doesn't have that problem with Trijicon Hd's nor did my factory plastic garbage sights...

Ron3
12-02-14, 13:34
I will add that the factory front night sight on my G19 gen three got loose and flopped around before I replaced it. It did that early in it's life.

ST911
12-02-14, 14:01
I've installed sights in dozens of gen4 Glocks this year. I'm not sure what's occurring here that's different than previous models. Under torque, the front sight has always rotated slightly and usually had to be adjusted back to center before a final snugging. When properly installed with good torque and a thread locker, few came loose in all my years of installs combined.

I've seen enough of the old style, plastic pinned FS come off to be glad for the new screw-on type. And enough wear to rounded or frayed edges in holsters to see the benefits of steel. I regard them as a potential wear item, but they are not unserviceable. I do find other designs much more my liking, and replace them for that reason.