PDA

View Full Version : Blueforce 221 sling vs VTAC

bowietx
11-30-14, 16:03
If anyone has knowledge of both please share. At this time I have 3 VTAC slings that I am considering getting the 2 to 1 adapter for and am weighing this against the Blueforce 221. Looking to see if there is value in shifting to the 221 vice upgrading the VTAC.

jpmuscle
11-30-14, 17:51
In the pics it looks like the 221 is of thinner material? Therefore less bulk if thats the case. Wish it was available without sewn in QDs.

freefly
11-30-14, 19:00
In the pics it looks like the 221 is of thinner material? Therefore less bulk if thats the case. Wish it was available without sewn in QDs.
I own both, and both have their pros/cons.

The webbing material on the Viking Tactics (VTAC) sling has a tighter weave and isn't as thick as the BFG (VCAS) sling webbing, allowing the VTAC to be slightly more flexible. However, the webbing material on the VCAS is lighter in weight (webbing is the same width on both). The lighter-weight webbing and polymer tri-glides/adjuster on the VCAS makes it noticeably lighter than the VTAC. Most of that difference is probably attributed to the heavy metal adjuster on the VTAC.

The VTAC set-up does allow for a larger range of adjustment, and you can get it a bit more close-in/tight if needed, but I am personally not a huge fan of the "tail" and Velcro tab arrangement. The VCAS is basically a "tail-less" design, and you don't have a long piece of nylon dangling off of you when the sling is adjusted to it's shortest length as you do with the VTAC. Also, the VTAC I have is their "upgraded" model with the rubber-coated pull tab. I am not a fan, and prefer the simple nylon tab on the VCAS.

So, if I had to pick only one, it would be the VCAS (with polymer hardware).

ETA: The 221 only has the forward QD sewn-in, not the rear (to facilitate installing/removing the Burnsed socket). If you don't want the sewn-in front QD, you can simply order the standard VCAS and add the Burnsed socket and QDs separately.

GeorgeB
11-30-14, 19:03
I've run both on my carbines and I prefer the BFG. As others have mentioned, I don't care for the long dangling "tail" piece on the VTAC and the velcro adjustment thing. The BFG is the best of both worlds in my opinion, long enough to allow you to maneuver the rifle as you need to, and you can cynch it up tight when you want to.

bowietx
11-30-14, 19:32
Thanks for the detailed inputs, at the very least it looks like I need to grab the VCAS and check it out. Did either of you get the padded VCAS sling? If so does the padding restrict the ability to tighten the sling?

freefly
11-30-14, 19:58
Thanks for the detailed inputs, at the very least it looks like I need to grab the VCAS and check it out. Did either of you get the padded VCAS sling? If so does the padding restrict the ability to tighten the sling?
Both my VTAC and VCAS slings are padded, and I would recommend going that route for "general" use (walking beats, quals, carbine classes, etc.). If you are going to be slinging the rifle for extended periods, it is well worth it.
The padding doesn't restrict the ability to tighten either the VCAS or VTAC.

If you are going to be primarily using the sling with a full load-out and/or armor/PC, then the non-padded may be a better choice. Same goes for vehicle ops if you want to have something that can be stowed easier, with less bulk.

bowietx
11-30-14, 20:25
Thanks, I have the padded VTACs and genuinely appreciate the padding. An injury makes it especially excruciating to not have a pad, but I wanted to make sure that the VCAS wasn't restricted by the pad when it comes to adjustment. Thanks for the confirmation.

3ACR_Scout
12-01-14, 01:33
If you are going to be primarily using the sling with a full load-out and/or armor/PC, then the non-padded may be a better choice.
I mentioned this in a previous discussion, but in my experience, the padded version tended to snag on my gear when wearing armor. The sewn seams at either end of the pad would catch on my armor under the weight of the rifle. I found it a little annoying, so I switched to the non-padded version for work. If you're not concerned about wearing armor or other load-bearing gear, it shouldn't be an issue.

Dave

seb5
12-01-14, 19:00
I found that with armor the padded was more than I wanted as well. Without armor the VCAS was easier on my shoulders than the more flexible, lighter VTAC. I settled on the VCAS several years ago and don't own anything else anymore.

bowietx
12-01-14, 21:11
I mentioned this in a previous discussion, but in my experience, the padded version tended to snag on my gear when wearing armor. The sewn seams at either end of the pad would catch on my armor under the weight of the rifle. I found it a little annoying, so I switched to the non-padded version for work. If you're not concerned about wearing armor or other load-bearing gear, it shouldn't be an issue.

Dave

Thanks for the insight, sounds like I will need to buy one of each. Things that snag on gear are things that need to be done away with.

bowietx
12-01-14, 21:13
I found that with armor the padded was more than I wanted as well. Without armor the VCAS was easier on my shoulders than the more flexible, lighter VTAC. I settled on the VCAS several years ago and don't own anything else anymore.

Interesting point about the flexibility of the VTAC causing issues. It will be interesting to see how the VCAS works out with weight displacement over the shoulder.