PDA

View Full Version : Well, I bought the DDM4V7 as the price was excellent. Now I am broke and need reload

GottaluvaRedState
11-30-14, 22:44
Hi all. Invaluable info here. I walked into my LGS on Black Friday and picked up a Mid-Length V7 DDM4 for $1,070. It was too good to pass up so I jumped on it. Thing is, I've got $300 left in my Paypal account and I'd like to start reloading 9mm and 223. I was originally going to go with a LnL when I had the 9mm only, but now that I have the 223, I am thinking of using a single step press. I've pieced it out and I can get it all together for just about $250. Is there anything I am missing, by using single stage press? Thanks in advance.

ryantx23
11-30-14, 23:15
I would shop around. There are many good offerings in your price range. On the cheaper end of the spectrum, I would go with LEE. Their stuff isn't fancy but works very well. I use LEE dies in a Redding press all the time because I like them better.

GottaluvaRedState
11-30-14, 23:27
Thanks Ryan, I was actually looking at the Lee Single Stage Press, nice short stroke, seems like an economical choice until I can build up the cash account.

Anyway, since this is my first foray into handloading, I don't mind going slow. How about this as a press:
Lee Reloader Single Stage Press
Lee Dies for 9mm and 223
RCBS powder measure
Lyman 49th book (unless you can suggest a better one)
And the various scales, calipers, and trays that go along with 223 and 9mm.
Oh, I'll probably need an inexpensive case trimmer.
And consumables.

Anything else I am missing. TIA. I love my new DDV7, just don't like paying .50 every time I pull the trigger (for 5.56, can't find 2.23 by me).

ryantx23
11-30-14, 23:36
I would get yourself a 223 case gauge. That's a necessity, even more than a case trimmer. A manual is a good thing to have, but with the Internet age everything can be found online. IMR / Hodgdon powder company has a good online loading data resource for free. The information is out there.

ryantx23
11-30-14, 23:39
Oh, and clear your schedule. You're going to be busy loading before you know it. There are a few members here who are VERY knowledgeable with reloading. Don't be afraid to ask questions.

skimbleshanks
12-01-14, 03:28
Lee makes decent stuff for good prices. I actually would recommendend getting a few manuals as usually the first chapter (how to make your tools work without blowing you face and hands appart) can come in handy if you don't have anybody to help get you cranking out ammo. A single stage press will always have a place on my bench and actually makes you slow down and think and focus on 1 step at a time. Also you probably won't save money reloading but you will shoot more for what you spend.

GottaluvaRedState
12-01-14, 15:32
Lee makes decent stuff for good prices. I actually would recommendend getting a few manuals as usually the first chapter (how to make your tools work without blowing you face and hands appart) can come in handy if you don't have anybody to help get you cranking out ammo. A single stage press will always have a place on my bench and actually makes you slow down and think and focus on 1 step at a time. Also you probably won't save money reloading but you will shoot more for what you spend.

Thanks for the advice. Looks like I am going to go with a single stage, inexpensive press for my .223 (any other rifle cartridges, when needed). As I plan on priming off the press (plan on handpriming after cleaning), I figured there is no need to go progressive. So the way I figure, this is how it breaks down:

Deprime cartridge
Wet tumble
Prime cartridge
Size cartridge
Expand neck
Powder
Seat bullet

If I am missing a step, please let me know. Since I am not using a powder through die, I figure a single stage to be my best bet.

skimbleshanks
12-01-14, 16:25
I would switch priming and sizing in your order and expanding the neck is really only necessary on straight walled cases like pistol or 375 win type rifle.

Onyx Z
12-01-14, 16:49
I would switch priming and sizing in your order and expanding the neck is really only necessary on straight walled cases like pistol or 375 win type rifle.

I get MUCH more consistent neck tension and less bullet runout by using a neck expanding die. This is a recent addition to my process.

I would prime just before dropping the powder. Also, I would clean again after sizing. I don't like any lubes, tumbling media dust (if tumbling in dry media), etc. in my barrels.

My steps:
Wet tumble in stainless media
Lube and size/decap (expander ball removed)
Trim/chamfer and remove primer crimp (if necessary)
Wet tumble in stainless media to remove lube and clean up primer pockets
Dry in food dehydrator
Expand necks
Prime
Drop powder
Seat bullet
Taper or factory crimp depending on the bullet
Shoot
Repeat

You can decap before cleaning, but it just adds another step to the process. It does make removing the stainless media from the cases a little tougher, but it's not bad.

markm
12-01-14, 19:22

I run one because I removed my expander ball, but continue to use my Dillon carbide sizer. So the necks need a little expanding. Expander balls generally cause too much neck stretch and give neck runout. I still don't get perfectly straight necks, but with the expander ball gone, I work my brass less.

jstone
12-01-14, 19:54
Spend 20 dollars on the ABC 's of reloading. The Lyman 49th has a lot of the info, but the ABC ' of reloading goes over everything in depth. Most reloading manuals give you the basics. I can guarantee it will not be money wasted. You can probably even find an older copy online for cheap.

If you Google it there is a lot of info on the different authors over the years, and which are the best. I gave my older copy to a friend, and I plan on buying the most recent one after looking through it at Barnes & nobles. I have been loading for close to 20 years, and I still read it regularly until I gave it away.

skimbleshanks
12-01-14, 21:29
Got neck expanding and neck flairing mixed in my head. I leave my expander balls in place and expand when sizing. This is only pertaining to bottleneck brass.

bowietx
12-01-14, 21:57
The RCBS Rockchucker is a great single stage too learn on and there is a Rockchucker on TOS for $105.00 right now. You can also purchase the entire Rockchucker setup on Amazon for under $300.00.

GrahamKAC
12-01-14, 23:31
I've got a Lyman 49th, it's a great resource and I still find my self rereading from time to time and picking up something I missed.

To add/change to the order of your process:

lube/size/deprime cartridge (if you get your cases clean to the point they won't scratch your sizing die, this can all be one step)
Wet tumble
prime
Powder
Seat bullet
crimp with lee factory crimp die

*some do like to deprime with a lee decapping die before anything else as this allows for the primer pocket to be cleaned if stainless tumbling. I've tried both this method and the one above and didn't find any real benefit for 5.56 plinking ammo that I'm happy to get 1.5 moa out of, precision 308 ammo is a whole other set of rules.

rdsii64
12-19-14, 23:35
First, using a single stage press to feed semi automatic firearms is a good way to learn to hate reloading. restock your paypall account as you are able. When you can, then get an auto-endexing progressive loader. I have a Dillon 650 but I never met a LNL owner who hated their press. One advantage of going Dillon is you can start with a BL500. As you aquire experience, its fully upgradable to a 550 manually indexing progressive.