PDA

View Full Version : Different Look On VLTOR MUR-1

Gunfighter.45
06-25-08, 23:15
Hey guys is it just me or is there a difference in looks? The first pic is from VLTOR'S site, second pic is the one I purchased today.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u57/gunfighter308/mur_left615x351.jpg

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u57/gunfighter308/DSCN0489.jpg

Please tell me I am not going crazy!!:eek:

VooDoo6Actual
06-25-08, 23:18
From what I have been told by Vltor is that they now (a couple of months) are forged and not machined from a billet.

Gunfighter.45
06-25-08, 23:33
From what I have been told by Vltor is that they now (a couple of months) are forged and not machined from a billet.

Great that kinda sucks. If I wanted a forged upper I would have bought a CMT. All well back it goes.:mad:

LOKNLOD
06-25-08, 23:50
Looks like the design was changed near the barrel nut threads to play nicely with some of the new rail designs that fit tight there (like the DD Lite Rails).

Adam
06-26-08, 04:48
Great that kinda sucks. If I wanted a forged upper I would have bought a CMT. All well back it goes.:mad:

It's going to be every bit as good as the old MUR. Forging in many ways is actually better. The main benefit of parts being milled from solid(billet), apposed to a forging is it's cheaper an faster to bring the part to the market.

Dave L.
06-26-08, 04:53
It's going to be every bit as good as the old MUR. Forging in many ways is actually better. The main benefit of parts being milled from solid(billet), apposed to a forging is it's cheaper an faster to bring the part to the market.

some how I posted twice...see below.

Dave L.
06-26-08, 04:54

Well, then the price better go down too right... So is the VIS still cut from billet?

militarymoron
06-26-08, 09:01
they're now machined from a forging, and even stiffer than before. i don't know it necessarily is cheaper - maybe there's a bit less machine time (not much) but you're also paying to get the forging made vs. a solid block of material.

Adam
06-26-08, 14:41
they're now machined from a forging, and even stiffer than before. i don't know it necessarily is cheaper - maybe there's a bit less machine time (not much) but you're also paying to get the forging made vs. a solid block of material.

Forgive me, I am a bit clumsy when wording things. I was trying to explain that an upper cut from "billet" has no advantages other than the fact that it's is easier and cheaper to get it to the market. You need not have dies made and wait for the company doing your forging work. In long run production, however, the added machine time of milling a part from solid makes forging a more attractive option.

Cold Zero
06-26-08, 15:44
Well, then the price better go down too right... So is the VIS still cut from billet?

The price for the Manufacturer, or the consumer? From what I can see on pricing, consumer level pricing remains the same. I beleive the VIS is still cut from Billet. I wonder why the MUR is not and the VIS still is?:confused:

Dave L.
06-26-08, 17:17
The price for the Manufacturer, or the consumer? From what I can see on pricing, consumer level pricing remains the same. I beleive the VIS is still cut from Billet. I wonder why the MUR is not and the VIS still is?:confused:

I was just hoping the manufacturer would pass the savings on to the consumer :D

spamsammich
06-27-08, 00:56
I'd say be thankful the price hasn't gone up, I know our machine shop guys are griping about the price of aluminum going through the roof yet we haven't raised our prices for stuff we make at all in 4 years.

If it were me, I'd just build on it. But do what makes you happy.

chadbag
06-27-08, 01:00
Someone on TOS claimed that Vltor claims that their tests show the new one is even stiffer than the old.

I wish they would still make the billet cut ones as well, maybe for a slight premium, as I think they look better (more angular etc) compared to the more melted edges of the new ones.

Chad

Cold Zero
06-27-08, 06:13
I was just hoping the manufacturer would pass the savings on to the consumer :D

HAHAHAHAH. That is a good one:rolleyes: . I too hope for that and for gas to go back to $3.00 / gallon.;)

militarymoron
06-30-08, 12:53
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/militarymoron/forge2s.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/militarymoron/forge3s.jpg

Stickman
07-01-08, 14:05
MM,

Nice pics as always. Nothing else even close to the MUR out there.

militarymoron
07-01-08, 16:46
thanks stick - ditto.

Cold Zero
07-01-08, 19:41
Nothing else even close to the MUR out there.

Why is the MUR so much better than a LaRue Tactical Stealth Billet Upper? Thanks.:confused:

Adam
07-02-08, 05:16
Why is the MUR so much better than a LaRue Tactical Stealth Billet Upper? Thanks.:confused:

A forged object is always stronger than the same part cut from a billet. The MUR and Larue were stronger and more rigid than a regular receiver due to of reenforcement in critical area's. By combining the beefed up design of the MUR and forging, Vltor has created the best upper receiver on the market.