PDA

View Full Version : Best .223 Ammo

PYRO31888
06-26-08, 00:01
Ive been reading about Wolf ammo and most people seem to like it. Not sure if just because its cheap or if it really is good ammo. I use Reloads and Winchester 9mm for my Sigma. But ive been seeing a lot of Wolf stuff. From what i read Hornady is lookig like the best ammo or one of the best? And my other question is ... Whats a good ammo brand. Or should i buy a bunch of different 20 round boxes and find out for myself?

Ridgerunner665
06-26-08, 00:21
For range use...anything that feeds, fires, and ejects.

For "business"... Federal Tactical and Hornady TAP are hard to beat...IMO.

The best rounds I have found are my own reloads...YMMV.

markm
06-26-08, 09:08
The best rounds I have found are my own reloads...YMMV.

Same here.

Best ammo for what is a good question. Accuracy? Defense?

PYRO31888
06-26-08, 09:30
Best ammo for price and performance. I dont know how to do my own reloads so..

markm
06-26-08, 10:52
Best ammo for price and performance. I dont know how to do my own reloads so..

Federal American Eagle is good, but the prices are high if you can find it.

Priv M193 is pretty good stuff too. It's not too expensive. Wideners doesn't show it right now, but I think GandRtactical may have some.

You can shoot wolf. It's not the Worst ammo you can get. You may get an occasional stuck case, but they tap right out with a cleaning rod.

PYRO31888
06-26-08, 16:51
kk thanks

RWK
06-26-08, 17:22
Priv M193 is pretty good stuff too. It's not too expensive. Wideners doesn't show it right now, but I think GandRtactical may have some.

Actually, that's reversed: G&R is showing no stock. Wideners has it but, they're a case lighter as of yesterday. ;)

markm
06-26-08, 18:08
Actually, that's reversed: G&R is showing no stock. Wideners has it but, they're a case lighter as of yesterday. ;)

Cool! It's decent ammo I have an unopenned bag of it in my closet now.

C4IGrant
06-27-08, 13:06
Ive been reading about Wolf ammo and most people seem to like it. Not sure if just because its cheap or if it really is good ammo. I use Reloads and Winchester 9mm for my Sigma. But ive been seeing a lot of Wolf stuff. From what i read Hornady is lookig like the best ammo or one of the best? And my other question is ... Whats a good ammo brand. Or should i buy a bunch of different 20 round boxes and find out for myself?

Wolf is not quality ammo. It is dirty, inaccurate and under pressured. People like it because it is cheap.

Hornady and BH's are the two top companies for quality ammo.

C4

RWK
06-27-08, 14:37
It is dirty, inaccurate and under pressured.

Had to read that twice. I thought you were talking about airmen. :D J/K!

In the very first magazine of Wolf ammunition that I ever tried, a cartridge case came apart in the chamber and the rim broke under the extractor.

I hear/read that some people use Wolf all the time and never have problems with it. Personally, I won't even let Wolf ammo come near my stuff for fear of it contaminating it through some weird osmosis.

Army Chief
06-27-08, 15:49
Ive been reading about Wolf ammo and most people seem to like it. Not sure if just because its cheap or if it really is good ammo.

Wolf ammunition has many things going against it, and only one thing going for it: price. All other things being equal, you would be hard-pressed to find anyone here that would actually prefer it over -- well, just about anything else.

I think it's a fair observation to say that Wolf has earned a place in the marketplace simply because the traditional training/range loadings we were using five or 10 years ago have (a) skyrocketed in price and (b) become increasingly difficult to find in quantity.

Chief

PYRO31888
06-27-08, 18:23
Im going to get a bunch of 20 round boxes so i can try all different kinds... i went and shot my dad's 20 ga. today for the first time in 20 years.. that thing is fun.. and cheap , as long as he doesnt try to use that red thing to throw the clay birds again and almost hit me after i say "pull" i had to run for my life. We ended up laughing for about 4 min and then i said pull again and it went left ... right into the woods.

Cold Zero
06-27-08, 18:34
Wolf is not quality ammo. It is dirty, inaccurate and under pressured. People like it because it is cheap.

Hornady and BH's are the two top companies for quality ammo.

C4

While no doubt, the above is accurate (no pun intended). Does anyone care to rank the available ammo in tiers, like was done with A.R. Manufactures awhile back? Might be interesting?

PYRO31888
06-27-08, 21:36
That would be a good idea

skyugo
06-27-08, 22:19
i reload pretty much all my .223.

hornady bullets are of excellent quality. the little 55 FMJ's are my usual. cheap, and very very consistent.

i saved a couple bucks buying a few hundred winchester bullets one time. they were visibly different in dimensions. some were pointier than others. getting them to seat a consistent depth was such a bitch. :mad:

so yeah.. hornady. good stuff. their 75 grain hollowpoints are nice too.

PYRO31888
06-27-08, 23:43
So ... how hard is it to reload your own? Is it a lot cheaper