PDA

View Full Version : Hunting ethics/ Moral dilemma

huntswithweim
12-01-14, 13:38
While I was putting corn out this morning and being as sneaking as a guy can be carrying 100lbs of corn through the woods I bumped a injured 8 point buck. He was about 30 yards off and was just standing watching. I put the corn down and just sat down and watched him as well. While watching him I could tell that his right front leg is either broke or injured pretty good. He eventually just laid back down and there we sat.

I could not tell if he was shot or he had been hit by a vehicle. Either way watching a injured animal limp around does not make a guy feel very good. I got to What If'ing myself. If this deer is still on the property in two days would/should I use my buck tag to put him down or just let nature take its course. I guess this is the first time I have found someone else's wounded deer. I don't know if KDWP would give you a salvage tag for him or just tell you to leave him a alone.

Anyone ever tag a already wounded deer?Is the meat even safe to eat in a situation like this and how would you tell?

gun71530
12-01-14, 13:42
I've used my tag to harvest a wounded deer on a few occasions. It just seems like the right thing to do if you're in a situation where you can put an end to prolonged suffering.

huntswithweim
12-01-14, 13:51
Did you process any of the meat?

markm
12-01-14, 14:08

You could possible have a vet give it a look over after you dress it. Could just be an absess that needs to be removed.. or just the whole foreshank.

gun71530
12-01-14, 14:25

I took it to my processor, who just cut around the damaged leg. The meat tasted fine, and I never got sick from it. If your concerned, turn the animal over to a game warden.

MBtech
12-01-14, 17:45
That's kind of a tough call to make, I personally would harvest the animal myself and just not eat that area of meat. If he laid back down with a human/hunter 30 yards away chances are cyotes/predators will get to him before you do, thats natures way. But If it were me and I had a shot at him again I'd do both of you a favor, fill your freezer and save him suffering, worry about a buck tag for a trophy or a more selected deer next year.
That's just me.

huntswithweim
12-01-14, 20:26
I just let him be. If he is still around on Wednesday I will take him. The injury looked to be right above what I would call his knee. there didn't seem to be a lot of blood around the area but I never got a good clear view of it. Anyway if he can make it to the corn piles he can lay there and eat all my corn I put out, then I wont feel bad for taking him. I have my doe tag if I do need to toss some of the meat on him.
Happy hunting to you all.

bjxds
12-02-14, 18:33
I just let him be. If he is still around on Wednesday I will take him. The injury looked to be right above what I would call his knee. there didn't seem to be a lot of blood around the area but I never got a good clear view of it. Anyway if he can make it to the corn piles he can lay there and eat all my corn I put out, then I wont feel bad for taking him. I have my doe tag if I do need to toss some of the meat on him.
Happy hunting to you all.

Can you legally take him out of season in your state? Sounds like you already decided to let him go, so hopefully he is not suffering. I have seen many deer killed, and while skinning we found buckshot, bullets, mostly 22's and a broad head. The deer did not look or act injured at the time of the kill. They are amazingly tough animals, so this one may even recover.

In any case let us know how it turns out, and what the injury was if you are able to tell.

huntswithweim
12-02-14, 19:54
Will do.