PDA

View Full Version : How many defense pistols do you need?

Ron3
12-01-14, 23:42
That's the question. Not want, but really might need.

House pistol? Carry gun? Pocket gun? Second identical gun in case the primary is out of service, stolen, or confiscated? One caliber? More calibers?

To me a compact-size gun like the Glock 19 can double as a "house pistol". And if it's the primary carry gun you should have two of them.

A small pocket auto is nice to have, and so is something in between like a snub revolver, glock 26, or S&W Shield-sized gun.

When I think of the guns and duplicates I'd like to have available to carry, it's about four Glocks, one snub revolver, and a pocket auto.

Wastefull or prudent?

How many defense pistols do you really need?

sidewaysil80
12-01-14, 23:47

House pistol? Carry gun? Pocket gun? Second identical gun in case the primary is out of service, stolen, or confiscated? One caliber? More calibers?

To me a compact-size gun like the Glock 19 can double as a "house pistol". And if it's the primary carry gun you should have two of them.

A small pocket auto is nice to have, and so is something in between like a snub revolver, glock 26, or S&W Shield-sized gun.

When I think of the guns and duplicates I'd like to have available to carry, it's about four Glocks, one snub revolver, and a pocket auto.

Wastefull or prudent?

Two for me. A Glock 36 for off-duty/EDC and a USP45 Tactical for the house.

125 mph
12-02-14, 00:39
2 glock 19s for me. One for carry, one to train with and generally beat the shit out off.

TehLlama
12-02-14, 01:01
I can see an absolute justification for something that takes a light (and can have the light on it whenever set aside for that use), and one to carry. For the non-ballers among us, a single G19 or similar can do exactly that quite well.

For HD, if I can have a pistol with a WML I want it. For carrying, it's too warm most of the time here to CCW something with a mounted weaponlight, so I can comfortably justify two. I do have many more... because reasons. 125mph sums up what two I'd run if I had to have only two.

danasaki
12-02-14, 01:24
Although at this time I am proficient with and do favor Glocks, I am in the process of learning other 9mm pistols, namely the HK VP9 and a Sig. I have trained quite a bit with the MP9 but it does not do it for me... possibly too generic feeling, no personality, something, although it is a fine pistol and I shoot it well. The VP9 has some distinct advantages over Glock in its engineering but the Sig is just oh so sweet on so many levels.

I'll know how many pistols I really need after finding my "best" pistol for me (beside the 1911). Buy, train, learn, choose, sell, train some more.

Its kind of a loaded question though as we really never can distinguish or draw the line between the idea of wanting vs needing, can we? :)

What is the old saying? "Beware the man with only one gun, he knows how to use it."

SpeedRacer
12-02-14, 02:10
Two Glock 19s. One for carry/training and a spare that also serves as my nightstand gun. Took me a lot of years and a lot of guns bought and sold to get to this point. Even when I get the new gun craving I find myself looking at...Glock 19s.

uffdaphil
12-02-14, 02:30
The number I "need" for defense will always be a compromise between the ideal and the practical. Backups stashed in every room of the house upstairs and down would provide best defense. But I am not willing to round them all up and put back in the safe each time I go somewhere.

So the question really is what is the minimum you feel comfortable with? For me it's a J-frame and/or single stack PPS in T-shirt weather plus a higher capacity CZ compact for inside or out with layered clothing. Add my government 1911 since it is actually less obtrusive OWB than the CZ. My answer-- four.

mig1nc
12-02-14, 04:56
Two guns that take the same caliber and magazine, so that my wife and I can each be armed in an emergency. Plus one subcompact/pocket carry for out and about times.

MegademiC
12-02-14, 05:11
2-one for me(full size) and one for the woman. I carry her shield on rare occasion as well-I think its important to have a backup/deep conceal pistol. I'd prefer 3, 2 is min IMO.

markm
12-02-14, 06:57
I really just have one. I have like 5 total pistols that could be used for defense.. including a wheel gun and a 1911. But really just one practical carry defense pistol for me.

Chameleox
12-02-14, 08:15
4 for me.
-Glock 17 on duty.
-Glock 19. Stays at home as the HD choice. Doubles as a spare duty gun for light days, plainclothes days, and in case my 17 is out of service.
-M&P Shield 9. EDC
-S&W 642 no-lock. Backup gun on duty, occasionally off duty.

That's it for me. I find that this covers my carry needs, so the only time I'm without is when I'm in the gym (might get some thunderwear for the 642). I also am at about the point with these that I have enough variety to keep my interest and cover my needs, but not so many, nor so different, that my training and proficiency takes a hit.

Anything else on my wish list is for hunting or novelty.

bowietx
12-02-14, 08:31
VP9 for carry, VP9 for house, VP9 for breakfast.....and a Ruger 454 Super Redhawk Alaskan for everything else.

In actuality I have several handguns and enjoy training with and using them all, the variety helps to stay focused on the fundamentals and that I have found to be a positive.

WillBrink
12-02-14, 08:51

Wastefull or prudent?

Need is a tricky word. You don't need any guns. You don't need pants, but they do come in handy. One handgun can covers most needs if one only has the $$ for one handgun for example. I know various LEOs who only own one gun, which is their duty gun. While others own multiple safes full of guns. It's not about need as much as options. It's good to have options.

Piston10
12-02-14, 09:01
2 Glock 19's for the house
2 Glock 26's for carry, one for me and one is hers.
1 Glock 23 that rides in my work bag and gets carried occasionally.

RCI1911
12-02-14, 09:25
Need? I suppose just one. However, I want to have more then just one. M&P9c and a J-frame revolver for carry and a full-size M&P9 for home/car/etc. Duplicates of the autos (Two is one, one is...). I prefer to stick with as few calibers as I can get away with. Simplifies things and reloading as well.

El Cid
12-02-14, 09:49
In a perfect world (i.e. not having to worry about politicians trying to criminalize guns, ammo, etc.):

- A full size gun (G17 or G34) with a light for HD/carry/duty
- A mid-size gun (G19) with a light for duty/CCL
- A subcompact (G26) for BUG duties
- A pocket gun (J-frame) with laser grips for BUG, deep concealment or around the house wear
- An identical spare of whichever gun you shoot/carry the most in case of a malfunction that sidelines the weapon, or it being held in evidence for a bit after a shooting.

QuickStrike
12-02-14, 12:12
All I really need are three glock 19's. My short/thick legs prevent any sort of pocket carry, and the glocks function well as house guns.

One for practice, one for carry, and a spare.

But that's boring, so I have others for fun!

davebee456
12-02-14, 12:13
1-G26 for EDC 80% of the time Carry Gun

2-G19s Gen 3 ( 1 for EDC/HD and 1 for Backup)

1-G17 Gen 3 for HD with a Surefire X300 Ultra Light

1-G34 Gen 3 for Fun/Range

1-642 Smith No Lock 642 for EDC Low Profile

and

1 HK45 Full size because I needed a reliable non glock 45 ACP blaster...

I think I might get one more Handgun in 45.ACP..a Glock 30s

Uni-Vibe
12-02-14, 16:29
Two, maximum. A piece that's concealable and still large enough to shoot well, and a smaller piece for when you're dressed such that you can't carry the primary weapon.

ETA: and that's pistols.

You also need a semi-auto rifle for the car, and a Gauge for the house.

Omega Man
12-02-14, 17:52
For me right now its a VP9, a current version M&P FS 9mm and a Gen4 G17. The VP9 performs the best with the M&P a close 2nd, but I'm proficient with all of them and they cover all my needs as far as carry and HD.

ritepath
12-02-14, 18:18
1 Full sized sidearm for HD. example : CZ p-09 / M&P / 686
1 Med sized sidearm for CC. example : Shield / J frame / CZ p-07
1 Micro sized sidearm CC. example : LCP/TCP/PICO

Of course it would also be nice to have one full sized Pistol for each person in the House along with a nice HD shotgun and rifle for everyone.

The Dumb Gun Collector
12-02-14, 18:21
In my opinion, you need one. Either a 642 J-frame or a 340 M&P J-frame. With laser grips. Everything else is just extra fun stuff unless you are a Cop or a pistol hunter.

JusticeM4
12-02-14, 19:07
Ideally 2 pistols should be enough. One as primary and the other as backup (or one range/HD and one carry gun).

Three would be even better.

PatrioticDisorder
12-02-14, 19:33
If I had to do it over again... 2 VP9s (one for training, one that stays with moderately low mileage & preventative maintenance), 1 VP9SK(K) (whenever it comes out), 1 Walther PPS 9 (love the modular mag options, 6,7 & 8 rounds) and maybe a M&P bodyguard .380... So 4-5 pistols would cover my defensive needs.

mizer67
12-02-14, 19:40
In my opinion, you need one. Either a 642 J-frame or a 340 M&P J-frame. With laser grips. Everything else is just extra fun stuff unless you are a Cop or a pistol hunter.

I'll pass on the J-frame as primary weapon, thank you.

Sure, they're easy to carry in a pocket or IWB and for "most" situations, 5 rounds should be sufficient.

However, if you've ever:

a.) been left handed
b.) had to reload one in the dark
c.) had to reload one weak handed under pressure or injured
d.) faced more than one bad guy

.....something similar to a Glock 19 gives up little in terms of weight and concealment while offering a much more shootable gun, with a lot more ammo onboard, that is much more ambi-friendly and can quickly and efficiently be reloaded after slide lock/empty cylinders. Sure you can play the "odds" you'll never need more than 2-3 rounds but if you're already committed to carrying, might as well carry something you'd want to have if something bad actually happened. I consider a J-frame decent BUG or NPE option, but it wouldn't be the only gun I'd want to have. That honor would go to something double stacked and G19 sized. About the only place you can't carry a G19 sized gun and you can carry a 642 is in an NPE environment.

DWood
12-02-14, 19:40
I have them staged in:

1. kitchen drawer
2. living room shelf
3. office shelf
4. bedroom shelf
5. nightstand for my daily EDC when I take it off

as well as an 870 SBS in the bedroom next to my bed. It is said that you are never more than 6 feet away from a spider and I like to employ that theory with my guns.

PS I don't have children to worry about getting hold of my guns.

PLCedeno
12-03-14, 05:49
Three total. G17 for HD (bedside). G17 for IDPA, range, training and classes. G19 for HD (second floor of house) and classes for those with smaller hands. All with Trijicon HD-Yellow.

Fordtough25
12-03-14, 08:01
2 glock 19s for me. One for carry, one to train with and generally beat the shit out off.

If I could only have one pistol it would be a G19, with a backup. Perfect do all pistol and can be carried,nightstand, car, etc.

Averageman
12-03-14, 08:20
My nightstand pistol is a G17 with a red dot sight and a light on it. It's a bit much to carry like that, but I think it's the shizzle for a nightstand gun.
My EDC's are a G17 that's bone stock except for some after market Trijicons sights. My other warm weather EDC is a G26 with G19 magazines and Glock night sights.
In Texas your wardrobe tends to change a bit with the weather, being able to go between the G17 and G26 is why I went with Glocks.

markm
12-03-14, 08:26
The repeated reference to a shotgun in this discussion is discouraging. :confused:

Had you never fired or owned an AR, I could understand it. But just being on this site pretty much eliminated that possibility.

El Cid
12-03-14, 08:49
The repeated reference to a shotgun in this discussion is discouraging. :confused:

Had you never fired or owned an AR, I could understand it. But just being on this site pretty much eliminated that possibility.

lol! Excellent point. And also the title of the thread asked specifically about handguns... and this is the "Handgun - Semi Auto" section of the site.

gtmtnbiker98
12-03-14, 09:41
In my opinion, you need one. Either a 642 J-frame or a 340 M&P J-frame. With laser grips. Everything else is just extra fun stuff unless you are a Cop or a pistol hunter.I'll pass. J-frames are excellent backups but to be in any defensive situation with only 5-rounds is not my idea of being ideal.

kantstudien
12-03-14, 11:15
Just one more.

Caeser25
12-03-14, 11:36
At least 2.

JBecker 72
12-03-14, 11:46
Realistically only 2. But I always want one more, no matter how many I currently have.

Mr blasty
12-03-14, 11:52
VP9 for carry, VP9 for house, VP9 for breakfast.....and a Ruger 454 Super Redhawk Alaskan for everything else.

In actuality I have several handguns and enjoy training with and using them all, the variety helps to stay focused on the fundamentals and that I have found to be a positive.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

teutonicpolymer
12-03-14, 13:23
Realistically only 2. But I always want one more, no matter how many I currently have.

Yup, the correct answer is infinite.

More seriously I would go with 2-3. G20 for outdoors/backcountry use, G19 for everything else, and maybe a G34 or something else (Maybe VP9 or W. Germ 226 if I was wanting a DA/SA?)instead of the G19 for non-ccw uses.

July4th
12-03-14, 16:07
Yup, the correct answer is infinite.

More seriously I would go with 2-3. G20 for outdoors/backcountry use, G19 for everything else, and maybe a G34 or something else (Maybe VP9 or W. Germ 226 if I was wanting a DA/SA?)instead of the G19 for non-ccw uses.

I pretty much say the same. G20 for outdoors/OC/HD, G19 for CC, LCP for BUG/NPE.

Jesse H
12-03-14, 20:05
Here's what I'm comfortable with,

G22 on duty
LCP back up/church gun
G27 off duty/EDC
G19 "winter gun" when it's easier to conceal
G17 nightstand

Amur
12-03-14, 20:22
Just 1. Something like a p2000 or g19 it can do everything you need. Everything else is nice to have.

RHINOWSO
12-03-14, 20:31
Well, I interpret "need" as in "need to carry out my lifestyle and remain armed at all times legal".

So here in FL I'm not gonna be the tactical bro at the beach in the summer, nor am I rocking a compact semiauto in a business suit at a parter companies conference room, because if detected it would be BAD, even if legal.

Five

Ruger LCP - Pocket / Ultra discreet carry / BUG
S&W J-frame - Pocket option / BUG
Walther PPS - Slim 9MM for summer IWB
HK P2000SK - IWB for cooler WX
HK P30 - House gun

RHINOWSO
12-03-14, 20:33
I'll pass. J-frames are excellent backups but to be in any defensive situation with only 5-rounds is not my idea of being ideal.
I'll second your pass of J-frames only.

The Dumb Gun Collector
12-03-14, 20:53
I'll try again then..

1. Morning gun: Suppressed Glock 21 with X400 . I prefer something suppressed since I am still sleepy. Maybe with a laser so I can shoot without my glasses.

2. Breakfast gun: Pepper spray so any overshoot goes into my eggs.

3. Shower gun: Glock 26 with maritime cups in a neoprene ankle rig

4. Drying off gun: 410 Single Shot Derringer held discreetly between the cheeks

5. Driving to work gun: Glock 17 with Glock 18 mags and X400 and Supressor so It can be fired from inside the car without me having to turn up the Sirus XM

6. Work Gun. J-frame since I will actually be working.

7. Lunch Gun: G19 in Belly band with +2 mags extension. 5 mags.

8. After Lunch/Siesta gun (see morning gun).

9. Late Work gun. J-frame.

10. Driving home gun. (44 magnum Country, Supressed Mini Uzi for City)

11. Going up the Drive way gun. Suppressed Ak47 Pistol with Sigtac stock. Might get jumped. G19 back up

12. Dinner gun. P7M8 cause' I keep it classy.

13. Sitting around watching TV. HK P2000 because I watch a lot of the Unit and 24.

14. Fooling around with the wife gun. 50 AE desert eagle because I have compensation issues.

15. Sleepy time gun (see morning gun).

mkmckinley
12-03-14, 21:11
I'll try again then..

You joke but I've actually thought about putting just a little squirt in my chile recipe. I can never get it hot enough.

How many pistols does one need? I'd say a minimum of one that you'll actually carry. A Glock 19-sized auto is a good all around option. On top of that a J-frame for when I'm going unarmed.

The Dumb Gun Collector
12-03-14, 21:20
Got to make sure you don't get the pepper spray with the Mace mixed in. Ruins the meal.

Uni-Vibe
12-03-14, 22:55
On a more serious note, I know a couple of guys who carry a different gun almost every day; they select something fresh out of the collection every morning before they go forth. I think it's better to carry the one gun you're familiar with; that way when trouble starts, you're not saying to yourself "Hmmm, it must be Wednesday, I'm carrying the Glock . . . or are Wednesdays Sig P229 day?"

Could get you killed.

Yale
12-04-14, 00:49
I've got 5 I could carry. I have concealment holsters (OWB) for a Sig P226, an N-frame, and a pair of Ruger Blackhawks, but I predominantly carry my Glock 30S. It's the only one with an IWB holster I have, and it's light enough I don't notice it. If I had to pick a gun to depend on in rough country, a Blackhawk would get the nod. The P226 I would go to war with. Either way, I'd still have the 30S in my waistband.

ritepath
12-04-14, 06:16
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZUL4ITG254

I think the OP was getting to this.

Every time I start thinking of buying one, I watch this video and it kills the urge to follow the masses.

sevenhelmet
12-04-14, 07:56
I am in the 2-pistol crowd:
-Semiauto for primary HD/CC
-J-frame for backup / lightly dressed CC

zlc
12-04-14, 08:11
I'll try again then..

1. Morning gun: Suppressed Glock 21 with X400 . I prefer something suppressed since I am still sleepy. Maybe with a laser so I can shoot without my glasses.

3. Shower gun: Glock 26 with maritime cups in a neoprene ankle rig

4. Drying off gun: 410 Single Shot Derringer held discreetly between the cheeks

5. Driving to work gun: Glock 17 with Glock 18 mags and X400 and Supressor so It can be fired from inside the car without me having to turn up the Sirus XM

6. Work Gun. J-frame since I will actually be working.

7. Lunch Gun: G19 in Belly band with +2 mags extension. 5 mags.

8. After Lunch/Siesta gun (see morning gun).

9. Late Work gun. J-frame.

10. Driving home gun. (44 magnum Country, Supressed Mini Uzi for City)

11. Going up the Drive way gun. Suppressed Ak47 Pistol with Sigtac stock. Might get jumped. G19 back up

12. Dinner gun. P7M8 cause' I keep it classy.

13. Sitting around watching TV. HK P2000 because I watch a lot of the Unit and 24.

14. Fooling around with the wife gun. 50 AE desert eagle because I have compensation issues.

15. Sleepy time gun (see morning gun).

baahahahahaha

classic

I guess 2 G19s, although just picked up a J Frame and have a shield.

RHINOWSO
12-04-14, 08:12
On a more serious note, I know a couple of guys who carry a different gun almost every day; they select something fresh out of the collection every morning before they go forth. I think it's better to carry the one gun you're familiar with; that way when trouble starts, you're not saying to yourself "Hmmm, it must be Wednesday, I'm carrying the Glock . . . or are Wednesdays Sig P229 day?"

Could get you killed.Now the true "rotation" is STUPID IMO.

MSparks909
12-05-14, 13:41
I have a VP9 that is my go-to handgun now. Sold off all my Glocks last month. I also have a Springfield TRP 1911 that is a range toy and one that occasionally gets open-carried (oh, the horror) on nicer occasions. Buying another VP9 to use as a primary carry gun. That one will have night sights, while my competition/training/beater VP9 will have a black rear sight and fiber optic front. Will also buy a bunch of magazines for the VPs (I would like to have around 20). Rifles are a different story...

MiggyE
12-05-14, 18:30
currently have 2 guns at the house; a Tanfoglio Force 9mm(EEA Witness Stateside), and another Tanfoglio- this time a FT9 (380). The 380 is actually the Mrs' gun as she is not planning to renew her license. The FT9 is actually a fun gun to shoot and is 14+1. She didn't want a 9mm or stronger because she feared hurting her surgical hands ( she's an Ophthalmologist).

Thinking of getting another pistol for my use when on duty. Due to budgetary constraints, thinking of Norinco NP29, Norinco NZ85B, or an Armscor/RIA 9mm Practical. If I do get the NP29, or the an Armscor, plan to slowly upgrade it. I guess what I am getting at is three is enough for me.

Frailer
12-05-14, 19:27
Over the course of our lifetimes, the vast majority of us will *need* exactly zero.

With that said, I feel comfortable with a Glock 17 (plus a spare) for gun games, a Glock 19 (plus a spare) as a house/carry gun, a Glock 26 (plus a spare) for lower-profile carry, a Glock 22 frame with an AA .22 conversion kit for backyard practice and teaching new shooters, a Glock 21 as a truck gun, a S&W 642 for very low-profile carry, a NAA Black Widow for pocket carry when working in the yard (I once had a close encounter with a raccoon strongly suspect was rabid).

And a bunch of stainless J-frames in every possible configuration, just because they're cool.

teutonicpolymer
12-05-14, 19:33
I have been sort of intrigued by the idea of a 2nd back up gun but haven't seen any that I really like. Ruger has the 9mm LCR and the 3" LCRx- I think if they put these two concepts together it (the resulting 3" 9mm) might be a nice backup to a 9mm autoloader.

MILSHOOTER
12-10-14, 12:18
How many defense pistols do I need?

I need one, and that is all I need to get to a rifle or to carry. However I tell myself that I need all of them.

I currently run three different guns depending on clothing, small for pocket, medium for inside the waistband, and large for open / outside the waistband, really.

Warp
12-13-14, 21:51
-Deep concealment/very convenient, something small. For me that's a S&W 642
-Compact IWB size, more competent than the above. Call it a sub compact Glock (G26)
-One size up from above, easier to shoot, more capacity, concealable under moderate clothing, doesn't look ridiculous carried openly OWB. Call it a compact Glock (G19)

dmcutter
12-13-14, 22:16
I have a 1911 with a Surefire X300 by the bed. HK USP 40 compact in the go bag with lots o' spare mags, and a P2000SK as my CCW since it can use the USP mags. Night sights on everything, of course.

gesundheit
12-14-14, 01:34
For SD
Need - the one that is nearest
Want - Infinite

Lost River
12-14-14, 17:29
In reality I only need one. Preferably a Glock 19.

I prefer to have the primary ( a G19), a BUG (S&W 442) and a mid size/full size for house (G 17-19-34).

However since I handgun hunt, compete periodically, recreate in the Rockies, teach on occasion, etc, I have a fair # of handguns on hand at any time.

Wiggity
12-14-14, 18:14
Oops didn't mean to post

zacii
12-14-14, 18:23
For myself, I'm thinking 4. 2 indentical pistols of a common size, like the G19/23, and 2 identical smaller pieces for NPEs, etc, like a j-frame or similar.

Sent from my BNTV600 using Tapatalk

j-ro
12-14-14, 20:22
Three. Full size, compact and pocket.

Kotuku
12-15-14, 08:23

Agreed. Especially if you have to put on a button down for the office. Wardrobe greatly affects what can be concealed.

CAVDOC
12-15-14, 12:06
For me it is one deep cover pocket gun ( my seecamp 32) one ankle gun ( j frame) and one glock (26)
Duplicates of these would seem reasonable in case of breakage
In addition to the above I also have a beretta 25 to back up the seecamp, a glock 19 to backup the 26 plus a couple of k frame smiths and several 1911's. In all honesty you could probably get away with three carry guns but options are nice. I could even feel pretty comfortable with either a glock 26 or j frame as my only carry gun

JusticeM4
12-15-14, 22:46

I would agree that 3 is the magic number.

But I think 2 would do (on a limited budget) if you had a subcompact/pocket pistol and a compact or full-size. E.g. Glock 26 and Glock17 combo, or M&P Shield and M&P Full size.

t1tan
12-16-14, 00:39
I'm down to two pistols now.

VP9 is my go to HD/fighting gun.
PPS is my take everywhere, always on me everyday gun.

I would like to pick up a S&W 340CT at some point to fill in for the PPS at times depending on my clothes and I wouldn't mind a VP45 as well if that actually happens, although I don't feel I "need" either of these. Once APEX gets into Glock triggers, the Gadget comes out and the Sentinel magwells come out for Gen 4s I plan to do a 19 with ATOM+RMR+BarSto+SSVi stuff to sort of bridge the gap between the VP9 and PPS, but that's more for for fun.

M&P15T
12-19-14, 13:33
Just one. It's not really a "need" thing, more of a justification thing. It's a hobby, and a pistol (any firearm, really) is a toy to enjoy the hobby. I just can't justify owning more than one pistol, as I don't carry much, and I enjoy shooting my AR a lot more.

I'd rather put money into my AR, or shooting it, or buy a shotgun, rather than get another pistol.

And on a practical level, it's best to shoot only one pistol and not switch back and forth between different pistols.

Warp
12-19-14, 14:52
Just one. It's not really a "need" thing, more of a justification thing. It's a hobby, and a pistol (any firearm, really) is a toy to enjoy the hobby. I just can't justify owning more than one pistol, as I don't carry much, and I enjoy shooting my AR a lot more.

I'd rather put money into my AR, or shooting it, or buy a shotgun, rather than get another pistol.

And on a practical level, it's best to shoot only one pistol and not switch back and forth between different pistols.

There's no harm in switching between a Glock and a Glock, and very little "harm" in switching between multiple pistols that all have the same user interface.

JusticeM4
12-20-14, 04:05

I used to think just 1 is enough. But as the saying goes " 2 is 1, and 1 is none".

Some may not see it as a hobby, but as a defensive tool. Do u only own one screwdriver for all type of screws?? I doubt one will do if you need it for a flathead and another for a Philips head.

Currently I have a Glock 26 (subcompact) and Glock 19 ( (compact). Both are similar 9mm pistols that use the same mag.
(Not rich or anything, as I bought the two pistols in different times and had to save money to obtain both)
Of course you're free to own just one. But how many of us here have "just one" AR and satisfied with not obtaining more ? =]

Bayern
12-20-14, 07:23
As many as you can afford:):)

M&P15T
12-20-14, 08:52
I used to think just 1 is enough. But as the saying goes " 2 is 1, and 1 is none".

Some may not see it as a hobby, but as a defensive tool. Do u only own one screwdriver for all type of screws?? I doubt one will do if you need it for a flathead and another for a Philips head.

Currently I have a Glock 26 (subcompact) and Glock 19 ( (compact). Both are similar 9mm pistols that use the same mag.
(Not rich or anything, as I bought the two pistols in different times and had to save money to obtain both)
Of course you're free to own just one. But how many of us here have "just one" AR and satisfied with not obtaining more ? =]

Having owned 13 Glocks, a Sig, an H&K, and a Taurus over the last 20 years, I've very comfortable only having 1 pistol, and it being my G17C. It's both fine for carrying, and fun at the range.

And yes, I only own one AR. Of course that is due largely to finances, I'd own more if I could.

rushca01
12-20-14, 09:37
I have a carry 19, a 19 I keep in the closet by the front door (for my wife ), one I keep in the basement, a class/training gun, and a spare.

A friend and I joke that we need one for each room in the house...better to have and not need etc...still need one for the kitchen....can never have too many.

Why 19s, namely because they are cheap and they work.

I have many more handguns but these are what I keep around.

M&P15T
12-20-14, 09:42
I have a carry 19, a 19 I keep in the closet by the front door (for my wife ), one I keep in the basement, a class/training gun, and a spare.

A friend and I joke that we need one for each room in the house...better to have and not need etc...still need one for the kitchen....can never have too many.

Why 19s, namely because they are cheap and they work.

I have many more handguns but these are what I keep around.

I had a friend who had a pistol tucked away in every room of his house. Nothing like going for a kitchen utensil and stumbling across a pistol in a drawer!!!

rushca01
12-20-14, 09:52
I had a friend who had a pistol tucked away in every room of his house. Nothing like going for a kitchen utensil and stumbling across a pistol in a drawer!!!

Can you get me the spatula, it's next to the glock 19! Too funny.

opmike
12-20-14, 09:52
Speaking BARE MINIMUM, personally, I like to have a Large/Medium pairing of the same platform. A large model for training/competition and a medium one that allows for easier CCW day to day, but that isn't so small that it can't be pressed into a similar role as its larger cousin.

For the longest time it was a G19 and G17/G34. Then I began to dabble with 1911s but I don't have confidence in the guns smaller than 5 inch.

I recently dropped an irresponsible amount of money on the Brigadier Tactical as I've decided I want to go back to DA/SA (especially for appendix carry) and that the 92 will be my platform of choice. I'm planning on getting an 92FS Compact, but am keeping my ear to the ground to see if Beretta or some other outfit will be releasing a compact version with some of the features I want in a Beretta like the dovetail front sight, G-conversion, etc.

M&P15T
12-20-14, 09:57
Can you get me the spatula, it's next to the glock 19! Too funny.

Seriously, he had a Walther P22 in the drawer where his large cooking utensils were. Hell of it is, the damn thing didn't work right. He grabbed it, said he needed to send it into Walther to have it repaired, then chucked it back into the drawer.

CatSnipah
12-20-14, 11:03
As many as you can afford:):)

Is there really any other answer?

Salamander
01-01-15, 20:54
I think my minimum would be two, and only because it's good to have a backup if one needs to be worked on.

In practice, we're allowed to have three on our CCW here, and I've filled the slots with a compact in 9mm (a P2000) which gets by far the most use; a 9mm subcompact for circumstances which require deeper concealment; and one that might be unnecessary for many people, but because I spend a lot of time in the backcountry, I like to keep one pistol in a hotter caliber for any large animal encounters.

If they let us list more than three I might add a J-frame.

Anything beyond that pretty much lives in the safe and perhaps gets to go to the range every now and then.

jackmobes
01-01-15, 23:12

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk HD

Rohardi
01-02-15, 08:52
Glock 19 for winter CCW, Glock 26 for summer CCW, and a Glock 34 for nightstand/warbelt/classes. Curious to see it there's a single stack 9mm like the Glock 42 coming at SHOT show. That would get added to the rotation as well...

MistWolf
01-02-15, 12:12
My needs for house and carry can easily be covered with one handgun which in my case is the PPQ
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/Handguns/DSC_0018.jpg

I also have other handguns, some I can use for defense, some for other purposes.

With the PPQ, I don't need something else for a house gun, but the AR pistol suits my purposes better for that role
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/Lil%20Wolf%20Pup/RE005_zpsdc5ab440.jpg

Stengun
01-02-15, 12:16
Howdy,

Like someone else posted "As many as I can afford!"

EDC: Glock 23

HD: Glock 35. Actually my HD gun is a CAR-15 or a Win Defender 1300 12 gauge pump.

Paul

Tomac
01-02-15, 15:13
I have 3 identical 9mm SIG P320C's: one w/APL for nightstand duty, one for EDC and one for backup/training (they get rotated every few months).
Tomac

j-ro
01-02-15, 15:38
I have four.

Toecheese
01-02-15, 17:49
after reading through this thread, it amazes me how/why Gaston's love child flies off the shelf at gun stores, while Walther PPQ's and VP9s sit and collect dust....the kool aid cant run out soon enough!

how many is a personal decision obviously. I ccw an M&P 40c with 12+1, Walther PPQ 5 inch with Dawson sights, TLR-3, 17 round mags for home defense, a VP9 at the range, and my beater duty pistol is a Sig SP2022 fde with 17 rounders all chambered in 9 mm.

jbourneidentity
01-02-15, 19:44
I have about 10 handguns and all 10 see some sort of duty with the exception of my SA TRP 1911 .45 and STI Trojan 1911 9mm, which are safe queens. No offense meant, but I've had such overwhelmingly negative experiences with the many 1911s I've owned over the years, in my heart, I just can't rely on them for personal protection, so they stay locked up except for range days.

I depend on Glocks as my primary defense handguns. The similar manual of arms just makes sense to me, plus I'm a long-time Glock armorer, so having that baseline of knowledge helps. I really just don't think you can have too many handguns in your own self-defense collection simply because handguns are so flexible, portable, and adaptable. Magazine compatability with the 9mms, and easy available of Glock mags, along with affordable mag prices, just makes sense.

I use a well-proven Gen 4 G19 for primary carry, an OD Gen 3 G19 in a go-bag, a Gen 4 G21 was a nightstand, home defense gun, a well-proven Gen 3 G22 in condition 3 hidden near the front door (my children are grown), and a Gen 4 G17 in a hidden gunsafe in my truck. I'm a believer in WMLs, so these Glocks all carry them, even if my wallet did bleed for months. My wife's primary carry is a Ruger LCR .38 and her bedside gun is a S&@ 66 with 2 Safariland speedloaders. Again, a similar manual of arms for her just makes sense, as do the Glocks with me.

I try to make it a habit to carry on my person at home 24/7, but for days when I'm lazy, I'll throw a S&W 637 in a pocket with a kydex pocket holster made by A-Holster. I also have a mint German Sig Sauer P228 made in 1999 that is just an amazing piece of engineering and I may work it in as my primary handgun. The P-Series Sig bug has bitten me pretty badly.

So, I have a lot of money invested in handguns and WMLs, and sometimes I think it's just too much, but I feel better about my investment when I know that almost all these handguns all have roles in our defense plan and the money I've spent has not been wasted.

dookie1481
01-02-15, 23:09
One "normal" sized one as a primary CCW and home defense gun (G19), and one small one for dress-up/gym/quick-run-to-the-store roles (soon to be a new PPS).

Pappabear
01-02-15, 23:25
J frame MNP 340
Shield 9mm
HK 9mm (LEM and VP9)
FNP45 Bedside gun or Carbine with mini 4