PDA

View Full Version : Vortex strikefire II red dot sight

aboyle55
12-02-14, 05:39
What is the overall opinion of this sight? I was thinking of putting it on my colt 6920. Midway usa has it for $140. I know it's probably not as good as an aimpoint and I don't expect it to be at this price. By the way, I'm not fighting in any war or taking on stupid zombies. Just for target shooting and running carbine drills I learned in a class.

Tigereye
12-02-14, 05:46
You might get more responses posting this in the Optics section of the forum. But, I have a Vortex Sparc on my daughter's rifle and it was a good choice for her needs at this time. Easy to operate, holds its zero, and not too expensive.

RCI1911
12-02-14, 06:42
If it is just a range toy then it will be fine. It would be suspect for anything more then that IMO. I've got a Sparc that has been sitting on a gun in a safe for the most part. Has maybe 80 rounds with it mounted. The sight won't power off anymore. Hit the off button for the required amount of time and it will blip but stay on. If you don't mind potentially dealing with headaches like that then Vortex has an excellent warranty; if something goes wrong you can send it in. If it is just a range toy you may also want to look at Primary Arms. I have never used one but they seem to get decent feedback when used on non-essential guns. They are less expensive then the Vortex options.

JS-Maine
12-02-14, 06:56
I would scoop it up. I've beat the one I have half to death over the past few years and it has been great. Vortex has run into control panel issues on the original version (which I have) and I think that is partly why they did the redesigned panel on the v2. If they have red/green dot option on v2 I would get the red dot only option. It is a brighter dot.

ETA- I've used it primarily for running carbine drills, so it should serve you well in that role.

aboyle55
12-02-14, 07:23
Great advice fellas. I'm also colorblind so the option of red or green is nice. It's weird, but I'm red green colorblind, but I can see the red dot on my friends aimpoint and cmore sights.

JS-Maine
12-02-14, 07:45
I'll warn you, one of my friends has the red/green strikefire and the dot is hard to see in bright sunlight. Neither the red nor green gets bright enough to over power the sun. My theory is that the available power is sort of split between the red/green. Whereas the Strikefire with red dot only has a very bright dot as it utilizes all available juice from the power supply. I bought the red only option after using his. When you hold them side by side, with both optics on full brightness, the red only option is literally twice as bright.

huntswithweim
12-02-14, 08:30
I've been using the sparc II on my patrol rifle for about a year and a half. Unlike most LEO I have used and abused the rifle and optic. Went through two carbine courses with it and so far it's held zero and is still on the original battery. I have the red only and that is what I would recommend.The S O is running the strike fire for about a year now and so far I don't think they've had any complaints or problems with theirs. I think for the price point the vortex red dots are hard to beat.

platoonDaddy
12-02-14, 09:02
Have a Sparc II on my carbine, that takes a beating and still good-to-go. With my oldEyes, I recently added a Vortex 3X magnifier. Both are hard to beat.