PDA

View Full Version : Primary Arms Micro Red Dot W/ 3x Magnifier Review

Gooch_
12-02-14, 11:33
Hey guys I'm wrapping up my first AR15 build and I needed to decide on an optic. I wanted close range, fast target acquisition capability but didn't want to be completely limited when shooting at distance. The rifle will mostly be used at the range and plinking. It will however be used to hog hunt from time to time. The farthest shot I can see myself making is 150 yards for now. I was between the red dot and a 1-4x scope but decided against the scope since I'm on a budget and didn't want to get into the scope game on the low end of quality.

I decided on a micro red dot complimented by a long eye relief 3x magnifier from primary Arms. First off let me say they're customer service is amazing. My experience with them has been excellent.

I purchased they're Micro Dot with removable base Gen 2 model: MD-RBGII
And they're 3x long eye relief magnifier Gen 3 model: PA3XLERGENIII
I paid $160 for the combo and in that price was a high rise mount for the micro red dot and a QD flip to the side mount for the magnifier. Setup is for lower 1/3 cowitness.
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/12/02/e581466aba91c3766034f5e18fbacb38.jpg
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/12/02/4cff346f0686e2b674487a47abcbfd0b.jpg

Finish looks great, feels sturdy, and the glass is very clear and multi coated. They both came with bikini covers(magnifier covers are clear) they are both waterproof and fog resistant. The red dot is 2.4" long and the magnifier is 4.8". Roughly 8-8.5" setup depending on the space in between. The red dot weighs 3.8oz. And the magnifier weighs 7.3oz. A whopping 11.1oz.

The red dot

1/2 MOA click value
2MOA dot
Parallax free past 50 yards
11 brightness settings
Night vision compatible on 1-2
1,000hr battery life on daylight setting
CR2032 included
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/12/02/19e93e2a9c0ed934aec8192cdc782efa.jpg
Here it is on 6 brightness outside on a rainy overcast dayhttp://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/12/02/6e8995875ae026598394911bb7d97538.jpg
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/12/02/2e17054689e7692b8ed1ebd54eb72614.jpg

Here it is on 11 (much brighter in person)http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/12/02/03c0f7441d1c0b9eef2441a29edcb6ef.jpg
The dot is sharp and smaller on lower brightness settings.

The magnifier

2.8" of eye relief
Field of view 42.6'/100yards
30mm tube
Internal adjustment for el/win to center dot
Diopter for focusing
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/12/02/181b7e47adacd9e8469c17ec38c52aac.jpg
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/12/02/0a50e19ea118524d5b86b0ded26a2fc9.jpg

11 brightness through the magnifier
at 20yds(give or take)
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/12/02/0110e8aeccc633ab2dfc56d8315d640b.jpg

Red dot at 100 yards (give or take)
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/12/02/9a961990f76b4b99294ed6c7102d1401.jpg
Red dot with 3x magnification at 100 yards (give or take)
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/12/02/ea736eb7623fc28f618fad6ce3362b70.jpg

All in all..... I'm happy with it. On they're website it states that they are not aimpoint grade but I think it will work well for my purposes. I'll post a range report when I can.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard

Airhasz
12-02-14, 11:48
Enjoy, inexpensive way to start enjoying you rifle with optics.

GH41
12-02-14, 18:12
The finish on that thing looks like paint. Look at the dull edges in pic 3 and 5. If you think you will never be able to afford an Aimpoint I guess this is an option. If you can afford to wait, save and buy the PRO. Buy once cry once. There is more to value than price.

sadmin
12-02-14, 18:16
It's a good start but upgrade someday, I've broken 2 and I'm a regular joe. More importantly though, great review!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gooch_
12-02-14, 18:28
The finish on that thing looks like paint. Look at the dull edges in pic 3 and 5. If you think you will never be able to afford an Aimpoint I guess this is an option. If you can afford to wait, save and buy the PRO. Buy once cry once. There is more to value than price.

It's a good start but upgrade someday, I've broken 2 and I'm a regular joe. More importantly though, great review!

Thanks, I did this partly because I couldn't find a lot of sight pictures of the primary arms stuff. I'm pretty impressed with the quality for the price.

I probably could afford an aimpoint if I really wanted. I know "you get what you pay for and all that" but I'm not going to Afghanistan with it. I wasn't even sure what I wanted for optics. It was between a red dot and a low power variable scope. This will do for my purposes for now. I know a good scope would work perfectly for what I'm going to do with this rifle since scopes are something I have experience with. This is my first AR15 so I figured I would see how I like red dot sights until I can decide/save up for a scope. I'm gonna use it and if it breaks then I'll decide if I'm in love with magnified red dots or if I'm going to get a scope.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard

Voodoo_Man
12-02-14, 18:33
Thanks for posting...

How many rounds have you shot with this combo on your AR?

Zero at what distance? Top of dot? Middle? Do you see zero shift with magnifier? At what Distance?

How fast is the acquisition with and without the magnified? Field of view changes with magnifier?

Gooch_
12-02-14, 18:38
Thanks for posting...

How many rounds have you shot with this combo on your AR?

Zero at what distance? Top of dot? Middle? Do you see zero shift with magnifier? At what Distance?

How fast is the acquisition with and without the magnified? Field of view changes with magnifier?

All good questions....to which I will have will give you an answer once my rifle is complete. I'm almost done. I'll be picking up the last of the parts from the UPS center tomorrow.....it feels like the night before Christmas. :)

I'll be sure to post a range report the first chance I get. I plan to zero it at 50 yards and figure out my holdovers from there. I'm not sure if a 100 yard zero is a good idea but I might try it and see.

-Robert E. Howard

MBtech
12-02-14, 18:52
Thanks, I did this partly because I couldn't find a lot of sight pictures of the primary arms stuff. I'm pretty impressed with the quality for the price.

I probably could afford an aimpoint if I really wanted. I know "you get what you pay for and all that" but I'm not going to Afghanistan with it. I wasn't even sure what I wanted for optics. It was between a red dot and a low power variable scope. This will do for my purposes for now. I know a good scope would work perfectly for what I'm going to do with this rifle since scopes are something I have experience with. This is my first AR15 so I figured I would see how I like red dot sights until I can decide/save up for a scope. I'm gonna use it and if it breaks then I'll decide if I'm in love with magnified red dots or if I'm going to get a scope.

-Robert E. Howard

I'm in the same boat, I'm trying out some cheaper options just to find out what I like best first....
then I will "buy once cry once". Makes no sense to me to go all out right off the bat and find out you don't care for it.
I've never had a red dot sight before, this looks like something I'd get just to give one a try for that price.

Gooch_
12-02-14, 18:55
I've never had a red dot sight before, this looks like something I'd get just to give one a try for that price.

This ^

I've got a two year old who doesn't care what kind of optic I put on my ar15.......she wants to go to
"Mickey's Merry Christmas" .....so primary arms it is.

-Robert E. Howard

Charlie Don't Surf
12-02-14, 19:08
It's a good start but upgrade someday, I've broken 2 and I'm a regular joe.

Two of the same optic as the OP? If so how did they break?

nimdabew
12-02-14, 19:30

I had one that would turn on and off while firing after only about 150-200 rounds. Sent it back and put my EoTech back on the rifle.

sadmin
12-02-14, 20:25

One control knob snapped off and the other would shut on and off while firing. These incidents were not close together, I purchased my first one 5 or so years ago.

MBtech
12-02-14, 20:35
This ^

I've got a two year old who doesn't care what kind of optic I put on my ar15.......she wants to go to
"Mickey's Merry Christmas" .....so primary arms it is.

-Robert E. Howard

Some of us just can't afford to go 100% Mall Ninja all at once :sarcastic:

Hope she has a Merry Mickey Christmas.

Good review and pics.

treadwisely
12-03-14, 11:26
Would like to see how their newest red dot holds up. The new 50,000 hr dot is a great feature.

Sean W.
12-03-14, 11:50

RDS's are the best investment anyone can make for their AR. Nothing mall ninja about it. There's a reason most work guns have an RDS.

Starting a review without shooting it or with one range session isn't going to help us much. Updating us after thousands of rounds would be helpful though.

MBtech
12-03-14, 12:01
RDS's are the best investment anyone can make for their AR. Nothing mall ninja about it. There's a reason most work guns have an RDS.

Starting a review without shooting it or with one range session isn't going to help us much. Updating us after thousands of rounds would be helpful though.

I agree, I was just referring to buying the most expensive stuff first before finding out thats what works for you with the mall ninja remark. We all have our own budget, no offense meant.

daddyusmaximus
12-03-14, 12:55
If you do choose to upgrade in the future, you won't regret it.

A good quality optic like an EOTech or an Aimpoint can be a life saver. I used the same EOTech in my last two deployments to Iraq. The fast target acquisition speed of something like this is outstanding. I owe it my life. It got beat around as much as I did too. I walk with a cane now...:( but the EOTech still works perfect, :) though it's on my son's AR now. I have Aimpoints on my ARs now due to a trade I made. They are just as good, and the battery life is better.

Gooch_
12-03-14, 15:39
If you do choose to upgrade in the future, you won't regret it.

A good quality optic like an EOTech or an Aimpoint can be a life saver. I used the same EOTech in my last two deployments to Iraq. The fast target acquisition speed of something like this is outstanding. I owe it my life. It got beat around as much as I did too. I walk with a cane now...:( but the EOTech still works perfect, :) though it's on my son's AR now. I have Aimpoints on my ARs now due to a trade I made. They are just as good, and the battery life is better.

Thanks you for your service..and your sacrifice. I'm glad to hear you have had good experiences with the eotech snd aimpoint. I may see how I like the micro style sight for a while and go from there. I'll upgrade one day. Until then .....this will do fine since I doubt I'll find myself relying on it or abuse it to the level you did.

-Robert E. Howard

Gooch_
12-03-14, 15:55

I plan to update the review once I've zeroed and beat on it a bit. The purpose was a table top review and to provide some sight pictures for those who were on the fence. I was unable to find many photos of the RDS with magnification.

-Robert E. Howard

equilibrium
12-05-14, 17:14
The magnifier is very good although I can not speak for the micro dot. Either way PA equipment is excellent. Great review and excellent pictures.

Gooch_
12-05-14, 17:15
The magnifier is very good although I can not speak for the micro dot. Either way PA equipment is excellent. Great review and excellent pictures.

Thanks what optic is your magnifier on?

-Robert E. Howard

equilibrium
12-05-14, 17:54
I have it behind an Aimpoint Comp M2. Very old and the outer shell shows signs of abuse(because it has seen it's share of abusive days), but the sight is remarkable. I wasn't used to red dots until I got out of the Marine Corps(we shoot the ACOGS) but I love the M2 and now choose a red dot over ACOG anyday. Don't get me wrong the ACOG is amazing but for my needs it isn't practical. I rarely shoot out to 500 yards anymore and if I was to shoot that far I could easily hit a man sized target with iron sights(will take some trial shots to begin with). All in all the red dot suits my needs more than the ACOG would, plus I hated the eye relief on the ACOG. This of course is all IMHO.

Gooch_
12-05-14, 17:57
I have it behind an Aimpoint Comp M2. Very old and the outer shell shows signs of abuse(because it has seen it's share of abusive days), but the sight is remarkable. I wasn't used to red dots until I got out of the Marine Corps(we shoot the ACOGS) but I love the M2 and now choose a red dot over ACOG anyday. Don't get me wrong the ACOG is amazing but for my needs it isn't practical. I rarely shoot out to 500 yards anymore and if I was to shoot that far I could easily hit a man sized target with iron sights(will take some trial shots to begin with). All in all the red dot suits my needs more than the ACOG would, plus I hated the eye relief on the ACOG. This of course is all IMHO.

Awesome, I asked because anyone else reading with the same optic considering the magnifier would like to know im sure. Thank you for your service.

-Robert E. Howard

equilibrium
12-05-14, 18:00
Awesome, I asked because anyone else reading with the same optic considering the magnifier would like to know im sure. Thank you for your service.

-Robert E. Howard

No need to thank me brother. Just so you know, the Aimpoints can be had for around $250 used on Ebay. Will have a rough shell but that doesn't mean S@#$ when talking aimpoint.

epoch2k
12-06-14, 13:47
PA had the 3x on sale during black friday. Kinda wish I picked one up, even though I have no use for one

Gooch_
12-06-14, 21:02
PA had the 3x on sale during black friday. Kinda wish I picked one up, even though I have no use for one

Ya they have been awesome. I actually purchased it hours before it went on sale. I just called them up and refunded the difference back to me. I told them I was going to place another order so store credit would be fine. They then gave me free shipping. Awesome customer service.

-Robert E. Howard

equilibrium
12-06-14, 21:13
Ya they have been awesome. I actually purchased it hours before it went on sale. I just called them up and refunded the difference back to me. I told them I was going to place another order so store credit would be fine. They then gave me free shipping. Awesome customer service.

-Robert E. Howard

That's awesome man. I do love me some PA!! Play with the focus a little bit until you get the "sweet spot" that suits you best. I have it to where the RDS is about as clear(not fuzzy) as I could get it. Sometimes it has a shooting star effect but it isn't anywhere near bad enough to cause problems hitting your target.

TBL467
12-07-14, 08:38
When I was first looking at optics for my AR i thought i would enjoy an Aimpoint Micro, but just couldn't bring myself to pay that much for something I was unsure about. So, I bought and ran a PA micro on my AR for about 2 years. Found out that the micro style just wasnt for me. Saved big time in the long run.

Just bought an EOTech from PA and got a free magnifier and mount. Tried out the magnifier, just didnt like the added weight. Other than that one small complaint, it's a good piece of equipment. The wife took the magnifier and put it behind her Vortex SF. She loves the thing.

Gooch_
12-07-14, 08:49
When I was first looking at optics for my AR i thought i would enjoy an Aimpoint Micro, but just couldn't bring myself to pay that much for something I was unsure about. So, I bought and ran a PA micro on my AR for about 2 years. Found out that the micro style just wasnt for me. Saved big time in the long run.

Just bought an EOTech from PA and got a free magnifier and mount. Tried out the magnifier, just didnt like the added weight. Other than that one small complaint, it's a good piece of equipment. The wife took the magnifier and put it behind her Vortex SF. She loves the thing.

I'm glad I went the less expensive route as well for this reason. I feel that in the long run I won't be in love with the micro style RDS. I also think an eotech will be for me. That being said . It's an awesome sight.

-Robert E. Howard

en4cer
12-08-14, 13:19
I was searching for an optic for a S&W 15-22 when I came across your thread Gooch. This looks like it could work. Thanks for doing it and great pics. My question to you is are you saying you paid $160 for the entire package including mounts? I'm coming up with a much higher price. About $220 and that's with a non QD magnifier mount. The RDS is supposed to be coming back in stock over the next few days so i'll order when it does. Am I missing a coupon code or did you just get it on sale? Don't take it wrong, even at $220 I think its worth considering, I was just curious about the price you mentioned. I've got another Primary Arms RDS mounted on a Beretta Storm and have had no issues with it. They have a good product at a good price imo.

brickboy240
12-08-14, 15:59
I have that same red dot on my M&P15-22 as well as my daughter's hot-rodded Ruger 10-22.

Amazingly enough...they have held up well and my daughter has beaten the little 10-22 around quite a bit! LOL

For the money...they are decent. Not something I want to take to battle or use in a patrol car on duty but for plinking and playing around they will get the job done.

On my 5.56 ARs, I went with the Aimpoint PRO and really like it. Starting out with the PA unit and upgrading later is not a bad idea. I shot my 6920 with irons for a very long time before it saw the PRO.

epoch2k
12-08-14, 20:55
I was searching for an optic for a S&W 15-22 when I came across your thread Gooch. This looks like it could work. Thanks for doing it and great pics. My question to you is are you saying you paid $160 for the entire package including mounts? I'm coming up with a much higher price. About $220 and that's with a non QD magnifier mount. The RDS is supposed to be coming back in stock over the next few days so i'll order when it does. Am I missing a coupon code or did you just get it on sale? Don't take it wrong, even at $220 I think its worth considering, I was just curious about the price you mentioned. I've got another Primary Arms RDS mounted on a Beretta Storm and have had no issues with it. They have a good product at a good price imo.
They were having a black friday sale at the time. Wait until it gets closer to Christmas and you may be able to grab one for a lower price.

brickboy240
12-09-14, 10:47
Yes..that PA red dot on an S&W M&P15-22 is big, big fun.

We have run one pretty hard for the last 2 years and it has held up well.

I don't see a need for a 200-500 dollar optic on a 22 rimfire AR that is basically a toy. This is the platform where the PA stuff is totally appropriate if you ask me.

The PA micro on the 10-22 is also still running fine and the only thing I have done to it in 4 years is swap batteries.

equilibrium
12-09-14, 16:22
Yes..that PA red dot on an S&W M&P15-22 is big, big fun.

We have run one pretty hard for the last 2 years and it has held up well.

I don't see a need for a 200-500 dollar optic on a 22 rimfire AR that is basically a toy. This is the platform where the PA stuff is totally appropriate if you ask me.

The PA micro on the 10-22 is also still running fine and the only thing I have done to it in 4 years is swap batteries.

Did it have a battery life of 4 years?

Gooch_
12-09-14, 16:42

Ya man I got it during the Black Friday sale. Primary arms stuff seems to do what it's supposed to....not what aimpoint is supposed to....but a lot of us don't do what aimpoint is supposed to either.

I'm glad the review helped you out. The reason I did it is that I found a ton of info but no real good pics of the sight pictures.

At the Black Friday price I couldn't pass it up. I originally wanted a variable scope but decided on this for now.

-Robert E. Howard

en4cer
12-09-14, 17:43
They came back in stock today. I went ahead and ordered. I've been sitting on the fence to long for an optic for the 15-22. You and brickboy kinda pushed me off. Thanks again guys.

Gooch_
12-10-14, 07:04
They came back in stock today. I went ahead and ordered. I've been sitting on the fence to long for an optic for the 15-22. You and brickboy kinda pushed me off. Thanks again guys.

Sure thing post some pics when you get it squared away

-Robert E. Howard

Gunney57
09-11-17, 20:23
8 ar's. 6 red dots. Can we agree they all can't be $500 or more? Been pretty happy with primary arms. Whooped"em pretty good without issue. Rather milspec for Indian country but impressed overall for my defensive workouts.