PDA

View Full Version : 11.5 inch barrel flash mitagation options

gregshin
12-02-14, 11:56
I'm running an A2 flash hider on my 11.5 I load my own ammo using H335 Powder which nearly is identical to M193 powder.

That being said I'd like to see if it is worth getting a different flash hider to minimize flash.

turnburglar
12-02-14, 13:16
Any of the 3 prong devices work.

Aac blackout, be meyers 249f or Smith vortex

freefly
12-02-14, 13:36
Any of the 3 prong devices work.

Aac blackout, be meyers 249f or Smith vortex
Yep, those will all do the trick.

If you are planning on running it suppressed, it might be a good time to decide on what direction you want to go, and buy the applicable FH.

Just be aware that most 3-prong flash hiders will "ping" when fired, which can be annoying to some. I believe SilencerCo has one with varying prong lengths that greatly reduces the tuning-fork effect, FWIW.

Slippers
12-02-14, 16:40
I run a SilencerCo Trifecta flash hider on a BCM 11.5. It doesn't ping, at all. The flash suppression is better than when I had an A2 on it, but it definitely depends on the ammo.

calviroman
12-02-14, 19:50
FWIW, I run a vortex FH on my 11.5's and they have WAY less muzzle flash in low light than any of my handguns. Agree with the poster above on the 3-4 prong FH's being best for pure flash redux.

markm
12-03-14, 07:00
Switch that GOD AWFUL powder!!! That crap is horrendous. I only run that crap when I want to enhance flash at night shoots for the foolish fun factor.

HKGuns
12-03-14, 10:46
I run a SilencerCo Trifecta flash hider on a BCM 11.5. It doesn't ping, at all. The flash suppression is better than when I had an A2 on it, but it definitely depends on the ammo.

I hear no discernible ping from my 249F equipped rifle either. I was expecting to hear a ping as well after reading about it on the Internet. If it is there my ears don't hear it at least.

Concur with the recommendations above, including the powder switch.

gregshin
12-03-14, 11:21
I hear no discernible ping from my 249F equipped rifle either. I was expecting to hear a ping as well after reading about it on the Internet. If it is there my ears don't hear it at least.

Concur with the recommendations above, including the powder switch.

I've got probably 30lbs of it and it the way powder is right now i'll take anything i can load with it :eek: What powders do you guys like? Ramshot TAC?

as for the prong devices...which one gives the less pinging sound?

nate89
12-03-14, 11:24
I like H322, XBR, and TAC.

Slippers
12-03-14, 11:28
as for the prong devices...which one gives the less pinging sound?

I've only used the AAC blackout and SilencerCo trifecta. The AAC seemed to be different from rifle to rifle. Some ping loud as heck, and continue ringing well after the shot. Others are hardly noticeable above the bang. I wonder if it has to do with using a crush washer for the non-suppressor mount version versus no washer at all for suppressor use, and then carbon buildup.

I have two trifectas, and both have been completely silent from day one on 11.5" and 18" barrels.

markm
12-03-14, 11:32
I like H322, XBR, and TAC.

W748 is a really low flash powder. I remember doing a head to head with H335, and I had a load that actually was hotter than the H335 load and yielded about 5% of the muzzle flash. It's almost comical how flashy h335 is.

(without a doubt... the biggest improvement to me made for the OP is in a powder change.)

nate89
12-03-14, 11:44
I changed from H335 after taking my loads to a night shoot. The only way to shoot two fast rounds on a target was to hammer pair them (or shoot two round off of one sight picture), because after taking one shot--you couldn't see the target, and that was from a 16" barrel!

markm
12-03-14, 11:47
I changed from H335 after taking my loads to a night shoot. The only way to shoot two fast rounds on a target was to hammer pair them (or shoot two round off of one sight picture), because after taking one shot--you couldn't see the target, and that was from a 16" barrel!

I've posted this before... but Here's a taste of H335's potential.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QD4URaYSozM

gregshin
12-03-14, 12:13
win748 or TAC?

which would you guys pick? i feel as tho TAC is more versatile but i already use RL-15 for my 75gr-77gr loads.

my concern is low flash

markm
12-03-14, 12:18
I can guarantee good results with 748, but I don't remember TAC being a flash powder either. 748 is marketed as a low temp burn powder, and that seems to translate into low flash.

BufordTJustice
12-03-14, 12:55
What about CFE powder? It has some flash suppressant in it, right?

http://www.natchezss.com/Category.cfm?contentID=productDetail&brand=HD&prodID=HDCFE2231&prodTitle=Hodgdon%20CFE%20223%20Spherical%20Rifle%20Powder%201%20lb.

daddyusmaximus
12-03-14, 13:01
I run the KX3 on my SBR and it has functioned for 3 or 4 years now without a hic-up or too big of a muzzle flash. Then I ran some XM193 through it and found that big SBR muzzle flash everybody was talking about. I don't reload, so I never thought of powder, but in most loads the flaming pig does a good job. It directs much of the fierce blast downrange as well. People still look, but no more so than with my M44 Mosin.

markm
12-03-14, 13:01
I only shot 1 lb of CFE, and probably none in low light. But I'd guess that any of the suggested options would be good.

BufordTJustice
12-03-14, 13:20
I only shot 1 lb of CFE, and probably none in low light. But I'd guess that any of the suggested options would be good.
Roger. I have a bud who uses CFE and it is a really clean shooting powder, at least in my barrels, for whatever that's worth.