PDA

View Full Version : Sequential Serial Numbers for Glock?

El Cid
12-02-14, 18:51
We now have the option at work to buy/carry Gen 4 Glocks. Unfortunately they must be black so my DE/OD 9mm's are a no go. I am looking at selling or trading my G21 and going with a G17 and a G19.

I've noticed that some of my DE Glocks are very close in serial numbers even though they may not be the same model (17, 19, 34). Since dealers receive guns in bulk is there any chance that I'd be able to secure a 17 and 19 that are sequential?

It's not a deal breaker but for heirloom purposes I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask. I'm in no way interested in calling distributors all over creation. But if it's something commonly seen....

ETA: Just looked through my records. I have a Dark Earth G34 with the serial XXX972 and a Dark Earth G19 that has the same prefix with 352. This is what got me thinking there could be a 17 and 19 with sequential serial numbers.

GeorgeB
12-02-14, 18:54
And...why would you even care?

El Cid
12-02-14, 18:58
And...why would you even care?

I just explained why. If I pass them on to future generations it would be neat that they're sequential. And... why did you post in this thread?

Don Robison
12-02-14, 19:01
Not sure about a 17 and 19, but I know you can get the same model sequential. I have an OCD friend who only buys Glocks in pairs and only pairs of sequential serial numbers.

PLCedeno
12-03-14, 05:45
Coincidently my local shop has 4 G19's that are sequential. All are gene. I have seen this once before and they were all G17's gen 4's also. Haven't seen sequence across model lines.

DanTSX
12-03-14, 07:35
It's only worth a slight premium in the future if:

You don't shoot them
You find the right buyer (needle in a haystack)
Some how G17's become "interesting" to collectors.

These are G17's, not pre-64 winchesters. You can get a slight premium for a sequential pair of anything. But you have to find the right buyer, and they have to typically be new or LNIB. Even so, you would only realize a slightly higher premium than the value of two non-sequential glocks. Maybe 5-10% more.

Sequential pairs come more into value in special edition or commemorative edition firearms. Even the numerous small runs of FDE or OD or even LAV glocks wouldn't qualify.m the only glocks that could possibly qualify for having any value as sequential pairs might be the Atlanta olympics pistol, the high polished talo G19's, and maybe the fish-gill RTF models.

It might be a neat curiosity. But the bottom line is that while glocks tend to hold their value VERY well relative to other polymer handguns, they are not a smart "investment" in any sense of the word unless you plan on pumping lots of ammo through it.

El Cid
12-03-14, 08:46
It's only worth a slight premium in the future if:

You don't shoot them
You find the right buyer (needle in a haystack)
Some how G17's become "interesting" to collectors.

These are G17's, not pre-64 winchesters. You can get a slight premium for a sequential pair of anything. But you have to find the right buyer, and they have to typically be new or LNIB. Even so, you would only realize a slightly higher premium than the value of two non-sequential glocks. Maybe 5-10% more.

Sequential pairs come more into value in special edition or commemorative edition firearms. Even the numerous small runs of FDE or OD or even LAV glocks wouldn't qualify.m the only glocks that could possibly qualify for having any value as sequential pairs might be the Atlanta olympics pistol, the high polished talo G19's, and maybe the fish-gill RTF models.

It might be a neat curiosity. But the bottom line is that while glocks tend to hold their value VERY well relative to other polymer handguns, they are not a smart "investment" in any sense of the word unless you plan on pumping lots of ammo through it.

Nobody said anything about resale values. It's purely a gee-whiz thought. These will be duty weapons and get shot in classes and competitions. The idea that my future generations could have the pistols their dad/uncle/godfather carried on duty, and they have sequential serial numbers is all this is about. I don't imagine it's possible, but didn't see any harm in asking the question.

demkofour
12-03-14, 09:07
I think El Cid made it clear what his motivation is/was...
When I was assigned to my department's FTS as an instructor/armorer, we received box loads of Gen2 G19s and each case was sequential, but of course all 19s. I remember seeing serial numbers with either a two or three letter prefix and 000US right up to 999US. I never thought back then about grabbing up a pair, maybe I should have?
I'm not sure GLOCK runs the SNs in sequence through different models though...

Smash
12-03-14, 09:10
Its definitely possible. You'd probably have to find some local dealer that sells a lot of Glock volume. Tell them you'd pay $50 over the total price for the two and to call you when they come in. It's not really any extra work for them but it will be a waiting game.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=455673412

I can ask some FFL guys for you to find some.

Edit: I definitely didnt focus enough on the fact you want a 19 and 17 sequential. I subliminally read "or" not "and".

Beat Trash
12-03-14, 09:55
It would be a lot easier to find sequential serial numbers if you were looking at two of the same type of gun. I picked up a pair of Glock 19's in 2000 that had sequential serial numbers without asking for them.

I don't know if different model Glocks are running in the same serial number range at the same time. You might get the numbers sequential if that's what you are asking for. But the entire serial number?

El Cid
12-03-14, 10:42
Yea, wanting a 17/19 combo probably puts it out of reach and I'm okay with that. I just noticed I had a couple that were very close over the weekend (either 17/19 or 17/34 - can't recall).

I don't want folks jumping through hoops or spending lots of energy on this - I was just curious if it's possible. We only have one blue label dealer in my area, and they do a lot of volume, but I haven't heard back from them.

Much obliged gents!

Flankenstein
12-03-14, 11:04
Girl and I have sequential OD 17s...Wasn't intentionally and we didn't even notice it till we left the shop.

El Cid
12-03-14, 12:28
Girl and I have sequential OD 17s...Wasn't intentionally and we didn't even notice it till we left the shop.

Now you have to marry her. It's a rule...

Mr. Goodtimes
12-03-14, 16:08
The shop I work at frequently gets glocks in with sequential serial numbers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk