PDA

View Full Version : Muzzle Brake not perfectly timed

scooter22
12-02-14, 22:31
I recently had my LGS install a SF SOCOM brake while I was out of the country, but it looks to be off center by a couple of millimeters.

Will this affect the performance of the brake/mounting of the can, or am I just being "OCD"?

GH41
12-03-14, 06:15
It won't hurt anything but it would bother me having a $150 MD not installed properly. I would verify that it was installed with rock-set and he used shims to time it. There is an old saying down south... If girl doesn't wash her hair she probably doesn't wash her ass.

mark5pt56
12-03-14, 06:16
I can't say for certain that the timing could be felt or measured. But what I would be concerned with is making sure the threading is concentric and you won't have baffle strikes. You paid for the service-make them fix it. Easy on the timing, use the wheel Surefire provides, use the right shims and level the rifle and use a small straight edge in the ports for level-look at it from the muzzle end.

mark5pt56
12-03-14, 06:17
It won't hurt anything but it would bother me having a $150 MD not installed properly. I would verify that it was installed with rock-set and he used shims to time it. There is an old saying down south... If girl doesn't wash her hair she probably doesn't wash her ass.

Dang-that would be apparent rather quickly!:fie:

mpom
12-03-14, 06:54
Easy enough to do it yourself, and done right! Some of the folks calling themselves gunsmiths are not to be trusted, unless you know they are competent.
Timing a brake/comp so top is at 1 o'clock for right handed shooter 11 o'clock for lefty is sometimes done intentionally, to eliminate lateral movement, so would discuss w lgc and go from there.

scooter22
12-03-14, 08:27
I can't say for certain that the timing could be felt or measured. But what I would be concerned with is making sure the threading is concentric and you won't have baffle strikes. You paid for the service-make them fix it. Easy on the timing, use the wheel Surefire provides, use the right shims and level the rifle and use a small straight edge in the ports for level-look at it from the muzzle end.

The SF shims were definitely used.

Pardon my ignorance, but how does one check the concentricity?

markm
12-03-14, 08:33

I'm guessing he made the assumption that you had the barrel threaded too.... so you'd want to make sure the guy got that correct.

You can get a decent idea on concentricity by putting the can on the mount and looking down the barrel from the chamber. The shadow of the endcap should be pretty evenly visible when you move your eye up/down and side to side.

C4IGrant
12-03-14, 08:51

A good armorer is going to use a straight rod to check that everything lines up.

If you are the least bit worried, not a bad idea to pick on of these up: http://geissele.com/15-5-56mm-suppressor-alignment-rod.html

We check ever suppress we mount with this tool.

C4

treadwisely
12-03-14, 11:29
A good armorer is going to use a straight rod to check that everything lines up.

If you are the least bit worried, not a bad idea to pick on of these up: http://geissele.com/15-5-56mm-suppressor-alignment-rod.html

We check ever suppress we mount with this tool.

C4

Never seen that before! pretty cool gauge.