PDA

View Full Version : CLP vs. LSA

shadowspirit
12-03-14, 01:18
I've read with Breakfree CLP it is not meant to stay on a firearm for a long time before the firearm is fired. For example, if used to lube a gun, then a few months pass by, the gun should be lubed again before firing. Is that true with LSA (Lubricating Oil, Semi-fluid) as well? Another way to phrase the question is which stays on longer?

halmbarte
12-03-14, 02:29
CLP's oils evaporate faster than LSA, and I typically relube before shooting. OTOH, I also knock any dust of of the bore immediately before shooting too, so I'm probably being paranoid.

The antiwear additives that are usually used don't typically evaporate, and would provide some wear protection even if you shot the weapon w/o it being wet.

My normal gun oil, Aeroshell Fluid 18*, evaporates (w/o leaving any varnish or residue) in about 6 weeks or so. I haven't had any troubles after using it for the past 6 years or so, even shooting corrosive ammo in the rain in Oregon.

H

*And apparently it's no longer stocked by my favorite vendor, Skygeek. Royco 308CA meets the same spec as the AS18, and is $34/gallon from Skygeek: http://www.skygeek.com/anderol-308-1gl-royco-308ca-preservative-oil-gal.html

They have Royco CLP too: http://www.skygeek.com/anderol-634-1gl-royco-634-cleaner-preservative-lube-1-gal.html

jaygee
12-03-14, 10:02
I use LSA as a general lube agent, with the good results you'd expect. I also use CLP, but mostly as a cleaner. In summer time I run with Castrol Syntech 50 wgt. oil for lube. Awesome stuff!

sinister
12-03-14, 10:33
LSA (Lubricant, Semi-fluid, for Automatic Weapons) is a single-function lube. It was originally envisioned and used for machineguns to include the 50 cal and 7.62 minigun used at high altitudes in the cold on aircraft. Consider the high rotation and firing rate of the minigun and yes, you'd probably want the machine to work well while lubed at either high or low rate of fire.

CLP is a compromise to do three things, none well. Logisticians can put one item on a pallet and ship anywhere without stocking, shipping, tracking, and issuing two items.

LSA is still carried in the US supply system and in .mil weapons pubs. A 1-quart can bought from a surplus store can last a single user decades.

shadowspirit
12-06-14, 20:47
CLP's oils evaporate faster than LSA, and I typically relube before shooting. OTOH, I also knock any dust of of the bore immediately before shooting too, so I'm probably being paranoid.

The antiwear additives that are usually used don't typically evaporate, and would provide some wear protection even if you shot the weapon w/o it being wet.

My normal gun oil, Aeroshell Fluid 18*, evaporates (w/o leaving any varnish or residue) in about 6 weeks or so. I haven't had any troubles after using it for the past 6 years or so, even shooting corrosive ammo in the rain in Oregon.

H

*And apparently it's no longer stocked by my favorite vendor, Skygeek. Royco 308CA meets the same spec as the AS18, and is $34/gallon from Skygeek: http://www.skygeek.com/anderol-308-1gl-royco-308ca-preservative-oil-gal.html

They have Royco CLP too: http://www.skygeek.com/anderol-634-1gl-royco-634-cleaner-preservative-lube-1-gal.html

Thanks for the post. It got me thinking maybe CLP is good for a carry gun that is periodically cleaned and re-oiled even if not shot often. Dirt would come off easily since the lube is a cleaner as well. A person can wipe the firearm down with a rag, even without first putting on CLP, then put on a thin coating of CLP.

I'm curious which is a better lube, without considering cleaning or corrosion protection, Aeroshell 18 (aka PL-S), or CLP.

halmbarte
12-06-14, 21:10
From looking at the tech data sheets for Aeroshell, Royco 308CA, and Royco CLP, the CLP has the smallest 4 ball wear test scar number, followed by the 308CA, then the Aeroshell Fluid 18. Smaller wear scars are better.

H

shadowspirit
12-06-14, 21:40
From looking at the tech data sheets for Aeroshell, Royco 308CA, and Royco CLP, the CLP has the smallest 4 ball wear test scar number, followed by the 308CA, then the Aeroshell Fluid 18. Smaller wear scars are better.

H

Good information.

My guess is that LSA would beat them all.

halmbarte
12-07-14, 06:11
This spec sheet indicates that LSA is allowed to have a wear scar pf 0.5mm in the 4 ball wear test: http://everyspec.com/MIL-SPECS/MIL-SPECS-MIL-L/MIL-L-46000C_38845/

That's better than the AS18, but not quite as good as the 308CA or CLP.

H

Eurodriver
12-07-14, 06:55
I'll never understand why folks who aren't limited to certain items by supply and logistics issues would use piss poor lubricants in their personally owned weapons.

Using LSA in an AR15 when Fireclean, Froglube, Slip, and others are available at the click of a mouse? It'd be like building your own top fuel dragster but using JP-8 (or running 9mm Ball in your carry gun) because it's Mil-spec.

BufordTJustice
12-07-14, 07:00
I'll never understand why folks who aren't limited to certain items by supply and logistics issues would use piss poor lubricants in their personally owned weapons.

Using LSA in an AR15 when Fireclean, Froglube, Slip, and others are available at the click of a mouse? It'd be like building your own top fuel dragster but using JP-8 (or running 9mm Ball in your carry gun) because it's Mil-spec.
Exactly. These are the good ole days of lubricant technology.

U&A
12-07-14, 09:00
I use LSA as a general lube agent, with the good results you'd expect. I also use CLP, but mostly as a cleaner. In summer time I run with CaWstrol Syntech 50 wgt. oil for lube. Awesome stuff!

Nice.

I will Have To Try The Heavier Stuff. I Generaly Use Amsoil 10-30. Maby I Will Start Using The Stuff I Put In My Bike. 20w-50. I Always Add A Small Amount Of Synthetic Tranny Fluid Because Of The Deturgents It It.. Been Doing It For A Long Time With Excelent Results.

eperk
12-07-14, 15:01
IMHO if you lube and clean regularly it really doesn't matter what you use.

equilibrium
12-07-14, 16:32
I have been using CLP for a while and recently wanted to change due to many of the factors brought up in this thread.

equilibrium
12-07-14, 16:33
The motor oil method is very intriguing and probably the best from the outside looking in since I haven't given it a shot yet.

shadowspirit
12-08-14, 19:02
I think in the days before CLP, the military used to clean with a dedicated cleaner, then put on PL-S (one of the oils discussed above). When it was time to shoot, then they would lube with LSA (I think). Question: Did they take off the preservative (PL-S) first, or just add the LSA?

Enoch
12-08-14, 19:32
Don't mean to jack the thread but has anyone ever used Plastilube? ATE 700015 Plastilube Lubricant - 75 ml https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003VXPY2M/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_Q8KHub0CQ44W0

When I bought my Garand from CMP, it was recommended by the care guide on the CMP website. Has a vaseline-like consistency. I used it on the contact areas of the bolt and rails before putting it in the safe, but haven't shot it yet so don't know about it's wear or lasting time, but it seems to nicely slick up the action.

That being said, I tend to use CLP the most.

Thump_rrr
12-08-14, 22:29
Don't mean to jack the thread but has anyone ever used Plastilube? ATE 700015 Plastilube Lubricant - 75 ml https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003VXPY2M/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_Q8KHub0CQ44W0

When I bought my Garand from CMP, it was recommended by the care guide on the CMP website. Has a vaseline-like consistency. I used it on the contact areas of the bolt and rails before putting it in the safe, but haven't shot it yet so don't know about it's wear or lasting time, but it seems to nicely slick up the action.

That being said, I tend to use CLP the most.
Last summer I attended a 2 day CQB clinic put on by someone I know.
His weapon of choice, which he gives courses on is the M14 rifle.
He was giving out little syringes filled with Lubriplate 130-A.
My shooting partner used this on his AR-15.
That afternoon we were laying in the dirt, ejection port facing the ground shooting in the modified prone position.
Needless to say many of the rifles lubed with grease were beginning to fail.
My Noveske lubed with Militec-1 run slightly wet didn't miss a beat.

shadowspirit
12-08-14, 23:12

I heard good things about Militec-1, too. Especially in the desert.

BufordTJustice
12-09-14, 08:08
It is a very good lube in my experience. But it didn't do much for me in Florida in terms of rust prevention. In fact, it didn't do much at all. But it was really slick.

T2C
12-09-14, 08:10
Last summer I attended a 2 day CQB clinic put on by someone I know.
His weapon of choice, which he gives courses on is the M14 rifle.
He was giving out little syringes filled with Lubriplate 130-A.
My shooting partner used this on his AR-15.
That afternoon we were laying in the dirt, ejection port facing the ground shooting in the modified prone position.

Lubriplate 130-A and Plastilube are outstanding lubricants for parts of the M1 Garand and M-14. They help reduce wear on parts unique to these weapons and not found on the AR. I would not use either lubricant on an AR.

There are countless ways to keep an AR running. I like to use Mobil 1 full synthetic motor oil and keep my AR wet.

You had me on the meaning of the acronym LSA. Years and years ago when I was on active duty, I thought it stood for Lubricant, Small Arms.

GrumpyM4
12-12-14, 12:36
LSA will NEVER see the inside (or out) of any of my guns. The stuff is pure shit. I'd sooner lube it with vasaline.

Its lube properties are marginal at best and it's long term effectiveness.....well, lets just say that there isn't any. Don't try to use it as a long term storage lube. This is something I happen to have a lot of experience with.

Shao
12-12-14, 12:48
I use CLP after shooting and to clean gunk off of things. I have a whole arsenal at my disposal and most I think are just gimmicky. For long-term storage I douse everything in Ballistol. It's great. I was skeptical at first but Ballistol is amazing. You just don't know until you try it... I use Pro-Shot Zero Friction for my BCGs because I like the needle applicator and it was on clearance so I bought like three bottles of it. I'm not a fan of Frog Lube. It tends to make my bolt/carrier sticky. I use JP's slide glide or whatever it's called (I bought the big tub) on the rails of all of my semi-autos and it's like night and day when you rack the slide. I think people are always looking for the latest and greatest. Some of these products have merit and others can't even match decades old formulas.

But seriously, did I mention that I like Ballistol?

GrumpyM4
12-12-14, 13:28
I use Lucas Fuel injector cleaner to clean and Superlube grease for storage lube and use lube.

This, like all lube discussions, is bound to be full of everybodys personal opinions. My opinions are based on several years of long term weapons storage and the failures I've seen of various Mil-issued approved lubes. I also know what does my guns good while I'm gone for a year at a time.

Not saying my method is perfect or the "only" way, it's just one of the ways I've found that works.

U&A
12-12-14, 13:29
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sN6anOSVRQ

If you haven't seen this yet look at this guys videos. he is a little funny somtime but dose some good test with different gun lubes and alternative gun lubes. look at the other videos, there are more than this one.

sinlessorrow
12-12-14, 17:41

Militec-1 is one of the worste lubricants available. Has failed nearly every government trial of it, and has chlorinated actors which cause stress corrosion cracks when used on steel that sees high pressure.

http://books.google.com/books?output=html_text&id=sDZonEVMgb4C&dq=militec+banned&jtp=1

So yeah, your rifle will have more stoppages and reduced bolt life.

T2C
12-12-14, 17:49
I use Lucas Fuel injector cleaner to clean and Superlube grease for storage lube and use lube.

Would the Superlube grease be comparable to Mobil 1 synthetic wheel bearing grease?

cbx
12-12-14, 18:18
I've had good results with clp, but I'm sure there is better options available. Bottle I have is old, like 2008 old.

I think fire clean will be the next one I use.

ibmikey
12-12-14, 18:24
Go buy a quart of Mobil 1 and you can lubricate AR's for ever.

Shao
12-12-14, 19:51
Militec-1 is one of the worste lubricants available. Has failed nearly every government trial of it, and has chlorinated actors which cause stress corrosion cracks when used on steel that sees high pressure.

http://books.google.com/books?output=html_text&id=sDZonEVMgb4C&dq=militec+banned&jtp=1

So yeah, your rifle will have more stoppages and reduced bolt life.

It used to be big with the knife people. I question its actual usefulness as a lubricant. Plus it goes rancid after just a few years. I have a bottle that started smelling like pure ass within about 2-3 years of owning it and its only gotten worse. I don't know why I haven't thrown it away yet.

BufordTJustice
12-13-14, 08:40
It used to be big with the knife people. I question its actual usefulness as a lubricant. Plus it goes rancid after just a few years. I have a bottle that started smelling like pure ass within about 2-3 years of owning it and its only gotten worse. I don't know why I haven't thrown it away yet.
Maybe because you paid so much for it, like I did.