PDA

View Full Version : Substitute for Lapping a Bolt Action

alcante262
12-03-14, 17:40
I have a Remington 700 on a Kreiger barrel.I have abit of a sticking bolt.The bolt takes alot to push and is not slick.Is there anything I can do to smooth out the bolt mechanism.Ive used grease and worked it but still have a sticking problem.Someone mentioned Micro Slick it but Im not faminliar with the process.

mark5pt56
12-03-14, 18:14
Did you just have this built? If so, I would ask the smith about "squaring" it away. Is this in absence of ammunition or with?
Are you speaking simply working the bolt in the raceway(inside of receiver) or when closing and opening the bolt, again, with or without ammunition?

el_chingoton13
12-03-14, 20:06
If this occurs while chambering a round it could be a tight chamber.

tylerw02
12-03-14, 23:20
Are these handloaded rounds? What is the rifle chambered in? Also was the rifle cerakoted?
Sounds like to me you're either getting into the lands with the bullet, your headspace is very tight, or the chamber is tight overall if this occurs when you're chambering a round. If you're getting getting "sticky bolt" when running the bolt on an empty chamber, there could be binding somewhere; typically this goes away with use. Here's a good test...pull your firing pin mechanism from the bolt. Then work the bolt on an empty chamber. Does it still feel sticky and difficult? If so, it is likely something in the cocking-piece/firing pin mechanism.

I would avoid grease on the bolt body and raceways. It will collect carbon and make the problem worse after a few rounds, from my experience. I would recommend just a few drops of oil on the raceways and the lugs. If you feel you must use grease, grease only the back side of the lugs.

alcante262
12-04-14, 09:02
Both handloads and Match..308 Parkerized.Ill try your suggestion.

markm
12-04-14, 09:06
Is there something binding/rubbing? We had a long action screw that was impeding bolt movement once.

ride57
12-18-14, 09:03
Besides what every one above said

I always lap my bolts with either the lapping compound for lapping scopes to rings, or JB bore past. NOT the automotive valve grinding stuff. I apply generous amount to bolt and start working it. over and over. Yes, your arm will get tired. I will wipe off the compound and apply a bit of oil and see how it works. Every time I had to do it alot more. but when you get to the point where its smooth, COMPLETELY take the rifle apart, completely disassemble the bolt and clean everything. You don't want a bit of compound to fall into the trigger, or get into the firing pin channel or between the receiver and stock.
(a gunsmith told me this when I asked how much to do it, he knew me and the I liked to do as much as I can on my own. He said I'd have to charge a hour or more labor to do that, or you can do it yourself. He was insistant that I do NOT use automotive compound.)