PDA

View Full Version : Preban Colt sp1 car-15

leman
12-04-14, 18:06
Trying to find some info on this rifle that my uncle left me. Haven't seen many sp1 carbines and haven't seen any others with the 3 prong flash hider. Was this a factory option or do you think it was added later?

Thanks in advance

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v676/lenardo/guns/2643a6e1373c11343711ec4cb9c7d58a.jpg

48J
12-04-14, 21:02
The three prong flash hider was the original flash hider for the M16. The birdcage hider was adopted later partly because one of the three prongs would bend and damage performance.

That is a nice looking carbine.

scottryan
12-05-14, 09:43
The barrel and stock on that gun are not Colt.

That is most likely a full size SP1 rifle that someone tried to convert to a carbine.

Gun is worth $1000 at best in that condition.

leman
12-05-14, 10:05

That is most likely a full size SP1 rifle that someone tried to convert to a carbine.

Thanks for the info. I had doubts that the stock was original since it's plastic and most colts came with aluminum, but I also had heard in the later years they came with plastic ones. Mind dates 1980 so wasn't positive. Why do you say the barrel is not colt though?

scottryan
12-05-14, 12:17
Thanks for the info. I had doubts that the stock was original since it's plastic and most colts came with aluminum, but I also had heard in the later years they came with plastic ones. Mind dates 1980 so wasn't positive. Why do you say the barrel is not colt though?

The barrel is not a lightweight profile barrel. It is an aftermarket gun show special barrel that floated around in the 1980s.

The barrel should be lightweight profile marked

C MP B

or

C MP CHROME BORE

The delta ring and handguards are not colt.

The entire stock assembly including the tube, backplate, and lock ring is not colt.

Someone robbed the Colt parts off of that gun to sell them for money. They installed aftermarket junk and then passed the gun off as Colt factory. This was and still is a common scam.

scottryan
12-05-14, 12:23
I would also suspect the bolt carrier group has been switched.

A colt bolt carrier group will be marked with a C on the left side of the carrier and MPC on the bolt.

scottryan
12-05-14, 12:24
Colt plastic stocks are not molded like yours. They have different profiles and contours.

Renegade04
12-05-14, 12:32
What would be nice is some pics of the right side of the upper receiver, especially around the rear sight and the left side of both receivers. Also a pic of the barrel markings (if any). The Delta ring is incorrect. It should have a flat ring. The FH and the stock are not correct as well. The FH should be an A1 birdcage and the stock should be aluminum with the smooth vinyl acetate finish. It should also have one of the early buffer tube locking nuts ("castle nut"? that has the round holes and not the notches. The buffer tube should be a 2-position type. The barrel should be a lightweight "pencil" profile with a 1/12 twist. It does appear to be a hodge podge of parts.

leman
12-05-14, 13:23
Thanks for all the info guys. My guess is the bolt has been replaced since it has forward assist serrations, but it is still stamped with a C and has MPI on the bolt. Upper receiver is stamped C M.

Like I said this is one of the guns that my uncle left me so it's not like I'm out any money. He was a lawyer that would do work for guns and other random stuff. Who knows if he put this collaboration together or someone paid him with shorting him money.

scottryan
12-06-14, 12:47
Thanks for all the info guys. My guess is the bolt has been replaced since it has forward assist serrations, but it is still stamped with a C and has MPI on the bolt. Upper receiver is stamped C M.

Like I said this is one of the guns that my uncle left me so it's not like I'm out any money. He was a lawyer that would do work for guns and other random stuff. Who knows if he put this collaboration together or someone paid him with shorting him money.

A serrated carrier is correct for that gun. Colt stopped making slick side carriers in the late 1960s.

Renegade04
12-06-14, 14:09
A serrated carrier is correct for that gun. Colt stopped making slick side carriers in the late 1960s.

This is true. My 1977 Colt SP1 (all original) has the serrated semi-auto carrier.

mark5pt56
12-18-14, 06:05

Indeed, first thing I noticed was the heavy barrel.

platoonDaddy
12-18-14, 06:25
Plus the hand guards aren't from an earlier SP1

http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/ad176/slickville/001_zps68ba9efa.jpg (http://s933.photobucket.com/user/slickville/media/001_zps68ba9efa.jpg.html)

lunchbox
12-18-14, 12:12
Well it might not be a preban but it's still a slick lookin shooter. I bet it will still turn some heads at the range, enjoy the rifle from your uncle.

scottryan
12-19-14, 14:21
Well it might not be a preban but it's still a slick lookin shooter. I bet it will still turn some heads at the range, enjoy the rifle from your uncle.

The rifle in the OP is indeed preban

platoonDaddy
12-19-14, 15:04
The rifle in the OP is indeed preban

In my opinion, maybe the lower.

BGREID
03-27-15, 08:19
It should have an alloy buttstock with only two positions.