PDA

View Full Version : The top 5 overrated firearms

VIP3R 237
12-04-14, 18:10
A pretty solid list I think. I'm sure the fan boys will be butt hurt but that's half the fun of it.

I think the list is for the most part correct, except I'd trade the Luger for the Desert Eagle.

The XD and AK I thought were spot on.

http://www.gunnuts.net/2014/12/04/the-5-most-overrated-guns-of-all-time/

Moose-Knuckle
12-04-14, 18:21
1. The Springfield XD (all flavors)

Here’s your typical XD buyer: A guy who wants a polymer framed, striker fired handgun, but for whom the extra $100 for a Glock or M&P is too much. So instead he settles for the XD, and like anyone who takes their silver medal, must defend his choice vigorously to all comers. The XD enjoys all the benefits of the “Springfield” brand name, with all the quality control Croatia can muster! Because oh yeah, when I think quality firearms, I think “Croatia.” And you know what’s worse? Slapping the Springfield logo on the XD is what really ruins it, because when it was the HS2000 and cost $300, it would have made total sense. I would have climbed over mountains of Tauruses to get an XD, but nooooooo we have to import them with a reputable brand name and upcharge them to $450 for the base model. Now a new XDm will cost the same or even more than a Glock or M&P, which is just madness. It’s like walking into a car dealer and saying “yes, I’d like to pay $50,000 for a Camry” while the dealer himself is trying to sell you a BMW or a Mercedes.

2. The M14

I’d be worried about people getting out their pitchforks and torches and burning my house down because I’m defaming their beloved M14, but most M14 fanboys can’t get off the couch without a chair-lift anyway. Here is a typical M-14/M1A fan:

Our love affair for this gun is utterly bizarre. It lasted about 12 seconds as our main service rifle and was replaced by the M16 which has been soldiering on for damn near 50 years now. Meanwhile the M14 is relegated to use as the occasional DMR rifle, and even there it’s getting replaced by longer barreled M16s and AR pattern rifles in .308, because they’re better. People who love the M14 have spent too much time reading about how the .223 is a “poodle shooter” and think that everything would be better if we all just went back to the 1960s so we could hit women and get day drunk at work. The sad thing about M-14 fanboys is that it’s not even the best .308 of the era, the FAL is better by pretty much every single metric. The best thing you can say about the M14 is that it has a perfect one-shot stop record on Vincent D’Onofrio.

That was pure gold . . . :lol:

SteyrAUG
12-04-14, 18:26
They stepped on their dick with the Luger. Without it there wouldn't have been a Walther P-38 (which was obviously superior). Also I don't think anyone really thought it was a superior military side arm, World War I made that obvious, it's claim to fame is from being the first successful automatic handgun which it was. Nobody was taking the Borchardt to war obviously.

And despite all that, they still found their way into limited service in World War II.

Calling the AK-47 overrated us also about like calling the AR-15, 1911 or any other firearm overrated.

As for the XD, completely agree.

cwgibson
12-04-14, 18:40
That analysis of an XD owner is spot on. I know several and I swear I could offer them an HK 45 in an even swap and they would turn me down and tell me to keep my over engineered overpriced German gun.

Singlestack Wonder
12-04-14, 18:51
That analysis of an XD owner is spot on. I know several and I swear I could offer them an HK 45 in an even swap and they would turn me down and tell me to keep my over engineered overpriced German gun.

This and the AK analysis....+10

TriviaMonster
12-04-14, 19:16
To be fair, the XD and XDM quality control is very good. Customer service is also outstanding. The problem is in the cheapened design. Too many parts and some design flaws keep it from playing with the big boys. Considering how bad the design is, it's actually well pretty well made.

Big A
12-04-14, 19:19
Wait...are we not supposed to be getting day drunk at work :confused:

I completely agree with the list though. Especially the AK and XD...

PatrioticDisorder
12-04-14, 19:23
Decent list, I think the AK is over rated but wouldn't put it on the most over rated list... Why isn't the KSG on the over rated list? That would make a pretty good replacement on the list for the AK...

SteyrAUG
12-04-14, 19:25
To be fair, the XD and XDM quality control is very good. Customer service is also outstanding. The problem is in the cheapened design. Too many parts and some design flaws keep it from playing with the big boys. Considering how bad the design is, it's actually well pretty well made.

Given the price of modern CZ 75 and P-01 handguns I'd never touch a XD.

TriviaMonster
12-04-14, 19:27
P01 is very underrated. But yeah, XD'S need to be half price.

Kain
12-04-14, 19:31
Decent list, I think the AK is over rated but wouldn't put it on the most over rated list... Why isn't the KSG on the over rated list? That would make a pretty good replacement on the list for the AK...

Why isn't Keltec as a whole on the list in all honesty.

MountainRaven
12-04-14, 19:32
I feel like they missed perfect opportunities for putting Glocks, SiGs, and 1911s on that list.

Big A
12-04-14, 19:36
P01 is very underrated. But yeah, XD'S need to be half price.

Which is why as a 300$ HS2000 they were great but as a 500$ HS2000 that says Springfield on the slide it isn't worth it.

TriviaMonster
12-04-14, 19:40
Good point.

ralph
Wait...are we not supposed to be getting day drunk at work :confused:

I completely agree with the list though. Especially the AK and XD...

Years ago I knew a group of Ironworkers that were on the job, whose idea of lunch was a 6 pack of bud..One of them was pretty adept at downing a 6 pack between 12:00 and 12:20, leaving 10 minutes to get back to the jobsite and back up to the 15th floor where they were working... It was the 80's.... you had to be there... Anyway, I really got a chuckle about what the article said about the XD, and Ak...

Caeser25
Not alot of facts in there. AK but not the Mini14? Mosin is in there based on people Tapcoing them out? M14 in there due to him seeing a fat guy at range with one once?

TriviaMonster
12-04-14, 19:41
Which is why as a 300$ HS2000 they were great but as a 500$ HS2000 that says Springfield on the slide it isn't worth it.
It's worse than that, the HS2000 had a much better trigger.

Talon167
12-04-14, 19:45
Haha, that was really well written. And by well written, I mean it's like something I would write.

ramairthree
12-04-14, 19:46
I played with my brother's XD 9mm and a guy's XDM 5.25 9mm and a buddies XDM .45.
I was not disdainful of them.
Not in love, but not disdainful either.

I am not in love with the MandP either, but I tried out a buddies VD or whatever it is that replaced the Sigma. He was all happy he got it for 300$ and thought it was awesome. It was atrocious. It was like a Glock that had been built by some drunk night shift in an affiliate factory in Ethiopia or something.

In all honesty, speaking of Glock,
they really deserve a place in the top over rated handguns of all time.

Horrible ergos without replacing the mag release and slide release. El Cheapo sights. I see them limp wristed and MF a lot. They do not MF a lot, but they do despite reputation even without being limp wristed. And the initial issues with the Gen4 should be an embarrassment.

There should be a list of the totally awesome looking, coolest movie/TV guns, that are no where near as cool once you get them.
HKs, UZIs, etc.
Though to be fair a lot of the issues are simple dated things.

VIP3R 237
12-04-14, 20:07

I think most believe Keltec are shit, and not as in 'the shit' so I can see why the list didn't include them.

Kain
12-04-14, 20:16
I think most believe Keltec are shit, and not as in 'the shit' so I can see why the list didn't include them.

You haven't met some of the people I have then because I know people who look at Kel tec shit and think it is the greatest thing ever. And while they have some really nifty idea their execution sucks.

Moose-Knuckle
12-04-14, 20:26
Yeah but just what handguns are not over rated?

As said above the CZs and the Hi-Powers are well underated.

Kain
12-04-14, 20:29
Yeah but just what handguns are not over rated?

As said above the CZs and the Hi-Powers are well underated.

Honestly, depending on the group you are referring to, most anything can be overrated.

Moose-Knuckle
12-04-14, 20:33
Honestly, depending on the group you are referring to, most anything can be overrated.

This is true but I felt the author nailed the XD fanboys to the proverbial "t".

ramairthree
12-04-14, 21:31
You haven't met some of the people I have then because I know people who look at Kel tec shit and think it is the greatest thing ever. And while they have some really nifty idea their execution sucks.

Whether it is a cheap KelTec or a more expensive CX4,
people have a hard time accepting that they would be lucky to last one night outside the wire.

williejc
12-05-14, 00:40
When I was growing up in the 50s and 60s, Lugers were so common at gun shows that you could buy one in great shape for $45. Like others, I played with many. The knowledgeable Luger shooter appreciated the pistol for its superb machining, and finely fitted parts and beautiful finish. Nobody credited it for being reliable in the field because the Luger's closely fitted parts and complicated design guaranteed trouble for a shooter who would not clean the pistol religiously. Their trigger pulls are long, spongy, and heavy. They are highly rated because of historical significance and because Lugers hold a place in that first group of successful semiautomatic handguns. Only an idiot would say that Lugers were over rated because people like us never considered Lugers to be the best choice for a combat handgun during the two world wars(or any other time) anyway.

Iraqgunz
12-05-14, 02:37
I disagree with the AK47 being on the list. The development needs to be taken into context and though it may not be "ergonomic" it was one of the first widely fielded assault rifles in the history of small arms and fit into the Soviet military doctrine. Meanwhile we were still incapable of fielding a good rifle with a large magazine capacity. And it was fielded years ahead of the M16 and has killed millions the world over.

Moose-Knuckle
12-05-14, 02:46
I disagree with the AK47 being on the list. The development needs to be taken into context and though it may not be "ergonomic" it was one of the first widely fielded assault rifles in the history of small arms and fit into the Soviet military doctrine. Meanwhile we were still incapable of fielding a good rifle with a large magazine capacity. And it was fielded years ahead of the M16 and has killed millions the world over.

Yup, to date I own more Kalashnikovs than I do Stoners.

FromMyColdDeadHand
12-05-14, 06:11
I think the key is overrated doesn't need to mean 'bad'. HK PSPs could be on that list. I like mine, it is really interestingly engineered, but there might be a reason no other gun is made that way.

The Judge, the Kel-tec could be on the list- but I think the interesting part of the list is that none of the guns are bad- they actually are good guns, but they aren't nearly as good as the people that advocate them seem to think they are.

Heck, you could put a Hi-point on that list, enough dumb-asses swear by them. The list is interesting because they are fairly successful and well engineered guns- for the most part.

The_War_Wagon
12-05-14, 06:11
I feel like they missed perfect opportunities for putting Glocks, SiGs, and 1911s on that list.

I'll second ANYTHING named, "Glock."

markm
12-05-14, 06:35
The M14 bit is spot on! The current Springfields border on Olympic Arms levels of performance. And yeah... most M14 fanboys do fill a moo moo out nicely. :sarcastic:

TXBK
12-05-14, 07:17
It seems that most of the avid M14 users that I know also insist that an AR should and must have a piston.

WillBrink
12-05-14, 07:25
A pretty solid list I think. I'm sure the fan boys will be butt hurt but that's half the fun of it.

I think the list is for the most part correct, except I'd trade the Luger for the Desert Eagle.

The XD and AK I thought were spot on.

http://www.gunnuts.net/2014/12/04/the-5-most-overrated-guns-of-all-time/

Agree or not, dude has a sense of humor. I LOL'd at several comments like:

"Slapping the Springfield logo on the XD is what really ruins it, because when it was the HS2000 and cost $300, it would have made total sense. I would have climbed over mountains of Tauruses to get an XD, but nooooooo we have to import them with a reputable brand name and upcharge them to $450 for the base model."

markm
12-05-14, 07:31
It seems that most of the avid M14 users that I know also insist that an AR should and must have a piston.

They're just a weird bunch. Always seem to have a Don Quixote-esque vision of how incredibly powerful the bullets that leave their barrel are. Not entirely unique to the M14 crowd... pretty much any 7.62 auto loading rifle shooter.

Chameleox
12-05-14, 07:49
I think the key is overrated doesn't need to mean 'bad'.

Spot on. Overrated means that the gun does not live up to its hype/reputation, or that it is "just as good as ..." in the eyes of the fanboys. The FiveseveN and the P90 come to mind with regards to the effectiveness of the round.

As much of a fan as I am of Glock, in many ways, they are also overrated.

FromMyColdDeadHand
12-05-14, 08:06
The M14 bit is spot on! The current Springfields border on Olympic Arms levels of performance. And yeah... most M14 fanboys do fill a moo moo out nicely. :sarcastic:

KAC and LMT ended the need for the M14 in sport and tac shooting. Unless you are going to sit in the head in your skivies and talk to it, you don't need an M14.

markm
12-05-14, 08:16
KAC and LMT ended the need for the M14 in sport and tac shooting. Unless you are going to sit in the head in your skivies and talk to it, you don't need an M14.

True. I think the M14ers got infatuated with the romantic idea of giving the gun a girl's name, etc.

(HOLY CRAP! I just looked at the article and the pic of the "typical M14 owner", and it is EXACTLY right. Wonder what his ARF username is.)

Ark1443
12-05-14, 09:24
Unless you are going to sit in the head in your skivies and talk to it, you don't need an M14.

7.62mm... full metal JACKET! THIS IS MY RI.... I'll stop there. :P

brickboy240
12-05-14, 09:50
The Luger is very well made and very accurate in my dealings. I have one and if you feed it what it likes...it is accurate and NOT a jam-o-matic. Bad choice to dog on. It was also a marvel of machining at the time, ushered in the 9mm round and gave us the first real workable military semi auto pistol.

The M-14 and M-1A...yes...over rated. There were and are much better 308 battle rifles. The G3, the FAL...etc.

Don't know if the Mosin is "over-rated" as one that came from the Mauser end of the milsurp collecting...we always thought the Mosin was not comparable to ANY Mauser. The Finnish versions are accurate but that action is in no way as good or better than 99% of the Mausers.

They also managed to piss on the SKS...which is stupid. Back when the SKS was 75 bucks and a case of Chinses surplus 7.62x39 was another 70 bucks...the SKS made total sense. Today...at 300-350 for a ratty Chinese SKS...not so much. Still....the SKS flat out works well in its original configuration where many other guns do not. Just because Tapco came along and offered crap to attach to the SKs does not mean it is crap...sorry!

As a former owner of an XD...it is not really "over-rated" but certainly not worth grabbing instead of a Glock, M&P or VP-9. It is an average pistol for the money...at best but I never hear anyone over-hyping these things...sorry.

The AK-47 is not over rated....for its time...it was a marvel. The thing simply worked in all conditions. Sure...it is not a match rifle but hello!...it was never meant to compete at Camp Perry. Several features of the AK got used in other assault rifle designs as time has gone on. For the environment and time in which it came out...yes...the AK was some sort of marvel when you look at its history and what every other army was carrying at the time.

One they should have put on their list is the M1903 Springfield. Yes...the 98 Mauser was a better design with its one piece firing pin and later Mausers and the M1917 Enfield had much better (and less fragile) sights. Everyone ooh and ahhs over the M1903 but honestly...my K98, Canadian No4 Enfield and Swedish Mausers will all equal or better the 100yd groups from my M1903.

Those Gun Nuts people don't really know beans...if you ask me.