PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone still prefer the fullsize Aimpoints??

samuse
12-04-14, 21:11
Does anyone still prefer the fullsize Aimpoints?

I went all T-1 2MOA from PROs and M4s's a couple of years ago and I thought I was crazy because I thought the optical clarity sucked. So I kept using 'em since they were light and slim.

I had to use my cousin's carbine this weekend. It was low light with an X-300 Ultra and an ML3 and it was MUCH better in low light than my 2MOA T-1.

48J
12-04-14, 21:36
Yes, I prefer the fullsized versions of the Aimpoint to the others. Based on your comments, it sounds that you found the fullsized to be preferable for light gathering and clarity, correct?

daddyusmaximus
12-04-14, 22:07
Never tried the little ones, but I love my M4 and M4s so I'll just stay with them. I can see if you are trying to build the lightest set-up possible for a small person, but I'm a good size dude so the weight of a gun never bothered me. As far as light gathering goes, I can't see much through ANY scope in the dark. I just need to pick up the dot... That's the cool thing about an Aimpoint or EOTech, both eyes open shooting for people who are right handed and left eye dominant.

nimdabew
12-04-14, 22:42
I go out of my way to find the M2/3 body series when I buy Aimpoints. I don't care for the smaller versions unless it is doing a specific duty. I will buy one, maybe, when I will buy my fun 9mm PDW. I will probably just stick my PRO on and see how it works.

Onyx Z
12-04-14, 22:47
I agree with the OP. The T1's are too small to me. My PRO is perect size IMO.

Benito
12-05-14, 01:29
I like them both. Have an M4s and a T-1 Micro. They both have their pro's and con's, but are overall solid sights.

MBtech
12-05-14, 06:01
These guys sure seem to have good luck with full size models

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4Wkz58rZOw

looking into one of these myself.

LoveAR
12-05-14, 06:43
These guys sure seem to have good luck with full size models

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4Wkz58rZOw

looking into one of these myself.

What rifle is that?

MBtech
12-05-14, 06:54
What rifle is that?

Not sure to be honest, but those guys can run a bolt gun like nobody's biz.
I'm considering one for an AR.

Looks like one of the Hunter series is what they were using

http://swfa.com/Aimpoint-1x-34mm-Hunter-Sight-P46646.aspx

markm
12-05-14, 07:01
Interesting. Never tried a T1 in low light. I run the C3 full sized Aimpoint for my defense gun... so yeah... I'm ok with the bigger sight.

The only minor complaint I have with the full sized C3 is that there's a lot of knob and battery compartment in your sight picture compared to T1 or an Eotech.

samuse
12-05-14, 08:09
They are bulkier and have more of a 'blind spot' than the Micros.

I've always put mine at the very front of the receiver in a lower 1/3 mount and with both eyes open, I've never felt like I needed to peek around the optic to see what was going on.

markm
12-05-14, 08:13
Yeah... it's by no means a deal breaker... just a minor thing I noticed. The C3 is still my go to.

militarymoron
12-05-14, 08:34
i like the micros because of their compactness, however the dot is a bit easier to find on the full size/bigger tube when i'm shooting from weird positions and can't get a proper cheek weld. also once in a while i mount a pvs-14 behind the sight, and the full size one gives me more field of view through the pvs-14, whereas the micro tube is too small. i have both and like them for different things.

Hmac
12-05-14, 09:47
I've had a T-1 on one of my SBRs for a few years. Never particularly cared for it. I am otherwise about 50-50 Eotech EXPS's and Aimpoint PROs. Definitely prefer the full size RDS. I don't hate the T-1 such that I'd be inclined to dump it, but especially given the cost, I'd be unlikely to ever buy another micro.

Doc Safari
12-05-14, 11:35
I had a brief but intense love affair with the T1 and H1. Next time I buy optics I plan to go for a 1-4 ACOG or something similar.

MBtech
12-05-14, 12:05
A lot of low to med power magnification optics out there offer 1x with red dot style use for cqb and some magnification to go along with if you want it/need it, hard to overlook those.

equilibrium
12-05-14, 17:08
Definitely the full-size models. My M2 is still going strong even considering that it has taken a lot of abuse(the exterior shows). The glass is still exceptionally clear and the outer casing is very robust.

SkiDevil
12-06-14, 04:03
What rifle is that?

Steyr Mannlicher
http://www.steyrarms.com/products/hunting-rifles/new-sm-12/

Pricey, but well made rifles.

P.S. I prefer the larger M2/ M3 Aimpoints too. I use the micro for a back-up sight.

britishtq
12-06-14, 05:19
I'm in the market for a t1 micro if any of you lot feel like off loading one.

Slab
12-09-14, 17:07
I have a "C" model and T1, and although I love the compactness and light weight of the T1, I still shoot the full size faster... Although the T1 is a 2 MOA, my groups are no better with it, thought they would be... Amazing how accurate that 4MOA dot can be if you are familiar with it...

atomic41
12-09-14, 17:30
Definitely the full-size models. My M2 is still going strong even considering that it has taken a lot of abuse(the exterior shows). The glass is still exceptionally clear and the outer casing is very robust.

Same here, my M2 is beat up hardcore on the exterior but works awesome. I too prefer the bigger ones, thought I was the only one left since the micros are everywhere you look now. I use both eyes open but the micros just make me feel like I'm not seeing the target as well even though most of the time the left eye is seeing it...it just doesn't feel right.

Wolfpack45
01-06-15, 15:39
I have the t1 on all my aimpoint equipped rifles right now, however, should the need arise for another, I will just pick up a Pro or a 2moa M3. I love the light weight of the t1, but the full size really isn't that heavy to begin with and is quicker than the t1 to me.

SOWT
01-07-15, 10:30
I'll probably switch when (if) my full-sized optics take a dump, otherwise I'll spend my money elsewhere.

sinlessorrow
01-07-15, 12:08
I prefer the full size ones for the AA battery usage.

markm
01-07-15, 12:21
I prefer the full size ones for the AA battery usage.

I'll never get you AA battery guys. ;)

Titan74
01-07-15, 12:41
I'll never get you AA battery guys. ;)

CompM4 can take anything from 1.2V rechargeable batteries to 3.7V lithiums. The possibility to use the big lithiums can be very useful feature if you have to use the sight in extreme cold temperatures.

sinlessorrow
01-07-15, 12:54
CompM4 can take anything from 1.2V rechargeable batteries to 3.7V lithiums. The possibility to use the big lithiums can be very useful feature if you have to use the sight in extreme cold temperatures.

Not to mention AA batteries are plentiful everywhere.

markm
01-07-15, 13:10
Not to mention AA batteries are plentiful everywhere.

But for an Aimpoint, you're not going to need a huge stream of batteries. And in any kind of crisis, all batteries will become hoard material.

nova3930
01-07-15, 13:36
Granted I don't have a lot of comparison points but I like the PRO on my 14.5". I think it would probably be too big for a rifle any smaller than that though. When I get around to building my 11.5" I think I'm going to pick up one of those cheap Primary Arms red dots to try on it and make sure I like the config before I drop $500+ on an Aimpoint.

paperchasin
01-07-15, 13:43
Started with a Comp M2, then M4, now T1... Have never looked back.

m4fun
01-07-15, 13:47
I like them both - T1 on a fwd mount of an AK/M1 Carbine like a scout rifle setup, but love a full size(CompM4ish) on a AR. For more precision I do all sorts of voodoo to get around my astigmatism (larger tube, anti-reflector installed, etc). That said - the TR24G1-4 with a nice green triangle and pretty clear at 1x...

BuzzinSATX
01-07-15, 15:50
I have the PRO, but I've shot a friends H1 a fair bit. While I do like the size/weight, I think the best value for my limited dollars continues to be the PRO. When I hit the Powerball, I'll probably start buying the T1's... Never tried the M series optics...

Take Care,

Buzz

RedXd
01-08-15, 00:19
I like the full size as mentioned previously (M4 here), but the QRP's rib spreader knob is getting a tad bit old now. And I'm second guessing my recent desire to mout a magnifier due to top heavy weight, and poor mounting options.

bighawk
01-08-15, 04:28
Id rather have all T1's due to size but I still have a comp ML2 thats like 5-6 years old and still rockin so I cant complain

Distinguished Rick
01-08-15, 06:38
I run M4S on mine. I never liked the look of the short ones on a M4.

nimdabew
01-08-15, 23:16
FWIW, I bought an M2 and compared it side by side to my PRO. The M2 dot is circular, the PRO is more comma shaped due to astigmatism. All of the micro's all look like giant blobs. The M3 4MOA dot looks like a blob too. I am going to sell the PRO soon and buy another M2.

Kissel
01-11-15, 20:07
ML2/ML3 are geat RDS if you don't mind the slight weight increase over the micros. I use them and like them.

bighawk
01-11-15, 20:26
I just spent the weekend shooting with my ML2 and micro and have now decided I like the bigger ones a bit more. I'm thinking about putting the micro on my ak which I don't shoot as much and getting another full size for the gun I use primarily for classes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

01-12-15, 21:16
I like my M4S's. When I hear people bitch about weight, I just figure they are a fat body that has more important things to do rather than stay in shape. Does that mean someone can prefer, say, a T-1 over an M4S, without using weight/size as an objection? No doubt. But the vast majority of complaints are from out of shape keyboard commandos that really couldn't articulate their grievances.