PDA

View Full Version : Remington Arms Issues Recall

CLHC
12-05-14, 21:00
Here's what I came across this evening in the news:

MSN Money (http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/massive-785-million-recall-for-popular-us-gun/ar-BBgoPPI)

NBC Business News (http://www.nbcnews.com/business/business-news/remington-700-massive-fix-countrys-most-popular-gun-n262721)

MountainRaven
12-05-14, 21:04
Old news. Maybe not covered by a thread on this forum. But they issued the recall in April or May, IIRC.

TehLlama
12-05-14, 21:10
This one appears to be more expansive.

MountainRaven
12-05-14, 21:20
Oh.

Shit.

Hope that Rich, Gus, and Gus's mother find peace and justice in this. I think I might have a shot of Roughstock to celebrate, tonight.

platoonDaddy
12-06-14, 06:23
The way I read the NBC article of yesterday, the new settlement will cover all 700 triggers.

Straight Shooter
12-06-14, 06:47
Don't they also have...right now..a recall on some shotguns, I THINK 870's, that are slam firing as the action is closed? They are currently about a mile down the road from me here in AL, and from the types of people they've hired that I KNOW of, and the pay scale they are paying people, I wouldn't buy a new one if it was 75% off.

platoonDaddy
12-06-14, 07:00
Don't they also have...right now..a recall on some shotguns, I THINK 870's, that are slam firing as the action is closed? They are currently about a mile down the road from me here in AL, and from the types of people they've hired that I KNOW of, and the pay scale they are paying people, I wouldn't buy a new one if it was 75% off.

887'S manufactured after Dec 2013 (very small window) has the slamfire issue.

rjacobs
12-06-14, 11:05
So this sounds like if I replaced Rem 700 triggers with Timney's that they MAY send me a check for the cost of my Timney triggers?

Thats how the news article reads, obviously havent read a final settlement.

Moose-Knuckle
12-06-14, 17:20
I'm sorry, but after watching the father's interviews I fail to see how Remington is responsible for them not knowing where their child was in relationship to the rifle in question or how Remington is responsible for the direction in which the mother had her rifle's muzzle pointed in.

Firearms are merely inanimate objects, simple machines, and like all things manmade are susceptible to failure. This is why Col. Cooper’s Four Rules are so important. Safeties are not some mythical “life vest”.

I surmise that the vast majority if not all of the unintended and tragic deaths that are being cited by this father and the lawsuit were preventable had muzzle discipline been exercised. Watching the video the mother had a loaded bolt-action rifle pointed straight out from her side in the direction of a horse trailer. This is a no go. Why would anyone point a rifle in the direction of a horse trailer that could have livestock inside it? The muzzle should have been pointed at the ground or at the least the sky. I grew up in a rural area surrounded by ranches and farms. Shooting .22’s my mother always warned me that the round can travel a long way so be sure of my background. It’s not ethical to be having an AD or ND in the direction of stock animal’s much less human habitations.