PDA

View Full Version : What does everyone think of the 5.11 tactical series?

xdfan
06-26-08, 16:56
I work at Sharp Shooting Indoor Range and Gun Shop in Spokane, WA and we carry 5.11 stuff. I just started wearing it and I'm impressed so far. I was just wondering what everyone else thought of it.

LOKNLOD
06-26-08, 17:05
Lots of stuff falls under the 5.11 label - clothing, gear, etc.

I've got a pair of the standard pants, and a pair of the Taclite Pro pants. I like them both. I haven't had them long enough or used them hard enough to speak of the quality or durability. They're both confortable and have a fairly usable layout.

I also have couple pair of the Covert Khaki's, and they're alright too. To be honest most of the extra pockets are pretty useless, but I do like that they're a little heavier weight construction than most other "Dockers" type pants I've worn. Anything lighter than good ol' denim feels like pajama pants to me.

No clue about their other various gear. I think a lot of it is just relabeled stuff from other people.

Dave L.
06-26-08, 18:10
I get them Issued, I would never buy them with my own money...
2 bits of advice:

1, Don't walk around 10.22 (top to bottom).
2, The vests are gay and make you stand out "Hey everyone, look at me, I have a CCW" (sorry if I hurt anyones feelings).

nksmfamjp
06-26-08, 19:27
I like the clothes, but you have to have a pretty athletic build for Royal Robins clothes to fit right. At my current build they don't fit right.

Master_of_Sparks
06-26-08, 19:38
Sorry, but I usually laugh when I see guys wearing 5.11 either off duty, or as a civillian. Nothing screams "I want to be an operator" more than "off duty" cop clothing. Its kinda like the guys walking around with the waistband of their pants around their knees. They seem to be the only ones that see the point.

exitinyourhead
06-26-08, 19:39
I have their large range bag and it's really really nice. Nicer than I though 100 bucks would get me.

xdfan
06-26-08, 21:10
Yeah, the operator stuff does scream tool, but I mostly wear the pants, shorts and shirts that they put out. The vests and other operator clothing are not neccesary for a civilian and I do agree that anyone who wears them is just looking for attention. Yet, I find their shirts to be very comfortable and durable.

irish_11
06-26-08, 21:25
I cant say much about the 5.11 series myself I have limited experience with their stuff, but from what Ive had a chance to play with I though it was good. Really I jut wanted to post cause I was glad to see someone from Spokane on here. I grew up over there, then moved to Seattle.

R1pper
06-26-08, 22:01
I have a pair of the regular pants in coyote that I wear on certian occasions, and I have one of the covert casual shirts that I wear whether or not I am carrying because those shirts are just the style of shirt that I normally wear. If you wear it day in and day out and have no real reason to wear it yeah your a knob, but for the most part the covert stuff gives you a few more helpful pockets or what have you that a regular pair of jeans wont.

Besides the only ones who really are going to know if your a 5.11 tactifool are other people who are exposed to these items. John or Jane Q Shithead are none the wiser!

I wear the Tac lite pants at work, and they are leaps and bounds above the regular one as far as durability. But I have found both to be quite warm in the summer.

-DM-

LOKNLOD
06-26-08, 23:38
I wear the Tac lite pants at work, and they are leaps and bounds above the regular one as far as durability. But I have found both to be quite warm in the summer.

Really? I didn't think either has been that bad, although it's only up to the mid-90s here so far. Of course I don't wear shorts. Ever. So maybe my frame of reference is skewed ;) My only real complaint of the Taclites over the regulars is the more plasticy noise they make. When they were new it sounded like I was wearing damn windpants. Better now after a few washes.

ST911
06-27-08, 00:02
I work at Sharp Shooting Indoor Range and Gun Shop in Spokane, WA and we carry 5.11 stuff. I just started wearing it and I'm impressed so far. I was just wondering what everyone else thought of it.

5.11 is like Armor Holdings. They have their hand in a little of everything to allow for one-stop shopping. Smart marketing.

Unfortunately, they've...economized...a lot of stuff and made it spectacularly marginal. Folks often buy for form over function, so they won't know the difference. Some stuff is better than others.

RyanB
06-27-08, 01:11
They made a mistake in not listening enough to Burton and Bailey when they came out with their covert pants. Everything they make has to be "for operators" or some shit, so it ends up with dozens of pockets and stuff that stands out a mile away.

A lot of their other stuff is marginal. I do have one of their soft cases though, and it is fine. But they focus too much on modularity and not enough on sleek, lightweight designs.

I wear mostly Nordstrom type stuff, and I find it perfectly adequate. Plus chicks dig it. I don't want to look like I just rolled out of a gun store (although that is a nice shop you work at).

Between Filson and Nordstrom a guy could find a better wardrobe.

whiskey_moodz
06-27-08, 09:11
http://www.511tactical.com/511Images/WebImages/Products/2006Update/large/52101_falcon_smoke_lg.jpg

Actually I just bought a pair of the Falcons because I need a new pair of shooting / sun glasses as I bent the shit err crap out of my normal glasses. Now mind you I usually just buy cheap 2 for $20 glasses at the mall but I figure I was going to spring a little for a new pair of sunglasses and I tell you they are well worth it. I am only mad that I was on www.lapolicegear.com and found out that I could have gotten a knife for free. for the same price. I know what my dad is getting for father's day.

Plus I went back and I bought a pair of TDU for an action match last month they held up well. Went back wanting a new gun belt. Ended up getting the belt for free with the purchase of covert pants $39.99. To me that is a great deal...:D

Spurholder
06-27-08, 09:13
I wear mostly Nordstrom type stuff, and I find it perfectly adequate. Plus chicks dig it. I don't want to look like I just rolled out of a gun store (although that is a nice shop you work at).

Between Filson and Nordstrom a guy could find a better wardrobe.

Amen. I usually buy Polo for the same reason. The shorts have also lasted longer than my 5.11's, and don't scream "hey, this guy's carrying."

Dave L.
06-28-08, 13:33
I usually end up ripping the crotch out of every pair of pants I own, especially when I'm training.
I wish someone would make a durable pair of pants with an elastic F$$$ing crotch. Or at the very least, make a pair where the crotch doesn't come together 8 inches above my knees.

This may seem funny to some but Abercrombie and Fitch cargo pants are very durable. They are thick though.

ST911
06-28-08, 14:46
I usually end up ripping the crotch out of every pair of pants I own, especially when I'm training.
I wish someone would make a durable pair of pants with an elastic F$$$ing crotch.

The 5.11 class A and B uniform pants are terrible about that. So bad, that our tailor reinforces the crotch seams before they leave the shop. 5.11 has been aware of the frequency of the problem, but does nothing.

Also seen in the standard tactical pant line. I suspect it's more common to some subs than others, as it seems to occur in batches.

Not seen in the Woolrich.

Failure2Stop
06-28-08, 14:56
I find the pant sizes to be hit and miss. I bought a pair before they became really popular, and they didn't fit quite right (I wear 32-34 for comfortable concealed carry, the 5.11 were short in the legs and tight in the waist, even with the maternity elastic).

I was then given a pair for work (nothing HSLD) and they were ok in the same size. Ruggedness is notably absent.

I do like the long sleeved shirts though.

Voodoochild
06-28-08, 18:36
I wish someone would make a durable pair of pants with an elastic F$$$ing crotch. Or at the very least, make a pair where the crotch doesn't come together 8 inches above my knees.

This may seem funny to some but Abercrombie and Fitch cargo pants are very durable. They are thick though.

I will let you slide on this one Dave..

Bulldog1967
06-28-08, 18:53
I prefer the Woolrich Elite stuff myself.

uspopo
06-28-08, 20:21
I wear the standard tactical pants to the range and whenever I have training and have not had any issues with them. Just ordered a pair of their covert khakis and SS shirt for casual business attire. No experience with their nylon gear, glasses or gloves. As far as their footwear goes I like their ATAC 6 for casual wear and have not it put them thru any type of training abuse.

Jerm
06-28-08, 23:09
i like my "i am the light..." shirt from SF(should have another on the way).:D ...

been trying to find info on their knives for months now(the First Responder specifically),yet to find anyone who owns one.

S-1
06-29-08, 02:21
I don't like 5.11 gear. Nothing screams the word "TOOL" in my head more than when I see a guy wearing 5.11 crap from head to toe.

ST911
06-29-08, 02:34
Nothing screams the word "TOOL" in my head more than when I see a guy wearing 5.11 crap from head to toe.

I have a colleague so afflicted. Literally, head to toe in 5.11. Not a "tool", as much as a sucker for slick marketing. :D

Eric
06-30-08, 09:28
The best thing about the 5.11 pants, is that I get them issued. I won't spend my money on them, as there are better choices available at the same price, or less. FNG's drool over anything 5.11 it seems. :rolleyes:

ZDL
06-30-08, 13:06
Interesting read. I have 1 polo shirt from 5.11 that I was given for xmas. Outside the "pen" pocket on the sleeve I don't notice anything that screams operator. Seems to be a nice comfortable durable shirt.

I don't have experience with anything else in the line.

PRGGodfather
06-30-08, 14:29
Just about everyone wears cargo pants these days, so it's not quite the tell that some would make it out to be. For most cops the standard issue haircut and mustache are usually the giveaway. In the old days, the white guy with the short haircut, stache, jeans and white tennis shoes was the cop, long before "tacticool" was coined.

Most of the people who wear 5.11 stuff aren't operators, to be sure. Some just like guns, and IMHO, that's cool with me. Just like the Internet commandos and chairborne rangers.

Wear what is comfortable and has some utility, for either carrying or concealing your sidearm. Many of us, including me, prefer jeans and the SIGTAC jackets because everyone thinks they are Carhartt jackets. The fleece 5.11 jackets with the zip off sleeves aren't much of a tell, either. No matter what I'm wearing, you can bet I am packing, even if I'm in shorts and a Hawaiian shirt. Haven't figured out where to put it when I'm swimming at the beach, but when I do, I will let you know.

The general public just isn't that observant. There are too many bulges today -- with cell phones and IPods.

The sheepdogs look for velcro and other activation systems, including the fanny packs that some people still use. Some of us even assume everyone has a gun all the time, and look for those who probably are carrying.

IMHO, if more people carried (or were allowed to carry), the crime rate would plummet. I usually consider the folks wearing 5.11 gear as "friendlies," since I check out the FUBU wear a lot more closely.

The elitist crap in gunownership works against us. If you like it, great. If you don't, wear something else.

Renegade
06-30-08, 14:31
If it doesn't say "Royal Robbins" you are a wannabe.

R.D.
06-30-08, 14:39
The 5.11 class A and B uniform pants are terrible about that. So bad, that our tailor reinforces the crotch seams before they leave the shop. 5.11 has been aware of the frequency of the problem, but does nothing.

Also seen in the standard tactical pant line. I suspect it's more common to some subs than others, as it seems to occur in batches.

Not seen in the Woolrich.

I ripped the crotch out of a pair of Woolrich elite series pants. They have held up way better than the 5-11 pants though.

PRGGodfather
06-30-08, 14:48
The Woolrich line is pretty good stuff.

Stay away from the 5.11 uniforms. The guys at Modesto P.D. selected that gear, since 5.11 is based there. They are NOT happy with the fit, finish or durability.

The 5.11 luggage is pretty good for the price.

LDM
06-30-08, 17:33
I think the average sheepeople doesn't know 511 from any other cargo pant. Anyone who really looks will notice it is better made than most. I personally think they are great outdoor pants.
In my work (not public service/law enforcement) it is not unusual for me to for traipsing through the woods and jumping barbed wire fences in something more than a single bound. The pants are good for that. Just have to wrap the cuffs to keep the ticks out.
The shirts are well constructed but maybe a bit feature-rich for my taste. But still a good field shirt.
I think the key thing is: does it go with the environment, blend in, and not draw attention. 511's walking around Downtown Main & Broad kinda stick out with the all the suits. In a outdoorsy or casual setting, they are within the norm and blend right in.
511 has a lot of new merchandise that is public sector/law enforcement gear. Can't speak to those items.

Stay safe.

BushmasterSOH
07-05-08, 02:13
I personally do not have any of their clothing, but I also have not heard anything bad about the stuff from co-workers.

I personally have the Rush24 backpack for carrying my duty gear, the VTAC 36" gun case, and the TAC-AK gloves. I like the backback as it has plenty of room and divided pockets for gear. The VTAC case is much nicer than the Blackhawk one I had previous had. It is very well padded and will hold my tactical vest loaded with mags in the front pocket. The gloves are nice as they were almost instantly broke in. I can still feel things with my fingers, shoot my rifle, and get the added protection with the kevlar.

Federale
07-05-08, 10:39
These were better pants when they were Royal Robbins and they only came in khaki.....

I have lots of those pants and they've held up well (and for years, and through training). When they became 5.11s and then became a complete tactical line, then I think they've suffered in quality a little bit.

Aside from the pants and shorts, I don't have a lot of use for the rest of the 5.11 catalog. I do have a couple of their shirts that are low key enough that I find them useful to wear when flying. I did pick up a pair of their boots on a whim and they're very lightweight and have held up surprisingly well.

ST911
07-05-08, 11:00
These were better pants when they were Royal Robbins and they only came in khaki.....

Yup. I remember a time when they were almost exclusively seen on feds, or those consorting with them.

I did pick up a pair of their boots on a whim and they're very lightweight and have held up surprisingly well.

Agreed. I've been issued a couple pairs of the 5.11 boots, and I was surprised at how comfortable they are. One pair wore quickly, the other has hung on a lot longer than they should have. A result of the subcontractor of origin, no doubt.

IroquoisSnakePlissken
09-21-08, 15:42
I have the Field Ops watch, and it will not die.

The compass is so-so at best, but the watch will most assuredly take a whippin'.

JSantoro
09-21-08, 18:27
I don't like 5.11 gear. Nothing screams the word "TOOL" in my head more than when I see a guy wearing 5.11 crap from head to toe.

Agreed, especially since you can get stuff of equal expense/better durability if you shop ar REI or a similar outdoors outfitter. Kuhl, in particular, makes GREAT pants.

I own 5.11 stuff (we get a great discount), but the polo shirts are the only pieces I truly like, with the exception of the Multi-Flexx pants.

http://www.actiongear.com/cgi-bin/tame.exe/agcatalog/level4s.tam?xax=21634&M5COPY.ctx=30166&M5.ctx=3626&M2_DESC.ctx=BDU%2FUniforms&level3.ctx=results.tam&query.ctx=5.11%20pants&backto=%2Fagcatalog%2Fresults.tam

So far as I know, Brigade Quartermasters is the only vendor that carries them, and the color selection is limited, but the Spandex they weave into the canvas makes for a great deal of comfort for a heavy canvas trouser. If the pockets weren't so Mall Ninja, I'd shell out for a couple more pair.

akviper
09-22-08, 05:30
From an old fart, it's pretty amusing to see the 5.11 pant transition from worn by hippy dippy rock climbers and long haired wildland forest fire fighters to ultra cool tacticops.

Back in the dark ages I attended the FBI National Academy the first year they required a daily "uniform" which consisted of a red polo shirt and navy blue Dicky pants. I refused to buy the Dickys and wore the Royal Robbins 5.11 pants that our tactical team stole from our fire department. By the way they were available in navy blue too. The guys from the old FBI SOAR section thought the rock climber pants were pretty cool and a few years later the 5.11 pants were invented by the FBI and appeared as standard issue. Of course everybody had to use what the FBI used, right?

Royal Robbins called them 5.11 from the difficulty scale used by rock climbers back in the 1970s and 80s. The moral of the story is that a bunch of cop types are trying to look cool like the old rock climbers. Maybe the guy you see in the mall is a wannabe gnarly rock climber instead of a wannabe killer commando.

markm
09-22-08, 08:32
I like the Taclite pros. I have one pair and they're decent for my warm climate. The TDUs are much better that regular old BDUs if they fit you right.

I don't wear the Royal Robbins/Tactical pants because the canvas just fades too easily and the material frays at the bottom of the pants.

I've never seen a 5.11 vest in public... but I wouldn't get all assed up and snooty about it if I did. I'd rather see that than some retard with an OBAMA shirt.. dig? I don't get people who pat themselves on the back for spotting a guy who's carrying concealed? Do you want a scooby snack or some shit?

As for the crotch ripper... try some TAD GEAR force 10 pants!!! they're specifically cut to avoid this type of problem.

Avenger11
09-22-08, 09:38
I only have experience with two 5.11 products;

I own the 5.11 100% cotton T-shirts. I bought these in sand color to wear with my A2CU (the new ACU pattern flight suits). I think the design and fit of these t-shirts are the best I have ever worn. The quality of stitching was not perfect, some threads and seems unraveled. Overall, I would buy these again but would like to see tighter QC from their manufacturer.

I also purchased a pair of their HRT Tactical Desert boots. I wore these every day for 15 months before retiring them. The boots fit perfectly right out of the box. The comfort level was superb, and they held up until walking on the rocks in the FOB chewed up the soles so bad, they had no tread left. The worst thing about these boots were that the laces fell apart within 3 months of owning them.

As for all the "holier than thou" crap, I don't care if someone is wearing head to toe 5.11. Who cares? I can see where some of you are coming from, but honestly, there are plenty of odd choices in wardrobe out on the streets. I am with PRGodfather on this one, "The elitist crap in gunownership works against us. If you like it, great. If you don't, wear something else." I totally agree!

Dedpoet
09-22-08, 10:19
I just bought my first pair of 5.11 pants about 2 months ago, as I was about to attend a handgun class and thought the extra pockets would be nice to have. They were - the huge rear pockets are great for easily dumping magazines. I also travel semi-frequently for work and found them to be great pants for a long opverseas flight, as I can keep everything I need close at hand and not have to get in and out of my carry-on 63 times.

However, as I went to put the pants on Friday the front snap came apart in my hand. This is after maybe 4 washings and 6 wearings. The vendor, one of the big online operations, was great about it and they're going back in the mail today. I haven't decided yet if I want a refund or an exchange.

POF.Ops
09-25-08, 23:22

I'M A TOOL! I wear 5.11 Tactical pants with a (gasp!) WILDERNESS belt! Of course up here in granolaland everybody wears cargo pants so I really don't stand out. I like the 5.11 polo shirts and the short sleeve button down shirts with the snaps and velcro in all the right places (these really scream TOOL!). The 6" boots are nice too. Of course when the SHTF I'll be sure to be wearing my Hickey Freeman suit with Santoni shoes. You'll be able to spot me anywhere.

citizensoldier16
09-26-08, 22:43
If it doesn't say "Royal Robbins" you are a wannabe.

Really? All those good, thoughtful, well-written replies...and then I read that. :rolleyes:

Personally, I own two pairs of their BDU style pants in dark blue. I wear them when I'm on-duty as a paramedic. The "pockets inside the pockets" or whatever they call them work great to hold my trauma shears and a notepad. I also own one of their polos with the pen slots on the shoulder.

markm
09-27-08, 15:20
Yeah. Those are the TDUs. They hold up really well.

Fringe
09-27-08, 17:14
demigod,
Those TAD gear pants really that nice? They look pretty sweet and the crotch thing sounds comfortable.

SIGguy229
09-27-08, 19:13
I have a pair of the shorts that hold up real well, and will probably pick-up another pair or two. They are comfortable and allow me to carry everything I need when out with my boys, either at the soccer field or out hiking/camping.

I also have one of their soft rifle cases...

HighSpeedDreams
09-27-08, 20:38
Like Dave.L, I get the stuff issued. I am somewhat of a fan of the pants, but I think there could be a lot of improvements made. I also use the holster shirt (as x-ray glasses as it might be), and it does exactly what I need it to in very specific circumstances.

Kind of off topic, but.....has anyone purchased the Woolrich Algerian Field Jacket?

http://www.bowerstactical.com/store/images/4449.jpg

MX5
09-27-08, 20:58
Like akviper, I'm from the generation that remembers these as rock climbing pants. The strap on the right side was for your rock hammer. Mine were original navy blue Royal Robbins. I wear the khaki ones today because nobody pays any attention to them except people that think they can profile everything. Most people are sheep & don't have a clue. In my line of work they blend in well with all the other cargo pants out there, have velcro for easy access to the tools of my trade that fill the pockets - of which none have anything to do with guns. Oh yeah, the elastic on the waist helps too - If you have to ask, just wait a few more years & you'll understand, no matter how fit you are. The Woolrich line holds great promise if they can straighten their act out.

markm
09-28-08, 17:39
demigod,
Those TAD gear pants really that nice? They look pretty sweet and the crotch thing sounds comfortable.

I bought the Navy Blue Tads in Rip stop. Those are currently discounted to about $65. The are nice pants. Almost baggy. TDUs fit a little on the tight side for comparison.

I like the Tad force 10s, but I don't think I'd pay the full $100 price to get them in the other colors. The Tads are light and roomy. Very comfortable in warm weather.

threeheadeddog
09-30-08, 19:03
A full half of the pants that I own are 5.11 cargo type pants. I like the sturdy material, I like the 1911 magazine pocket, I like that the loops are not in the way of my holster, I like the little reinforced parts where my flashlight and knife clips are, and I like the price. I generally wear them with a haggar button up shirt(either open or buttoned but untucked). I would wear any similar pant with room that also helped me be comfortable while carrying. Also while I no longer live in the northwest where I was born I still tend to think in the same "it will keep the cactus off" way about pants and "keep toilet paper and a blanket in your car in case you break down 50miles from civilization" type mentality.

I am also the type of person who finds something he likes and buys mostly that. I have a ton of haggar shirts, a bunch of underarmor and I practically cried when I couldnt find silvertap jeans anymore. Weather I look "in style" or blend means little to me as long as I feel good about it and am comfortable. I fully relize that I will be the guy in 10 years who people look at and say "man he looks like he is still in 2002" which is when I graduated and since I dont follow mtv or go clubbin' I wont keep with the times.

I guess maby I should change so some guy ive never met doenst call me a tool.:rolleyes: Which is not at all different from being in school and kids calling someone a poser for wearing basketball shoes when they werent on the team. Blah.

markm
10-01-08, 08:42
Good points on the features, threeheadeddog.

You're just not going to get practical features that work for us gun guys on a pair of FAG ASS ambercombie and fitch pants.:eek:

lanceriley
10-04-08, 09:17
i practically wear the 5.11 tactical shorts everyday from khaki to coyote brown. I don't think anybody notices they're 5.11 . In our world of cargo pants nobody knows. they just think it's any other cargo pants... except a few of us who shoot regularly and know what a 5.11 is.

WallaS
10-04-08, 10:56
I like their shirts a lot. As I wear long sleeves every day to work the back opening really allows a cool breeze to enter and keep you cool. The hot weather ones are great in summer but a little lite for colder weather. The best thing is the giant hidden pocket, I use it the most as it has easier access then the regular pockets and is cavernous.

I only have one pair of shorts and don't really use them that much.

As for quality, like everything made in a third world country, it is hit and miss. I have had stitching on the buttons already come loose and one of the hangers at the back of the collar has already come loose.

All in all I really like them, but for pants I will never give up my Carhartts for work, way to many pockets in cargo pants and I end up carrying to many tools and spend too much time checking which pocket I put something in. For casual/range wear the pants seem to be good.

johnson601
10-09-08, 16:50
I have had good luck with 5.11. I have been issued 5.11 stuff for three years, for a while I wore the class B uniforms. The class B pants have held up well but I do not like the way they fit around the waist, for me the waist is just a little too thick. Other guys love the thick waist. As far as the crotch ripping out, I have yet to find pants under $100 that don't have that problem. I like the original pants so much that I wear them instead of the class B pants. I also like the boots but on every pair I have had the heel wears out rather quickly. I have worn several other brands and I guess there is good and bad for everything.

photosniper
10-12-08, 18:24
I'm another 511 user, though I've limited it to just the original pants and a pair of light weight gloves. I personally find the pants extremely comfortable, better then my Levi 501's and they wear very well.
As to looking tacticool, I find fat old guys trying to play soldier or SWATCOP more f'd up then a middle aged guy that wears 511 pants and a polo.

ArmatusCivis91
10-16-08, 12:34
I have the 5.11 TDU long sleeve. It's a petty cool shirt, moves well with you while you're wearing gear and active.

Armored Recon
10-17-08, 12:56
Two words: Mountain Khakis

Very Durable, Comfortable, and most important. . . manuverable.

Every rub point has been reenforced, i.e. crotch and knees, the rear of the pant cuff is also double layers

IMHO, there are the finest field pants money can buy!

Dennis
10-17-08, 18:29
It seems that current model 5.11 pants are too tight for ankle carry...

Dennis.

sff70
10-18-08, 08:40
I have several sets of their TDUs, which I wear as my daily uniform, and quite a few of their trousers.

I have been very pleased with them.

Bought a 511 vest. Gave it away. While useful, it's too much of a tell and it was more than I wanted to wear.

As noted by others in this thread, Joe Citizen has no idea what 511 is or what the wearer might have on them. Same goes for waist-pouches.

511 has a lot of good products, as well as some things that don't suit my needs.

Their products are obviously meeting the needs of a lot of people, given their HUGE success in the marketplace.

padwan
10-26-08, 13:08
I liked the quality of the original Royal Robbins marked pants.

The 511's I've seen in my area are heavier and not as comfortable.

I have three of the Robbins trousers and I have worn them regularly since '01. No stitches or zippers have given way yet. Amazing!

turan tactical
01-21-11, 08:17
I really don't know how it screams out but I have two pairs of taclite pants of 5.11 and since the day I am almost always wearing them. I'm really satisfied with the durability and the pants well organized (my opinion) pockets.
The other product is the 5.11 Tarani series Master's Karambit folding knife. Others may think Emersons will rock but I really love my knife except for the slower deployment than an Emerson.
If there were 5.11 products around here in Turkey I am honestly saying I would buy all my stuff from 5.11.
Regards,
TT

markm
01-21-11, 16:29
I finally killed some of the TDU pants. BY FAR the longest lasting pants I've ever owned.

One pair has the double ripstop coming off of the seat of the pants, and the other the pockets let go. The pocket material is somewhat wimpy.

But these pants lasted about 4 times as long as a pair of Propper BDUs for example. I just ordered two replacement pairs. I hope these come from as good'a sweatshop as my last few pairs.

jhurt
01-21-11, 18:45
We have the TDU pants/shirt issued to us. Everyone hates them. The fabric is very thick and tends to restrict movement. For summer time forget it. Way too hot to be wearing when it's 95 degrees out. The size on the label for mine said that it fits 32-36 inch waist. I wear a 32 and it was too small. The most uncomfortable pants I have ever worn. They actually gave me matching bruises on either side of my waist from the idiotic sliding beltline. I threw them in the garbage and spent my own money on a pair from Eotac. Most of the team has done the same, with either Eotac or some other label. I swear if I had to wear the 5.11 TDU pants one more time it would make me sterile.

As for the TDU shirt the fabric issues are the same. Too thick, too uncomfortable. Loads of pockets that are completely useless underneath armor and do nothing but add layer upon layer. It's like wearing a damn canvas seabag sewed into a shirt and pants. Most of us have found other shirts in the same color and wear those instead.

However many on the team like the regular 5.11 cargo pants because the waist is different and fabric not so thick. I don't have any so can't comment.

Roy
01-22-11, 03:29
I liked the Royal Robins line better. one pair of RR's has outlasted several pair of 511's

I have 511's that I wear when working at the Academy or workin the range. They seem to be cut a little narrow in the legs for me but i have not had a problem with the waist line yet

I wear TDU's everyday (Black for patrol Dark BLUE for Riot team) at work sizing is off. i wear a 32" pant and their 32's are baggy on me. I have had issues with the belt strechy things tearing my hips up under my gunbelt and on one pair first time i wore them the strechy thing gave out and I about dumped my BUG from my front pocket onto the floor. I do like the Tac Lite shirts for summer time and the pants have been much more durable than our old poly stuff.

This stuff does seem to fade quickly. If i dont wash tops and bottoms together there is a distinct difference between the two. I dont like the extra pockets on my chest either.

I do like their polos and I do wear their regular buttondowns sometimes.

They have some great ideas but seem to miss just a little bit with the execution.

oh and there under armor stuff does not compare to real UNDER ARMOR too many seams

Im a huge fan of their range bag tho

markm
01-22-11, 21:31
We have the TDU pants/shirt issued to us. Everyone hates them. The fabric is very thick and tends to restrict movement. For summer time forget it. Way too hot to be wearing when it's 95 degrees out.

That's true. The material on the TDUs is indestructable, but you give up some comfort for sure.

TehLlama
01-23-11, 00:34
I'm one of the d-bags who will, on occasion, go wearing 10.22 because I've accumulated so much of it very very cheaply from LAPG.

The VTAC/5.11 nylon is actually pretty good. Not the lightest, or most cleverly designed, but very hard to beat for some of the prices, and plenty durable for any item that will spend most of its time in a closet.

The covert khakis and covert casual shirts are very comfortable, though the sizing is skewed. MSRP is way over what they're worth, but on the odd occasions where so much free stuff is thrown in, these can be nice (and since I was stuck in DC with one set of clothing for 5 months) and adequate for everyday use.

There is better stuff. There is cheaper stuff. There is better stuff that is cheaper sometimes, but there are times that this is the cheapest usable stuff.

rob_s
01-23-11, 05:52
Put me in the camp that can't stand their current product line, but still has some Royal Robbins branded pants that have held up for a long time.

IMHO the 5.11 line is too confusing, too flimsy, weird fitting, and just not worth even their cheap prices. They are the stuff of airsofters, public range poseurs, and departments on tight budgets that don't care what their officers say about the uniforms they are forced to wear.

Interesting side note, the yellow visor was borne out of the proliferation of Royal Robbins pants at local IDPA matches.

VooDoo6Actual
01-23-11, 10:23
Don't drink that KOOLAID either.

imo, far better made products out there that perform far superior.

I'm proud to say I own not one article of their gear.
It screams LEA/LEO all over it.

markm
01-23-11, 12:22
imo, far better made products out there that perform far superior.

Man... I haven't found any pants that hold up for over 2 years like the TDUs. Fit is body type specific of course... and if you like a baggy fit, the TDUs will squeeze your nuts :p

But force 10s, for example are way too baggy for me.

It screams LEA/LEO all over it.

People always ask me if I'm a cop at the range. I'm not sure why.... I'm not that bad of a shot! :p But I don't wear 5.11 stuff when I'm shooting so it's not the clothes. :confused:

CyberM4
01-23-11, 14:11
I bought a pair of 511 shorts that US Cav had on sale. Works well for me. But I have boght a pair of EOTAC shorts. As for pants none from 511. I like the EOTAC I bought.

Freelance
01-23-11, 18:29
I started wearing 5'11 while doing Search and Rescue when I was a pup. Never really stopped, I use them daily for work as a IT guy now, pockets are nice for cables and tools for networking. Last about 10 times as long as my other pants, I crawl around on my knees while networking cables so I have actually used the soft knee pads at times for work and tactical training. They just look like cargo's to most people, and that is standard attire for my type of IT.

I have been very impressed with their stuff personally, I use their Saber jacket and 42 "Double Rifle cases for range days, and I also like their boots for warm weather stuff. I have also found their web gear to be top notch, I use several of the pistol and rifle web gear pieces on my various different vest and load outs. I have yet to use a product of theirs that did not live up to my expectations.

juan69
01-24-11, 06:33
from where i am only 5.11 and blackhawk are available, i just noticed how some think that when you wear 5.11 you are an airsofter, a poser, etc etc. so if i wear lets say an EOTAC, im cool? and you would not look down on me?

jhurt
01-24-11, 10:08
from where i am only 5.11 and blackhawk are available, i just noticed how some think that when you wear 5.11 you are an airsofter, a poser, etc etc. so if i wear lets say an EOTAC, im cool? and you would not look down on me?

You could wear pink frilly spandex pants and I wouldn't look down on you...if I knew you and knew I could trust you. In professional circles where many here live and work the clothes don't make the man. Due to the VERY aggressive advertising of 5.11 they are popular with all sorts of people, including those that carry real guns for a living and those that don't. I'm fortunate enough to have a measure of autonomy in what I wear so long as it reasonably matches in color with the issued uniform. Because of this I went looking for something more comfortable and found it. I have nothing against 5.11 personally. It's just very uncomfortable to wear for me.

Look at the issue from another angle. I don't know if you like motorcycles but I enjoy riding (even though I sold my last bike a few months ago and haven't picked up a new one yet). When I see someone riding a brand new $25,000 harley and they are wearing H-D clothing from head to toe including a Harley-Davidson bandana tied around their head I have a hard time taking them seriously. I work with a fellow like that. His bike was 2 years old and had 1,100 miles. Again...clothes don't make you a motorcyclist. Those sorts enjoy the image, enjoy owning a motorcycle and spending time polishing it and buying bits of chrome for it. But most never rode to Vegas in June like I did. It's just too hot for them in that desert sun.

rob_s
01-24-11, 10:25
Good post jhurt. And good explanation.

DocBach
01-24-11, 13:51
When I came home from Iraq on emergency leave, they made us wear civilian clothes. The only pants they had for sale at the Ali Al Saleem PX was 5.11 pants - being as I needed them to get home to see the birth of my daughter I bought a pair and was pleasantly surprised on how comfortable they were and how they had tons of pockets. I ended up getting like five pairs in different colors from LA Police Gear at $20 a pair - it was a good deal compared to how much stores at the mall wanted for jeans. Pretty much all of my pants in my wardrobe are now the $20 5.11 pants because my jeans have all worn out but my 5.11s are still going.

Don't care if people think I'm trying to look like an operator or an airsofter or whatever, I think they are nice looking, comfortable pants, have good features, and only cost $20.

GreenMtn675
01-24-11, 18:15
I second what Jhurt says.

Our issued class b's are 5.11. They have been great and they have taken a beating. Other than the occasional tear from abuse they fit great and are the most comfortable uniform I have worn yet. I also have two of their cargo pants for call outs and those have been good so far. My only complaint is they are a little baggy.

markm
01-24-11, 19:36
and they are wearing H-D clothing from head to toe including a Harley-Davidson bandana tied around their head I have a hard time taking them seriously.

I've seen guys like that show up to class. In the complete 5.11 catalog outfits.... even the boots. :D

5.11s marketing scams are a little jookie. I mean... out of the blue the Sheriff's Office for my County switched from Propper to 5.11 for their Chocolate uniform Class B pants and Tan shirts.... :confused:

Why do I feel like someone got a bribe for that decision?...

Don't care if people think I'm trying to look like an operator or an airsofter or whatever, I think they are nice looking, comfortable pants, have good features, and only cost $20.

Yeah... I wear them for durability, ease of care (no ironing) and the fact that they look like plane cargos. The other thing is that the TDU's hold color forever.... don't fade. The regular 5.11/Royal Robbins always faded too quickly and looked too old for casual office wear.

juan69
01-24-11, 19:45
You could wear pink frilly spandex pants and I wouldn't look down on you...if I knew you and knew I could trust you. In professional circles where many here live and work the clothes don't make the man. Due to the VERY aggressive advertising of 5.11 they are popular with all sorts of people, including those that carry real guns for a living and those that don't. I'm fortunate enough to have a measure of autonomy in what I wear so long as it reasonably matches in color with the issued uniform. Because of this I went looking for something more comfortable and found it. I have nothing against 5.11 personally. It's just very uncomfortable to wear for me.

Look at the issue from another angle. I don't know if you like motorcycles but I enjoy riding (even though I sold my last bike a few months ago and haven't picked up a new one yet). When I see someone riding a brand new $25,000 harley and they are wearing H-D clothing from head to toe including a Harley-Davidson bandana tied around their head I have a hard time taking them seriously. I work with a fellow like that. His bike was 2 years old and had 1,100 miles. Again...clothes don't make you a motorcyclist. Those sorts enjoy the image, enjoy owning a motorcycle and spending time polishing it and buying bits of chrome for it. But most never rode to Vegas in June like I did. It's just too hot for them in that desert sun.

thanks jhurt, i understand your point. theres plenty of like those in my country. for whatever reason they wear those, let them be. some people dont like the fit, me included, but some find them great and comfortable to wear. and for whatever purpose they use it, its for them to decide. im sure if other brands were available here, the shooting and LEO community including the airsofters would be using them on and off the field. just my centavos

Shane1
01-25-11, 11:06
My rule is 5.11 for work, anything but 5.11 for play. We issue the PDU's and all of our personell love them. Big big improvement over the old wool/poly-cotton crap that was standard for so long.

Ironbutt
01-26-11, 09:34
For duty & training we use the 5.11 TDU's, (OD for training, black for duty) & they're pretty rugged. Most wear the kind made with the ripstop material, but I've found the twill kind to be much more comfortable. Cooler in the Summer, too.

I like the original canvas 5.11's for casual wear & when they get stained or start wearing out, I use them for work around the house. The damn things last forever.

Quinn
01-26-11, 10:21
I have a backpack they put out (i think with eotach) that is of extremely good quality.

13MPG
01-26-11, 12:17
I have the large 5.11 range bag and it has been a great investment. It’s a bit overkill for a quick trip to the range but for a longer outing it’s perfect. All the pockets come in handy to keep everything separated. And it’s sturdy enough to handle all the weight when it’s loaded down.

I have two pair of the Royal Robbins pants that I bought back in 03 and these are by far the best pants I have ever owned. 8 years and going strong. I also have a few pairs of the rip stop TDU pants that I use for hunting and yard work. They have held up very well and other than the sizing be off I am happy with them.

I would have no issues about buying more of their stuff but I think that I am going to try out a few different brands the next time I have to buy some pants.

ST911
01-26-11, 15:06
I have two pair of the Royal Robbins pants that I bought back in 03 and these are by far the best pants I have ever owned. 8 years and going strong. I also have a few pairs of the rip stop TDU pants that I use for hunting and yard work. They have held up very well and other than the sizing be off I am happy with them.

I forget when 5.11 began with the RR design, but I do know that my earliest RR were far and away better in consistency, build quality, and durability than current 5.11 production.

markm
01-26-11, 18:14
I forget when 5.11 began with the RR design, but I do know that my earliest RR were far and away better in consistency, build quality, and durability than current 5.11 production.

That's always been the problem as 5.11 sources their products from different sweat shops. :rolleyes:

RyanB
01-27-11, 01:21
I stopped buying them when RR stopped making them.

markm
01-27-11, 21:11
I stopped buying them when RR stopped making them.

Why? RR was a queer leftist mountain climbing homo company wasn't it? (maybe I'm wrong, but that's what I've read... the original homo behind the line was an anti gun doucher extraordinaire.)

And the pants weren't that thrilling anyway. I still have some hanging somewhere in the house and have no reason to even want to put them on. :confused:

Atchcraft
01-28-11, 00:29
The Woolrich line is pretty good stuff.

Stay away from the 5.11 uniforms. The guys at Modesto P.D. selected that gear, since 5.11 is based there. They are NOT happy with the fit, finish or durability.

The 5.11 luggage is pretty good for the price.

I have a few of the original uniform products (prototypes) and they are great... still! Because of that I bought more, a few years later, and there was a notable difference. They have water soluable velcro and are complete garbage. It's pretty much stopped me from ever buying 5.11 again.

Atchcraft
01-28-11, 00:33
Why? RR was a queer leftist mountain climbing homo company wasn't it? (maybe I'm wrong, but that's what I've read... the original homo behind the line was an anti gun doucher extraordinaire.)

And the pants weren't that thrilling anyway. I still have some hanging somewhere in the house and have no reason to even want to put them on. :confused:

WOW! Don't sugar coat it, man! Thanks for the chuckle.

ST911
01-28-11, 10:45
I have a few of the original uniform products (prototypes) and they are great... still! Because of that I bought more, a few years later, and there was a notable difference. They have water soluable velcro and are complete garbage. It's pretty much stopped me from ever buying 5.11 again.

I've found a substantial difference between the earliest class A/B uniforms and those of today. The former were not without issue altogether, but were more consistent and satisfactory overall.

It was about the time they deleted the sap pockets and pocket zipper compartment, changed the pocket lining, and added the tunnel waist.

markm
01-30-11, 14:02
WOW! Don't sugar coat it, man! Thanks for the chuckle.

Yeah... I heard the turd who was behind the royal robbins 5.11 was appauled that gunners were using his pants for tactical applications.... again.. I might be wrong, but that's the story I read or heard.

Atchcraft
01-30-11, 22:01
I could actually see that. They make skirts too!

Heartland Hawk
02-01-11, 17:23
I have two pairs of the 5.11 TDU's. I got them free. When I first tried them on (the size is right) that elastic crap drove me nuts. I happened to stumble onto the review of them by Milspec Monkey. He said he cut the FRONT elastic straps, and left the rear ones intact. I tried this, and they were instantly 100 times more comfortable. The waistband expansion strap still works, there's just no pressure on the front anymore. I am glad that I found that little trick.

markm
02-02-11, 18:09
I'll have to check that out on one of my 10-7 pairs of TDUs. :)

desert
02-04-11, 00:57

Would avoid, if at all possible. Too stereotypical and high price. Considering where it is made. "Imported." They should take pride where there product is made. China? Asia? Dominican Republic? Mexico? Latin America?

Invest in yourself with quality made product. Hopefully made in USA if possible.

markm
02-04-11, 18:01
Invest in yourself with quality made product. Hopefully made in USA if possible.

TDUs have tripled (at least) the life of any other pant, US made or Not, that I've tried.

I don't give a FuX0r what smelly sweat shop they came out of. I'm tired of buying SHIT just so I can say it's made in America.

Atchcraft
02-05-11, 01:50
Really? It's not always avoidable these days, but I buy American with pride.

CLHC
03-26-11, 01:37
Anyone seen this video?

It's 5 dot 11 (http://www.youtube.com/user/511Tactical)

Kentucky Cop
03-26-11, 01:44
Anyone seen this video?

It's 5 dot 11 (http://www.youtube.com/user/511Tactical)

Great advertisement video. Any idea what kind of plate carrier that was. Pretty slick looking....

KC

Vash1023
03-26-11, 05:44
Great advertisement video. Any idea what kind of plate carrier that was. Pretty slick looking....

KC

crye's newest plate carrier im sure

NavyDavy55
03-26-11, 09:36
I wear 5.11 on duty (reserve deputy) and find them very comfortable and affortable.

I wear some of thier cargo pants off duty and when LA Police gear sells them for $19.99 a pair it's deal I can't pass. I have one pair of thier boots too, they're not so bad.

Avenger29
03-26-11, 18:23
I don't mind the pants and think they are OK, but I only buy them when they are on sale at LAPG for $20. No way they are worth MSRP (which I think is something like $50 a pair? Ridiculous, I'm not paying over $30 for a pair of pants, and over $20 is really pushing it).

It's like I've got a whole bunch of Wrangler jeans from WM. Sure, cheap and made overseas, but hell, many of my jeans are 4-5 years old and still going strong for $15 a pair.