PDA

View Full Version : My new M4 (pics!)

jdurr
06-26-08, 17:14
Hey all, I'm fairly new to this forum, but I love what I've seen so far! You all have such great information and great pics to look at.

I recently purchased a brand new Bushmaster Patrolman's M4A3 Carbine, and am in the process of adding some "goodies" to it. It's got the removable carry handle (flat-top), bayonet lug, and fixed front sights.

Stuff I already have:
- VLTOR single point sling attachment
- BlueForceGear single point sling
- CAA stock saddle with storage compartments
- cheap BSA reddot scope

Stuff I have in the mail:
- UTG quad-rails
- KZ vertical hand grip
- Daniel Defense light mount for my SureFire
- mag coupler
- 2 HK High Reliability magazines

Eventually I will get a better optic, but I seem to have run out of money! :D

Here are some pics:

Right out of the box:

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm53/emtjmd216/100_0442.jpg

VLTOR sling attachment:

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm53/emtjmd216/vltor.jpg

Let me know what ya'll think! And thanks for the great forum!! I look forward to becoming a major contributor.

Jay Cunningham
06-26-08, 21:31
Hi jdurr,

Congrats on the new carbine!

Just a quick bit of coaching:

From now on, be very conscious of your trigger discipline.
Your single point sling is looped around the wrong shoulder.

Please accept this coaching in the spirit it is offered; we want you here to learn and participate - we can work on your gear and your trigger discipline!

:cool:

ToddG
06-26-08, 22:02
And in that vein, I would like to recommend: this site (http://www.nrahq.org/education/training/find.asp) ... the best place for any gun owner to start.

R1pper
06-26-08, 22:07
Welcome to the board, you will find some truly talented and knowledgeable people here.

Another tip of advice. Think through carefully about what you are going to post. Remember its better to look like a fool than to open your mouth and prove it. And that is not a slam on you, cause I know I posted some stupid shit when I started out. Enjoy your rifle, and get used to being broke for now on out cause it really is a sickness. Also dont take anything any one says personal, it is just consructive criticism.

-DM-

jdurr
06-27-08, 01:36
Points noted. Thanks. Makes a seasoned shooter (me) feel kinda silly.

Why do you say my sling is on the wrong shoulder? I tried it on the opposite side and it feels awkward.

Jay Cunningham
06-27-08, 04:22
jdurr,

The idea is to allow for effortlessly switching shoulders (which you can do no matter what side the sling is attached to) and to allow the rifle to drop down and away from your pistol side on a transition to allow for an unemcumbered draw - have you noticed your sling wanting to swing back toward your sidearm in it's current config?

http://www.spectergear.com/mout_cs_trans_animation_1.gif

C4IGrant
06-27-08, 13:35
Couple thoughts for you. Since you own a BM AR's read this and check over your weapon: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=13532

Next avoid any China knockoff products (UTG, CAA, etc).

HK mags are a waste of money. Buy USGI mags, PMAG's or Lancer.

Single point slings suck. If you are going to run it, push the weapon to your left side on transitions so you do not do damage to sensitive parts of your body. ;)

The BSA optic is junk and it is WAY too high to be any good. Get it closer to your bore line. This means removing the A3 carry handle and mounting the optic onto the flattop.

Last, but certainly not least, KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER!

C4

jdurr
06-27-08, 13:52
Thanks for the replies. I decided to forgo the UTG quad rails and ordered some from KZ instead when I found out UTG was made in China. Are the KZ rails any good? I wanted the Daniel Defense quad rails, but don't have the $$ for them.

The BSA scope and the mount are temporary...I know they suck! The mount came off my other Ar-15...a Colt Sporter HBAR, on which I had attached a regular scope.

I'd like a Eotech holographic sight, so I'm saving some $$ to buy one. Do you guys have any suggestions as to which models are good? I can't throw a lot of money into a scope, but I want the best one I can afford. I'm thinking somewhere around $300.

Until I can save some $$ for an Eotech, I'm probably just going to keep my iron sights. Also, just for future reference, who makes good flip-up rear sights? I have fixed front sights, so I will need something high enough to match up.

Jay Cunningham
06-27-08, 14:11
I wanted the Daniel Defense quad rails, but don't have the $$ for them.

I would just hold off on these right now if I were you.

I'd like a Eotech holographic sight, so I'm saving some $$ to buy one. Do you guys have any suggestions as to which models are good? I can't throw a lot of money into a scope, but I want the best one I can afford. I'm thinking somewhere around $300.

Check out the classifieds for older Aimpoint M2 series - those will fall in your price range.

Until I can save some $$ for an Eotech, I'm probably just going to keep my iron sights. Also, just for future reference, who makes good flip-up rear sights? I have fixed front sights, so I will need something high enough to match up.

I recommend Troy.

C4IGrant
06-27-08, 14:14
Thanks for the replies. I decided to forgo the UTG quad rails and ordered some from KZ instead when I found out UTG was made in China. Are the KZ rails any good? I wanted the Daniel Defense quad rails, but don't have the $$ for them.

KZ rails are just ok at best. I would suggest saving up for at least a set of MI #17's.

The BSA scope and the mount are temporary...I know they suck! The mount came off my other Ar-15...a Colt Sporter HBAR, on which I had attached a regular scope.

For EOTech's, the 512 is one of the best.

For flip up rears, look at Troy, KAC, MI and even ARMS.

C4

CLHC
06-27-08, 15:43
I see you've got the photos posted. :D Way to go!

R1pper
06-27-08, 18:18
Welcome to the board, you will find some truly talented and knowledgeable people here

Think through carefully about what you are going to post. Remember its better to look like a fool than to open your mouth and prove it. Also dont take anything any one says personal, it is just consructive criticism.

-DM-

Spend some more time here before you make up your mind and say you dont like this site. BARF.com is a ****ing joke, if you want to deal with ****ing assholes who are mostly arm chair commandos, be my guest and go there. If you want to learn from people who truly know what they are talking about, swallow your pride and open your mind.

Im not trying to preach to you but if you spend a little time researching and reading here, you will find out fast that people are not trying to call you out and expose you. They are trying to help you become informed and educated, and not fall into the ranks of the "Mall-Ninja".

Like I said, spend a little more time reading and researching here and you will quickly become informed and educated about this weapons platform and how to deploy it properly.

Remember I was once in your shoes. Just take your time and become an information sponge.

-DM-

Safetyhit
06-27-08, 21:56
It's repetitive comments like that that make me not like this site. I took the criticism in the beginning, but repeating what other people have said is just being an a$$. A true professional would have read all the threads above and decided to hold his tongue, as it had been said already.

Repetitive comments such as what? What specifically do you base that statement on?

I thought everyone went easy on you considering your original pictures, to be honest. As well, even Tinman44's comment was harmless and even helpful. You chose to take it personally. Then on top of that you received lot's of detailed, helpful advice.

It seems your making a problem out of nothing at all. Toughen up.

tinman44
06-28-08, 01:57
It's repetitive comments like that that make me not like this site. I took the criticism in the beginning, but repeating what other people have said is just being an a$$. A true professional would have read all the threads above and decided to hold his tongue, as it had been said already.

i'm not a professional i'm here to learn as well. and i must have missed the others saying so as i didnt read every thread, i kinda meant it as a compliment but oh well.

C4IGrant
06-28-08, 08:55

Sometimes people need to hear the same things over and over before they realize that they are doing something wrong.

C4

ToddG
06-28-08, 09:18
A true professional would have read all the threads above and decided to hold his tongue, as it had been said already.

Hmmm. I'm a professional trainer. As such, I'd have to disagree with your assessment. Quite often, there is a benefit of mentioning something more than once to someone.

Furthermore, in the context of an internet site, if one guy came on and said "wow you are doing great!" and one guy came on and said "wow you are a soup sandwich!" what have you learned? Which opinion should you take to heart?

Having multiple experienced professional people tell you that you've made some mistakes, therefore, has great value. You could have spend a thousand dollars, gone to a class, and had someone tell you that same tuff. Instead you got the benefit for free. Being upset because other people tried to point out what you were doing wrong is unprofessional.

M4arc
06-28-08, 09:22
I just want to remind everyone that we were all new once too and we all had to learn, sometimes the hard way, the lessons that we're helping jdurr with here.

And keep in mind that we started this forum so we teach, learn and share experiences in a polite, respectful and professional manor. Let's uphold that standard in all our interactions with our fellow forum members.

jdurr - There are a lot of guys on this forum that do this kind of stuff for a living so absorb all you can and don't take things personally.

C4IGrant
06-28-08, 09:26
Hmmm. I'm a professional trainer. As such, I'd have to disagree with your assessment. Quite often, there is a benefit of mentioning something more than once to someone.

Furthermore, in the context of an internet site, if one guy came on and said "wow you are doing great!" and one guy came on and said "wow you are a soup sandwich!" what have you learned? Which opinion should you take to heart?

Having multiple experienced professional people tell you that you've made some mistakes, therefore, has great value. You could have spend a thousand dollars, gone to a class, and had someone tell you that same tuff. Instead you got the benefit for free. Being upset because other people tried to point out what you were doing wrong is unprofessional.

You bring up a good point and was thinking the same thing (about training). I see people to go Vickers Carbine classes all the time with just the worst possible gear and misconceptions about how to use their AR. They spend $700 for the class + ammo + lodging + gas + food to be told what you just got for FREE!

Not a bad deal. ;)

C4

ToddG
06-28-08, 09:56

M4arc ... dude, I don't know how long that's been in your signature but I just saw it for the first time and laughed my ass off.

M4arc
06-28-08, 10:11
M4arc ... dude, I don't know how long that's been in your signature but I just saw it for the first time and laughed my ass off.

:D

Templar felt I needed a good 7.62 signature so he hooked me up.

KintlaLake
06-28-08, 12:01
Give yourself some time to get your bearings here, jdurr. M4C is an outstanding source of information, the best I've found, but it'll take a while to translate its members' opinions, even the most experienced opinions, into what works for you.

(Trigger discipline notwithstanding. :rolleyes: )

With respect, I suggest that you gather information and gauge it against your own experience and skill, your own budget and what you want to do with your rifle.

If something works for you, it doesn't suck. And if it doesn't work for you, it doesn't rock. Be honest with yourself about all that, and be open to others' suggestions that there might be a better way.

In the end, you get to run with your own choices.

Me? I like my CAA saddle and Specter Gear single-point slings just fine.:D