PDA

View Full Version : WTF happened to the AR builders community???

BCmJUnKie
12-06-14, 18:47
Jesus Christ, I know since people have been building this platform, they have always been looking for the cheapest way to put absolute GARBAGE on their guns.....and viewing it as "saving money" because "you're just paying for the 'name' ", nonsense....but it just seems like dipshit overload lately.

Granted I havent been on the site lately, I miss you guys lots :).....especially you wormy, and Jon.

But what the hell is goin on lately. Not sure how many people see some of the Facebook pages, I would prefer not to put them on blast publicly, but it's a big page.

However, (and I realize) that not everyone does things like M4C, strongly urging people NOT to waste money on such garbage by tellin them to get their heads out of their asses or GTFO....but come on, not only does NO ONE step up a tell them a 200$ optic is SHIT, but they point them in the right direction to save money on THIS piece of dogshit over the other, often times even recommending an equally shitty and nonsensical mount for their lower tier "SEALs approved" garbage optic.

And let me tell you, these rifles are NOT byANY means....worthy of even the shittiest back woods "No Dumping" zone trash filled shooting "ranges".

Have I missed out on that much?? Does IG now sport a DPMS with a Walmart sparkfire green dot with matching laser??

Good god I can't take it lol. Rant over

VIP3R 237
12-06-14, 19:01
I'm glad I'm not the only one who has noticed. AR-15GOA is a really bad one and it seems like for every proper build there's 100 shitty ones. Of course if you say anything about their zombie mall ninja gun show special you get flamed pretty fast.

I was walking through a LGS yesterday and at the counter where they keep their MSR's two guys were looking for AR's under $600 and I heard the typical Colt is overrated and youre just paying for a name BS.

And last I checked IG was dual wielding them ;) :jester:

Mauser KAR98K
12-06-14, 19:12
Just late bloomers finding they can build their own stuff without real gunsmithing know how. I have a few projects on hold, but all serve purposes, are fun to do, and will be cheaper than buying a good rifle and spend more money to tear it down and make the way I want.

Where the hell you been, Junkie?

Ryno12
12-06-14, 19:16
Yeah, I'm guessing they're individuals that got into the game post Sandy Hook panic.

SteyrAUG
12-06-14, 19:26
With $900 Colt rifles you have to use some real bottom feeder parts to make a build "cost effective."

Currently a quality build will probably cost more than a Colt rifle and it takes a certain kind of person to do that on purpose. But there you are getting into "custom rifles" rather than "home builds."

Moose-Knuckle
12-06-14, 19:27
The worst part is there is another thread right now talking about how cheap everything is right now. No excuse to skimp on things in the current market.

Edit: Steyr beat me to it.

Kain
12-06-14, 19:29
As far as no one wanting to point out the flaws of their build or optic/gun/component/ect choices, most likely because no one wants to hurt their feelings. I ran into this a while back on another forum about a guy who bought a 1911 for carry but didn't want to carry it condition 1 because he was afraid of blowing his own dick off. By the time I got to replying stating to basically either get something that he was comfortable carrying condition one, or train until he was proficient and comfortable with the platform you had a bunch of morons cuddling him saying how everything is fine and to just not carry one in the chamber and train Israeli and how drawing and racking is just as fast or faster, and you can draw and rack the slide on your belt just as fast, ect forget doing so under stress or drawing at contact distances ect. When I called bullshit and said in point of fact that any recommending such things was a total ****ing moron I was told that saying he was stupid wasn't nice. Wasn't nice? You are giving advice that could cost them their lives and your worried about hurting their feelings?!?!

BCmJUnKie
12-06-14, 20:24
You're absolutely right. There's a reason ive only been a member on M4C. I can't stand pussies. This site isthe only one that requires thick skin to be a member.

A couple times I called out guys for recommending shit to new guys and it started a war, the crazy part....was at least 10 other guys defending the shit recommendations an calling me an asshole,douchebag,rude,mean etc.

I still like to stir the pot from time to time and abruptly stop notifications so my inbox isn't filled every ten seconds from a bunch of pussies

Just late bloomers finding they can build their own stuff without real gunsmithing know how. I have a few projects on hold, but all serve purposes, are fun to do, and will be cheaper than buying a good rifle and spend more money to tear it down and make the way I want.

Where the hell you been, Junkie?

I moved back down to Fla buddy.

Unfortunately the ranges here go hand in hand with shit rifles owned by idiots not wanting to learn, or know-it-all dipshits that are completely un open to any opinions on gear or training.

So I started building bikes again.

lunchbox
12-06-14, 20:33
If your rifle can't handle scrutiny, how's it gonna handle a life and death situation? If your skin is too thin for the Internet, its too thin for a mean, violent, bad guy intent on doing you or your love ones harm. The truth hurts but not nearly as bad as reality. Stir the pot and rub them the wrong way, you might just save their life.
ETA: good seein Ya BCm, I miss your pics:D

Clint
12-06-14, 22:28
Tell me about it.

There must be something about the price points lately that has drawn in a whole new bunch of first time buyers /builders.

I was at the range the other day and this guy came up to us after he saw we were shooting ARs.

He asked what kind of optic I had on it.

I explained that any appropriate scope will do, but a one piece cantilever mount is a must for an AR.

He tells me he just built some thing out of PSA parts on Black Friday special or something.

His first build, first AR.

Not a good combo, as conventional M4C wisdom is to buy your first carbine complete from a quality source.

He seemed like a nice enough guy, so I offered to take a look at what he put together.

Looked OK, just a basic build, nothing horrible at first glance.

I picked it up, ran the CH a few times and was like WTF?

The thing was gritty and dry like a desert.

Grinding bad.

I asked him if he lubed it, he said he did.

After explaining how it should feel and where to lube, he admitted that he lubed only the rear half of the carrier, which of course, does nothing but make your hand dirty when you remove it.

SteyrAUG
12-06-14, 23:26
Tell me about it.

There must be something about the price points lately that has drawn in a whole new bunch of first time buyers /builders.

I was at the range the other day and this guy came up to us after he saw we were shooting ARs.

He asked what kind of optic I had on it.

I explained that any appropriate scope will do, but a one piece cantilever mount is a must for an AR.

He tells me he just built some thing out of PSA parts on Black Friday special or something.

His first build, first AR.

Not a good combo, as conventional M4C wisdom is to buy your first carbine complete from a quality source.

He seemed like a nice enough guy, so I offered to take a look at what he put together.

Looked OK, just a basic build, nothing horrible at first glance.

I picked it up, ran the CH a few times and was like WTF?

The thing was gritty and dry like a desert.

Grinding bad.

I asked him if he lubed it, he said he did.

After explaining how it should feel and where to lube, he admitted that he lubed only the rear half of the carrier, which of course, does nothing but make your hand dirty when you remove it.

I just started telling these people they need "rifle gas."

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/254921_.html

Kain
12-06-14, 23:35
You're absolutely right. There's a reason ive only been a member on M4C. I can't stand pussies. This site isthe only one that requires thick skin to be a member.

A couple times I called out guys for recommending shit to new guys and it started a war, the crazy part....was at least 10 other guys defending the shit recommendations an calling me an asshole,douchebag,rude,mean etc.

I still like to stir the pot from time to time and abruptly stop notifications so my inbox isn't filled every ten seconds from a bunch of pussies

This site isn't the only one to require thick skin. And not towing the line on other sites require as much or more. And a strong ability to deal with stupid people in large numbers. I've been banned from at least one forum because I didn't tow the line and pointed out straight up lies or bullshit mythes that were being presented as fact because the word of the day was to trash the AR platform and if it wasn't an AK or Glock then it was junk and would never run and you were placing your life in jeopardy just looking at it. Also been on some sites where parties had a vested interest in making people feel good because they were trying to actively sell of or get rid of the exact shit that the person was wanting to have praised.

That said. Yeah, there are a lot of people who get their feelings hurt when you point out reality. Had one joker post pics of his range trip with his AR. 25 yard group that measured something like five inches. Everyone tells him great shooting. I ask for clarification, was it off hand or benched. Because if it was benched his shooting sucks and he needs more practice. He gets butthurt because I told him he can't shoot worth a damn and I'm the bad guy because I didn't stroke his delicate ego. Life's hard, wear a helmet.

Iraqgunz
12-07-14, 01:38
Nothing surprises me. I see so much of it on a daily basis that makes me want to start drinking. Even worse is that once they assemble their crap and it doesn't work, they seek out the peanut gallery for help, rather than finding someone who knows what they are doing.

The main issues as I see it are the trash vendors who are dumping shit on the market at warp speed. Add to this the fact that people still believe that all parts are the same, anyone can put an AR together and no special tools are needed.

All we can do is attempt to share our knowledge which is why I teach my classes. My hope is that by educating others they will do the same.

mstennes
12-07-14, 02:18
Nothing surprises me. I see so much of it on a daily basis that makes me want to start drinking. Even worse is that once they assemble their crap and it doesn't work, they seek out the peanut gallery for help, rather than finding someone who knows what they are doing.

The main issues as I see it are the trash vendors who are dumping shit on the market at warp speed. Add to this the fact that people still believe that all parts are the same, anyone can put an AR together and no special tools are needed.

All we can do is attempt to share our knowledge which is why I teach my classes. My hope is that by educating others they will do the same.

I agree 100%

SteyrAUG
12-07-14, 03:40

I used to be very active on HK centric forums, and then when it seemed 75% of the members had clones rather than HKs things became a nightmare. I listed a factory HK rifle and somebody wanted me to let them know what the bolt gap was. I told the truth and that I didn't have gauges and bolt gap was more of a "clone / build" concern than a factory rifle concern.

Sure you could shoot the piss out of your G3 and need to keep track of bolt gap, but not so much on a factory semi auto rifle. They basically told me I must be full of shit to not disclose the bolt gap given my HK experience and that the rifle in question must be seriously out of spec.

Talk about signal to noise ratio, try having a MP5 discussion with people who all own Special Weapons / Bobcat Arms clones and having them provide "dremel tool" solutions to people with actual MP5s. Makes no difference they've never held an actual MP5 and that sear pack timing issues are much different from bolt gap issues even though they can sometimes manifest the same symptoms.

There are actually guys on some forums who are viewed as master gunsmiths because they can make Century Arms and Vector guns run slightly more reliably. It's amazing to me.

pinzgauer
12-07-14, 09:14
I used to be very active on HK centric forums, and then when it seemed 75% of the members had clones rather than HKs things became a nightmare. I listed a factory HK rifle and somebody wanted me to let them know what the bolt gap was. I told the truth and that I didn't have gauges and bolt gap was more of a "clone / build" concern than a factory rifle concern.

I think of this point every time I hear someone refer to hard recoiling 91 / g3's. Or complain about the charging handle.

Most people have never handled much less shot real HK's. And the clones vary so widely that all bets are off.