PDA

View Full Version : Is this Rape thing a trend?

Averageman
12-06-14, 21:02
I found something on Brietbart that got me looking and I'm begining to wonder if this isn't a really odd trend that begining to happen. I'm not talking about the legitmate claims mind you, just those who do this for "Fun and Profit." Very odd and extreamly evil.
http://www.aol.com/article/2014/12/06/advocates-fear-impact-of-rolling-stone-apology/21003750/?icid=maing-grid7%7Chtmlws-sb-bb%7Cdl8%7Csec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D576958
Advocates for sexual-assault victims say Rolling Stone's backpedaling from an explosive account of a gang rape at the University of Virginia doesn't change the fact that rape is a problem on college campuses and must be confronted

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Hollywood/2014/12/06/barry-one-launches-legal-fund-considers-suit-against-lena-dunham
The man identified as "Barry One" in a Breitbart News investigation debunking Lena Dunham's story of being raped in college by a "mustachioed campus Republican" named Barry, has made his first official statement since the release of that report. Through his attorney, identified as Aaron Minc, Barry One has set up a legal fund to cover current legal expenses, clear his name, and to potentially file suit against Ms. Dunham.

http://www.redstate.com/2014/12/05/fifty-shades-bull-lena-dunham-uva-rape-accusation-industrial-complex/
Trial by media and Twitterverse has only allowed a foul industry where dishonest people can make fortunes and ruin others through dishonest, fabricated rape accusations. Pray for the next poor woman who really has been raped but who gets accused of being the next Tawana Brawley or Lena Dunham.
And if you have a Son, you might want to have him read this.
http://www.avoiceformalestudents.com/avfms-mega-post-10-reasons-false-rape-accusations-are-common/

Palmguy
12-06-14, 21:40
http://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2014/12/06/no-matter-what-jackie-said-we-should-automatically-believe-rape-claims/

BTW, the headline was changed...the word "generally" was inserted in the place of "automatically".

Sent from my Galaxy Tab S using Tapatalk

C-grunt
12-06-14, 23:06
I talked to a few of our sexual assault detectives a while back while we were investigating a rape that just didnt seem right. I was told that over 50 percent of rape cases turn out to be false. Mostly women who get caught cheating on their boyfriend/husband and pull the rape card to try and cover themselves.

Ive also had a guy claimed he was raped by three dudes in a van as an excuse why he didnt go to work. It was in another jurisdiction and they sent out detectives. After they found out he was lying (story started changing, no video of the incident where he claimed it happened) they actually arrested him for false reporting.

AKDoug
12-07-14, 02:19
My state has the horrible distinction of having the highest levels of reported rapes. Unfortunately, these FBI statistics count reports not arrests or convictions. It paints a false impression that a woman cannot move about Alaska without a 7 time higher risk of being raped than in New Jersey. This epidemic, if it exists, has generated millions of dollars of funding for various non-profits and government agencies. It's big business.

Don't get me wrong, as a father of two teenage daughters I take the act of rape very seriously and consider one of the most horrible crimes perpetuated by mankind. However, the profiteering by "war on women" types does nothing to solve the problem of actual rapes.

Averageman
12-07-14, 06:14
I've got a teenage Son in college, to say this is becomming the flavor of the day for femminist is a bit scarey.

No.6
12-07-14, 07:33
http://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2014/12/06/no-matter-what-jackie-said-we-should-automatically-believe-rape-claims/

BTW, the headline was changed...the word "generally" was inserted in the place of "automatically".

Sent from my Galaxy Tab S using Tapatalk

Gotta love the attitude of the author; being accused of rape is only a small price to pay.

The accused would have a rough period. He might be suspended from his job; friends might defriend him on Facebook.

Regardless if the accused is ultimately cleared, his friends and family will NEVER think of him the same.

Averageman
12-07-14, 08:00
Zerlina Maxwell is a political analyst, speaker, lawyer, and writer. She typically writes about national politics and cultural issues including domestic violence, sexual assault, and gender inequality.
Well it would appear to me that Zerlina Maxwell could take the above qualifications and make a pretty good living representing Ladies who makes these false accusations. Perhaps he wallet is biased?
And this?
The accused would have a rough period. He might be suspended from his job; friends might defriend him on Facebook.
Or he could go to jail for a very long time. The whole time he is there unless in a segregated unit, he will be in grave danger
In the case of Bill Cosby, we might have to stop watching his shows, consuming his books or buying tickets to his traveling stand-up routine.
Bill Cosby has the millions of dollars to defend himself, not only that, but his accusers now number 20+ Women. That's much different than lets say, The Duke Lacrosse team?
But false accusations are exceedingly rare, and errors can be undone by an investigation that clears the accused, especially if it is done quickly.
No, really; it can't be undone by an investigation. Just how fast does a job interview end if it is found out that you played lacrosse at Duke? It wouldn't even matter if you graduated last year, once that scarlet letter is handed out, you aren't removing the brand.

ABNAK
12-07-14, 08:18
I talked to a few of our sexual assault detectives a while back while we were investigating a rape that just didnt seem right. I was told that over 50 percent of rape cases turn out to be false. Mostly women who get caught cheating on their boyfriend/husband and pull the rape card to try and cover themselves.

Ive also had a guy claimed he was raped by three dudes in a van as an excuse why he didnt go to work. It was in another jurisdiction and they sent out detectives. After they found out he was lying (story started changing, no video of the incident where he claimed it happened) they actually arrested HIM for false reporting.

How often would that happen if it was a HER I have to wonder? Probably not very much.......

Averageman
12-07-14, 08:55
http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Hollywood/2014/12/06/barry-one-launches-legal-fund-considers-suit-against-lena-dunham
For more than two months, and to no avail, Barry One has asked Dunham (through her representatives) to clear his name. Obviously, she has refused.

"All proceeds will be spent by Barry on legal costs and related fees associated with defending Barry's reputation," the statement reads, "including, but not limited to, potentially pursuing Lena Dunham and Penguin Random House for harm caused to Barry's reputation from the publication and sale of Ms. Dunham's memoir."

And to make matter worse.

The statement adds that due to numerous details in Dunham's memoir that falsely point to him as her rapist, "Barry has already spent a substantial portion of his savings on legal fees because of the actions (and inactions) of Ms. Dunham and Penguin Random House."

Ms Dunham has played it rather smartly. She gets millions for her Bio, makes a trendy claim She cant back up (Being raped by those guys who have a "war" on Women) that ruins a Man's life and then decides to STFU? I'm sure She's a hero for the left.
I support this guy getting a good hefty settlement against her and her publisher.

J-Dub
12-07-14, 09:03
I would guess that the number of false rape/sex assault reports are near 80%.

Keep that in mind the next time you crawl in the sack with some strange...

9mm_shooter
12-07-14, 11:18
I see it as another form of SWATting. People obtain gain from swinging an all-too-ready bat at someone, for pleasure, revenge, political gain, or attention.

Palmguy
12-07-14, 12:05
Gotta love the attitude of the author; being accused of rape is only a small price to pay.

Regardless if the accused is ultimately cleared, his friends and family will NEVER think of him the same.

Yeah.....it's totally insane.

Also insane, Ezra Klein from Vox thinks that it's ok for some people to get falsely accused (and suffer consequences from such) to be made an example of to keep everyone else line.

Because for one in five women to report an attempted or completed sexual assault means that everyday sexual practices on college campuses need to be upended, and men need to feel a cold spike of fear when they begin a sexual encounter.

Critics worry that colleges will fill with cases in which campus boards convict young men (and, occasionally, young women) of sexual assault for genuinely ambiguous situations. Sadly, that's necessary for the law's success. It's those cases — particularly the ones that feel genuinely unclear and maybe even unfair, the ones that become lore in frats and cautionary tales that fathers e-mail to their sons — that will convince men that they better Be Pretty Damn Sure.

http://www.vox.com/2014/10/13/6966847/yes-means-yes-is-a-terrible-bill-and-i-completely-support-it

Koshinn
12-07-14, 12:10
I would guess that the number of false rape/sex assault reports are near 80%.

Keep that in mind the next time you crawl in the sack with some strange...

Any proof it's anywhere near that high?

I honestly think all rape accusations should be taken seriously by the police. But, the accused should be kept out of the media until proven guilty beyond reasonable doubt by a jury of his peers. Same with all criminals, really.

C-grunt
12-07-14, 12:44
Any proof it's anywhere near that high?

I honestly think all rape accusations should be taken seriously by the police. But, the accused should be kept out of the media until proven guilty beyond reasonable doubt by a jury of his peers. Same with all criminals, really.

I could see it being that high. We investigate all claims the same. There is a long through medical screening that the girls get by a trained RN to look for and to gather evidence. Blood samples are taken for evaluation. Then you get all the follow up that the detectives do.

J8127
12-07-14, 13:57
Duke Lacrosse, Jameis Winston...

FromMyColdDeadHand
12-07-14, 14:04
One point I think that no one really seems to care about is that these ex-officio tribunals and courts in Colleges. That I think is the real problem. Why is it that if a 20 year old woman is sexually assaulted in an apartment complex it is one thing, but if it happens on a college it is another??? The reality is that young people in college do really stupid things- and society seems to wink and nod and wall it off. The reality is that especially in college women are putting themselves in incredibly dangerous positions. I'm not say that they deserved to be assualted or anything, but that the college lifestyle leads to lots of chances for bad outcomes.

We don't have as much of a rape problem as we have a problem with young people in college thinking that they somehow are divorced from the real world. There are creeps and rapists in college- just as there are in the army, clergy and police- but people 'don't want to live in world like that'. Too bad, you already have the handstamp. One of the articles did point out that perhaps the real issues is these 'wolves' -sexual predators- in college. They get cover for their actions because of the college 'Sharia Law'. That to me is the real issue- and probably the most damaging and dangerous since they are often multiple and violent offenders.

Oh, and the fact that rapes are move common at frats is like saying drownings are more common in pools. It is an easy category to check a box on and its where a lot of young people get over served- of course it looks like there are lot of incidences.

Yes, I read the Rolling Stone article and even as I read it I was thinking that it sounded really odd. Now, odd shit happens in college- but her story is really odd in that it is almost cliche.

The 'Barry One' dude just needs to show up at one of her book signings and make her file charges or clear him. How Kafka-sque.

Of course the progressives are fine with a few men being wrongly convicted. Who is surprised that the anti-man movement that holds dearer group rights over individual rights would take this position.

The word on our university was that you didn't want to do any hook ups orientation week until they had done the date-rape awareness training. Every year some dude got accused of date rape right after the training.

AKDoug
12-07-14, 14:05
I've got a teenage Son in college, to say this is becomming the flavor of the day for femminist is a bit scarey.

I also have a teenage son in college (and a daughter) I honestly am more afraid of him getting hooked up with some crazy feminazi than I am him getting some sort of VD. Luckily, my kid has much better control on his dick than I ever did. He finds ladies that are completely at odds with his beliefs (conservative politics, guns, hunting, motorsports) to be totally unattractive. I'm not saying that more conservative girls don't throw down the rape card, but your odds are definitely better with the non-feminist crowd.

I know it sounds really boring to a lot of the crowd around here, but staying away from late night parties, excessive alcohol, drugs, strippers and keeping your dick out of crazy girls goes a long way to never getting in trouble with that one "rape card" throwing psycho.

TehLlama
12-07-14, 14:13
It's arguably worse in the military, since one false accusation suddenly crosses so many echelons of leadership that even an obvious false accusation is functionally able to destroy a career despite all parties involved knowing it's horseshit, which makes it all the more disappointing when actual rapists wind up with the benefit of the doubt because of the prevalence of the former.

AKDoug
12-07-14, 15:13
It's arguably worse in the military, since one false accusation suddenly crosses so many echelons of leadership that even an obvious false accusation is functionally able to destroy a career despite all parties involved knowing it's horseshit, which makes it all the more disappointing when actual rapists wind up with the benefit of the doubt because of the prevalence of the former.

If you're up for some Sunday reading... Google Alaska National Guard scandal... I immediately was very critical of the ANG, but now I have no clue what to believe.

Averageman
12-07-14, 15:34
I'm really getting a bit fed up with the whole feminist movement.
If it is okay to sacrifice an innocent Man and not go after the guilty party making false claims then they have truly lost any claim of legitimacy.
They don't lose part of it, not half of it, they lose the whole thing. When Women want and equal opportunity to compete with Men, the playing field has to be level and equal for all.
What we are seeing is a war on Men and anything Male that has the guts to stick its head up and cry foul.
At the first indication of any of this foolishness it is time to get up and walk, turn the channel or just refuse to participate in any way.

Dienekes
12-07-14, 15:48
I first read this about 35 years ago; true, and parts are funny as hell. http://www.amazon.com/Manipulated-Man-Esther-Vilar-ebook/dp/B0047745S0/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1417988656&sr=1-1&keywords=the+manipulated+man

Apply even a fraction of what she says and you may not be a "nice man" but you may salvage quite a bit of your personal freedom and sanity.

Koshinn
12-07-14, 16:54
I could see it being that high. We investigate all claims the same. There is a long through medical screening that the girls get by a trained RN to look for and to gather evidence. Blood samples are taken for evaluation. Then you get all the follow up that the detectives do.

Four out of five claims of sexual assault and rape are fabricated?

I've heard it was something like 5%.

TAZ
12-07-14, 17:25

Whether its 5% or 80% fabrication rate the end result should be the same. Those who make patently false claims need to be punished both criminally and in civil court for the damages they cause. If once can prove that they are lying then there needs to be a price paid. If their case dies due to lack of evidence to other legal issues, but there is no proof the accuser was lying, then there should be no punishment for the accuser. That whole innocent till proven guilty. I also think that the disclosure of suspect names, pictures and other identifiable information before those folks are proven guilty is wrong. With the prevalence of mass media, internet, social networks those accused of a crime have little chance of a fair trial or no chance at a normal life once they are exonerated. The media will NEVER run front page headlines claiming their stories were wrong.

ABNAK
12-07-14, 18:17

Whether it's as high as 80% I have my doubts, but I'll guaran-freaking-tee you it's higher than 5%.

Koshinn
12-07-14, 18:18
Whether its 5% or 80% fabrication rate the end result should be the same. Those who make patently false claims need to be punished both criminally and in civil court for the damages they cause. If once can prove that they are lying then there needs to be a price paid. If their case dies due to lack of evidence to other legal issues, but there is no proof the accuser was lying, then there should be no punishment for the accuser. That whole innocent till proven guilty. I also think that the disclosure of suspect names, pictures and other identifiable information before those folks are proven guilty is wrong. With the prevalence of mass media, internet, social networks those accused of a crime have little chance of a fair trial or no chance at a normal life once they are exonerated. The media will NEVER run front page headlines claiming their stories were wrong.

Completely concur.

chuckman
12-08-14, 09:54
I was peripherally involved with the Duke lacrosse case. Since then, and with these stories coming out, I have become very skeptical, which is sad because when it happens for real more people will look at the cases through biased lenses.

glocktogo
12-08-14, 12:21

Ive also had a guy claimed he was raped by three dudes in a van as an excuse why he didnt go to work. It was in another jurisdiction and they sent out detectives. After they found out he was lying (story started changing, no video of the incident where he claimed it happened) they actually arrested him for false reporting.

I've always felt that false reporting is the most detrimental phenomenon going against people who are actually raped. I believe those who bear false witness should be tried and if prosecuted, sentenced to exactly what those they falsely accused would have received.

It stems from the assumption that even if you didn't do it, your poor judgement put you in a situation where your integrity could be questioned. Not a good trait for a leadership position.

markm
12-08-14, 12:31
There was this nutty bitch on one of the homocide shows where they follow the real detectives through the case.... anyway. She ended up killing a guy by setting him up and claiming rape... she shot him with a piece of shit XD that she'd got from a Deputy through here manipulation of men habit.

The Female detective was awesome. Figured out really quick that the bitch did a reload on the XD and nailed her for murder.

The cuckoo had so many false rape claims, they couldn't send the file to the Detective electronically. Had to box them to her.

TehLlama
12-08-14, 14:21
It stems from the assumption that even if you didn't do it, your poor judgement put you in a situation where your integrity could be questioned. Not a good trait for a leadership position.

... which is usually not the dumbest assumption, but having seen painfully obvious cases of attention seeking sluts (I'm being frankly charitable here) changing their mind after consensual sex still pulling that off, which dragged on for years despite pretty solid evidence that the broad was batty, it's just beyond frustrating that idiots can make such serious false accusations with basically minimal repurcussions. What's frustrating to me is that effective tolerance of false accusations (but everybody in that command ostracizing the accuser) becomes a mechanism for actual rapes to go undisclosed because no rape victim wants to go through that on top of something so horrific.

C-grunt
12-08-14, 17:44

Straight from the detectives I talked to its over 50 percent. On a patrol level many of the false claims are very easy to see through. Like I said before having a woman claim rape after getting caught cheating is common and probably the biggest reason why over half turn out to be false. It definitely takes up a lot of detectives time searching for the real rapists.

Sensei
12-08-14, 23:39
I see my fair share of rape victims who come through the emergency department. The vast majority are not the clear cut cases that you see on TV where a female jogger is pulled into the bushes. I can count on one hand the number of abduction rapes that I've seen. Most adult cases that I see center around substance abuse with an inebriated female victim.

Averageman
12-09-14, 06:16
Rolling Stone has as much as admitted they are wrong about this and the Fraternity is taking it to court.
I'm pretty sure they have a strong case and will prevail, perhaps this will make someone think twice.
Now if they can derail this Nut Bag Lena Dunham.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2014/12/08/lena-dunhams-publisher-says-her-alleged-rapist-barry-wasn't-actually-named-barry/

TheWrap now reports that Random House has put out a statement exonerating this Identifiable Conservative Barry, and saying that the alleged rapist wasn’t really named Barry at all.

So it would appear they are rolling back on the whole "Rape" thing, but well after the damage has been done and "Barry" has spent all of his cash trying to clear his name.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/ryanhatesthis/lena-dunham-responds-to-sex-abuse-claims

BTW this is what this Batty Chick writes about abusing her own sister.

Dunham writes of casually masturbating while in bed next to her younger sister, of bribing her with “three pieces of candy if I could kiss her on the lips for five seconds … anything a sexual predator might do to woo a small suburban girl I was trying.” At one point, when her sister is a toddler, Lena Dunham pries open her vagina — “my curiosity got the best of me,” she offers, as though that were an explanation

FromMyColdDeadHand
12-09-14, 10:31
The incredible thing about the Rolling Stone story is that they named the Fraternity, but they didn't contact the fraternity for rebuttal??? That's what passes for journalism? It is said that the accuser didn't want to tip off her attackers that she was behind the accusation- but what does she think will happen when the article comes out with a date and place of the attack?

glocktogo
12-09-14, 11:08
The incredible thing about the Rolling Stone story is that they named the Fraternity, but they didn't contact the fraternity for rebuttal??? That's what passes for journalism? It is said that the accuser didn't want to tip off her attackers that she was behind the accusation- but what does she think will happen when the article comes out with a date and place of the attack?

Today's "journalism" has slid down the slippery slope, off the cliff, down into the ravine, washed down the stream of confirmation bias and into the river of belief perseverance. Bias is no longer something to be avoided, but embraced and revered as a critical component to "informing" America. We're witnessing the "Grubering" of our society, but you know, it's for our own good... :(

WillBrink
12-09-14, 11:18

And how often are charges brought against them for making the false accusation? Next time you talk with them, ask. If the result of making false rape accusations was charges and jail time, you'd see an astounding drop in false charges no doubt. The fact is, that protects legit victims of rape.

C-grunt
12-09-14, 14:09
And how often are charges brought against them for making the false accusation? Next time you talk with them, ask. If the result of making false rape accusations was charges and jail time, you'd see an astounding drop in false charges no doubt. The fact is, that protects legit victims of rape.

Ill ask but I bet the percentage is pretty low. From what they said it seems like the majority of the BS cases are dismissed very early before the accused is harmed in any way. I would bet though that its very low because of politics.

WillBrink
12-09-14, 15:09
Ill ask but I bet the percentage is pretty low.

It was a rhetorical question of sorts. I know it's low.

From what they said it seems like the majority of the BS cases are dismissed very early before the accused is harmed in any way. I would bet though that its very low because of politics.

Enough seem to get far enough into the process to harm the accused without any repercussions to the accuser it seems to me. It seems to me about the only crime you can knowingly and intentionally accuse someone one of, get caught doing it red handed, and have little to know repercussions for it.

Ad that harms (obviously) the accused but also the legit victims of rape.

Suwannee Tim
12-09-14, 15:34
The trend is not this "rape thing" but the Left taking some issue and blowing it wildly out of proportion to distract attention from the failures of Leftism. You see other examples in the protests against supposed excessive use of force by the police. Leftism is in failure mode and as it collapses excpect to see more and more distractions of this nature. The facts are crime rates have been dropping for a couple of decades and college campuses (campi?) are safer places than the surroundings.

FromMyColdDeadHand
12-09-14, 16:54
The trend is not this "rape thing" but the Left taking some issue and blowing it wildly out of proportion to distract attention from the failures of Leftism. You see other examples in the protests against supposed excessive use of force by the police. Leftism is in failure mode and as it collapses excpect to see more and more distractions of this nature. The facts are crime rates have been dropping for a couple of decades and college campuses (campi?) are safer places than the surroundings.

Only at Jesuit schools, because there is always a ghetto next door. It's as true as MLK Drives being bad places to get off the highway.

The issue is that there are two problems. The over arching issue is that college kids are dumb, drunk and dumber. They do stupid things, both by direct action and by putting themselves in dangerous positions. Bad stuff has a high prevalence to happen- with often fuzzy boundaries made hazier with alcohol. All with out much supervision. Bad stuff follows. In this jungle of jumbled responsibilities and outcomes true predators take advantage of the confusion to be true demons.

The rape programs are like drunk driving programs that try to lower the BAC level lower and lower, when the real issue is the hard-core offenders that repeat over and over, rather than the person who screws up and gets out of hand. The solution is education for people that mistakes and eradication for the true predators- not treating everyman as a wolf.

The_War_Wagon
12-09-14, 17:01

Tawana Brawley & Al Sharpton could share a cell TOGETHER... :mad:

FromMyColdDeadHand
12-09-14, 20:57
There are no repurcussions on the left for stunts. Just look at the 'memo-gate' with G-W in 2004. That was in some ways even more dangerous than an assassination with a bullet. It was the attempt to off a candidate and subvert the democratic process. Who went to jail? Dan Rather still has TV shows.

Eurodriver
04-05-15, 21:19
Fox is reporting that the Rolling Stones article which basically started a witch hunt for frat guys gang raping "Jackie" was totally made up and Rolling Stones did zero corroboration to verify "Jackies" story.

So literally, a girl goes to a magazine with a sad story about being gang raped by a fraternity. Police investigate for 4 months. Kegs are banned. All sorts of negative publicity. Parties need security hired at the frats expense. No one verified anything. How scary.

FromMyColdDeadHand
04-05-15, 22:45
I saw that the sexual assualt rate for college attending students isn't as high as those not attending. While each attack is a horrible event, why are they concentrating on colleges, with upper-middle class white males as the bad-guys--- wait, I just got it.

Saying sexual assaults happen at frat houses where people are drunk and dumb is like commenting that drownings happen in pools- duh....

Averageman
04-06-15, 07:25
I'm not sure how this is even close to an apology to anyone except fellow journalists

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/06/business/media/rolling-stone-retracts-article-on-rape-at-university-of-virginia.html?_r=0
Rolling Stone magazine retracted its article about a brutal gang rape at a University of Virginiafraternity after the release of a report on Sunday that concluded the widely discredited piece was the result of failures at every stage of the process.
AND
On Sunday, Ms. Erdely, in her first extensive comments since the article was cast into doubt, apologized to Rolling Stone’s readers, her colleagues and “any victims of sexual assault who may feel fearful as a result of my article.”

In an interview discussing Columbia’s findings, Jann S. Wenner, the publisher of Rolling Stone, acknowledged the piece’s flaws but said that it represented an isolated and unusual episode and that Ms. Erdely would continue to write for the magazine.
What is obviously missing is the fact that lives were, if not ruined, but badly damaged by these false accusations. I'm still not sure why this Fraternity doesn't currently own Rolling Stone.
One might think Ms Erdely might be better suited for another occupation, I'm not sure however if Vultures or Leeches would allow her in their Union or choose to associate with her, after all unlike Rolling Stone, they have some Professional Standards.

Averageman
04-06-15, 07:38
An interesting article here from another perspective about numbers. It would appear there are no real numbers accourding to this. Sad story for this guy, lost his job and a lot of friends after being falsely accused. His accuser, well She got probation and an ankle monitor.

http://www.ijreview.com/2014/12/225065-2-video-of-man-falsely-accused-highlights-the-sensitive-issues-of-rape-and-its-allegations/
A thesis by Edward Greer published in the Loyola of Los Angeles Law Review examines the issue of false rape allegations and reports some of the findings. At issue is the oft-repeated claim that only 2 percent of rape allegations are false.

As far as can be ascertained, no study has ever been published which sets forth an evidentiary basis for the “two percent false rape complaint” thesis.

Despite the difficulties in measuring wrongful accusations, there is indirect data available that is highly suggestive that far more than two percent of rape accusations are false. In a significant fraction of instances, the accusers recant their charges.

Where did the two percent number come from? According to Greer’s research, all of the scholarly papers’ citations of the statistic can all be traced back to one source: a book entitled Against Our Will by Susan Brownmiller, written in the 1970s.

Where did she get the figure? “A mimeoed handout” in one of her files. What, then, is the real number of false rape reports? Bloomberg notes:

The number of false accusations is what statisticians call a “dark number” — that is, there is a true number, but it is unknown, and perhaps unknowable.

An article in the Washington Times showed that some of the statistics being put out by the White House on rape accusations are mutually exclusive, and therefore, at least one of them must be false:

And perhaps some light at the end of a very ugly tunnel.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/dec/10/lena-dunham-uva-and-people-wrongly-accused-of-rape/?page=all
As victims go, college men who contend they have been wrongly punished for sexual assault don’t get a lot of sympathy. But the fallout from the debacles surrounding the University of Virginia and Lena Dunham rape allegations could change that.

Sherry Warner Seefeld, president of Families Advocating for Campus Equality, says she’s received a number of first-time calls in the last few days from parents whose sons are facing suspension or expulsion for sexual assaults they say they didn’t commit.

What’s more, she said, some parents are looking at the option of suing not just the university but also the accuser. More than a dozen universities are facing lawsuits by men who say they were railroaded by campus tribunals under federal pressure to crack down on the so-called “rape culture” in higher education.

Eurodriver
04-06-15, 08:06
Wow.

Even DU gets it right once in a while.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/10141059501

Koshinn
04-06-15, 08:37
Wow.

How do you go to DU without your eyeballs melting and your brain exploding?

sevenhelmet
04-06-15, 08:42
Wow.

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Averageman
04-06-15, 08:45
Wow.

Just browsing through their board leads me to believe that no one, not one single person feels bad for those who were falsely accused. I'm sorry, but that just doesn't cut it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/06/business/media/rolling-stone-retracts-article-on-rape-at-university-of-virginia.html
“Ultimately, we were too deferential to our rape victim,” Mr. Woods, the article’s editor, said in the report. “We honored too many of her requests in our reporting. We should have been much tougher, and in not doing that, we maybe did her a disservice.”
Ms. Erdely, Mr. Wenner said, “Was willing to go too far in her effort to try and protect a victim of apparently a horrible crime. She dropped her journalistic training, scruples and rules and convinced Sean to do the same. There is this series of falling dominoes.”Mr. Dana said that the report was punishment enough for those involved, and that they did not deserve to lose their jobs because the article “was not the result of patterns in the work of these people.” The full report was posted on Rolling Stone’s website, and an edited version will appear in the print magazine. Mr. Dana has also written an editor’s note.

Please note that one of the young Men at this Fraternity was pretty well identified in the article, it noted his class year, his on campus job and his fraternity. That I am sure isolated his identity to at most perhaps two people, but most likely a single individuaL.
Once it hit print the "Cow was out the Barn" and Rolling Stone couldnt retract the story or pull everything off of the web and the shelves. The damage was irreparable to this young mans reputation.
Aparently neither Rolling Stone, The National Media, or anyone at the DU give a dman about that.

FromMyColdDeadHand
04-06-15, 08:53
The Fraternities on campus should hold a symposium on the failure of modern journalistic practices and the damage they have on society....

TehLlama
04-06-15, 09:17
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Run that stupid pile of crap backwards and it's right twice as often!!!

Averageman
04-06-15, 09:21
The Fraternities on campus should hold a symposium on the failure of modern journalistic practices and the damage they have on society....

Or just Lawyer up and go after everybody. I'm not a fan of frivilous legal actions, but I am a fan of going after these types of smear campaigns that with little or no merit ruin lives and futures.
I would have everyone from Perry Mason to Saul Goodman on my side working 24-7 to get my pound of flesh from anyone who as much as dropped a narrow unwarrented critical word against every Young Man in the Fraternity.

Eurodriver
04-06-15, 10:17
I like knowing what the other side thinks. It helps me defeat them.

How do you go to DU without your eyeballs melting and your brain exploding?

Koshinn
04-06-15, 10:30
I like knowing what the other side thinks. It helps me defeat them.

But the site design and layout are atrocious even before you get to the content!

glocktogo
04-06-15, 17:37
Anyone who reads RS for "hard hitting journalism" is a complete idiot. :rolleyes: