PDA

View Full Version : Colt LE6920 SOCOM - fit/finish questions

M.Bailey
12-06-14, 21:36
Hi Everyone. I bought my son a Colt LE6920 SOCOM for Christmas. I've taken it down and cleaned/lubed it so it will look real nice when he opens it :)

I noticed a couple things and I am hoping that you can give me some advice:

1) If I pull back on the charging handle and let it move forward slowly, it will not fully seat the bolt. It does fine if I pull back and release, but when I let it move forward slowly, I have to use the forward assist or push on the charging handle to fully seat the bolt.

3) The M4 feed ramps don't look like they are aligned / smooth with the receiver extensions. Not sure if this is a problem. Should I have them ground down to be smooth?

4) The inside of the upper looks to have some sort of light grey coating that doesn't coat the entire inside of the upper. It fades/ends as it gets close to the chamber.

I have included a couple pics for your review. I'm fairly new to ARs; I have a 1-yr old DPMS Recon and wanted to get my son something mil-spec since he's in the Marines. I know that DPMS doesn't get a lot of love around here, but I have to say the fit/finish is a little better to my untrained eye.

Thank you for any feedback you can provide.

-Mitch

WS6
12-06-14, 21:41
Don't baby the action closed.
The gray is a dry film lube. No issue.
I didn't see a picture of the feed ramps. No comment.

So far it sounds fine.

Ryno12
12-06-14, 21:43
1. Normal. It'll break in & you're not gonna ride the CH in regular use anyway
2. Pics would be helpful but my guess is that it's fine.
3. No worries

M.Bailey
12-06-14, 21:48
Thank You for the quick reply. I couldn't get a pic of the feed ramps. We'll let him get it broken in. If he has FTF issues then I will contact a gun smith or Colt to have them looked at.

Renegade04
12-06-14, 21:49
Do not ride the action closed. That does result in just the way you described it. Under normal operation, the bolt is slammed into battery by the buffer spring tension.

SpeedRacer
12-06-14, 21:50
1 & 4 are perfectly normal. As for 3 it's not unusual for there to be a small "step" between the feed ramps, as long as the ramps in the barrel extension aren't overhanging the ramps in the lower it's G2G. Not sure on number 2. :p

M.Bailey
12-06-14, 22:05
:) I removed one question and forgot to renumber.

The step between feed ramps is in the GTG category.

Thank you all.

Iraqgunz
12-06-14, 22:21
I suggest you seek someone local who can assist you in learning about your new carbine.

Eurodriver
12-07-14, 05:54
As for 3 it's not unusual for there to be a small "step" between the feed ramps, as long as the ramps in the barrel extension aren't overhanging the ramps in the lower it's G2G. Not sure on number 2. :p

Came in here to say this.

markm
12-07-14, 08:53
Some Colts have had the feed ramps slightly out of time with the barrel extension by a few degrees. I've never seen anyone have problems from this.

texasgunhand
12-07-14, 19:59
The bolt and gas rings are new once broke in the charge handle will close easy,but dont ride it like stated previously.

M.Bailey
12-08-14, 21:59
Thanks everyone!

joeyjoe
12-09-14, 10:35
just want to second what texasgunhand said. Its likely that the reason you must use the forward assist to ease BCG into battery is because the bolt and/or gas rings are new and very rigid. This is a good thing. Its likely that the gas rings are pushing very forcefully on the interior of the bolt carrier walls, creating a tight seal (again, that's a very good thing). Also, the grey stuff in the upper is hard lube. This is per milspec and allows for a more fluid cycling of the carbine (particularly useful during initial break in period). Basically, 2 of the issues you noticed are actually really GOOD things. As far as the feed ramps, you really should post a picture so we can better understand what you are talking about. If there is a small step that slightly drops down going from the upper down to the feed ramps, that's totally normal. However, if the feed ramps are completely misaligned, while it might not have any impact on the function of the carbine, I might have colt look at it. It all depends on how misaligned. Your son has a great carbine (make no mistake, its heads and shoulders above the ole dpms).

M.Bailey
12-09-14, 13:20
just want to second what texasgunhand said. Its likely that the reason you must use the forward assist to ease BCG into battery is because the bolt and/or gas rings are new and very rigid. This is a good thing. Its likely that the gas rings are pushing very forcefully on the interior of the bolt carrier walls, creating a tight seal (again, that's a very good thing). Also, the grey stuff in the upper is hard lube. This is per milspec and allows for a more fluid cycling of the carbine (particularly useful during initial break in period). Basically, 2 of the issues you noticed are actually really GOOD things. As far as the feed ramps, you really should post a picture so we can better understand what you are talking about. If there is a small step that slightly drops down going from the upper down to the feed ramps, that's totally normal. However, if the feed ramps are completely misaligned, while it might not have any impact on the function of the carbine, I might have colt look at it. It all depends on how misaligned. Your son has a great carbine (make no mistake, its heads and shoulders above the ole dpms).

:) Thanks JoeyJoe. You are correct regarding the gas rings. The bolt is a bit of a challenge to get into the carrier due to the rings.

I will try to get a picture of the feed ramps tonight or tomorrow.

M.Bailey
12-14-14, 19:48
Okay. Finally got some pics of the feed ramps.

http://i1383.photobucket.com/albums/ah302/mitchbailey/20141214_202210_zps1aea5916.jpg

http://i1383.photobucket.com/albums/ah302/mitchbailey/20141214_202339_zps658ef956.jpg

Let me know what you think.

Ryno12
12-14-14, 19:50
They look fine. What do you see that you're questioning?

JBecker 72
12-14-14, 20:02
Looks fine to me as well.

M.Bailey
12-14-14, 20:10
The top picture (5916) shows the lip, or step between the upper receiver and the extension (or is it chamber?). In the picture it appears as a gap, but it is a step.

The bottom picture (956) shows a different angle and I agree it looks good.

On a related note, can you tell me what is the small indentation in the barrel extension is. It is shown in picture 2.

Thanks a million for the advice.

Ryno12
12-14-14, 20:13
Is the barrel extension higher than the receiver?

Looks like where the hardness was tested.

Kotuku
12-14-14, 21:34
looks like it should. Great gift btw.

joeyjoe
12-15-14, 00:06
looks great! you can rest easy. This is exactly what I was referencing in my initial post a page or so back. What you do NOT want is lateral misalignment between the upper and the barrel extension. laterally, your carbine is perfect. Also, you do NOT want the barrel extension to protrude out over the upper. Good to go in this respect as well. What I think you are seeing is your barrel extension is recessed slightly (from the viewers perspective) and, as a result, your upper receiver isn't quite able to meet up perfectly flush with the barrel extension. Again, this is completely fine, will not effect function/feeding, and is very common. So now all concerns have been addressed. Not only are there no problems, but 2 issues are actually a plus. Your son is going to get a gift that he can be proud of for the rest of his life. Take care.

Leaveammoforme
12-15-14, 04:01
I would be worried about the lack of a stake on the rearward gas key screw.

Ryno12
12-15-14, 05:45
I would be worried about the lack of a stake on the rearward gas key screw.

Since the OP didn't post a picture of the gas key, I assume you're just messing with him??

Leaveammoforme
12-15-14, 11:02
Since the OP didn't post a picture of the gas key, I assume you're just messing with him??

Pic is in same photo album on photobucket that he posted.

Ryno12
12-15-14, 11:03
Pic is in same photo album on photobucket that he posted.

Gotcha. I didn't look at any other pics in the album.

M.Bailey
12-15-14, 11:58
:-) Sorry for the confusion. I just uploaded the Colt pics to my general photobucket account.... The pic of the BCG is from my DPMS Recon. The staking is light on the rear gas key screw.

Thank you all for the responses. Everyone is very helpful and I am learning a lot.

joeyjoe
12-15-14, 15:17
Yeah, I bet the staking on the Colt gas key is ferocious. Colt doesn't fu*k around with their stake jobs.

M.Bailey
12-15-14, 16:42
True that. The colt staking is very good.