PDA

View Full Version : Magnifier vs ACOG vs other?

tower59
12-07-14, 11:13
My eyes aren't getting any younger, and I'm exploring options for improving accuracy on my Colt 6720. The only work role this rifle has is defending the homestead if the world gets turned upside down. (Inside the house is covered with a Glock.) We live in the country so I shoot out to 300 yards routinely and want this rifle to meet that role of up to 300 yards. I love my Aimpoint T1, but target identification and a bit of precision are lacking at 200 yards+. I want something that will let me see better at distance, not slow me down too much at closer ranges, and doesn't add too much weight to my light AR. Also, the threat of EMP is a small but real possibility that I'd like to be prepared for. I don't want equipment that will fail me when I need it.

Options:
(1) Continue with a micro-red dot that works awesome, just realizing that 200 yards+ will be getting harder with time. Iron sights as backup. Pro: No extra cost, no extra weight, no added equipment failure risk, and keeps the rifle slick.
(2) ACOG TA33G-H. 3x magnification. Pros: should help me command out to 300-400 yards, built like a tank, no electronics to fail or battery to replace, no dials to manipulate during combat. Cons: Some added weight, $950, likely a little slower to time on target at close ranges (under 25 yards?).
(3) Red dot magnifier. Pros: Lets me use T1 alone up close where it shines, yet adds some reach at longer ranges. Cons: Added weight, requires an extra step to move the optic in and out when changing ranges, need for batteries, and potential for electrical and mechanical failure.
(4) Variable 1-4/6?x scope.

ACOGs seemed to be the go-to optic for rough use for a few years, but lately the variable 1-4x scopes seem to be far more popular, at least in the civilian world. Why is this, particularly when the TA33 has such good eye relief? I am not the expert here, which is why I'm asking, but after reading lots with not much personal hands-on comparison, the TA33 seems potentially like a great compromise in a number of areas. Appreciate any suggestions! Thanks-

equilibrium
12-07-14, 11:47
I just handled the 5x Burris today at my LGS and it was awesome. The glass was clear and the reticle was clear without illumination. It was under $400 and it could be an excellent option. I am considering it myself for a long range rifle. It was the Burris 536 model scope.

superstratjunky
12-07-14, 13:18
To answer the question about why a 1-4 vs ACOG. It's the ability to go to 1x to 4x & back & have both eyes open on 1x. The ACOG is only a fixed 3x or 4x. That may or may not be a problem for you. That's something only you yourself can decide. For me, going from a few yards to a 200+ shot, a 1-4 with a mil-dot would be ideal. Magnifiers just have the dot to work with, but that also is personal preference. Some guys/gals like combining a powered scope with offset open/dot sights or top mounted dot.

About your EMP concern, anything powered by a battery may or may not work. Some 1-4 scopes have etched reticals & will always work, as long as there's ample light. Remember, there's always a trade off with any set up. You just need to decide which options fit your particular mission. For me, I'll take a little weight hit & go for an etched & lighted 1-4 with offset open sights. To me it's the best compromise of, well all your concerns. But what's right for me, might not be right for you. Try it though, it just might work out.

HardToHandle
12-07-14, 13:35
Related thread going elsewhere - https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?161244-Do-I-want-a-magnifer-behind-my-red-dot

I had a Millett 1-4x DMS and found it porky for the value the variability gave. I rarely ran it less than 4x.
I am now trying out a Burris AR-332 before I'd make a ACOG investment. Primary Arms had a solid deal around Black Friday at a fraction of an ACOG cost.

All that said - I have been pretty happy with a RDS and a 3x magnifier. A 3x magnifier adds a valuable option to existing RDS - especially beyond 200 yards in my case. It also helps hammer targets at the 75-100 yard ranges and speeds up my target acquisition in additional to accuracy at that range. The only appreciable downside it that the magnifier isn't always on the rifle for me, but generally close at hand, with a weight penalty less than a dedicated magnifying optic.

For the OP, if you have something that works - a RDS - consider staying with it. Add a magnifier. That gets you to 200yds.

And the EMP stuff... My *guess* that a rifle in a safe or inside even a vehicle is somewhat protected. The EMP stuff is considerably overblown and any one who professes to know how the ionizing radiation will progress through the atmosphere is not to be trusted.

foxtrotx1
12-07-14, 14:01
I have a TA-33 with the red horseshoe. I gotta say, it's the bees knees. It's extremely rugged should you ever require that of your optic, it's bright in most situations, and if you want to tone it down you can cover the fiber optic. Works at night thanks to the tritium power source, and no need for batteries. The fixed 3x is not a burden as you might imagine. The optic is so slim, and the eyebox so forgiving, that you can essentialy use it like a red dot with little practice. The eye relief is listed as 1.5 inches on triji's website, but that is a bold face lie. You get up to 3 inches of really usable eye relief. The ballistic drop markings are a useful guide, but I don't use it as it as much since mine is mounted on an 11.5 in upper. The optic is lighter and more compact than any variable on the market if I'm not mistaken.

The glass is incredible on these things. It's really a great optic for someone who would like to see the target a bit better, but wants speed up close while not having to fidget with moving parts or batteries.

If you want speed, get the horseshoe. It's a little less precise than the chevron since the aiming dot is 2 MOA, but it's much faster. I also recommend getting a 3rd party mount, I have the Larue and I love it.

Did I mention I love my TA-33?

equilibrium
12-07-14, 19:13
I have 4 years experience with the ACOG RCO and it is excellent if you can adjust to the flaws of the ACOG. Eye relief and fixed 4x. I trained enough to over come these issue and get really good at CQB with it but it is going to take time and practice. If you do not plan on having a lot of devotion to the ACOG than go with a RDS and magnifier.

Pi3
12-07-14, 20:39
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?49631-Aimpoint-Owners-Read-This-EMP

aimpoint & emp

equilibrium
12-07-14, 20:47
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?49631-Aimpoint-Owners-Read-This-EMP

aimpoint & emp

I think this is valid but scientifically an unproven assessment. A strong EMP would most likely render any electrical device useless. It seems like he gave you the most political answer he could because he understood he was trying to communicate with a particular community of people. Essentially trying to keep his line of product in the running for that community when compared to the "complete SHTF" proof optics.