PDA

View Full Version : M&P accuracy redemption

lonnie1120
12-08-14, 08:52
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/12/06/austin-cop-sure-shot-stopped-crazed-gunman/

ralph
12-08-14, 10:13
One shot doesn't redeem anything.... If the officer who did this, could do this, say, 10 times out of 10, at 100yds, I'd be impressed.. Whether it was planned, or just plain lucky we'll never know.. Considering what was going on at the time the shot was made, I'm glad it worked out.

brushy bill
12-08-14, 11:10
Additionally, the .40s weren't a problem as far as I knew. It was the 9mms.

ralph
12-08-14, 14:22

Correct. that was my understanding as well...

Surf
12-08-14, 14:39
Interesting first post.

ghostsup
12-08-14, 16:12
What was wrong with the 9mm's?

PatrioticDisorder
12-08-14, 16:25

My M&P full size .40 couldn't hit a damn thing past 15 yards... With storm lakes conversion barrel in, same gun gives me my best groups at 25 yards... Mine is likely a one off, as I haven't heard anyone else complain about it. You could blame it on the .40, but my .40 compact and .40 Shields shoot just fine.

RHINOWSO
12-08-14, 18:23
"Better to be lucky than good..."

rero360
12-08-14, 18:51
Figured I'd piggyback off this instead of creating a new thread for a rather simple question; I pick up a new 4.25" M&P 9mm Saturday and am curious if I should order any APEX parts for it and if so what, or should I just shoot it first and see if the trigger is not to my liking? I carried one back about 5 years ago when I worked for Brinks and thought that the trigger sucked, but I've heard that they have improved the trigger over the years.

Clint
12-08-14, 19:15
The new triggers are pretty good and can be polished up nicely.

Figured I'd piggyback off this instead of creating a new thread for a rather simple question; I pick up a new 4.25" M&P 9mm Saturday and am curious if I should order any APEX parts for it and if so what, or should I just shoot it first and see if the trigger is not to my liking? I carried one back about 5 years ago when I worked for Brinks and thought that the trigger sucked, but I've heard that they have improved the trigger over the years.

rero360
12-08-14, 19:24
I just remember how mushy the old one felt and how great the APEX trigger on my buddy's CORE was

Kain
12-08-14, 19:27
Already being discussed.
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?162014-100yd-one-handed-pistol-shot-by-LEO-took-down-Austin-shooter

alvincullumyork
12-08-14, 19:39
Interesting first post.

With a join date in 2010...

Some where terribly inaccurate from the factory. Like 10" group at 10 yards bad. I'm pretty sure mine is one of the bads ones, at least that's what I claim if/when someone out shoots me...

My M&P full size .40 couldn't hit a damn thing past 15 yards... With storm lakes conversion barrel in, same gun gives me my best groups at 25 yards... Mine is likely a one off, as I haven't heard anyone else complain about it. You could blame it on the .40, but my .40 compact and .40 Shields shoot just fine.

This is the first report of a 40 that I've heard.

ralph
12-08-14, 22:15

They had/still have accuracy issues... I had one that did as well, Do a search on this board and you'll find plenty to read up on..If you're planning on buying one, check with Grant at G&R Tactical, he'll at least go through his stock, and check the slide/barrel fit up, and get you one that's combat accurate. The problem as I see it, is that by the time one gets Apex trigger parts installed,( not always needed as the newer ones have been improved, and benefit greatly from a little polishing) and a fitted Storm Lake barrel,(and we're not figuring in sights, but stock sights will need replaced) you're into it past what something like a HK VP9 costs, and they don't need anything out of the box except better sights.. But, hey, it's not my money......And if yours is shooting fine, Great! carry on..

Omega Man
12-09-14, 00:15
My 2012 M&P FS 9mm is one of the most accurate 9mm pistols I've ever shot. It has an excellent trigger out of the box too.

lonnie1120
12-09-14, 08:28
With a join date in 2010...

I'm sorry, I like to peruse sites, but I'm not a keyboard commando....

mizer67
12-09-14, 10:59
The .40 S&W versions of the M&P were never the ones with serious accuracy issues. So this "redeems" nothing.

While I never found the .40's to be extremely accurate, they were no worse than say, Glocks in that caliber.

jayfl
12-09-14, 11:58
The .40 S&W versions of the M&P were never the ones with serious accuracy issues. So this "redeems" nothing.

While I never found the .40's to be extremely accurate, they were no worse than say, Glocks in that caliber.

I've seen a couple older M&P 40s with extremely loose barrel/slide fit and terrible accuracy so I think they had the same issue at some point in the past.

ritepath
12-09-14, 17:48
I have a friend that can bang the 100yd gong with him M&P 9mm pro every shot off hand. I take the same gun and maybe hit 5 of 10, the same figure I achieve with my CZ p-09...I need more practice.

alvincullumyork
12-09-14, 21:17
I'm sorry, I like to peruse sites, but I'm not a keyboard commando....

No need to apologize, just thought it was interesting, nothing else.

Hank6046
12-09-14, 22:39

I think it depends on the Indian not the arrow, My friend is a Cop and Carries a Glock 22, he is just as accurate with it as I am with the M&P 40, however, if we switch handguns we both shoot horribly. Its an interesting article, but the right gun for the right person makes a difference.

MegademiC
12-10-14, 09:32
I think it depends on the Indian not the arrow, My friend is a Cop and Carries a Glock 22, he is just as accurate with it as I am with the M&P 40, however, if we switch handguns we both shoot horribly. Its an interesting article, but the right gun for the right person makes a difference.

The 2 triggers(stock) are very different. I need to mentally orepare before shooting a glock or it thows my first few shots off. My mp40 is very accurate-sample of one, but i think the issue, if any, wad much more common with the 9. Awesome shot regardless of luck imo.