PDA

View Full Version : 1911 shooters: what gun has made you leave it behind?

theJanitor
06-26-08, 19:47
Question: Has a particular gun/model (in .45 cal) impressed you enough to leave the 1911?

i've had a dozen over the years, and i still have six of them, but i'm always tempted to try the hottest new model out there. what has been your experience?

tjcoker
06-26-08, 19:57
I'm not rich enough to setup my 1911's for duty dependability (Ie. sending them off to the best gunsmiths in the country). So, with a sad heart I sold two of my three and it appears I may have to keep my Kimber.

If I go back to 45 it will be a 21SF... I'd choose the M&P but in California you have to buy the neutered magazine disconnect version. I'm on the fence about whether or not I want to take out the safety and then risk a BS jury decision finding me as "unsafe".

I'd run 1911's if it wasn't for the cost and time involved in keeping them running right. I train to the tune of a modest 1500 rounds a month. Kids, work, wife, home, etc. take up most of my other spare time.

theJanitor
06-26-08, 20:01
i hear alot of raves about the M&P.

John_Wayne777
06-26-08, 20:03
Question: Has a particular gun/model (in .45 cal) impressed you enough to leave the 1911?

i've had a dozen over the years, and i still have six of them, but i'm always tempted to try the hottest new model out there. what has been your experience?

It's not a .45, but my 9mm M&P has pretty much put my trusty 1911 out to pasture.

Why? Since I had Dan Burwell do a trigger job on it my 9mm M&P is frankly about as easy to shoot as my custom 1911. It's also very reliable, I can mount a light to it, I can install whatever sights I want on it with no problem, and frankly if I have to shoot some scumbag with the weapon I won't be crying in my cheerios about my expensive pet handgun rotting in some police evidence room for the next 20 years. I'll just go out and buy another one.

I'm as big a fan of the 1911 as you'll find...but frankly these days unless you have an unlimited budget it just doesn't make as much sense as the more economical options out there.

When it comes to weapons for serious social purposes, I'm an agnostic. I want a tool that maximizes my (admittedly VERY LIMITED) potential. The 1911 is probably the easiest handgun in the world to shoot accurately under stress. I've been on a quest to find a weapon that offered that same advantage without the expensive and often finicky nature of the 1911.

In the M&P I believe I've found exactly what I was looking for. With light customization of the trigger the M&P turns into a SUPERBLY easy to shoot handgun.

bullitt5172
06-26-08, 20:19

Nothing, the Glock is the only other handgun I use. The 1911 does everything I want it to, I have yet to find a handgun that will outperform the 1911. Sometimes I fall into the trap of getting the latest and greatest (HK 45, MP 45) but they all get sold and I go back to the 1911.

nksmfamjp
06-26-08, 20:39
No way, my 1911 is too far out in front. I do my own work. There is no replacement available yet, IMO.

QuickStrike
06-27-08, 04:32
Yes, the M&P in .45 has caused me to sell my springfield PRO and I'm trying to sell my springfield loaded right now.

Will keep my SA milspec just cuz it was my first handgun and runs good (3K+ rounds).

ralph
06-27-08, 09:08
I've got 2 1911's a older Kimber (series I) and a older S.A. Milspec, both are great. I've also got a Sig p-220, another excellant firearm, but lately I've been shooting a XD 45..service model, 13rnds of 45 in a package that's not that big is impressive in it's own. So far it's been very reliable,accurate. The only things I've found about the XD is...1. they will not feed SWC type of bullets, just about any round nosed or truncated cone type of bullet will work. 2. The mag springs feel weak, I replaced mine with some that are 20% stronger, I've yet to get to the range to test drive these, but, I don't see a problem with them. Over at the Xd site others who have done the same thing have had no problems. This is the first plastic gun I've had, It feels alot like a 1911 to me, just lighter. I'll never go completly away from the 1911, It's a good platform but, there are other platforms that work just as well if not better, and the Xd may be one of them..

MarshallDodge
06-27-08, 09:25
No way, my 1911 is too far out in front. I do my own work. There is no replacement available yet, IMO.

+1 but if I had to it would probably be my Sig P220.

LDM
06-27-08, 10:07
I am probably another couple of hundred rounds through a S&W M&P 45 to finally say, but I can already tell the M&P 45 will likely end up as the go-to over my Springfield Mil-Spec (with steel tool replacement of key components).
An easy to do trigger job on the M&P gives you a very good trigger, which is a (or the?) critical advantage of the 1911.
Cost and ergonomics are big pluses for M&P.
Stay safe.

David Thomas
06-27-08, 10:15
Nothing, the Glock is the only other handgun I use. The 1911 does everything I want it to, I have yet to find a handgun that will outperform the 1911. Sometimes I fall into the trap of getting the latest and greatest (HK 45, MP 45) but they all get sold and I go back to the 1911.

This statement sums up my thoughts on the subject with 100% accuracy.

In order to get the latest, greatest 45 acp, I have tried HK, Glock, M&P, and a STI 2011. Nothing has come to the single stack 1911.

G34Shooter
06-27-08, 10:23
I've went back and forth from Glock with a USP,P226 and now a nice 1911... And though I'm keeping my fantastic 1911, my primary defensive and CCW handguns are going to be 9mm Glocks. I'm tuckered out looking for a new Arrow, and need to concentrate on the Indian :o

Dave L.
06-27-08, 10:24
I trust my life 100% to a Glock- but I would sure love to shoot someone with a 1911 :D

HK45
06-27-08, 10:37
HK .45!! I was never much of an HK guy until I bought a P30 and then an HK 45. I have a long history with the 1911.

The ergo's on the HkK.45 are excellent, it is very well made, and I can carry it locked and cocked.

I also like the Glock 21SF and M&P .45 but LOVE the HK 45.

theJanitor
06-27-08, 11:09
i didn't care much for the usp45. i've got a few different brand of handgun, but all in different calibers (229, 96g, k40, etc). but i always come back to the .45 and i'm the fastest/most accurate with the 1911.

i'm just trying to keep open minded about my equipment and not paint myself into a corner by not trying new things. maybe the M&P45 needs some serious consideration.

Ray T
06-27-08, 11:57
Glock 21 SF tuned and with a grip reduction. M&P 45 would be second choice.

5POINT56
06-27-08, 13:46
i didn't care much for the usp45.

I had a USP45 and dumped it a while ago, due to the blocky feel and the grips which I hated.

The HK45 I have now is a quantum leap from the USP's ergonomics. It is, by far, my favorite .45. If you haven't really checked them out, do yourself a favor and do that.

(Let me add that though I'm not a 1911 guy, the Wilson CQB I shot was about the easiest pointing, nicest shooting .45's Ive ever touched. I just don't care for all the stroking the majority of 1911's need to be considered truly reliable. I'm kooky like that, but like any other piece of machinery, they shouldn't leave the factory needing a DAMN THING...especially at the prices they command, and particularly a piece of machinery that ones life may depend on.)

I get that some people really understand and enjoy all the nuances of the 1911 platform. Hey, have at it...more for you. I'll be one less name on one of the multi-year waiting lists to get in your way. I'll take out of the box reliability any day over a potential primadona of a side arm. That has meant, to me, zero-regrets about my P220 & so far, my HK45.

<ok...begin the "BURN HIM!" chanting now>

DM-SC
06-27-08, 14:30
I'm just a gun guy. I've had periods when I did not own a 1911 but, it wasn't due to another gun beating the 1911.

I thought the M&P's (nice guns in 9mm & .45!) would keep me from wanting another 1911...then I bought another 1911! ;)

HK45
06-27-08, 14:40
I am referring to the HK 45 which has been out for maybe a year now not the USP which has been out for quite some time.

HK 45
http://www.hk-usa.com/hk45_general.html

USP .45
http://www.hk-usa.com/usp_general.html

I realize a whole lot of people like the M&P .45 but for me the HK 45 was a cut above and worth the extra $$ so my M&P's got sold off.

I did just buy a S&W 1911 btw. Very nice and a steal for the $$$.

i didn't care much for the usp45. i've got a few different brand of handgun, but all in different calibers (229, 96g, k40, etc). but i always come back to the .45 and i'm the fastest/most accurate with the 1911.

i'm just trying to keep open minded about my equipment and not paint myself into a corner by not trying new things. maybe the M&P45 needs some serious consideration.

UPSguy
06-27-08, 17:36
No matter what I try (lots of things) I always come back to the 1911. The M&P 9mm came the closest though.

old grunt
06-28-08, 08:06
I own 4 carry handguns. Two Colt 1911's: a Series 70 Gov't Model(done up nicely by the Gunsmithy out at Gunsite)and an Officer's Model that has been touched by Bill Wilson,Richard Hienie(just the rev.plug set-up),Dino from Siles in Manhattan and a FINAL quick trip to the Gunsmithy out in AZ. My other two handguns are Glocks, a 19 and 26. These were my duty and O/D back in New York. The ONLY thing done to the 19..Novak sights to match the 2 Colts and the extended(Glock)slidestop. That's it. The 26 has the e.s.s, but no Novaks yet. WHAT DO I CARRY YOU ASK?? The Glocks. Probably more due to force of habit then anything else. Once my job switched from 38 Spl revolvers to the Austrian tupperware that was my daily routine. Carry the 26 into work,suit up and strap on the 19. My Colts got the TLC, but rarely were carried.:( In all honesty a guy pulling anything but a Glock or stainless Smith 9mm in the City of New York....might get himself shot!! The Glock became an identifier when off-duty in civilian clothes. Now that I'm retired I gotta start packin' and SHOOTING my 2 Colts,especially that OM which I have my Wilson-Rogers mags, and Milt Sparks Summer Special for. It's a crying shame................................! I'd like to take that Larry Vickers 3(?)Day 1911 Operators Course NOT just for the shooting instruction, BUT the MAINTENANCE TIPS. I hear the course is great!!! That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!!:D

Matt Edwards
06-29-08, 00:28
Although I haven't put the 1911 out to pasture, for about the last 4 years I have been shooting/carrying/useing Glocks more often then anything else. Oddly enough, what has kept the 1911 hanging on was due to 2 1911 classes (Larry and Ken Hackathorne/Hilton Yam) Those were the last times I put a signifagant amount of rounds through a 1911 platform.

Old Grunt, If you go to Larry's class, be carefull, you will NEVER look at a 1911 the same way again. He joked that his 1911 operators class was really the "Glock appreciation course."
I first talked to him 3 summers ago before attending one of his classes. He advised me to get a Glock 19 and not look back. Luckily for me, I already had one...The same pistol is my primary. Even when attending "1911" classes, I always had it close at hand.

HK45
06-29-08, 07:50
Pretty interesting that LAV says that. I have heard he says it quite often. Does he recommend any Glock mods or pretty much stock? I don't change much on mine at all except sights.

I put 200 rounds through the Smith 1911 I bought yesterday. No issues and a very nice pistol especially for the minimal $$ it cost.

The HK P30 beats the Glock 19 on ergo's and I find it very accurate but the Glock has advantages of it's own like the trigger reset which I love and the ability to easily detail strip and replace parts yourself which is a huge advantage in my book.

nksmfamjp
06-29-08, 10:56
OK, I give in :D I do like my XD40 alot, but I don't like the grip size or it's width. I bought it because it fits in my bedside gun safe and has a rail for a light. It is reliable, accurate and easy to shoot, but no way I carry that beast!

I also really like my S&W 640. Great gun. Fit outfits which won't hold the 1911. Very accurate in slowfire. It is still hard to hit well rapid fire and is only a .357 hole in the BG.

1911 = 45 hole in BG. Fast and accurate rapid fire. Thin for carry. Comfortable grip. Thin mags for carry. Weakness: Ususally requires action tuning(1 time deal) and pretty grips break(need durable ugly grips like pachmyers)

ZDL
06-29-08, 11:23
The m&p seems to be a popular gun on this forum. I personally had no love for it. I spent about an hour with it and near 250 rounds and it just didn't impress me.

I'm fond of the XD and the sig series. I own others but those are the 2 that stick out in my mind right now as favorites. Believe it or not I like my cheap 24/7 pro by taurus too. It is what it is though.

I would be hard pressed to say any of them shoot better than my 1911's though.

Sidewinder6
06-29-08, 16:27
Finished the advanced pistol class with Ken Hackathorn recently and his explaination about the development and reliability of the HK 45 threw me over the line to decide to purchase one of these guns.

I respect the work that went into taking the best of several improvements from HK earlier designs to form a replacement for the 1911 that has high reliability and accuracy out of the box. Something the 1911 lacks until the custom shops add value to them.

I think the 1911 design is timeless and I have one that I will never upgrade or change that has been with me for ~3 decades and was a duty gun.

But, it is 2008 and technology has overtaken a timeless piece of history. I have had several HK's over the years but I must say that the full sized HK 45 took me by surprise and I am happy with mine. I am waiting on a decent holster and when that arrives, I am planning to use this in some classes Im scheduled for later this year and run it hard to get it well broken in.

YMMV. Some people like Ford, Some Chevy.

OD*
06-29-08, 22:57
Ditto.

sewvacman
06-29-08, 23:34
I sold my kimber and bought a glock in .45 gap. The round feels the same, and it's a bit lighter and smaller. I'm happy with it and keep it as home defense. I keep a snubby .38 taurus ultralight on me at work and am equally as happy. Though I've never had to use them I feel they will do the job with less bulk. My absolute favorite is an old '64 walther p38. I will be purchasing the springfield xd because it has the exact same point and shoot feel.

AR15AK47USER
06-30-08, 00:03
Though I own three 1911's I rarely ever carry any of them. The only one I use for carry is a Springfield GI champion I worked on. That one I only carry in the winter months when heavy clothing might prevent a 9mm from doing the job. My usual carry is a XD-9 or now a HK P7. I see no need for a .45 if a well placed 9mm will do the job just as well (at least with modern JHP defensive loads).

threefeathers
06-30-08, 11:59
The HK P2K in 357 Sig. Easy to carry IWB, extremly accurate, and it goes bang all them time. The bottleneck cartridge want to feed and it is the flattest shooting pistol round I've ever seen.

ST911
06-30-08, 12:09

It was the 1911 that caused me to abandon the 1911. I wanted to dive in, but I wanted extraordinary reliability, durability, minimal PM, at a low lifecycle and sustainment cost, and at a low initial and ultimate replacement cost. Not a combination found in that type.

uspopo
06-30-08, 14:57
My MP45 has come very close but it won't overshadow my Bob Rodgers/Chuck Rogers' custom Colt Govt.

Stan

IrishDevil
06-30-08, 19:14
Pretty interesting that LAV says that. I have heard he says it quite often. Does he recommend any Glock mods or pretty much stock? I don't change much on mine at all except sights.

I put 200 rounds through the Smith 1911 I bought yesterday. No issues and a very nice pistol especially for the minimal $$ it cost.

The HK P30 beats the Glock 19 on ergo's and I find it very accurate but the Glock has advantages of it's own like the trigger reset which I love and the ability to easily detail strip and replace parts yourself which is a huge advantage in my book.

LAV's advice the few times I've heard it about Glock's:

1. Get a Glock 17 or 19
2. Get rid of the slot filler's and put some real sights on it
3. Install his mag release from Tango Down
4. Put in a grip plug to keep out debri
5. Put the OEM extended slide stop in IF you are left handed

dbwebbsr
07-01-08, 09:45
M&P 45. The full size replaced my fave 1911 (a DW CBOB) for awhile.
I anticipate that the compact will take its place as well... ;)