PDA

View Full Version : Troy Offset Folding Sight Review

GH41
12-08-14, 17:55
I received the Troy offset folding sights today. $179.95 shipped from AIM. I had no problem with the shipment other than a 4 day delay getting them out due to the Black Friday backlog. I didn't expect anything less than an excellent product from Troy and they delivered. The fit and finish is the same as the popular Troy BUIS. When deployed there is a little back and forth movement but not enough to rattle. To answer a question raised in another thread... They are ambidextrous and fold to the rear when setup on either side. The piece that clamps on the rail is shipped unattached and has to be assembled for RH or LH used. The two pieces nest together and are held by a single screw. Solid and simple.
If you notice in the picture above the aluminum part that clamps on the rail is one piece if you don't count the screw. Slots are cut in it to allow it to flex slightly and grip the rail when the screw is tightened. My install was on a BCM upper with a KMR rail. Both of the sights fit very snug on the rails before installing the screw. If they had been any tighter I would have damaged the finish of the rails when installing them. BCM is good about keeping everything in spec but your mileage may very on other brands.
When mounted and folded the rear sight is close to the CH. Even with my BCM Gunfighter handle I normally cycle the handle with my thumb and forefinger. It's not happening with the sight folded. Fortunately my sights will only be folded when the rifle is cased. The sight will mount no further forward than the #2 slot before running into the shell deflector. This is not an issue in my application. When setup on the right side the button that unlocks and allows the sight to be folded is difficult to reach between the scope eyepiece and top of the receiver. Again, no problem for me. There is no situation that would require rapid folding down of the sight. Like the other Troy sights both flip up
without depressing the button.
The WML had to be removed from the HSP 1913 mount to install the front sight. No problem for me but other lights and mounts may be tighter. Neither will be removed from this rifle unless they break.
This is the sight picture through the small aperture. This is my first HK style front sight and I got it thinking the rounded wings make me faster with the iron at close range. A circle within a circle will be fast but it will force you to ignore the front circle and look at the post when engaging a distant target. If I intended to use these sights for precision shooting I would probably use the standard front sight.
Sight picture through the large aperture. With a little luck after sighting in just centering the front guard within the rear sight will put me a 3-4 inches or less from where I am aiming at 10-15 yards. Windage won't be the problem. Elevation might be. Not having to look for the post when engaging in your face targets is why I went with the HK front.
I am pleased with these sight so far but time will tell. The usual arguments will continue to be just that.. Arguments. Is locked up more likely to be damaged than free folding? Yes. Is free folding more likely to fold down by accident? Yes. Are fixed offsets a simpler solution? Not to me considering their bulk. Every decision involves compromise.

equilibrium
12-09-14, 16:28
Nice review. I was looking into offset sights due to the ACOG being fixed on the rail.

Eurodriver
12-09-14, 16:49
I have that same Meguiars Car Wash, but I can never get it to really lather up at all. Is yours the same way?

Nice sights.

GH41
12-09-14, 17:10
I have that same Meguiars Car Wash, but I can never get it to really lather up at all. Is yours the same way?

Nice sights.

Good eye! This can turn into a detailing thread quick! I am not a foam guy but I have been working on a unique foam gun. For me a car wash only needs to hold the dirt in suspension until I rinse it off. Maybe next review I'll put some Flex tools in the background to pique your interest. I hate to admit it but I have probably sent Autogeek more $$$ than all of the AR parts guys.

militarymoron
12-11-14, 21:49
I like chemical guys products myself. nice sights.

norcalsilverfox
12-12-14, 22:02
Thx OP good review...

daddyusmaximus
12-12-14, 23:16
This is my first HK style front sight and I got it thinking the rounded wings make me faster with the iron at close range. A circle within a circle will be fast but it will force you to ignore the front circle and look at the post when engaging a distant target. If I intended to use these sights for precision shooting I would probably use the standard front sight.

I just took my HK style sights off the one AR I had them on for this reason. I kept wanting to line up the circles... I probably could have left them on, no further than I can see to engage with irons... it just bugged me. I am starting to warm up to the idea of offset sights (I'll rarely use) with a better optic.

GH41
12-13-14, 07:03
Great review...just got a pair of them tonight (front post straight style) @ DSG Arms for $135.00. Now I'm really looking forward to them.

Could you put up a link? I am looking for another set and cannot find them on DSG's site. Thanks

norcalsilverfox
12-13-14, 13:02
...my bad missed the big "Troy"part... long night..lol

GH41
12-13-14, 15:26
^^^Absolutely. ..you have to login for pricing as it was in a member sale campaign email

https://dsgarms.com/mgbuspro-offset?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_content=MAGPUL%20MBUS%20Pro%20Offset%20Back-Up%20Front%20and%20Rear%20Sight%20Set&utm_campaign=Login%20For%20Holiday%20Deals

Link is for Magpul sights. We are talking about Troy sights here.

lunchbox
12-13-14, 15:38
Link is for Magpul sights. We are talking about Troy sights here.And vehicle detailing, nice review.

norcalsilverfox
12-13-14, 16:21
Link is for Magpul sights. We are talking about Troy sights here.
Disregard...