PDA

View Full Version : Trigger Job on Carry Gun?

PKendall317
12-09-14, 11:21
Anybody here do trigger work on their daily carry gun? Is this a good idea? I did the $0.25 trigger job on my G17 and love it and am debating doing the same to my G19 which is what I currently use for EDC. Also has anyone ever used the Ghost Inc. connectors in their Glocks?

Letzgoracin301
12-09-14, 12:21
I try to keep my carry guns around 4 lbs. Just personal preference.

4DAIVI PAI2K5
12-09-14, 12:47
I have the DECAK in my M&P. The weight is still around 5.5 according to Grant. I wouldn't take it under what the minimum factory trigger would be just for worst case court case reasons.

T2C
12-09-14, 13:02
I like 5.5# triggers on striker fired pistols and 4.5# triggers on 1911 pistols. After a few thousand rounds, my Glock triggers smooth out and I don't touch them. I would rather have a smoother 5.5# trigger than a lighter trigger.

A good gunsmith can clean up a trigger. As long as you don't make any modification that has an effect on the safety of the firearm, you should be good to go. If you lighten the trigger weight from factory, would a reasonable person believe it changes the safety level of the firearm? That is the acid test if something goes wrong.

Talon167
12-09-14, 13:51
Anybody here do trigger work on their daily carry gun? Is this a good idea? I did the $0.25 trigger job on my G17 and love it and am debating doing the same to my G19 which is what I currently use for EDC. Also has anyone ever used the Ghost Inc. connectors in their Glocks?

Honestly, even if you're concerned about a lawyer coming after you for a modified trigger, I would say the $.25 trigger job is still OEM. You're not changing anything, just 'cleaning' it a little.

tonyxcom
12-09-14, 13:51
As long as you are claiming self defense (you are admitting to shooting the person on purpose), then I don't see how a trigger job can effectively be used against you. There are plenty of other reasons not to have a "hair trigger" in a carry gun though.

opmike
12-09-14, 14:36
The only real minimum requirements I have for a carry trigger are that it be as reliable as OEM, that it retains any and all safety mechanisms, that it meets my weight requirements. Any "trigger job" that satisfies those conditions is usually fair game for me.

T2C
12-09-14, 15:41
As long as you are claiming self defense (you are admitting to shooting the person on purpose), then I don't see how a trigger job can effectively be used against you. There are plenty of other reasons not to have a "hair trigger" in a carry gun though.

I agree. If nothing goes wrong, it should be a non-issue. Your perception that nothing has gone wrong may not coincide with the opinion of a charging attorney, that would depend on where the incident occurred.

If I were being investigated for a shooting incident, I would not speak about a light trigger job unless asked and then only in the presence of my attorney.

There are a lot of people carrying 4.5#-5.5# triggers and a few of them are documented performing well under stress.

PKendall317
12-09-14, 17:24
I don't have a gauge to measure the trigger pull on my G17 but it doesn't feel lighter per se, just smoother, but I"m fairly certain it's close to the factory 5.5#. I wouldn't go below 4.5-5# on a carry gun.

You know on every gun forum at least one person insists that if you make any trigger modifications you're asking for a lawsuit or for a jury to find you guilty. Yet nobody who makes these claims has ever been able to cite an example someone being prosecuted based on a trigger modification either in full or partially. If anyone can find a such a case I'd be interested to see it.

shrewd yasu
12-09-14, 18:02
I popped in a minus connector for the g19, and a few cgw springs for the cz, and they were smoother and I shot them better.

Works for me

Renegade
12-09-14, 18:17
I shoot the stock G19 just fine and do not see any need to tapco it.

davidz71
12-09-14, 23:08
As a Glock Armorer, I hated the stock 5.5 lb. trigger on my Glock 22 gen 4. Heck, the gen 3 models in our armory had sweet triggers and this thing seemed like a 7 lb. trigger. The 25 cent trigger job (polish) and installation of a Ghost Rocket 3.5 trigger matched those well worn triggers. I'm happy with that combination. I also put in a Powder River Precision trigger in my Springfield XD40 and it helped immensely. My custom Colt Commander and Colt Gold Cup sport 4 lb. triggers. I've always heard that 4 lb. is minimum for a carry gun for safety reasons and it works for me.

Uni-Vibe
12-09-14, 23:14

This. Ask a criminal lawyer. If you're justified in shooting, it doesn't matter what kind of gun, what kind of ammo, what the trigger was like, etc.

PKendall317
12-10-14, 01:32
This. Ask a criminal lawyer. If you're justified in shooting, it doesn't matter what kind of gun, what kind of ammo, what the trigger was like, etc.

That's what I've always thought on the subject. This whole myth about having a trigger job or this or that kind of ammo getting you prosecuted for a self defense shooting needs to die unless someone can cite an example of it actually happening.

black22rifle
12-10-14, 01:36
self defense = self defense regardless of trigger job.

Alpha Sierra
12-10-14, 03:59
That's what I've always thought on the subject. This whole myth about having a trigger job or this or that kind of ammo getting you prosecuted for a self defense shooting needs to die unless someone can cite an example of it actually happening.
Oh oh, queue the Ayoob nuthuggers in 3, 2, 1....

GO_ALLOUT
12-11-14, 07:27
PRP in my XDS.45(which is my edc) and helped a lot...especially after the recall, had the stock trigger in my G17 cleaned up and also had a trigger job done in my 1911...none are below 4 lbs though...i prefer cleaning up the pre and post travel more than the weight...

T2C
12-11-14, 08:48
If a trigger job will help you shoot more accurately under stress, then by all means get a trigger job.

Personally, I never needed a trigger job on a carry gun. I buy a pistol that has a 4.5# to 5.5# trigger pull and shoot it. After a few thousand rounds the trigger is as smooth as I need for defensive purposes.

Slab
12-11-14, 16:33
Dropped a lighter disconnect in the 19 and didn't like it, went "squishy" (technical term). Plan B, polished factory and REALLY liked it. Lightened it up a bit but stayed "crisp-ish"... For me, helped but not required, none of my other polymer wonders have been touched, that way... Alpha Sierra pinged the most likely source...

tonyxcom
12-11-14, 17:52
If your 19 is a Gen3 try a dot connector from a gen 4. They are lighter without the sponginess of the minus.

samuse
12-11-14, 18:31
Hell yes.

I have a complete Cylinder and Slide FCG tuned to a very nice 4 1/2lbs in my Lightweight Gov't. All Series 80 stuff unmodified, intact, and functional.

Slab
12-11-14, 18:37
If your 19 is a Gen3 try a dot connector from a gen 4. They are lighter without the sponginess of the minus.

I'll give it a shot, Thanks!

Sparky5019
12-13-14, 18:23
My EDC G19 has the same trigger setup as my competition G17; I'm used to it and that way the subconscious will execute the same way.

Ghost EvoElite connector with shortened pre travel factory smooth trigger and bar with Zev springs; everything completely polished and smooth.

FromMyColdDeadHand
12-15-14, 02:37
I thought the 'hair trigger' thing in shoots was more about cops. If a CCWer pulls his gun, he is most likely going to use it. Cops pull their guns more when they aren't going to shoot, and before trigger outside of the trigger guard was common, the lawyers for the shootee could say that the shooter cop didn't mean to shoot, and is making up a story about their client to justify the shooting.

I can't cite a source for this, just my recollection of what some said to me.

Trigger job? I'm thinking that they'll go after my RMR and X300 before the get to the trigger issues. That and spare magazine I might have on me.

Averageman
12-15-14, 06:27
This will never die, it fuels paranoia and sells gun magazines.

Kotuku
12-15-14, 08:12

:agree:
100% agree

M&P15T
12-19-14, 13:54

Damn straight. I have been involved in these debates for years. I always ask someone to post an example of a civilian shooter's modified firearm being a point of contention in a courtroom. I have yet to get a reply back.

HKGuns
12-19-14, 14:01
I don't mess with factory guns, as a general rule, regardless of whether I carry. It is a reliability thing for me, not out of concern for lawsuits.

SeriousStudent
12-19-14, 21:51
You kids these days, with your polymer pistols.......

Before Gaston came out with his Vundernine, EVERYBODY got a trigger job on their carry pistol. It was a well-known fact that you were risking death, dismemberment, and male pattern baldness if you carried a stock trigger. That was the main topic of conversation: "Who did the carry package on your 1911, Billy Ray?"

My, how the world changes.....

ballyhoo1
01-03-15, 18:06
I have investigated LEO shootings and non LEO shootings that were found to both justified and non justified. In all cases the guns are kept as evidence until the case is adjudicated. A firearms trigger pull weight has never been discussed or been a factor in any of these criminal cases. The firearm is inspected by the PDs armorer if it's a LEO gun. If the gun belongs to the department it can't have any alterations that are not approved. This does not hurt the criminal case but could have some implications in a civil case. It's then sent to the local crime lab where it is test fired. As said by others, it's the justification for the use of deadly force, including the justification for EVERY round fired that counts.

MegademiC
01-03-15, 21:59
As long as it's mechanically safe, do what you want. I have no reservation about carrying a non stock trigger, as long as it's not no safety features are disabled.

Czs can be smoothed out by removing the fp block, but I would never carry one like that.

MorphCross
01-03-15, 22:18
DCAEK along with AEK trigger on my EDC. Doesn't do too much to the weight but it makes the pistol group over the x that much easier for me.

paperchasin
01-04-15, 10:41
DCAEK along with AEK trigger on my EDC. Doesn't do too much to the weight but it makes the pistol group over the x that much easier for me.
Same here.

bighawk
01-08-15, 16:55
Tactical Texture and Triggers did a carry trigger job on my G19 when he was doing the frame.

Polished all the trigger parts for me and it's very smooth with a positive reset while still retaining all factory parts.

In my M&P I put an apex FSS Trigger kit in and while its a bit light for me with less of a positive reset it has greatly improved my accuracy and is a great upgrade

drg6654
01-08-15, 19:21
Anyone deal with OCCUSTOMTRIGGERS?

RWH24
01-10-15, 13:11
Back in the 70's when revolvers or 1911's were the most carried duty guns, it was preached not to do anything to the trigger on a duty gun. You would be crucified for a "HAIR Trigger" in court. My S&W mod 28 was factory trigger and shot smooth action.
My off duty 1911 was a Series 70 Govt model with polished parts, nothing done to sear or hammer. Later when issued Sig 226's, nothing was allowed to be done to internals except cleaned and lubed.
Now, my M&P's have APEX duty carry kits in them. It's what I want in a trigger for me.
Grant polished the internals before shipping the pistols to me.

tonyxcom
01-10-15, 13:28
Anyone deal with OCCUSTOMTRIGGERS?

Those are the guys with the "Glockmade" trigger or something? I've seen plenty of forums posts about them. Nothing bad that I can recall. They've also liked a bunch of my Instagram pics :)

I'd probably try one myself for the price but I don't believe them to be Production or SSP legal.

drg6654
01-10-15, 19:19
Those are the guys with the "Glockmade" trigger or something? I've seen plenty of forums posts about them. Nothing bad that I can recall. They've also liked a bunch of my Instagram pics :)

I'd probably try one myself for the price but I don't believe them to be Production or SSP legal.

Thanks for the info!!

urbantactic
01-11-15, 14:00

Same here. I prefer the polymer AEK.