PDA

View Full Version : Will ammo be affected by an EMP?

Doc. Holiday
12-09-14, 11:34
Will ammo be affected by an emp by setting any primers off? If so, what can be done?

Hmac
12-09-14, 11:41
I vote no. No possible way.

Ryno12
12-09-14, 11:49
Nope...

markm
12-09-14, 11:49
No chance.

Doc. Holiday
12-09-14, 11:54
Good to know. I didn't know if it would cause a spark and set them off or something. What are you guys currently doing to protect your electronic devices in case it happens? (Red dots, flash drives, walkie talkies, radio, etc)

scooter22
12-09-14, 11:58
No, but the tinfoil might.

Mr blasty
12-09-14, 11:58
Absolutely nothing. Government testing in the 60's proved it to be a non issue. Communications will be nocked out until repaired but other than advanced electronics not much will be effected

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Doc. Holiday
12-09-14, 11:59
No, but the tinfoil might.

I was told that tinfoil isn't enough and in order to have something be EMP safe, layers of various materials are needed.

Ryno12
12-09-14, 12:00
Good to know. I didn't know if it would cause a spark and set them off or something. What are you guys currently doing to protect your electronic devices in case it happens? (Red dots, flash drives, walkie talkies, radio, etc)

I keep it surrounded by ammo.

:sarcastic:

Hmac
12-09-14, 12:18
I was told that tinfoil isn't enough and in order to have something be EMP safe, layers of various materials are needed.

He might have been talking about tinfoil as a beanie.

"They" do talk about a makeshift Faraday cage for that kind of protection. That info mostly available on various prepper forums and blogs. http://www.thesurvivalistblog.net/build-your-own-faraday-cage-heres-how/

uffdaphil
12-09-14, 13:47
I don't bother trying to protect my electronics. Red dots may be toast, but Trijicon will see me through. The biggest EMP effect will be to make me rich with my ammo and 30s-40s boatanchor (tube shortwave) collection. At least until a bigger gang takes it away.

One of the scenarios that make me glad to be an old codger now.

Slab
12-11-14, 17:21
Beanie and cup... I'm just sayin

Doc Safari
12-11-14, 17:23
Something tells me that when the "big ones" start falling on us we'll be more worried about our balls glowing in the dark than whether or not our Aimpoint works.

sevenhelmet
12-11-14, 17:36
EMP works more or less like a really strong solar flare. It will take down the comms and power grid, but anything not plugged into a wall socket will probably be fine. Ammo will just sit there- the energy density required to light-off a primer would also cook you alive. Metal containers also act as Faraday cages, so anything inside ammo cans or other metal containers might have some degree of additional protection.

That being said, the implications of an actual EMP being what they are, I can imagine things like ammo and personal gadgets will fall into the "OBE" category. I personally don't consider it a threat worth specifically "preparing" for.

Mr blasty
12-11-14, 17:40
EMP works more or less like a really strong solar flare. It will take down the comms and power grid, but anything not plugged into a wall socket will probably be fine. Ammo will just sit there- the energy density required to light-off a primer would also cook you alive. Metal containers also act as Faraday cages, so anything inside ammo cans or other metal containers might have some degree of additional protection.

That being said, the implications of an actual EMP being what they are, I can imagine things like ammo and personal gadgets will fall into the "OBE" category. I personally don't consider it a threat worth specifically "preparing" for.

THANK YOU! So tired of the misinformation on emp's!

Doc. Holiday
12-11-14, 18:15
Cool great information. Thanks guys. I know very little about EMPs.

Mr blasty
12-11-14, 18:25
Cool great information. Thanks guys. I know very little about EMPs.

There's a great documentary on America's atmospheric testing of nukes on YouTube. I'll see if I can find it for you.

Mr blasty
12-11-14, 18:27
http://youtu.be/_AJPpHnBJiY

12-18-14, 15:23
Electronics DO NOT need to be plugged in be affected. The EMP/solar flare/HEMP, etc., will "energize" (for lack of a better term) metal objects. This in turn is where the damage occurs by frying the electronics. There is some really, really scary research that has been presented to Congress, and its committees, regarding this. I am not talking about the BS on the web, but actual true scientific research from major universities. The scariness factor is probably why it doesn't ever make the news.

Cuda444
12-19-14, 10:25
Electronics DO NOT need to be plugged in be affected. The EMP/solar flare/HEMP, etc., will "energize" (for lack of a better term) metal objects. This in turn is where the damage occurs by frying the electronics. There is some really, really scary research that has been presented to Congress, and its committees, regarding this. I am not talking about the BS on the web, but actual true scientific research from major universities. The scariness factor is probably why it doesn't ever make the news.

Do you have any cites about this?

I know it's been presented, and I'm not calling you a liar. I'd just like to better educate myself on the matter.

Thanks.

HKGuns
12-19-14, 10:45
Electronics DO NOT need to be plugged in be affected.

This is indeed the case and one of the reasons critical electronics are shielded to prevent EMP damage.

It really isn't a complex topic. Think about the production of electricity for example........

And no, it is borderline silly to suggest ammo would be affected.

Doc. Holiday
12-19-14, 10:55
This is indeed the case and one of the reasons critical electronics are shielded to prevent EMP damage.

It really isn't a complex topic. Think about the production of electricity for example........

And no, it is borderline silly to suggest ammo would be affected.

Sorry for coming off as "Silly". Like I said, I don't know how an EMP would effect things so instead of being a "keyboard hero" and making crap up when in all reality I don't have a clue, I come hoping to find an answer from those who know more than I do on this topic. Sorry if your intelligence was insulted....

HKGuns
12-19-14, 13:54
Sorry for coming off as "Silly". Like I said, I don't know how an EMP would effect things so instead of being a "keyboard hero" and making crap up when in all reality I don't have a clue, I come hoping to find an answer from those who know more than I do on this topic. Sorry if your intelligence was insulted....

Was not calling you silly......I assumed you read it somewhere so please don't be offended.

Doc. Holiday
12-19-14, 14:04
Oh, I apologize for my comment then. Thanks for clarifying.

HKGuns
12-19-14, 14:19
Completely understand how you read it that way.......

12-19-14, 14:25

I know it's been presented, and I'm not calling you a liar. I'd just like to better educate myself on the matter.

Thanks.

Give me a day or so to post some info. Really busy.

Koshinn
12-19-14, 14:30
An emp hit Hawaii from us testing in the south pacific. I'll try dig something up.

sevenhelmet
12-19-14, 14:46
This article is pretty good for some info, especially with respect to the effects, and the why of it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_electromagnetic_pulse

Allen
12-19-14, 14:59

Thanks.
This should get you started until 6933 can get back to us:
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-07-29/most-significant-danger-according-elliotts-paul-singer
http://www.zerohedge.com/contributed/2014-04-09/will-we-demand-inexpensive-fix-which-will-prevent-armageddon-%E2%80%A6-or-focus-over-

Allen

Cuda444
12-19-14, 22:37
Thank you, gents!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

09fatbob
01-07-15, 11:23
Military did lots of testing in late 70's and 80's...no on ammo will not effect it