PDA

View Full Version : Survey on handgun carry positions

GJM
12-10-14, 06:24
I am trying to gather data on whether people who currently use appendix as a carry position, also currently use a holster in another position for carry or training.

Please answer:

1) Yes, I carry in the appendix position exclusively, if you carry in the appendix position exclusively, and do not train or carry out of a holster in another position.

or

2) No, if you sometimes carry in the appendix position, but also carry or train with a holster in another position besides the appendix position.

Please list the holster you most commonly use for appendix and otherwise as appropriate.

MegademiC
12-10-14, 07:46
I carry aiwb exclusively, and train iwb appendix exclusively, but train owb at 3-4 oclock.

4DAIVI PAI2K5
12-10-14, 07:50
AWIB only unless I put the first line belt on. When I go to a class I do run it from concealment also, unless its a rifle class then the first line belt is used.

Trajan
12-10-14, 07:51
AIWB exclusively.

Exception: Blade-tech OWB very rarely for the occasional game (mostly use AIWB for that too). But I don't train or carry that way.

I also pretty much only use my Dark Star Gear G34 AIWB anymore.

WillBrink
12-10-14, 08:34
Where's the "I don't carry appendix carry" option?

OWB most of the time, IWB rarely.

Alpha Sierra
12-10-14, 08:59

+1 except my methods are reversed. IWB most of the time, OWB rarely.

m4fun
12-10-14, 09:19

Ditto on that one...its not for everyone for certain.

CAVDOC
12-10-14, 09:52
Definitely agree on the not for everyone comment. If you are not rail thin and you are sitting a lot appendix just doesn't work at least for me. I would actually do cross draw before I would tolerate appendix. I use high quality belts and holster but find strong side about 4 o clock still best. I tend to think of appendix as a sort of fad. Not to disparGe those for whom it works. It is sort of like comparing the "modern isosceles " to the "old school weaver" either one can do the job with proper practice and application

jmoore
12-10-14, 11:30
Ditto on that one...its not for everyone for certain.

Double Ditto:) OWB 3-4, but I've worn Hawaiian shirts for decades before the Republik of Illinois allowed their bastardized version of CCW.
john

punkey71
12-10-14, 12:36
Carry, train and compete in USPSA AIWB.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

okie john
12-10-14, 15:49
+1 except my methods are reversed. IWB most of the time, OWB rarely.

This.

Dale Fricke Archangel for carry without a WML, Raven Phantom when the X300 is involved. Both at 2:30 to 3:00. May get another Phantom for non-WML carry and move away from the Archangel.

Okie John

littlejerry
12-10-14, 20:42
Carry aiwb with JMCK + Glock 19.

Compete, as required, with OWB comp tac holster(IDPA, USPSA production)

Prefer to run AIWB when allowed.

friendlyfireisnt
12-10-14, 21:05
I like AIWB because it conceals very well in certain types of clothes. When I do, it's in a high noon holster with my CZ P-07 because I only AIWB carry a pistol that has either a exposed hammer or a manual safety, or both.

I sometimes OWB carry when I am home. For that, it's a M&P9 fullsize, with a wml in a Bravo Concealment holster at 3:00.

I sometimes prefer my P-07 IWB at 3:30-4:00, in which case, it's in a zero-2-hero concepts holster. Sometimes carry that combo OWB as well.

Basically, I carry OWB when I can get away with it. I carry IWB when I need to. I carry AIWB when I can't get away with carrying at 3:30 due to clothes or location.

HKGuns
12-10-14, 21:42
OWB 4:00 ALWAYS and unlike the Kool kids, I have no idea what appendix even means.

NoDakRoughrider
12-10-14, 21:43
I always carry appendix, train for it live it.

William B.
12-11-14, 17:00
All of my handgun training and carry is done from the AIWB position. I use a Per-Sec SPEAR for my G19 and occasionally an F3 Holsters Foxtrot if I'm carrying my Ruger LCP.

Slab
12-11-14, 17:44
Summer-AIWB (Contact Concealment) and Winter-OWB 3 o’clock (Raven Phantom with X300-it can be dark here.)

NoDakRoughrider
12-11-14, 20:36
I carry AIWB, I carry an XD.45ACP in a triple K Straight drop holster. If I were a chick I would be +size hottie. I own a Glock 17 and an M&P, but I prefer the XD platform for the beaver tail safety, super gold dots pointed at my junk and femoral artery deserves an extra level of safety. I have had SA do their combat trigger job and hand fit the barrel to slide interface. It's very accurate and reliable, the only pistol I would carry next to my balls.

Shao
12-12-14, 06:56
I carry my 1911 AIWB (Garret Industries AIWB holster), my P238 IWB strong side ~5 o'clock (N82 pro holster), and my J-frame in a Galco Ankle Glove.

Not at the same time usually. I tend to stick to my 1911 and alternate between my P238 and J-frame as a backup.

domestique
12-12-14, 08:31
I voted appendix carry exclusively.

But....

I carry a pocket pistol in my weak side left pocket occasionally, when I backpack my Glock 20 rides on a Safe Packer on my backpack belt, when taking classes (non ccw related) I run my pistol at 3 o'clock on a VTAC belt.

daddyusmaximus
12-12-14, 09:04
Nope... too fat. OWB 3 o'clock.

grnamin
12-12-14, 09:41
I carry AIWB exclusively, train with both 3 o'clock and AIWB and made my own Kydex holster.

http://naminfamily.smugmug.com/photos/i-LnqDSZZ/0/XL/i-LnqDSZZ-XL.jpg

I lined the lip of the holster with an orange marker to help locate the opening while re-holstering.

domestique
12-12-14, 09:43
I carry AIWB exclusively, train with both 3 o'clock and AIWB and made my own Kydex holster.

I lined the lip of the holster with an orange marker to help locate the opening while re-holstering.

I'm going to steal the orange marker idea. Thanks!

Shao
12-12-14, 10:24

Nice work! Looks like my Garrett without the leather lining. Maybe I'm too skinny, but I can't imagine AIWB carrying a Glock. My Sig RCS barely fits comfortably.

So apparently you need a little gut to carry big, but if your gut is too large, AIWB carry doesn't work???

Trajan
12-12-14, 11:12
Nice work! Looks like my Garrett without the leather lining. Maybe I'm too skinny, but I can't imagine AIWB carrying a Glock. My Sig RCS barely fits comfortably.

So apparently you need a little gut to carry big, but if your gut is too large, AIWB carry doesn't work???

No.

I AIWBed a G17 when I was 200ish with a VG2.

I currently AIWB a G19 in a Dark Star Gear G34 holster in size 30.

The only issue skinnier guys run into is having a weird hourglass thing going on where your midsection is noticeably smaller than your waist. That, and when the grip goes even or further than the hips. Hence why I can't conceal a G17 anymore.

Chipper78
12-12-14, 13:09
I've tried AIWB my CZ-P07 but i can't make it work for driving or sitting. It digs into my gut and the inside of my thigh, so I carry IWB strong side at the five o'clock position. On the rare occasion I carry my LCP it is AIWB. for the CZ concealment is easy in both positions. I'm a small dude at 5'7" and 165, fwiw.

Shao
12-12-14, 13:20
No.

I AIWBed a G17 when I was 200ish with a VG2.

I currently AIWB a G19 in a Dark Star Gear G34 holster in size 30.

The only issue skinnier guys run into is having a weird hourglass thing going on where your midsection is noticeably smaller than your waist. That, and when the grip goes even or further than the hips. Hence why I can't conceal a G17 anymore.

How tall are you though? I just weighed myself and I'm 189. I'm 6'1 and have like zero body fat so although I'm skinny, I do have muscle mass. I wear 30 waist, 32 inseam now and I still can't imagine doing the Glock thing. I surmise that it's all about body proportions. I'm in pretty good shape with the v shaped upper torso that chicks dig (LOL, but seriously) but a Commander length slide 1911 is the most I can conceal AIWB without feeling like a cripple every time I go to sit down or stand up.

Trajan
12-12-14, 14:42
I've tried AIWB my CZ-P07 but i can't make it work for driving or sitting. It digs into my gut and the inside of my thigh, so I carry IWB strong side at the five o'clock position. On the rare occasion I carry my LCP it is AIWB. for the CZ concealment is easy in both positions. I'm a small dude at 5'7" and 165, fwiw.
Might be the beaver tail. Another reason I like striker guns.

How tall are you though? I just weighed myself and I'm 189. I'm 6'1 and have like zero body fat so although I'm skinny, I do have muscle mass. I wear 30 waist, 32 inseam now and I still can't imagine doing the Glock thing. I surmise that it's all about body proportions. I'm in pretty good shape with the v shaped upper torso that chicks dig (LOL, but seriously) but a Commander length slide 1911 is the most I can conceal AIWB without feeling like a cripple every time I go to sit down or stand up.
I'm 5'11", same inseam, 168lbs, 10%ish BF (can see 6 of my abs), genetically well off.

Put the gun in your pelvic crease.

MegademiC
12-12-14, 15:01

Im 6' 170lbs. Aiwb is the only way i can conceal a fullsized gun(mpfs), and still dress decent.

1911-A1
12-12-14, 15:53
I switched to AIWB after carrying at 4 o'clock IWB gave me back problems. IWB is much faster and easier to conceal, but can be more uncomfortable, especially when seated or bending over.

Linea_de_Fuego
12-12-14, 15:57
I use AIWB with my M&P 9c in a Comp-Tac Infidel. It will work for both AIWB and strong side 5:00 position. It digs into my gut and the inside of my thigh some but the concealment and presentation is so much better at AIWB. I'm around 5'8" and 177 but 10 pounds lighter would be better.

superr.stu
12-12-14, 16:53
AIWB with Dale Frick Archangel for my M&P. AIWB with lobo gun leather for my revolvers. If I'm working around the house, or doing something outdoorsy usually 3:00 with a Safariland ALS.

Stengun
12-13-14, 20:38
Howdy,

I've tried to IWB carry but it's not for me. I've carried for over 32 years and OWB @ 3:00 works for me.

Paul

titsonritz
12-14-14, 04:00
AIWB with a Glock 19 in a Dale Fricke Archangel but when using a WML I go OWB in a RCS Phantom. Also been know to use J-frame in a Kramer pocket holster.

brianc3
12-14-14, 08:32
IWB or OWB at 3-4 oclock. Tried AIWB and just don't like it.

4DAIVI PAI2K5
12-14-14, 08:33

Im a big boy 6'2" #230 and carry a G17 everyday. I think my gut does help conceal it some tho.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7468/15033835234_5dc3021ed4_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/oUukrL)g17 (https://flic.kr/p/oUukrL) by 4DAIVIPAI2K5 (https://www.flickr.com/people/40500049@N08/), on Flickr
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7473/15940086471_7e00093695_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/qhz7n6)2014-12-03_09-07-42 (https://flic.kr/p/qhz7n6) by 4DAIVIPAI2K5 (https://www.flickr.com/people/40500049@N08/), on Flickr

AKDoug
12-14-14, 14:34
Another too fat guy... OWB @3:30 o'clock. I'm blessed with a lifestyle that doesn't require me to wear a tucked in shirt or a tie (don't even own one). When life deals me a bad hand and I have to go formal I still carry the same, with a sportcoat over the OWB. Even if I got skinny, I can't imagine being able to use AIWB with the amount of driving and desk duty I do.

Lost River
12-14-14, 17:14
Pretty much never AIWB. BTDT.
OWB vast majority, IWB in the hottest shorts/T-shirt weather.

Pocket carry the BUG on non dominate side.

HCrum87hc
12-15-14, 07:28
Never AIWB carry. About 80% of the time, I pocket carry. The other 20% I carry IWB at 4:00 with a Stealthgear USA Onyx. Great holster.

Kotuku
12-15-14, 08:01
I switched to AIWB after carrying at 4 o'clock IWB gave me back problems. IWB is much faster and easier to conceal, but can be more uncomfortable, especially when seated or bending over.

Agree 100%. IWB at 4-5 o'clock is really difficult when seated. AIWB is much better.

gunnut284
12-16-14, 09:40
I carry at 3-3:30 exclusively, whether it's IWB/OWB. Only exception is occasional ankle or pocket carry. Or a belly band when jogging.

maxsss
12-17-14, 13:56
I cannot stand AIWB. I've tried it on several occasions and it is just not comfortable, to me.

Most of the time I go the OWB route with a longer jacket. If I need to conceal a little more, I'll go IWB at the 3:30-4:00 position.

MJLman
12-17-14, 18:45
AIWB G-Code Incog for EDC
3 o'clock RCS Phantom LC for range fun