View Full Version : MP5 mag refinish

JoshNC
12-10-14, 08:25
I have a bunch of factory HK mp5 mags and it is almost laughable their tendency to rust. I wipe them down with an oiled cloth after use and store them in a climate controlled room. And yet I still find rust starting. A wrong look at these mags seems to induce rust.

So, I want to have them refinished. I would appreciate recommendations on the type of finish. Several mags that came with my SP89 purchased second hand were so rusty that I had them blasted and phosphated. I don't want to phosphate any more and am interested in some of the next gen finishes...ie ionbond, some of the robar finishes, etc. I want a durable corrosion resistant, wear resistant, matte black finish.

Thanks in advance.

Henchman
12-10-14, 08:50
Try having them Cerakoted. I've done it with 1911 magazines and they hold up well.

Joe R.
12-10-14, 12:10
Wax them, yes...wax. Back in the old days we would put a light coat of wax on them to help prevent rust. Any of the spray and bake finishes should help. Short of that use a good rust preventative and stay on top of them.

JoshNC
12-10-14, 13:13
Thanks, any specific wax? On a side note, I can't imagine mp5 mags surviving a swim in salt water with as fragile a finish as I've encountered.

Kain
12-10-14, 13:32
Wax them, yes...wax. Back in the old days we would put a light coat of wax on them to help prevent rust. Any of the spray and bake finishes should help. Short of that use a good rust preventative and stay on top of them.

Interesting. Hadn't thought of that.

For the firearms that I don't shoot much and are prone to trying to rust I will often clean well, wipe down and then give a light coating of gun grease, a la Slip 2K since I have several jars. Seems to do the trick in keeping them rust free and what not. Figure not much different than using cosmoline to store a gun, and the guns I've used that have been stored for deacdes in that crap I don't think can rust anymore. Also, know at least one person who used vasaline in the same way and has not had issues.

MBtech
12-10-14, 14:05
robarguns.com ? I would look at them, esp Np3 and Np3 plus. Little on the pricey side but they do good work. My best friend has everyone of his pistols and mags coated with it.

http://robarguns.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Robar-Price-list-January-29-2014.pdf

interfan
12-10-14, 14:22
Here's what I did to refinish some rusty MP5 mags and other parts:
1. After media blasting (I used very fine abrasive since the rust was just on the surface and wanted some "teeth" for coating adhesion, but didn't want to introduce any texture to the metal).
2. I dipped them in a black oxide finish (I used this kit: http://www.eastwood.com/metal-blackening-system-set.html. The container that they ship for dipping is just about 1" too shallow, so I just used a larger flat plastic bin.)
3. Then I sprayed them with Brownells bake-on black teflon paint (http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/metal-prep-coloring/paint-finishes/bake-on-aerosol-paints/teflon-moly-oven-cure-gun-finish-prod1145.aspx).
4. Once the paint had cured for a few weeks (I think the instructions say it takes something like 2-3 weeks to get a full final cure), I waxed my refinished mags inside and out to prevent future rust. The wax gave the flat finish a little sheen to look like the original matte with a tiny bit of shine that was original. It has been around two years since they were refinished and so far, no rust on the mag bodies.

These are old mags that are kept in the garage at my house in California that is right across the street from the beach (pre-2000 mag ban crap), not in dry rust-free Las Vegas. Salt air makes everything rust a bit there, and found that a coating of car wax twice a year helps on anything metal that is painted or plated and outside (like the front door hardware, gates, etc.)

Ouroborous
12-11-14, 00:15
Hit T. Mark Graham up over at www.arizonaresponsesystems.com

He's a licensed HK refinisher and will get those mags looking new no prob.

I've got a Saiga over at his place getting a conversion and Metalcol refinish myself.

Joe R.
12-11-14, 10:20
JoshNC, there was a time when you could buy gun specific wax, I may even still have some around...somewhere...but I haven't seen any in years. Short of that any car wax will work.

Chubbs103
12-11-14, 10:41
JoshNC, there was a time when you could buy gun specific wax, I may even still have some around...somewhere...but I haven't seen any in years. Short of that any car wax will work.

You always used to hear about Renaissance Wax from collectors. I've just always used SC Johnson paste wax available at any of your big hardware stores. It comes in a round yellow tin.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1420111

Chubbs

JoshNC
12-11-14, 10:56
Thanks guys! I'm looking into Robar and Ionbond. I will look into wax as well for my mags that have yet to rust. I really appreciate the advice.

MBtech
12-11-14, 11:07
Thanks guys! I'm looking into Robar and Ionbond. I will look into wax as well for my mags that have yet to rust. I really appreciate the advice.

You won't be disappointed with anything from Robar

bluegreen
03-06-15, 19:32
You always used to hear about Renaissance Wax from collectors. I've just always used SC Johnson paste wax available at any of your big hardware stores. It comes in a round yellow tin.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1420111

Chubbs

I'll second this. I've used Renaissance Wax for lots of things, including mags. My most common application is on the ways of my Jet wood lathe. I scrub em down with soap and water when they get dirty and the head won't slide free. I dry them with a fan and some acetone and rub them down with RW. It lasts a good long time and definitely slows the rust on the raw steel. It lubricates pretty well, too. If you do some good surface prep, a small amount will protect metal pretty well. I believe it was originally made to protect old leather book bindings?

Believe it or not, I also use it on my commuter bike to protect the paint. This is a real high wear application and it holds up ok. If you're interested, do a google search for "hot waxing bicycle chains" and you'll get some interesting opinions about the lubricating properties and longevity of hard wax. It works well in certain applications because crud isn't attracted to it the same way it is to oil.

Johnson paste wax or bowling alley wax would probably work great, too.