PDA

View Full Version : Good inrto instructional videos for new AR owners?

JG007
12-10-14, 17:58
I've had a couple people ask me about shooting with them, some police and fire included, that have never fired an AR before.

Any good YouTube "AR 101" videos I could have them watching to save money to me and hassle?

These likely will be casual shooter's than might going to the range a handful of times, so having them spend 'big bucks' probably isn't likely

oneeek020
12-10-14, 18:03
I think I have some in my favorites file and I'll pull them up later on tonight if I have the time.

P. S. Spellcheck much

Sasahara
12-10-14, 23:59
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TqLnBd1udM

Get some snap-caps ! Really like this vid

mdrums
12-12-14, 07:31
I bought the Magpul videos. Really good with top name instructors....tons of information.

M&P15T
12-12-14, 12:27
I got one of the Magpul Dynamics AR15 DVDs with my BCM HSP carbine. Lots of good info on proper technique, but focused on very close-in shooting. Nothing beyond 25 yards or so, except how to sight an AR in.

Speaking of which, I need to re-watch it before I go to the range again. Practice some of it.

JG007
12-12-14, 18:25
I got the Hailey AR intro vid with a BCM, I need to dig that out and let some friends watch it. There has got to be some decent youtube vids though where I can just text a link

cbx
12-12-14, 22:52
Some guys like to rag on the old magpul videos, but I learned a ton. I say that as a person who's used weapons for a little over twenty years before watching the carbine videos.

For a person who knows weapon basics, I think it's a great place to start. Its a bit long, but for someone who wants to put in the time, why not. It opened mind to a lot of things that had never occured to me.

If a person has never held a weapon, no. That takes personal training in my opinion. There are so many bad habits out there that exist because the individual didn't have literally 5 minutes of good instruction.

I've watched alot of the you tube videos from the more well known channels. Defoor, macnamara, Proctor, Vickers, Haley, Vtac, and trigger time tv have excellent content. Trigger time has lots of videos from all kinds of sme's. Shlowlight has some distance and precision rifle content. Tiborasaurusrex had hours and hours of marksman elr content. An absolute mind boggling amount. Miculek has a little education in it, but mostly insane skill shooting.

The are many more. Vickers channel it's my favorite (Watching miniguns and grenade launchers, what's more to like?). Just a great blend for the enthusiast.

Pat Mac (he reminds me of a great guy I knew in college we used to call captain insano), Defoor, Proctor, Vtac, and Haley focus more on drills and training.

I hope I'll have the opportunity and means to be able to take courses from all of these instructors on the future.

Sorry for the long winded post.

M&P15T
12-13-14, 08:25
I got the Hailey AR intro vid with a BCM, I need to dig that out and let some friends watch it. There has got to be some decent youtube vids though where I can just text a link

Yeah, I think I got the same DVD. I think it was Haley and The Beard in it, or just Haley. Fitting since it came with Haley's BCM.

D53
12-13-14, 13:07
There are so many Youtube videos out there. the issue is making sure that your friends see the videos with reputable training and not some guys that just have good production value. But like others have posted, if you tell them to go the Youtube route, stick with names like: Vikers, McNamara, Lamb, Proctor, Haley, Costa, Hackathorn

Liberty06
12-13-14, 15:59
Eric, from Green Eye Tactical has put together a great series of videos. He is not as well known as some of the other instructors but I've found his free video series to be quality.

https://www.youtube.com/user/GreenEyeTactical