PDA

View Full Version : Plican still the go to hard case?

WillBrink
12-12-14, 08:12
I have a few smaller Pelican cases I use for cameras, fire arms, etc. I was thinking of getting a larger case, the 1650. I know one competitor is the Storm case but I have no experience with the product. Any others? None up to Pelican quality? Best prices you know on Pelican cases?

Sensei
12-12-14, 08:20
I have a few smaller Pelican cases I use for cameras, fire arms, etc. I was thinking of getting a larger case, the 1650. I know one competitor is the Storm case but I have no experience with the product. Any others? None up to Pelican quality? Best prices you know on Pelican cases?

I've got several of the larger 1750 series cases. I've never tried Storm or any other case. Most of mine have been ordered through Amazon or bought locally when on sale. Either way, you should not pay more than about $175.

WillBrink
12-12-14, 08:30
I've got several of the larger 1750 series cases. I've never tried Storm or any other case. Most of mine have been ordered through Amazon or bought locally when on sale. Either way, you should not pay more than about $175.

The 1750 is a dedicated gun case. The 1650 is larger and square ish with wheels. About the best price I have seen is $220 at B&H Photo:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=75519&gclid=Cj0KEQiAwaqkBRDHx6rzxMqAobgBEiQAxJazJxiEh2oTTPnaw2qm2w9bQ5O-LsubQdim4yKQtfolNqwaAlno8P8HAQ&Q=&is=REG&A=details

1_click_off
12-12-14, 08:52
Believe Pelican purchased Storm and you can now get a pelican storm case. I have a Pelican Storm for one of my rifles and really like it.

The newer ones have metal reinforcements on the holes for locks.

WillBrink
12-12-14, 08:54
Believe Pelican purchased Storm and you can now get a pelican storm case. I have a Pelican Storm for one of my rifles and really like it.

Hmmm,, then what's the difference between Pelican and Storm?

1_click_off
12-12-14, 08:59
not sure without going to the pelican website and comparing.

Voodoo_Man
12-12-14, 09:07
I have an SKB case (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008UQ6YP6/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B008UQ6YP6&linkCode=as2&tag=reviews01f3-20&linkId=YQNYTXKF4CZHDWG2).

When I bought it there was a sales rep that gave me various pro's over cons it has compared to the pelican. He said they are lifetime warranty on anything and insured when you ship/fly.

http://i.imgur.com/U6isnL5.jpg

The one linked (and pictured above) fits two rifles with stocks closed position or three-four taken apart.

jpmuscle
12-12-14, 13:36
The 1750 is a dedicated gun case. The 1650 is larger and square ish with wheels. About the best price I have seen is $220 at B&H Photo:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=75519&gclid=Cj0KEQiAwaqkBRDHx6rzxMqAobgBEiQAxJazJxiEh2oTTPnaw2qm2w9bQ5O-LsubQdim4yKQtfolNqwaAlno8P8HAQ&Q=&is=REG&A=details
I've been eye balling the 1650 as well. That and a 1510 to keep some things in when traveling.

If you order from here you can get custom foam or just have the case lined. I'm thinking of opting for the mid grade option and getting the interior foam block cut in 1" thick levels closed cell and using some of it to line the case myself. Atleast that way I can vary the depth of the case as needed.

http://www.casesbypelican.com/app-1650.htm

Shipping blows tho.

WillBrink
12-12-14, 16:11
I've been eye balling the 1650 as well. That and a 1510 to keep some things in when traveling.

If you order from here you can get custom foam or just have the case lined. I'm thinking of opting for the mid grade option and getting the interior foam block cut in 1" thick levels closed cell and using some of it to line the case myself. Atleast that way I can vary the depth of the case as needed.

http://www.casesbypelican.com/app-1650.htm

Shipping blows tho.

Pricy, but some great options there.

Jellybean
12-12-14, 16:19
I seem to remember Hardigg being a pretty good choice as well.
A quick google search seems to lead to them now being a subsidiary of Pelican as well?
So then... I guess Pelican is it then... :laugh:
Some of the Hardigg cases turn up as Milsurp from time to time, so maybe you could save some money as well.

halmbarte
12-12-14, 17:39
I did the 'traveling equipment repair' thing for about 5 years, flying to customer sites about every week with around 100lbs of tools and spares in two Pelican cases.

At the end of five years both cases were scratched, scraped, dented, and gouged, but both were still perfectly useable. Guys I worked with used other cases that were cheaper and typically bought new ones about every year or so as the aluminum ones got to warped to close and the harder plastics cases had the corners smashed in.

I still buy Pelican cases for stuff I want to protect. Never had to use their warranty service either.

H

ramairthree
12-12-14, 17:59
Storm is a little lighter for similar sizes.

Big Pelican cases are HEAVY empty.

But that is why they are ten times as strong as a Contico box or something.

lunchbox
12-12-14, 18:34
If your willing to deal with Bocraps their having a sale on Pelican cases http://www.botach.com/manufacturers/pelican/pelican-long-cases/ wife got me a 1720 for Xmas gift.. Of course they sent an email later saying they were back ordered and will be next week before delivery, always a crap shoot with them. You'll get your stuff, just when is usually the big ? with them.

MountainRaven
12-12-14, 21:13
I seem to remember Hardigg being a pretty good choice as well.
A quick google search seems to lead to them now being a subsidiary of Pelican as well?
So then... I guess Pelican is it then... :laugh:
Some of the Hardigg cases turn up as Milsurp from time to time, so maybe you could save some money as well.

Hardigg bought Storm out some years ago. And then a couple years ago, Pelican bought out Hardigg.

t1tan
12-12-14, 22:23
Found this recently, dated 2010 though so not sure if the thoughts are the same today. I was looking at a Pelican 1690 but may go with a similarly sized Storm.

Pelican sucks, the weaker less reliable product won the war, while the more robust lost to popularity, marketing and hype.

What is this based on? Isn't OPT a Storm Case dealer??? Yes we are, we could have been EITHER, I had a choice, it was VERY VERY EASY. Pelican has failed me operationally on numerous occassions; in humid environments their seals have failed, their clasps have broken, and the list goes on and on.

I have built over 70 pallettes with both types of cases, holding everything from weapons to personal gear, to surveillance equipment. I have DXed more Pelican cases than you can imagine, we used to have a stack of broken 1700's in the team room. The seals fall out, the clasps break, the lock holes are too small for gov't locks and have to be drilled.

Hardigg (Storm Case) lost to consumer blindness, unfortunately in a capitalist society the better marketer wins. SC got bought, Pelican deleted all coyote and other colors from the SC line (gee, we make that color already) and castrated the competition, I placed an order a few months ago and the Pelican reps explained that they only offer SC in black and OD now.

I will admit Pelican made advances in quality in the last 5 years, but their old shit is SHIT, and their new stuff is MARGINAL, but not quite the quality of resin cast cases made by SC. I would carry them now, but choose to sell SC still, since people don't come to me for cases, I only carry one brand, and it's the BEST brand based on my experience as gun guy who was in charge of 40 or so gun boxes, from both brands, with only one brand that consistently failed.

You can talk shit about SC all you want, but I have stacked tons of gear on them for numerous international flights side by side with Pelicans and the SC items ALWAYS rolled off and rarely if ever experienced any type of failure. The Pelican stuff, holy ****, I would hate to be in charge of their warranty department, **** that job, "thankless" would have to describe it.

If you want to break it down technically, when you put hundreds of pounds of shit on a rubber/plastic Pelican case it bows and crushes, it's clasps may even come open, and its seals go to shit fast. When you do the same to a resin cast case, it holds strong. There's a reason a lot of companies send their stuff in Hardigg items, this has probably changed, since they are now bought and being dwindled into obscurity...

http://www.lightfighter.net/topic/pelican-1750-vs-storm-im3300?reply=2843236915323539#2843236915323539

jpmuscle
12-12-14, 23:01
That's interesting. Honestly I think that is one of the only complaints (and most severe) I've come across about Pelican cases... I wish there was more objective reviews on this stuff on there somewhere instead of just hearsay.

t1tan
12-12-14, 23:52
That's interesting. Honestly I think that is one of the only complaints (and most severe) I've come across about Pelican cases... I wish there was more objective reviews on this stuff on there somewhere instead of just hearsay.

Agreed, I don't have much experience with Pelican and none with Storm so I can't comment on either. I'm at the point where I'll buy based on the best deal I can get and hope it turns out for the best.

WillBrink
12-13-14, 07:47
Agreed, I don't have much experience with Pelican and none with Storm so I can't comment on either. I'm at the point where I'll buy based on the best deal I can get and hope it turns out for the best.

Heard very few complaints about Pelican cases myself. The two I have have tolerated a lot of abuse over the years, but can't say I ever dropped one from a helo either.

Outlander Systems
12-13-14, 08:53
Heard very few complaints about Pelican cases myself. The two I have have tolerated a lot of abuse over the years, but can't say I ever dropped one from a helo either.

I have a large assortment of pelican cases that have served as everything from weapons storage, to holding high end electronics.

We have some at work for storing our $30,000 to $40,000 total stations and GPS units that are pushing 10 years old with 40+ hours a week of HARD use. And considering the way our field crews treat their equipment (like it ain't theirs), that speaks volumes to me. Our guys could break a steel cube with a rubber mallet.

You'd be hard pressed to find anything better.

moonshot
12-13-14, 09:28
I can't comment on Pelican vs anyone else as I've only used Pelican, but it's served me well as a travel case for expensive and/or fagile gear. One thing to keep in mind - Pelican comes with open cell foam - easy to customize for storage but it acts like a moisture sponge. Do not store long-term in any open cell foam, unless the item is first placed in something like a Zcorr bag.

I use Pelican as a travel case, never a storage case (even short-term storage). I had heard that you can order closed cell foam for them, but I do not know if this is still true.

Outlander Systems
12-13-14, 09:41
I can't comment on Pelican vs anyone else as I've only used Pelican, but it's served me well as a travel case for expensive and/or fagile gear. One thing to keep in mind - Pelican comes with open cell foam - easy to customize for storage but it acts like a moisture sponge. Do not store long-term in any open cell foam, unless the item is first placed in something like a Zcorr bag.

I use Pelican as a travel case, never a storage case (even short-term storage). I had heard that you can order closed cell foam for them, but I do not know if this is still true.

http://www.foambymail.com/CF/solid-charcoal-firm-foam.html

http://www.mycasebuilder.com

SteyrAUG
12-13-14, 12:59
Pelican really needs to offer a cut foam option for basic platforms. I've seen a lot of people really hack them up bad.

Failure2Stop
12-13-14, 13:13
Pelican really needs to offer a cut foam option for basic platforms. I've seen a lot of people really hack them up bad.
Blah, I can't stand cut foam.
I'd much rather have a soft case inside the hard case. Offers more utility, better space management, and more room for evolution.

WillBrink
12-13-14, 14:49
BTW, just ordered one of Amazon for $219 with foam. By far the best price I have seen.

WillBrink
12-13-14, 14:49
I'd much rather have a soft case inside the hard case. Offers more utility, better space management, and more room for evolution.

What type of soft case?

Failure2Stop
12-13-14, 14:52
What type of soft case?
Tactical tailor and Armageddon both do good cases for that application. I'll see what the pns are.

B Cart
12-13-14, 15:28
If you don't want to spend $220 +, I have had great success with the Plano 54" All Weather hard cases. They come with Pick-n-pull foam and have wheels and water tight seals and lock tight. They are $115 at Midway and you can easily fit a big bolt gun or multiple ARs. I also have the 42" version for a single scoped AR with spare upper. I have beat them up and they have held up great.

http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/699219/plano-gun-guard-aw-series-double-scoped-rifle-gun-case-with-wheels-52-polymer-black?srccode=cii_17588969&cpncode=42-15572380-2&ads=&cm_mmc=pf_ci_google-_-pf_ci_google-_-pf_ci_google-_-pf_ci_google

WillBrink
12-13-14, 15:40
If you don't want to spend $220 +, I have had great success with the Plano 54" All Weather hard cases. They come with Pick-n-pull foam and have wheels and water tight seals and lock tight. They are $115 at Midway and you can easily fit a big bolt gun or multiple ARs. I also have the 42" version for a single scoped AR with spare upper. I have beat them up and they have held up great.

http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/699219/plano-gun-guard-aw-series-double-scoped-rifle-gun-case-with-wheels-52-polymer-black?srccode=cii_17588969&cpncode=42-15572380-2&ads=&cm_mmc=pf_ci_google-_-pf_ci_google-_-pf_ci_google-_-pf_ci_google

I'm not looking for a gun case per se. Would likely be a mixture or electronics, and other sensitive stuff. Would obviously double nicely as a case to transport fire arms in too. The case I just purchased would take an AR broken down to upper/lower and a few handguns too I'd figure if needed for that use.

SteyrAUG
12-13-14, 16:12

Well I wouldn't want dozens of cases for each of my HK, FAL, AK and AR rifles. But it would be nice to have a custom foam case for my primary "go to" rifle.

jpmuscle
12-13-14, 16:13

The link I posted earlier offers closed cell foam.

BTW, just ordered one of Amazon for $219 with foam. By far the best price I have seen.
1650 or?

Failure2Stop
12-13-14, 16:14
Well I wouldn't want dozens of cases for each of my HK, FAL, AK and AR rifles. But it would be nice to have a custom foam case for my primary "go to" rifle.
Not my choice, but you're more than welcome to do whatever makes you happy.

MountainRaven
12-13-14, 16:34
Tactical tailor and Armageddon both do good cases for that application. I'll see what the pns are.

I only see a couple of cases on their websites that might fit the bill:

The TT Covert Carry Case - Double Rifle (36 or 44x13.5x4.5 inches), TT Covert Case - Single Rifle (36 or 44x12.5x2.25 inches), and the Armageddon Perfect Carbine Case (35 inches, no specs on height or width listed).

Looks like the 36" TT Double Rifle case should fit perfectly in a Pelican 1700. A little undersized for a Storm iM3100. The TT Single Rifle case would probably also work with the same. The 44" TT cases should also fit in the Storm iM3200, but again, a little undersized.

SteyrAUG
12-13-14, 16:35
Not my choice, but you're more than welcome to do whatever makes you happy.

Actually I've never done it. Too much hassle. It isn't available from the factory and too much trouble to get it done on my own. As a result I have a fewer Pelican cases than I might otherwise own.

WillBrink
12-13-14, 17:15
The link I posted earlier offers closed cell foam.

1650 or?

1650 yup.

fixit69
12-13-14, 17:29
Thanks for the info moonshot, I have a large pelican case coming and did not know this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

foxtrotx1
12-14-14, 13:44
We use pelican cases in my lab to haul our expensive gear for data collection around the world. Some of the machines are 60-70 grand. The cases keep them safe.