PDA

View Full Version : Navy Weapon Laser System LaWS Test

jmp45
12-12-14, 08:51
LaWS. I was wondering when this would come of age.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbjXXRfwrHg

sinlessorrow
12-12-14, 19:19
One step closer to man portable laser systems.

cbx
12-13-14, 00:24
Wait till the rail gun gets deployed. I think it's great how aggressive the navy is with technology.

ABNAK
12-13-14, 08:44
So it's not like in sci-fi movies where you can see the beam. It's not visible to the naked eye, huh?

jmp45
12-13-14, 08:52
I believe not visible, a post claims less than $1 a shot. I'm curious about effective range, atmosphere conditions I would think would be a huge factor. Seems to be getting attention from abroad..;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbjXXRfwrHg

cbx
12-13-14, 10:34
I know a guy who used to for general dynamics back in the day. Said there was a time when a lot of development went in to lasers. He said certain things were easy to kill, others very hard. It all works on focused energy. I asked him what happened to all of it as far as going away from the mainstream. Said he didn't know (or didn't want to say) he went to work boeing on the jsf concept after he retired from GD.

TriviaMonster
12-13-14, 10:51
So it's not like in sci-fi movies where you can see the beam. It's not visible to the naked eye, huh?

Not sure what wavelength they are using. I am guessing it's the shortest wavelength they can handle, likely way, way below visible light. The element they use emits photons when the electrons move from a more excited state to their normal state. Depending on the type of laser and elements involved the spectrum is never ending. Human eyes have a very narrow spectrum that we can view. Green is typically our peak sensitive light color and it slopes down rapidly from there.

It's no different in principle than an IR emitter for .mil use, you just need the right tools to view it.

ABNAK
12-13-14, 18:28
Not sure what wavelength they are using. I am guessing it's the shortest wavelength they can handle, likely way, way below visible light. The element they use emits photons when the electrons move from a more excited state to their normal state. Depending on the type of laser and elements involved the spectrum is never ending. Human eyes have a very narrow spectrum that we can view. Green is typically our peak sensitive light color and it slopes down rapidly from there.

It's no different in principle than an IR emitter for .mil use, you just need the right tools to view it.

Gotcha.

IIRC a couple of years ago wasn't there a laser mounted on an AC-130 and tested in Afghanistan? I recall the comments about making Taliban crispy critters.

EDIT---Yep, this is it (doesn't say anything about Afghanistan but I'll bet White Sands Missile Range ain't the only place it was tried out):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Tactical_Laser

moonshot
12-14-14, 09:46
Interesting. I hope it can be deployed from its cover and targeted faster than what was shown on the video, or it won't be able to keep up with even minor evasive maneuvering.

How well do these work in various sea states and bad weather?

Grand58742
12-14-14, 10:30
How well do these work in various sea states and bad weather?

And charge time in between. If I understand the science correctly (and likely don't) the beam would need some time between the shots to recharge (?) prior to the next target.

So rate of fire would likely come into play as well. But all in all, it's an amazing concept.

sinlessorrow
12-14-14, 15:41
And charge time in between. If I understand the science correctly (and likely don't) the beam would need some time between the shots to recharge (?) prior to the next target.

So rate of fire would likely come into play as well. But all in all, it's an amazing concept.

Give it 20 years and we will see a huge improvement. Anytime a new technology is developed look how fast it advances to be smaller and faster.

FlyingHunter
12-14-14, 20:55
Give it 20 years and we will see a huge improvement. Anytime a new technology is developed look how fast it advances to be smaller and faster.

Give it 20 years and it will perhaps replace the M4. Then we will have the M4laser forums. Deer hunting will go to a new level...trigger pull to cooked jerky in split seconds.

sinlessorrow
12-14-14, 21:22
Give it 20 years and it will perhaps replace the M4. Then we will have the M4laser forums. Deer hunting will go to a new level...trigger pull to cooked jerky in split seconds.

Only issue we face is the energy source for such a thing.

But look at this.
http://rs1img.memecdn.com/meet-my-luxurious-10mb-computer-b-h_o_3006431.jpg

Then compare it to what is available today. In 30 years we went from that, to computers that are over 1 billion times faster and more powerful.

Once we find a powerful energy source that works beyond batteries the sky will be the limit for laser technology.