PDA

View Full Version : Military Forum?

DMark
06-27-08, 13:17
Why not a Military Forum like the LEO Forum?

For those of us whom the M4 is our "work-gun" such a forum could be helpful.

Army Chief
06-27-08, 13:27
Perhaps it is time for something along these lines; that, or we could adopt the 10-8 approach and just combine the LEO and military boards with a formal credentialling requirement.

Nobody likes to be locked out, of course, but I do find it strange that, even as a former LEO and career military officer, I do not meet the qualifications to participate in the M4CN LEO board.

Chief

C4IGrant
06-27-08, 13:39
Perhaps it is time for something along these lines; that, or we could adopt the 10-8 approach and just combine the LEO and military boards with a formal credentialling requirement.

Nobody likes to be locked out, of course, but I do find it strange that, even as a former LEO and career military officer, I do not meet the qualifications to participate in the M4CN LEO board.

Chief

Not a bad idea on the .Mil forum.

Did you read the reqs on how to gain access to the LE forum? https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=9970

My guess is that the reason why cannot get in is because you are no longer full time.

C4

DMark
06-27-08, 13:58
I came across this forum while researching a M4 training issue that came up with a unit that I was working with.

While I have a direct link into TRADOC & the AMU along with the horsepower that can make some folks jump...., sometimes the indirect approach is better when asking questions in order to keep my footprint small.

A forum for those of us active/guard/reserve/retired military members might provide some interesting cross-talk.

Just my 2 cents worth.

C4IGrant
06-27-08, 14:09
I came across this forum while researching a M4 training issue that came up with a unit that I was working with.

While I have a direct link into TRADOC & the AMU along with the horsepower that can make some folks jump...., sometimes the indirect approach is better when asking questions in order to keep my footprint small.

A forum for those of us active/guard/reserve/retired military members might provide some interesting cross-talk.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Agree with you.

C4

DocGKR
06-27-08, 15:07
If anything, there are already too many sub-forums. It seems better to have one combined military and LE forum like Lightfighter.

Army Chief
06-27-08, 15:16
Did you read the reqs on how to gain access to the LE forum? https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=9970

My guess is that the reason why cannot get in is because you are no longer full time.

I did indeed, and you're entirely correct: since the terms were -- and are -- quite clear on that point, I didn't even petition for inclusion.

The truth is that I happen to accept the limitations of the current policy; I was just observing that it felt "odd" to be deemed unqualified, despite having spent my entire adult life in active federal and/or municipal uniformed service under arms.

The 10-8 approach is somewhat more inclusive in this regard, but it isn't my purpose to criticise our current policy; I'm just offering another perspective to the degree that it might ultimately prove beneficial.

Chief

K.L. Davis
06-27-08, 17:04
If anything, there are already too many sub-forums. It seems better to have one combined military and LE forum like Lightfighter.

like a GWOT forum?

Open to all that have been, or are still in the ride... and those in line waiting :cool:

Dave L.
06-27-08, 17:18
I proposed this idea of a military forum shortly after "they" created the LE forum and I had zero responses.
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=10132

Failure2Stop
06-27-08, 20:56
I am not really sold on the "military" forum. What will be discussed there that wouldn't be acceptable for civilian consumption? OPSEC/PERSEC will still apply, so specific details will still be absent. What advantage will be gained for the community, other than some unnecessary perception of elitism or segregation?

There are places to go that require credentialing to read or post, and there is very little that goes on in those places (with regards to ARs) that is not also brought up here.

This site has great personalities from all facets of employment. From former action guys, to average joes, with a sprinkiling of manufacturers and experts, all sharing information. That synergy is what makes this site excel over others, to me at least.

But hell, it ain't my site.

RogerinTPA
06-27-08, 21:09
I think that the members of M4C would benefit from the experience from all it's experienced members (Civilian/LEO/Military). Perhaps an open military forum where the non-mil types could have access to and still get a sense of community, without all the "Send us a copy of your orders, DD214 and copy of your CAC ID card non-sense and exclusion. There are lots of military forums out for that. I'm a member of a few. Those venues are there to discuss and vent without disclosing classified materiel but not to the classified/secret squirrel level that's required of the LEO forum on this sight. We are all adults and should keep the free flow of information above board/accessible and not subrosa. Taken to the extreme, if we all created a sub forum, pretty soon we'd be so compartmentalized, M4C would lose it's purpose, the free flow of info would stop and lose the sense of community contribution I for one enjoy. Just my 2 cents.;)

Buck
06-27-08, 21:23
I did indeed, and you're entirely correct: since the terms were -- and are -- quite clear on that point, I didn't even petition for inclusion.

The truth is that I happen to accept the limitations of the current policy; I was just observing that it felt "odd" to be deemed unqualified, despite having spent my entire adult life in active federal and/or municipal uniformed service under arms.

The 10-8 approach is somewhat more inclusive in this regard, but it isn't my purpose to criticise our current policy; I'm just offering another perspective to the degree that it might ultimately prove beneficial.

Chief

PM Sent

DMark
06-27-08, 21:59
Good discussion and many good points about keeping things in the open. Comments by those of us in the military who carry/carried the M4 day in and day out would be helpful to all.

Then one has to ask - - - Why a closed LEO section? :confused:

Buck
06-27-08, 22:24
Then one has to ask - - - Why a closed LEO section? :confused:

The LE forum is a resource that M4C provides to the LE community… There are things posted and discussed in the LE forum that are LEO sensitive in nature... In addition to discussing LE tactics and equipment, members often seek advice from their LEO peers on other sensitive topics... It is simply a place where LE professionals can discuss matters privately...

Additionally the true name, address, telephone number, and other contact information of several members is also posted there...

These things simply would not be possible in a public forum...

B

DMark
06-27-08, 22:46
Well Buck....,

You have done something that most of the times takes a senior General Officer to do - - - Shut Me Up.

Please disregard my asking about a Military section.

6 - OUT!

Boomer10
06-28-08, 00:57
The LE forum is a resource that M4C provides to the LE community… There are things posted and discussed in the LE forum that are LEO sensitive in nature... In addition to discussing LE tactics and equipment, members often seek advice from their LEO peers on other sensitive topics... It is simply a place where LE professionals can discuss matters privately...

Additionally the true name, address, telephone number, and other contact information of several members is also posted there...

These things simply would not be possible in a public forum...

B

Just playing devil's advocate here...

There could possibly be reasons for the military personnel to have discussions on tactics and equipment as well. Different services do things differently, as do different units in the same service. ;)

Again, just playing devil's advocate. I honestly couldn't care either way.
BTW, 11 years active duty and future LEO as well.

Buck
06-28-08, 01:08
Just playing devil's advocate here...

There could possibly be reasons for the military personnel to have discussions on tactics and equipment as well. Different services do things differently, as do different units in the same service. ;)

Again, just playing devil's advocate. I honestly couldn't care either way.
BTW, 11 years active duty and future LEO as well.

Im not throwing stones at the idea of a Military forum... I was just answering the question as to why we have a restricted LE Forum...

B

Jay Cunningham
06-28-08, 01:15
I think we should keep it just like it is.

recon by fire
06-28-08, 03:08

I came to this forum because I've found that I can get the best information about the M4. Information from people that use them professionally, and not so much plinking. I've done two tours in Iraq. I've taken several advanced marksmanship classes, and for the last two years I've been working as a weapons instructor. I've trained 3500+ Army, Navy, and Airforce, senior NCOs and Officers. I don't think that "qualified enough" is what it takes to get into the LE forum. Don't get me wrong, I respect the knowledgable people here. I don't know about all the cool gadgets that I can put on my rails, or all the different ways to sling a rifle, but I believe I've seen every possible malfunction that a Colt M4 can have and I can train a monkey to shoot straight, so yeah, I felt kinda odd too.

Dave L.
06-28-08, 04:55
How about if the military forum was open to view by LE and general public:eek: , but only verified users would be allowed to post there?
Just to help keep some uniformity and weight in the responses. The rest of everyone here would benefit from the validity of the discussions IMHO.

I do understand the LE forum reasons for making it private- I'll never argue about that, and nor am I interested in a Military Forum because they have theirs...

Just my 2 cents-
Dave

ToddG
06-28-08, 07:47

+1 ... F2S's point was great. The more we sectionalize and factionalize the forum, the less information is getting shared. The solider who logs into a mil forum and asks a question might not get the best possible answer(s) because the best solution may have been dreamt up by a cop, contractor, or even an individual enthusiast.

Gutshot John
06-28-08, 07:57

I completely agree.

Sidewinder6
06-28-08, 20:08
Well Buck....,

You have done something that most of the times takes a senior General Officer to do - - - Shut Me Up.

Please disregard my asking about a Military section.

6 - OUT!

Try here:

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/index.php

http://www.socnet.com/

This may or may not help. In either case, safe travels.

C4IGrant
06-28-08, 20:16
How about if the military forum was open to view by LE and general public:eek: , but only verified users would be allowed to post there?
Just to help keep some uniformity and weight in the responses. The rest of everyone here would benefit from the validity of the discussions IMHO.

I do understand the LE forum reasons for making it private- I'll never argue about that, and nor am I interested in a Military Forum because they have theirs...

Just my 2 cents-
Dave

Changing peoples accounts to give them access to one forum and not to another cause staff members a lot of work. The LE forum ties up on mod and a staff person already.

C4

CarlosDJackal
06-29-08, 01:26
Not a bad idea on the .Mil forum.

C4

I personally think that excluding LEOs who do not work full time (i.e.: Volunteers like myself) is a travesty. We share the same risks as the full-timers but without the pay, retirement plan, or the benefits (meidcal, dental, etc.). And yet, we are not good enough to share the information that could help us survive another shift? Pretty elitist, if you ask me.

At the very least, it would be nice to gain read-only access to the LEO boards just so we can receive pertinent information.

As far as Military-only boards, as long as it is not limited just to active-duty personnel (I'm an Army Reservist) I think it's a great idea. I have had some military-based questions that I would not dare post in an open forum. JM2CW.

ADDED: I don't really care if things stay the way they are. I was just voicing my opinion.

C4IGrant
06-30-08, 08:45
I personally think that excluding LEOs who do not work full time (i.e.: Volunteers like myself) is a travesty. We share the same risks as the full-timers but without the pay, retirement plan, or the benefits (meidcal, dental, etc.). And yet, we are not good enough to share the information that could help us survive another shift? Pretty elitist, if you ask me.

At the very least, it would be nice to gain read-only access to the LEO boards just so we can receive pertinent information.

As far as Military-only boards, as long as it is not limited just to active-duty personnel (I'm an Army Reservist) I think it's a great idea. I have had some military-based questions that I would not dare post in an open forum. JM2CW.

ADDED: I don't really care if things stay the way they are. I was just voicing my opinion.

Don't blame me as I didn't make the rules for the forum. Ask the guys that run it for a reason.

C4

DMark
06-30-08, 12:51
Try here:

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/index.php

http://www.socnet.com/

This may or may not help. In either case, safe travels.
WILCO!

Moving Now........