PDA

View Full Version : who makes the best Mi-spec buffer/receiver tube?

Lawdog-1
12-13-14, 12:16
I shoot five-m4s that I have and 2 LMT, SOPMODS stocks and 1-LMT Receiver tube and 1-BCM Buffer tube and 3-B5, SOPMOD stocks. The B5 SOPMOD stocks won't move on the BCM Tube without a lot of force and a Bitch to get it off the tube. Which brand tube does everybody use on their B5 stocks?

TacticalMark
12-13-14, 12:55
In my small sample size of 2, both were BCM's and fit snug with the enhanced B-5 and bravo stock. My third is on a factory BCM lower and also fits snug. By snug I mean minimal wiggle but still easy to adjust. If you have one that is too tight, you might want to take some sandpaper and wrap it around a dowel and slowly work the inside of the stock.

JBecker 72
12-13-14, 12:57
Both my rifles have BCM tubes and the SOPMOD stocks fit very tight but they aren't hard to move.

Lawdog-1
12-13-14, 13:29
I guess my BCM stock is bigger than normal. I have to tie the B5 SOPMOD to a vise and run paracord through the QD Mount and pulldown the lever with my right hand and use my left hand to snatch the lower Rec to the left and pull tube out.

Lawdog-1
12-13-14, 13:32
B5 SOPMOD fits good on the LMT Tube and a tad wiggle on my Colt LE6920 Tube.

Jwknutson17
12-13-14, 13:36
If you have one that is too tight, you might want to take some sandpaper and wrap it around a dowel and slowly work the inside of the stock.

Easiest way that Ive done is whats posted above. Your talking a few thousands needing to go probably, and will only take a few minutes. Cheaper and faster then alternatives.. I would give that a try.

Lawdog-1
12-13-14, 13:38
I reather buy LMT Tube for my three B5 SOPMODs.

cdb
12-13-14, 14:01
I've got several BCM tubes that fit my B5 SOPMOD with no problem. Snug but not tight.

seb5
12-13-14, 14:26
In my experience with 3 B5's they tend to run a bit tighter than anything else I've had. My tubes are all BCM or Noveske. I doubt it's the tubes that vary that much. I had one that wouldn't hardly move at all. As stated above sandpaper is a good bet.

TacticalMark
12-13-14, 14:30
I guess my BCM stock is bigger than normal. I have to tie the B5 SOPMOD to a vise and run paracord through the QD Mount and pulldown the lever with my right hand and use my left hand to snatch the lower Rec to the left and pull tube out.
If you are going through this much trouble to remove the stock, then your tube is out of mil-spec dimensions. If you have calipers, measure the diameter of the tube and contact BCM. I bet they would replace it with a new one.

GH41
12-13-14, 14:44
Didn't B5 have some issues with early stocks? Could the OP have bought new old stock?

3ACR_Scout
12-13-14, 15:11
I know LMT had trouble with early SOPMOD stocks that were smaller than spec - maybe you're thinking of those? I have one from 2004 or so that works fine on the LMT tube it came with, but it's very tight on my BCM, so there does seem to be some slight variation in milspec tube diameters.

Dave

Grand58742
12-13-14, 17:20
I do recall B5 having some issues.

For what it's worth, I've been using the Rainier Arms on most of my recent builds:

http://www.rainierarms.com/rainier-arms-milspec-buffer-tube-kit-coupon-code-sale

And haven't had a problem with the B5.

joeyjoe
12-13-14, 17:27
yup. initial runs of B5 stocks were quite snug (subjectively, too snug) on milspec receiver extensions. You need to verify if its the stocks or the receiver extension that's causing you issues. Im betting its the B5 stocks.

uffdaphil
12-13-14, 17:44
B5s are the only too-tight stocks I have experienced. No biggie. A couple minutes sanding made them acceptable. Much better than the more commonly encountered rattle traps.

Berserkr556
12-14-14, 20:26
I have half a dozen carbines with BCM receiver extensions and B5 SOPMOD stocks. I like that the stocks fit tight but they move with ease. My stocks went onto the BCM RE easy. I never took one off until I read the OP. Mine come off with ease. OP sounds like maybe you bought an early B5 stock. IIRC Crane didn't give B5 the correct specs and the first generation stock were a pain to get on the RE and hard to move.

Lawdog-1
12-14-14, 21:36
I got two B5 Coyote SOPMOD stocks from a big wheel at B5 the first of the year, so two of them should be current production stocks. I guess that leaves my BCM tube must be a tad bigger than normal.

tonyxcom
12-14-14, 22:50
I guess you need to measure before drawing any conclusions.

WS6
12-15-14, 01:06
The B5 is the issue. I've got multiple B5 stocks and they all fit differently on the same tube.

sinlessorrow
12-15-14, 13:34
LMT, BCM, Colt, VLTOR. Take your pic of those 4 brands and you cannot go wrong.

WS6
12-15-14, 13:41
LMT, BCM, Colt, VLTOR. Take your pic of those 4 brands and you cannot go wrong.

My Vltor A5 buffer tube is worlds nicer than my BCM or Daniel Defense.

buckkiller35
12-15-14, 13:57
My Vltor A5 buffer tube is worlds nicer than my BCM or Daniel Defense.

How is it nicer?

WS6
12-15-14, 14:13
How is it nicer?

The outsides all look about the same, but the inside of the Vltor was nice and smooth. Not so much with the BCM or Daniel Defense. Lots of radial machine marks in both.

markm
12-15-14, 14:14
Colt makes the best carbine receiver extension. They smooth the inside of theirs really well, and it makes for a glass like action when the spring moves inside the tube.

WS6
12-15-14, 14:20
Colt makes the best carbine receiver extension. They smooth the inside of theirs really well, and it makes for a glass like action when the spring moves inside the tube.

My Vltor is EXTREMELY smooth. Like a mirror. However, the action spring still sounds "raspy" because it itself is a bit rough.
That said, does Colt make anything but the 4-position RE's?

samuse
12-15-14, 16:04
My Vltor is EXTREMELY smooth. Like a mirror. However, the action spring still sounds "raspy" because it itself is a bit rough.
That said, does Colt make anything but the 4-position RE's?

Nope. How hard would it be to drill one more hole??

Swatdude1
12-16-14, 22:09
How is it nicer?
Impact extruded 7075 T6 aluminum. Vltor is all I run.