PDA

View Full Version : Anyone want a Humvee?

C-grunt
12-13-14, 23:58
DOD is auctioning off 4000 surplus Humvees. Bidding starts at 10,000.

http://www.armytimes.com/story/military/tech/2014/12/12/humvee-auctions-to-public-a-first/20300263/?sf34613531=%5B%271%27%5D

SteyrAUG
12-14-14, 01:13
IIRC these cannot be registered for street use.

ETA: Yep... "selling for off-road use only."

But if I lived someplace a little more rural and had that kind of "fun money" I could see getting one.

Wake27
12-14-14, 01:47
I think its great they're doing this - good way to get some money back. I'd be all for it if I didn't know how shitty they are.

TXBK
12-14-14, 09:34
It's absolutely more economical to auction them instead of scrapping them, but the "off-road use only" deal ruins it for most people that may be interested.

Grand58742
12-14-14, 10:16
It's absolutely more economical to auction them instead of scrapping them, but the "off-road use only" deal ruins it for most people that may be interested.

And 10 grand for an initial price is kind of steep as well.

Ryno12
12-14-14, 11:04
I only see the "off road use only" as a way to release the seller of liability. It's not a big deal for the end user purchasing the vehicles. People do it all the time with home built cars & motorcycles. Get the DOT inspection done & they're legal to register & drive on public roads. Of course any necessary repairs will have to be made prior to the inspections. Laws may vary state to state but here in WI it's not a problem, just an extra step.

TXBK
12-14-14, 11:31
I only see the "off road use only" as a way to release the seller of liability. It's not a big deal for the end user purchasing the vehicles. People do it all the time with home built cars & motorcycles. Get the DOT inspection done & they're legal to register & drive on public roads. Laws may vary state to state but here in WI it's not a problem, just an extra step.

The way that I read it, the buyer has to sign a release and it is still restricted to off-road use. I suppose that if your state would allow registration, then inspection would be easy.

JBecker 72
12-14-14, 11:34
The problem is they don't meet safety or emissions standards. This will keep them off the road in the majority of states.

mkmckinley
12-14-14, 12:02
There's probably no offroad vehicle out there with the capabilities of the Humvee at least not for anything close to that price. I think AM General can upgrade a military model for street use. On the other hand 8 mpg.

TXBK
12-14-14, 12:19
Here is another link, from Military Trader. http://www.militarytrader.com/jagfile/hummers-unleashed

There is also some discussion on SteelSoldiers.

Kain
12-14-14, 12:32
Would love to have a Humvee, BUT I don't have much use for one here, no idea how jacked up the vehicles are, how roughly they have been used, and MPH is just shit. There are other vehicles that I feel would more more practical for GP use. That said, if I had money to burn, I would seriously look into a Humvee, or two and let my mechanically inclined friend work them over and then run the piss out of them.

Renegade
12-14-14, 13:45
Easy registration in some states. Other issues is will AMG sell spare parts. In the past they have refused to sell parts to civilians owning Humvees to protect Hummer sales. But since Hummer is no longer sold, selling parts to keep these going could be a major revenue stream. They only sold 12000 Hummers, so 4000 is a lot of service revenue.

Ryno12
12-14-14, 14:10
Totally agree. I think AMG would be fools to not support the parts market for civilians. It's only cash in their pocket.
I see this as a win/win situation for everyone involved.

Averageman
12-14-14, 14:30
I would rather have a nice truck.
These things have to be beaten half to death.

SteyrAUG
12-14-14, 16:51
I only see the "off road use only" as a way to release the seller of liability. It's not a big deal for the end user purchasing the vehicles. People do it all the time with home built cars & motorcycles. Get the DOT inspection done & they're legal to register & drive on public roads. Of course any necessary repairs will have to be made prior to the inspections. Laws may vary state to state but here in WI it's not a problem, just an extra step.

Last time around when they did this, there was NO registration option. The military HV doesn't meet several "street legal" criteria and they can't be modified into compliance.

Kain
12-14-14, 16:57
I would rather have a nice truck.
These things have to be beaten half to death.

An extreme understatement in my opinion.
If they were only beaten half to death they'd cost more. ;)

cbx
12-14-14, 19:41
Don't know about now but they used to have 6.5 gm diesels. About as junk as it gets for an engine.

Ryno12
12-14-14, 19:53
Last time around when they did this, there was NO registration option. The military HV doesn't meet several "street legal" criteria and they can't be modified into compliance.

Why can't they be modified to be street legal? Who says they can't be modified into compliance?

JBecker 72
12-14-14, 19:58
Why can't they be modified to be street legal? Who says they can't be modified into compliance?

The Federal Government. They were sold to the Military as non emission and safety compliant vehicles. You or I can't get that exemption in most places. Now some states just don't give a crap about registering a non compliant vehicle for the road. Pretty sure in AZ you can get a plate for a Polaris RAZR side by side off-road vehicle.

http://www.pleasurizer.com/ntnlsec.jpg

Ryno12
12-14-14, 20:02
The Federal Government. They were sold to the Military as non emission and safety compliant vehicles. You or I can't get that exemption in most places. Now some states just don't give a crap about registering a non compliant vehicle for the road. Pretty sure in AZ you can get a plate for a Polaris RAZR side by side off-road vehicle.

So again, who says it can't be modified?

I'll also add that emission requirements vary by state. We have home built motorcycles & cars driving around on the streets that have never seen an emission test station. As long as they pass minimum safety standards, they're good to go.

SteyrAUG
12-15-14, 00:49

When the last batch was offered years ago there were several people on arfcom who wanted to buy them with the hopes of modifying them into compliance. What each and every one of them discovered is that it can't be done. I'm assuming nothing has changed.

Ryno12
12-15-14, 05:14
When the last batch was offered years ago there were several people on arfcom who wanted to buy them with the hopes of modifying them into compliance. What each and every one of them discovered is that it can't be done. I'm assuming nothing has changed.

I guess I still don't understand what is meant by "it can't be done."

I checked WI requirements last night & 2006 & earlier diesels don't need emission testing. So from an EPA standpoint, nothing needs to be done. That's just one of many exemptions that these HVs would fall under.

Averageman
12-15-14, 06:20

I checked WI requirements last night & 2006 & earlier diesels don't need emission testing. So from an EPA standpoint, nothing needs to be done. That's just one of many exemptions that these HVs would fall under.

Even if you can meet EPA standards, that doesn't mean it is road worthy.
Pretty much you would have to go over every nut and bolt on the entire vehicle, anything out of spec. would need to be replaced (oh and yes there are going to be some surprises for you) and then to get it inspected your going to have to go over a ton of paperwork with the DMV.
You're going to throw a lot of money at it to make it work, it's your cash, but there are much better ways to get a miserable ride in a cold truck.

TXBK
12-15-14, 07:00

From the GP site:
This item is offered for Off-Road Use Only.
Buyer will be required to sign a Hold Harmless Agreement.
No title will be available. Bill of sale available at request of buyer (fee may apply).

It is a condition of purchase, plain and simple. I'm sure that some of these HMMWV's will find their way onto roads, and all that will do is ensure that more are not offered later on.

Ryno12
12-15-14, 07:03
Even if you can meet EPA standards, that doesn't mean it is road worthy.
Pretty much you would have to go over every nut and bolt on the entire vehicle, anything out of spec. would need to be replaced (oh and yes there are going to be some surprises for you) and then to get it inspected your going to have to go over a ton of paperwork with the DMV.
You're going to throw a lot of money at it to make it work, it's your cash, but there are much better ways to get a miserable ride in a cold truck.

I never said I was going to get one. Nor do I have any desire for one. Just stating that the "off road use only" from an EPA emission standpoint isn't much of a big deal for some people that some are making it out to be. Of course it would likely need to be inspected to meet safety standards but again, state laws vary.
I think it's pretty obvious that these would be project vehicles for anyone who decides to get one.

Ryno12
12-15-14, 07:13
From the GP site:
This item is offered for Off-Road Use Only.
Buyer will be required to sign a Hold Harmless Agreement.
No title will be available. Bill of sale available at request of buyer (fee may apply).

It is a condition of purchase, plain and simple. I'm sure that some of these HMMWV's will find their way onto roads, and all that will do is ensure that more are not offered later on.

Again, it's a release of liability for the seller. Nothing more, nothing less. They don't care what happens to these things after the transfer of ownership happens. They just don't want people coming after them in the event the wheels come off and it jumps the curb & kills somebody's grandma. I know people, including myself, who have signed these "off road use only" agreements for motor vehicles.

A bill of sale is also enough to ultimately register a vehicle for road use in some states.

Really, I have no intent of purchasing one so it doesn't much matter to me. Don't want one, don't get one. For those who do, more power to you & have fun with it.

Eurodriver
12-15-14, 07:19
You know, with the MSRP of a Polaris Ranger at $14,000 if you owned a bunch of property these wouldn't be a terrible idea.

If they had armor these would be a steal...

TXBK
12-15-14, 08:04
It is strange to me that a 50 yo duece can be driven straight off of the auction lot, but these 30 yo HMMWV's are being offered as off-road only. But, to me, if those are the rules then those are the rules. I have always wanted a deuce and have had cash in hand several times. I would rather have a HMMWV due to its size and maneuverability over the deuce. I think that it would make a great platform for hunting, camping, and general fun with the family. When your acreage is all spread out, it just isn't feasible to load it on a trailer to get it moved around. There is definitely nothing cheap about playing off-road, whether it is an ATV, UTV, full-size vehicle,...etc.

JBecker 72
12-15-14, 08:12

It can be done in some places. I bet it would be easy in AZ. But it's not something you can get on the road in all 50 states legally.

markm
12-15-14, 10:35
Not sure how they did it, but CAVARMS had a mil Hummer they'd drive around town here in AZ all the time.

OH58D
12-15-14, 16:03
Here in New Mexico, spend about $400 and you can have the MVD generate a title (after a month long search of the vin/serial number to see if it's stolen). I went that route with a 1998 M101A3 trailer I bought. I don't see what's to prevent you from running it on the road. It will have to have lights for the license plate and normal running lights front and back. Outside of Albuquerque and Santa Fe there are no emissions requirements.

alvincullumyork
12-15-14, 18:31
It all really depends on the state and even the specific DMV you go to. In CO people are plating brand new KTM 2 stroke motorcycles, some dealerships have even done before the sale. In other parts of CO it's harder to do. I just made an offer on a plated (in GA) two stroke dirt bike myself. I may even be able to bring it back to Oregon and get an OR plate for it.

scoutfsu99
12-15-14, 18:45
You couldn't pay me to take a .mil truck. I know what I've done to these things and what I've seen others do. No thanks. I'm definitely not wealthy enough.

SteyrAUG
12-16-14, 00:33

I'm not trying to give you a hard time about it. I just remember a few guys who were hoping to do the same last time around and it wasn't possible. As with most things "government" there is some stupid rule.

That said, I suppose it would be possible to rebuild every part that is "non compliant" but I wonder if that wouldn't be terribly cost prohibitive. I just wish I had a big house on a hill and a bunch of play money, I'd buy one as a lawn ornament.