PDA

View Full Version : Glass Bedding

StingerDan
12-14-14, 09:59
Glass bedding. Is it worth it? I have a Winchester Ultimate Shadow SS in 7mm Magnum I have added a Timney trigger and a Houge full length Aluminum bedded stock. This my dedicated go-to hunting gun, and I was thinking about finishing with a bedding job, just didn't know if it was worth the money to get it done, as I don't have a place to do it myself.30389

jurassic
12-14-14, 16:37
I don't think you can glass bed a Hogue stock, they are made of a molded plastic material. Although I guess you could skim the aluminum with bedding material, but I bet it would not help much if any.

StingerDan
12-14-14, 18:25
I heard they drill small holes in the stock to hold the compound.

CRT2
12-15-14, 05:58
McMillan's thoughts on glass bedding: "No, after installing thousands of stocks we have observed that 98% of the rifles are most accurate when free floated."

StingerDan
12-15-14, 06:15
McMillan's thoughts on glass bedding: "No, after installing thousands of stocks we have observed that 98% of the rifles are most accurate when free floated." Interesting. Yea I don't know that much about it. I appreciate your responses. Dan

T2C
12-15-14, 07:23
How accurate is your rifle in it's current state? What is the maximum distance you expect to shoot at game? What are your accuracy needs? 3 MOA? 2 MOA?

If you are talking about free floating the barrel and bedding the action to the stock, there are alternatives depending on your accuracy needs.

StingerDan
12-15-14, 07:45
How accurate is your rifle in it's current state? What is the maximum distance you expect to shoot at game? What are your accuracy needs? 3 MOA? 2 MOA?

If you are talking about free floating the barrel and bedding the action to the stock, there are alternatives depending on your accuracy needs. Last time I shot it from a bench it shot 3/4 MOA. Where I Deer I would like to be able to take a shot out to and past 400 yards, as it is wide open wheat fields and sage. This years shot. 40 yards, but I did pass on a few nice Deer out past 400. I was thinking if I bedded the action, (it is "free floating now") it would give me the consistency I need to have the confidence to take that shot. I know it is no substitute for practice, which I have been getting more of lately, (long range) but i was thinking in the long run it might help. Dan.

Watrdawg
12-15-14, 10:29
I sent my Rem 700 to Hill Country Rifles 6-7 years ago and had them do a lot of work on the rifle. Part of what they did was to glass bed the action. The barrel itself was free floating. Part of bedding the action was to make sure that the recoil lug was trued up and that the channel it pits into is also square with the recoil lug. My stock is a HS Precision stock and has a full length bedding block but they still needed to do a bit of glass bedding. When I got my rifle back it shot less than 1/2 MOA with factory Hornady ammunition. I shoot Federal now and it still is a 1/2 MOA gun

T2C
12-15-14, 10:32
Last time I shot it from a bench it shot 3/4 MOA. Where I Deer I would like to be able to take a shot out to and past 400 yards, as it is wide open wheat fields and sage. This years shot. 40 yards, but I did pass on a few nice Deer out past 400. I was thinking if I bedded the action, (it is "free floating now") it would give me the consistency I need to have the confidence to take that shot. I know it is no substitute for practice, which I have been getting more of lately, (long range) but i was thinking in the long run it might help. Dan.

Bedding helps some rifles and some rifles don't really need it. If the stock is not touching the barrel forward of the receiver, you should be good to go. If the rifle will shoot 1-1/2 MOA @ 400 yards with your hunting loads, I don't believe I would tinker with it.

The only accuracy suggestion I would make for a hunting rifle is to make sure the action screws are properly tightened and place witness marks on them. If you see the screw slot does not line up with a witness mark, you know the action screw is getting loose.