PDA

View Full Version : TLR1 Durability - AKA: When do you replace your weapon light?

Eurodriver
12-14-14, 16:11
I was issued a TLR-1 in 2008, and I've been using the **** out of it since. I actually got it from the unit we fell in on, and it was beat up and scratched when I got it.

Just recently, it has started playing games with me. It will not turn on regardless of switch position, and I have to bang on it a few times in order to get it to switch on. Once it comes on, it will be very bright and stay on until I turn it off. Then it might come on again, or it might not. The toggle switch is not loose.

Unfortunately, I don't know if it is a battery issue or not as I realized I was out of 123As when I went to look for some to troubleshoot this issue. I was wondering if this sounds like a connectivity issue with the light or if it may be batteries. How long do these things typically last? Does anyone have any experience with Streamlight's customer service?

Weapon Light Replacement.

This light has sentimental value to me. The finish above the bezel is completely toast, but it has been all over the world blinding Iraqis and checking out bumps in the night and it's still as bright as the day I got it. This thing, without question, has seen 200 hours of runtime and 7,500 rounds of ammunition. I'm not one to put a sentimental value on my life, so I've already ordered a replacement TLR-1HL and batteries as it's probably due for a replacement anyway. Even If the light is still good, I was wondering what the typical life expectancy of a weapon mounted light is. Especially on a handgun. I suppose 6 years of frequent use is good, but I was under the impression LED lights were pretty indestructible.

When do you replace your WML?

Kain
12-14-14, 16:20
Never taken a light to the breaking point, at least not an LED one. Had 3 TLR series of lights at one point. One had a few hundred rounds on it. The other two had several Ks without issue though I wasn't beating the hell out of them either. They have since been sold off since I found Surefire x300s to be a better/more userfriendly to me lights and have since been using them pretty hard. So I suppose I replaced my when I found something better for the money and standardized my handgun weapon lights. I imagine others replaced their weapon lights as they upgraded or broke them. If the light is beginning to give you issues then I would say it is time to move it along to someplace other than mainline gear.

Voodoo_Man
12-14-14, 16:25
If you have not read my review on the tlr1s here it is - http://vdmsr.blogspot.com/2013/11/streamlight-tlr-1s-led-rail-mounted.html

I had three at one point specifically because I had one fail on me during a thing and I couldn't replace it until the next day.

I had one that the glass broke on it and it took SL three weeks to replace.

I had one submerged in water and it stopped working (even though they are supposed to be water-tight?) - after the review posted above.

My last one runs like a top, no issues.

They are solid lights.

Eurodriver
12-14-14, 16:40
Just read your blog, nice post Voodoo, thanks for sharing.

I'm curious though, you said "They are solid lights", but you've had three fail.

I'm assuming you attribute those failures to things any light could fail from (like the lens breaking during an impact), and aren't specific to the TLR series?

I considered switching to the X300 series, but for $135 the TLR-1HL was hard to pass up, Kain. If I can get another 6 years of use out of this (and this one won't be going on any deployments!) I will be happy.

Voodoo_Man
12-14-14, 17:05

I'm curious though, you said "They are solid lights", but you've had three fail.

I'm assuming you attribute those failures to things any light could fail from (like the lens breaking during an impact), and aren't specific to the TLR series?

I considered switching to the X300 series, but for $135 the TLR-1HL was hard to pass up, Kain. If I can get another 6 years of use out of this (and this one won't be going on any deployments!) I will be happy.

Everything fails if you mess with it enough.

I carried a TRL1s on duty for about 2-3 years. Broken glass was attributed to a muzzle strike. Submerging was when my gun was submerged in water (long story) and the last one runs well.

A few people I know have the HL version, they are seriously good lights - I would highly recommend getting rechargeable batteries (and a charger) because you will go through them very quickly.

Kain
12-14-14, 17:12

Oh, never said or wanted to imply that the TLR series is a bad series. It just came down to preferring the method of operation of teh X300 series over the TLR series. Especially when it comes to shooting left handed. As far as cost... i think I paid about $180 for my ultra, and $110 for the X300 I have. Ease of use was worth it to me. Not to say I wouldn't buy a TLR1 again, just not high on my list.

Kotuku
12-14-14, 21:56
nice review voodoo